Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist

Posted: 10/6/2011 7:01 PM

My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


I've realized that a small percentage of users ruin my experience here.  They have thousands of posts to their name, yet rarely say anything of value.  That minority lowers my overall opinion of our fanbase and it's not fair, so it's time to hit the "mute" button.  

I "ignored" a few folks that are incapable of having a realistic view of our program.  One overly negative nelly, and two that must be on heavy drugs to look at a scenario and see the hallucinations they claim they see (need I say more?).

Give it a try--I think you'll find your experience here is more fulfilling once you weed out the outliers that are incapable of a seriously, thoughtful, and informed discourse.   

PS: the best part is if those folks reply to this thread, I won't even see it!

Blocklist usage

    Do you use the blocklist?

  1. Poll closed on 10/13/2011
  2. The what?: 5 votes
  3. I've thought about it, but haven't: 13 votes
  4. Yes, but rarely: 11 votes
  5. Yes, a fair bit: 3 votes
  6. I probably have more blocked than visible: 0 votes
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/6/2011 7:32 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


I'm pretty sure I know the three you're talking about wink

I don't block anyone, because even though I think a good percentage of the posters here are certifiably insane (myself included at times), I like seeing everyone's opinions.  I also like seeing other people tear those extreme Kool-Aid drinking and/or negative Nancy opinions to pieces.  It makes this place more fun.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/6/2011 7:37 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 



Iagreewithsp wrote: I've realized that a small percentage of users ruin my experience here.  They have thousands of posts to their name, yet rarely say anything of value.  That minority lowers my overall opinion of our fanbase and it's not fair, so it's time to hit the "mute" button.  

I "ignored" a few folks that are incapable of having a realistic view of our program.  One overly negative nelly, and two that must be on heavy drugs to look at a scenario and see the hallucinations they claim they see (need I say more?).

Give it a try--I think you'll find your experience here is more fulfilling once you weed out the outliers that are incapable of a seriously, thoughtful, and informed discourse.   

PS: the best part is if those folks reply to this thread, I won't even see it!

Blocklist usage
So did you ignore them because you were observing and didn't like what they posted or you actually posted and didn't like the response that one or two people gave you?

I'm confused because you have 51 posts to your credit. confused
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/6/2011 7:48 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


I think it was Dirty Harry that invented the ignore button.  It has been revised many times since then and like all things these days, it is not as good as the original.  pirate
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/6/2011 9:13 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 



Iagreewithsp wrote: I've realized that a small percentage of users ruin my experience here.  They have thousands of posts to their name, yet rarely say anything of value.  That minority lowers my overall opinion of our fanbase and it's not fair, so it's time to hit the "mute" button.  

I "ignored" a few folks that are incapable of having a realistic view of our program.  One overly negative nelly, and two that must be on heavy drugs to look at a scenario and see the hallucinations they claim they see (need I say more?).

Give it a try--I think you'll find your experience here is more fulfilling once you weed out the outliers that are incapable of a seriously, thoughtful, and informed discourse.   

PS: the best part is if those folks reply to this thread, I won't even see it!

Blocklist usage
Thank you I am now blocking your posts.
W-I-N-T
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/6/2011 9:24 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


clap.gifclap.gif
ChainsawFan45 wrote: I'm pretty sure I know the three you're talking about wink

I don't block anyone, because even though I think a good percentage of the posters here are certifiably insane (myself included at times), I like seeing everyone's opinions.  I also like seeing other people tear those extreme Kool-Aid drinking and/or negative Nancy opinions to pieces.  It makes this place more fun.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/6/2011 9:40 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


I think, for the most part, people can have a pretty civil discussion on here.   I can ignore the posts (without ignoring the posters entirely) of those very select few that I find completely ridiculous.  But even posters I disagree with have good things to add.  I come to this board for both sides of the spectrum.  Basketball, I probably come off a little more negative.  Football, I'm probably a little more neutral to positive.  But, I appreciate that most perspectives (within reason on the negative side) are allowed here.
You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first.

Last edited 10/6/2011 9:41 PM by BleedOandB11

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/7/2011 12:32 AM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


For the life of me I can't think of the negative nellies. Can't say I've paid attention to the name if they are that negative. But as far as the one sippin' on that drink, I think we all know who tha guy is.wink.
I don't block because it's fun to see what he posts. He comes up with some outragious crap though. There's a difference between confidence in our team and the unworldly statements made sometimes.

Last edited 10/7/2011 12:36 AM by Cubeydoo

Reply | Quote
  • HTower
  • Member
  • 313 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 10/7/2011 8:59 AM

RE: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


And now for the obligatory, overused joke:

"I don't see any posts in this thread, what's going on???"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/7/2011 1:09 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 



BleedOandB11 wrote: I think, for the most part, people can have a pretty civil discussion on here.   I can ignore the posts (without ignoring the posters entirely) of those very select few that I find completely ridiculous.  But even posters I disagree with have good things to add.  I come to this board for both sides of the spectrum.  Basketball, I probably come off a little more negative.  Football, I'm probably a little more neutral to positive.  But, I appreciate that most perspectives (within reason on the negative side) are allowed here.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for opposing viewpoints and seeing all sides.  But just like the guy that keeps screaming "{insert politican} is worse than Hitler" every time a political conversation comes up--it's tiresome.  In my private life I have very little time for such people and tend to avoid conversations with them.  Here, I want to hear from the opinions of rational folks with something to contribute and mute the voices of others.

I'm also not just talking about the couple of kool-aid drinkers by any means.  In fact, I'm probably more concerned with those that just feel they *need* to post on every topic, whether they have anything intelligent to say or not.  
Again, just like in "real life", if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all.  
We know who the authoritative posters are--think of "Harv" on the basketball side--when he posts, people listen because he has intelligent things to say.  That's who I want to hear from.  For those with thousands and thousands of posts to their name--they're either super intelligent or just windbags who can't shut up.  I choose to ignore windbags and just wondered how many others have enjoyed the same bliss as I have since doing so.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/7/2011 1:16 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 



619illinibooyah wrote:
Iagreewithsp wrote: I've realized that a small percentage of users ruin my experience here.  They have thousands of posts to their name, yet rarely say anything of value.  That minority lowers my overall opinion of our fanbase and it's not fair, so it's time to hit the "mute" button.  

I "ignored" a few folks that are incapable of having a realistic view of our program.  One overly negative nelly, and two that must be on heavy drugs to look at a scenario and see the hallucinations they claim they see (need I say more?).

Give it a try--I think you'll find your experience here is more fulfilling once you weed out the outliers that are incapable of a seriously, thoughtful, and informed discourse.   

PS: the best part is if those folks reply to this thread, I won't even see it!

Blocklist usage
So did you ignore them because you were observing and didn't like what they posted or you actually posted and didn't like the response that one or two people gave you?

I'm confused because you have 51 posts to your credit. confused
I have 51 posts because I only felt like there were 51 occasions where I had something useful to contribute to the discussion.  

To answer your question, I come here to get knowledge, insight, and engage in discussion from fellow fans, many of whom are much more knowledgeable than I am.   It's rare that I have a fully formed opinion, so it's not that I post a claim and don't like dissenting followups.  In fact I come here to become educated so that I can form an opinion.  Generally, I value the community we have.  Unfortunately, a minority of folks lack any real knowledge or insight and love to prove it via each of their excessive posts.  My time is valuable and I reserve it for those who's opinions I respect (regardless of if.  It's hard to imagine that most don't feel the same way.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-- Abraham Lincoln 

Or for the religious folk:
"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." -- Bible, 'Proverbs' 17:28.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/23/2011 11:27 PM

Re: My suggestion to fellow Illini: use the blocklist 


Iagreewithsp wrote: I've realized that a small percentage of users ruin my experience here.  They have thousands of posts to their name, yet rarely say anything of value.  That minority lowers my overall opinion of our fanbase and it's not fair, so it's time to hit the "mute" button.  

I "ignored" a few folks that are incapable of having a realistic view of our program.  One overly negative nelly, and two that must be on heavy drugs to look at a scenario and see the hallucinations they claim they see (need I say more?).

Give it a try--I think you'll find your experience here is more fulfilling once you weed out the outliers that are incapable of a seriously, thoughtful, and informed discourse.   

PS: the best part is if those folks reply to this thread, I won't even see it!

Blocklist usage

.... sunk costs can be an anchor and drag you down if you keep worrying about them...

Reply | Quote