Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

It was only one game...

  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2906 posts this site

Posted: 08/29/2014 5:21 AM

It was only one game... Post Rating (2 votes)


but you gotta love that dominant SEC defense on display between two ranked teams:  aTm 52, south Carolina 28.  Even the victorious a and m gave up 433 yards (usc gave up 680 and just under 40 first downs... given a and m ran 99 plays that a first down every 2.5 plays... hmmm... where have I seen such poor defensive play... hmmm...).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 1:16 PM

Re: It was only one game... Post Rating (2 votes)


Never expected that out of aTm considering their "stars" were gone on offense.  Thought they would give up a lot of yards since their defense wasn't that great last year and hadn't really improved.  Also thought they were a stretch for the top 25.  SC was the bigger surprise and having it done to them at home.  Yikes!  Do they miss Clowney that much???
Reply | Quote
  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2906 posts this site

Posted: 08/30/2014 2:21 PM

It was only one game... ucla style Post Rating (2 votes)


Watched that game against Virginia: ucla not looking like a ranked team.  Their offensive line looked really weak, and, despite three defensive scores, I was not that impressed with the defense.  Virginia outplayed the bruins except for those three defensive touchdowns.  I know, good teams make their own breaks, but there was really only one great defensive play to score, and the fumble return for a touchdown was really a lucky bounce.

The bruins have a lot to prove for me to believe their preseason national championship hype.

Reply | Quote
  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2906 posts this site

Posted: 08/30/2014 4:12 PM

Re: It was only one game... Cal style Post Rating (1 vote)


The Bears are improved... five wins are a possibility this season... maybe even six.  Biggest ifs:

coaching (some head scratchers on offense)
defensive pressure (need to gamble a bit more... not a fan how frequently the Bears dropped eight into coverage)
offensive line can create some holes for runners other than Rubenzer

but I quibble... good game Bears!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/31/2014 8:07 AM

Re: It was only one game... Cal style Post Rating (2 votes)



BluesandGold2 wrote: The Bears are improved... five wins are a possibility this season... maybe even six.  Biggest ifs:

coaching (some head scratchers on offense)
defensive pressure (need to gamble a bit more... not a fan how frequently the Bears dropped eight into coverage)
offensive line can create some holes for runners other than Rubenzer

but I quibble... good game Bears!

Would like to see them against Pac-12 competition before estimating win potential.  Not sure NU is a very good barometer, but a great win on the road nonetheless

Thought the coaches may have gotten a little too greedy continuing to run Rubenzer.  It's not going to work as well going forward unless he does more than just run himself from that formation.

Hard to gamble with a secondary that is still just treading water.  Bigger and faster WR's are going to give them trouble.  However, a better rush might take some of the pressure off of the secondary.

The o-line needs to get their feet moving.  They are slow to the corners and the RB's are having to hold up to long waiting for blocks.  Need to run inside more until that can be remedied.  Ruberzer will not last long taking shots like he did yesterday.
.
Reply | Quote
  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2906 posts this site

Posted: 08/31/2014 9:41 AM

Re: It was only one game... Cal style 



ZULUasKONO wrote:
BluesandGold2 wrote: The Bears are improved... five wins are a possibility this season... maybe even six.  Biggest ifs:

coaching (some head scratchers on offense)
defensive pressure (need to gamble a bit more... not a fan how frequently the Bears dropped eight into coverage)
offensive line can create some holes for runners other than Rubenzer

but I quibble... good game Bears!

Would like to see them against Pac-12 competition before estimating win potential.  Not sure NU is a very good barometer, but a great win on the road nonetheless

Thought the coaches may have gotten a little too greedy continuing to run Rubenzer.  It's not going to work as well going forward unless he does more than just run himself from that formation.

Hard to gamble with a secondary that is still just treading water.  Bigger and faster WR's are going to give them trouble.  However, a better rush might take some of the pressure off of the secondary.

The o-line needs to get their feet moving.  They are slow to the corners and the RB's are having to hold up to long waiting for blocks.  Need to run inside more until that can be remedied.  Ruberzer will not last long taking shots like he did yesterday.
.
NU not a good barometer?  Nobody is a good barometer at this point.  NU was thought to be in the top four of the Big 10.  ucla was thought to be a top 25 team... just like aTm and south carolina.  I channel surfed and focused on a few games, and none of the teams I watched were without warts and defects.  Early season miscues were on display, so my critiques of the Bears and both valid and overly harsh. 

The key is which teams can continuously improve throughout the season.  Cal's o-line will not get faster, so the Bears will need to make the holes in the middle and find other ways to get outside other than the pulling guard move.  The secondary will not get taller, but they looked vastly improved over last season.  I think they only gave up one really big play.  Improvement here to zero almost makes them first rate.  Every team is going to give up plays of 15 to 25 yards on occasion.  The goal should be zero plays for longer gains.  Heck, they even got a couple of interceptions.  Vastly improved (even though it was only one game).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/31/2014 7:12 PM

Re: It was only one game... Cal style 



BluesandGold2 wrote:
ZULUasKONO wrote:
BluesandGold2 wrote: The Bears are improved... five wins are a possibility this season... maybe even six.  Biggest ifs:

coaching (some head scratchers on offense)
defensive pressure (need to gamble a bit more... not a fan how frequently the Bears dropped eight into coverage)
offensive line can create some holes for runners other than Rubenzer

but I quibble... good game Bears!

Would like to see them against Pac-12 competition before estimating win potential.  Not sure NU is a very good barometer, but a great win on the road nonetheless

Thought the coaches may have gotten a little too greedy continuing to run Rubenzer.  It's not going to work as well going forward unless he does more than just run himself from that formation.

Hard to gamble with a secondary that is still just treading water.  Bigger and faster WR's are going to give them trouble.  However, a better rush might take some of the pressure off of the secondary.

The o-line needs to get their feet moving.  They are slow to the corners and the RB's are having to hold up to long waiting for blocks.  Need to run inside more until that can be remedied.  Ruberzer will not last long taking shots like he did yesterday.
.
NU not a good barometer?  Nobody is a good barometer at this point.  NU was thought to be in the top four of the Big 10.  ucla was thought to be a top 25 team... just like aTm and south carolina.  I channel surfed and focused on a few games, and none of the teams I watched were without warts and defects.  Early season miscues were on display, so my critiques of the Bears and both valid and overly harsh. 

The key is which teams can continuously improve throughout the season.  Cal's o-line will not get faster, so the Bears will need to make the holes in the middle and find other ways to get outside other than the pulling guard move.  The secondary will not get taller, but they looked vastly improved over last season.  I think they only gave up one really big play.  Improvement here to zero almost makes them first rate.  Every team is going to give up plays of 15 to 25 yards on occasion.  The goal should be zero plays for longer gains.  Heck, they even got a couple of interceptions.  Vastly improved (even though it was only one game).
NU is not a great team.  NU may not be in the top 4 of their division, and they are in the weaker division of their conference.  The barometer to find out where this team is will come when they start playing in conference.  Cal's battle all year will be to stay healthy since they don't have the depth, especially on defense.
Reply | Quote