Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014

Avatar

Posted: 07/16/2014 2:51 PM

Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)


I do not think that it is going to be very pretty season for the Golden Bears in 2014. When Sonny Dykes was hired like most people I had hope. You always do when a new coach is hired.

What I have come to realize though is that a Sonny Dykes type of offense would have been a success if it had been implemented at Cal two or three years ago. I will not succeed now because almost half of the Pac 12 now runs some kind of spread hurry up style offense.

The advantage of a Bear Raid style offense is that it is suppose to force an opponent to prepare for a style of offense that they are not use to facing. It is also designed to put physical pressure on the defense with the goal of wearing them down so that the offense can make plays in the 4th quarter.

With so many teams in the Pac 12 running a similar style of offense to what the Bears run, both of these "advantages" have been lost.

What the Bears now face is a conference that has superior physical talent across the board, and, programs that have better coaching staffs at every school inside the Pac 12.

Cal had a blue chip QB in Zack Kline that got run out of the program because Dykes wanted to play his guy. I will cut Dykes some slack for this though because Kline is not a spread style QB. This being said, it is still very frustrating to see quality football players leave the program.

From what I have heard there was a clash of culture between the new coaching staff and the players left over from the Tedford regime. I understand that personalities do sometimes clash. It does not mean however that you should not be able to work together.  The responsibility of integration belongs to the new coaching staff.  Apparently they did not do a very good job of this in 2013.

Why should there be tension when all a coach has to do is tell a kid to run down the field 7 yards and break it out side? Now, if the coaching staff was playing favorites, and, putting the kids that they recruited in over the more established players without regard to merit, that is an entirely different story.

No matter what the details may be. The Golden Bears are faced this year with an almost insurmountable task. Every week this season (Except for the Sacramento State game) the Bears are going to be facing teams with  superior talent and superior leadership/coaching.

I am sure the Bears are going to field a better team this year then then they did 2013. The problem is, every team on the Bears schedule has also improved.

Which will leave the Bears right back where they started. With a one win season.

The Only Nation: "THE RAIDER NATION"

Last edited 07/16/2014 3:53 PM by Belchazer

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/16/2014 6:58 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (1 vote)


I think that we have had 55 tough years, the last time we went to a Rose Bowl was in 1959.  So I guess it's all about perspective.

I sure do hope and think that we will win more than 1 game, I am thinking 3-4, but to your point, it will still be another tough year.
Go Bears!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/17/2014 2:31 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (1 vote)


If healthy I think Cal has a chance to win 3 on the low end and as many as 5 on the top end.

Northwestern:  Cal will be a problem for them if they play their game. At least for the first half. If it is close they can do some damage. Toss-up

SAC State : With Goff's experience this should be a fairly easy game for the Bears  Win

Arizona: 
IMO Cal has a chance to surprise in Tuscon .  Their secondary is not that great and the D Line has not really shown much pressure. Custom made for the upset but Arizona will still be the favorite.  Loss

CU : 
In Berkley , I see a Win

WSU: 
This is my team and I see this as a problem game for the Cougs. I think the Cougs are better overall  and they are playing at home so they should  win, but if they are not ready or turn the ball over the Bears could win.  Loss

UW : 
The Huskies could be looking ahead to play their arch enemy Oregon, not so much the coaches but the players. Cal could catch them at a good time.  Toss-up

UCLA 
Too Good I think this year. Loss

Oregon: 
Too Good Loss

Oregon State:
Probable loss but not out of the question to win at Reser.  Loss

USC:  
Catching the Trojans at the right time. They may be beat up and a little thin by Nov 13th.  Probable loss however:  Loss 


Stanford :
I think Stanford lost more than the experts realize. Not just a re-load situation so I see a possible upset here.  Toss-up

BYU: 
One of the issues here is while BYU should be pretty good they are like Boise State in that they don't really play anyone significant except for Texas early and Boise State midseason. Otherwise they will probably roll over all the opponents. They have to get up for UT and Boise State and they can kind of coast in the other games. That means they will actually get up to play Cal from the Pac 12.  Probable win for BYU.  Win.

So I see you beating Sac State and CU. Then I see the Bears having a good chance against NW, UA, and UW. Also a chance in the Rivalry game with Stanford.

That means a 2 to 5 win season depending on how it all comes together for the Bears. A few breaks and it could be much better than 2013.

Last edited 07/17/2014 2:32 PM by GoldenCougar

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/18/2014 12:14 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)


When Cal has been mediocre to bad, like most mediocre to bad teams, they do not win on the road. NW has had the whole off season to prepare for the Bears. As I stated in my post NW has better talent and depth along with better coaching. The game may be close up until the middle of the 3rd quarter. NW will win by 17.

Sac State is not a roll over game. Sac State has a veteran QB. I think the Bears will find the Hornets to be tougher then expected. The Bears should win this game but if they throw their jocks on the field and expect Sac State to hand them the win the Bears will be sadly mistaken. Bears by 10.

Even good Cal teams have always had a problem playing in Arizona. Wildcats win by 10.

Colorado will beat the Bears McIntyre is a quality head coach. He can take a team with less talent and put them in a position to compete. Bears could win this game but I still think the Buffalos come out on top. Buff by 8.

The WSU Cougars do what the Bears try to do except they do it 10 times better. WSU by 13.

The Huskies have too much talent for the Bears. Peterson is light years ahead of Sonny Dykes as a coach. Huskies by 12.

The Cardinals are a National Power. The Big Game does not have as much Mojo as you think. Cards by 24.

When BYU comes into Berkeley they will be playing for a double digit win season. The Bears season will be over and Sonny Dykes will be a lame duck coach. BYU by 14.

UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oregon State are all losses not worth putting a number on.

The Only Nation: "THE RAIDER NATION"

Reply | Quote
  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2849 posts this site

Posted: 07/19/2014 6:55 AM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 


Hmm... tough year for us Bears?  I will remember the simple phrase that helps with it all:

"That's alright, that's o.k., you'll come work for us someday."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/20/2014 10:03 AM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 


Well, if all these gloomy predictions come true I will be forced to support a coaching change.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 12:59 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)


How many practices did you attend?  After 15 minutes anyone watching the 6 QB's who were (all) given a chance to compete last Spring could see who was the most accurate, who was sailing too many passes, whose arm was weak, who could best run the ball and who could manage the offense..  There was much to criticize about the results last year...but running a quarterback out of the program (implication: unfair allocation of playing time) is not one of them.  Nor is the allegation about 'his guy'.  SD didn't recruit any of those QB's.  LR is the first one of 'his guys'...and we'll have to wait to see if LR's 'game' is so much better suited to this offense that he can displace the splendidly accurate arm of our current QB.

Last edited 07/21/2014 1:04 PM by Deutsch

Reply | Quote
  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2849 posts this site

Posted: 07/21/2014 3:13 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 



HaroldPMuller wrote: Well, if all these gloomy predictions come true I will be forced to support a coaching change.
It's pretty clear to me that one to four victories is all that can be hoped for this year, but I think Sonny gets to finish the third year before there will be any serious talk of coaching change (granted the talk will start during the third year but I pretty sure he will get to finish the third season).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/22/2014 12:12 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (3 votes)



BluesandGold2 wrote:
HaroldPMuller wrote: Well, if all these gloomy predictions come true I will be forced to support a coaching change.
It's pretty clear to me that one to four victories is all that can be hoped for this year, but I think Sonny gets to finish the third year before there will be any serious talk of coaching change (granted the talk will start during the third year but I pretty sure he will get to finish the third season).



"Its not clear to me who the coach is down there?"


I think Cal will be lucky to win any games of any import  this coming season.
I'm also guessing that serious talk about Cal coaching changes has already

begun. Sonny will really have to turn things around for Cal football to make

it to his third year. I don't see it happening from what I've seen so far.


Don't get me wrong, I think Sonny is a swell guy by all appearances, but even

by his own admission, he just isn't clear on what it takes to get big time

performance on the field. Personally, like Tedford and as we've already seen,

he makes a good mid-level college football coach, but again, I just think Cal

is out of his league, as evinced by his current recruiting so far.


Also, the fact that Sandy will be replaced indirectly implies that Sonny's

coaching and administrative actions behind-the-scenes haven't really impressed

those that need to be impressed that he has any idea about how to go about 

building a big time program in the PAC 12. If things don't go super well for Cal

football this coming season, I believe the new AD's first action will be to replace

Sonny immediately, i.e., no third year...if looking super bad early, maybe no

complete second year. Otherwise, why get rid of Sandy? Surely not just to solely

improve the APR of the football team....hahahahaaa...yeah sure. I mean, that's

not why I go to football games; how about you?

Blueblood of lod

Last edited 07/25/2014 10:30 AM by Bluebloodthescorned

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/22/2014 2:14 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (3 votes)


What B&G2 is talking about is "patience". What has "patience" done for us besides keep us out of the Rose Bowl for 55 years? Is there any team that has been more "patient" and has been rewarded for its "patience"? Army has been pretty "patient" with its coaches. How has that "patience" worked out for them? What we need is radical and ruthless transformation from top to bottom. Transformation and "patience" are mutually exclusive.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/22/2014 2:40 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



Deutsch wrote: How many practices did you attend?  After 15 minutes anyone watching the 6 QB's who were (all) given a chance to compete last Spring could see who was the most accurate, who was sailing too many passes, whose arm was weak, who could best run the ball and who could manage the offense..  There was much to criticize about the results last year...but running a quarterback out of the program (implication: unfair allocation of playing time) is not one of them.  Nor is the allegation about 'his guy'.  SD didn't recruit any of those QB's.  LR is the first one of 'his guys'...and we'll have to wait to see if LR's 'game' is so much better suited to this offense that he can displace the splendidly accurate arm of our current QB.
Deutsch thank you for posting on the thread. You make some valid points. I will agree that I may not have chosen the best words to express my feelings.

I do not think that Sonny Dykes pushed Kline out of the program in the sense of saying I want this guy gone. To phrase thing more accurately I think Kline was put behind the eight ball when Dykes was hired. Kline is a pro style QB. Kline's skill set does not and did not mesh with the style of offense that Sonny Dykes runs. Goff on the other hand ran the Air Raid style of offense in high school. Goff may not have been SD's "guy", but, it was clear that Kline was out of his element.

That being said it is still sad to see a blue chip player leave the program.

As for Goff, he is a system QB. Despite his numbers he still missed a lot of open receivers last year. I think he will improve this year. Hopefully excessive passing yardage will not be needed this season. With luck the running game will improve and this will produce a more effective offense.

We can argue about all of these little things until the cows come home. The point of my post is clear and straight forward.

The Bears will be a one win team again this season, and, if they are not careful that number could drop to zero.

The Only Nation: "THE RAIDER NATION"

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/22/2014 5:55 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 


Problem is that Kline just wasn't that good
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/22/2014 8:34 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 



YogiBear wrote: Problem is that Kline just wasn't that good
Yogi, you may be right. We will find out once Kline gets some quality coaching once he gets to Oregon State.

The Only Nation: "THE RAIDER NATION"

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/23/2014 1:53 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



Belchazer wrote:
YogiBear wrote: Problem is that Kline just wasn't that good
Yogi, you may be right. We will find out once Kline gets some quality coaching once he gets to Oregon State.
I think he can be a good QB, but this offense just was not his forte'.  He appears more suited to a pro-style offense, the kind of offense that Tedford recruited him for in the first place as you hinted to above.

Last edited 07/23/2014 1:55 PM by ZULUasKONO

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/23/2014 8:47 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 



ZULUasKONO wrote:
Belchazer wrote:
YogiBear wrote: Problem is that Kline just wasn't that good
Yogi, you may be right. We will find out once Kline gets some quality coaching once he gets to Oregon State.
I think he can be a good QB, but this offense just was not his forte'.  He appears more suited to a pro-style offense, the kind of offense that Tedford recruited him for in the first place as you hinted to above.




I too think that with the proper handling Zack will turn
out to be a premier P12 QB. 

Blueblood of lod
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/24/2014 2:45 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



Belchazer wrote:

As for Goff, he is a system QB. Despite his numbers he still missed a lot of open receivers last year. I think he will improve this year. Hopefully excessive passing yardage will not be needed this season. With luck the running game will improve and this will produce a more effective offense.

And that system is?  Based on what I saw last year, he could play in most any offensive system.  I would also suggest that any accuracy issues were more as a result of being under almost constant duress than lack of ability.  Fix the o-line and lot will fall in place.
Reply | Quote
  • BluesandGold2
  • Starting Quarterback
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 2849 posts this site

Posted: 07/25/2014 9:09 AM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



HaroldPMuller wrote: What B&G2 is talking about is "patience". What has "patience" done for us besides keep us out of the Rose Bowl for 55 years? Is there any team that has been more "patient" and has been rewarded for its "patience"? Army has been pretty "patient" with its coaches. How has that "patience" worked out for them? What we need is radical and ruthless transformation from top to bottom. Transformation and "patience" are mutually exclusive.
Hmm... I'm pretty sure I do not want Harold speaking for me.  Let me be clear: I don't expect more than four victories.  I think the if Cal wins three or four games this season Sonny will get a third season and will get to finish the season.  I am not suggesting that this is the right course of action; I am using my infinite powers of BS to forecast the future (powers shared by everyone on this board).

A not so trivial consideration is the buyout clause at a time when (supposedly) finances are tight.  On the bright side, the odds of finding a better coach this time around are much higher than they were last time.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/25/2014 11:26 AM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



ZULUasKONO wrote:
Belchazer wrote:

As for Goff, he is a system QB. Despite his numbers he still missed a lot of open receivers last year. I think he will improve this year. Hopefully excessive passing yardage will not be needed this season. With luck the running game will improve and this will produce a more effective offense.

And that system is?  Based on what I saw last year, he could play in most any offensive system.  I would also suggest that any accuracy issues were more as a result of being under almost constant duress than lack of ability.  Fix the o-line and lot will fall in place.
I am referring to the Air Raid system.. It is a simple system in concept. Goff has even stated that he could teach the Air Raid system to a 12 year old in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes.

Goff has never had to deal with a pro style offense, along with the playbook that comes along with it. If he did, he would have to suffer through the learning curve that all incoming quarterbacks go through.

Not only is the Air Raid system simple compared to a pro style offense, Goff ran this same Air Raid system in high school. Goff knows no other system. This is what makes him a system quarterback.

If Sonny Dykes is replaced in the near future, and, the Golden Bears go back to a pro style offense, you will see Goff struggle. This is not a knock on Goff. It is a natural progression.

So as of right now, yes Goff is a system quarterback.

The Only Nation: "THE RAIDER NATION"

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/25/2014 2:21 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



Belchazer wrote:
ZULUasKONO wrote:
Belchazer wrote:

As for Goff, he is a system QB. Despite his numbers he still missed a lot of open receivers last year. I think he will improve this year. Hopefully excessive passing yardage will not be needed this season. With luck the running game will improve and this will produce a more effective offense.

And that system is?  Based on what I saw last year, he could play in most any offensive system.  I would also suggest that any accuracy issues were more as a result of being under almost constant duress than lack of ability.  Fix the o-line and lot will fall in place.
I am referring to the Air Raid system.. It is a simple system in concept. Goff has even stated that he could teach the Air Raid system to a 12 year old in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes.

Goff has never had to deal with a pro style offense, along with the playbook that comes along with it. If he did, he would have to suffer through the learning curve that all incoming quarterbacks go through.

Not only is the Air Raid system simple compared to a pro style offense, Goff ran this same Air Raid system in high school. Goff knows no other system. This is what makes him a system quarterback.

If Sonny Dykes is replaced in the near future, and, the Golden Bears go back to a pro style offense, you will see Goff struggle. This is not a knock on Goff. It is a natural progression.

So as of right now, yes Goff is a system quarterback.
The same thing was said about Joe Montana too.

HS offenses are rarely anything but simple.  Goff is very intelligent and could play in any system.  You change offenses, most any QB will struggle at the beginning.  I doubt that would last long in his case, and I doubt that Tedford would have recruited him in the first place if he didn't think he could run his "pro-style" offense.
 
The Air Raid offense isn't all that simple with the reads that are required on every play by both the QB and WR's.  Not to mention the options available with each formation.  It's not an offense for dumbsh*ts.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/25/2014 5:29 PM

Re: Tough Year For The Golden Bears In 2014 Post Rating (2 votes)



ZULUasKONO wrote:
Belchazer wrote:
ZULUasKONO wrote:
Belchazer wrote:

As for Goff, he is a system QB. Despite his numbers he still missed a lot of open receivers last year. I think he will improve this year. Hopefully excessive passing yardage will not be needed this season. With luck the running game will improve and this will produce a more effective offense.

And that system is?  Based on what I saw last year, he could play in most any offensive system.  I would also suggest that any accuracy issues were more as a result of being under almost constant duress than lack of ability.  Fix the o-line and lot will fall in place.
I am referring to the Air Raid system.. It is a simple system in concept. Goff has even stated that he could teach the Air Raid system to a 12 year old in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes.

Goff has never had to deal with a pro style offense, along with the playbook that comes along with it. If he did, he would have to suffer through the learning curve that all incoming quarterbacks go through.

Not only is the Air Raid system simple compared to a pro style offense, Goff ran this same Air Raid system in high school. Goff knows no other system. This is what makes him a system quarterback.

If Sonny Dykes is replaced in the near future, and, the Golden Bears go back to a pro style offense, you will see Goff struggle. This is not a knock on Goff. It is a natural progression.

So as of right now, yes Goff is a system quarterback.
The same thing was said about Joe Montana too.

HS offenses are rarely anything but simple.  Goff is very intelligent and could play in any system.  You change offenses, most any QB will struggle at the beginning.  I doubt that would last long in his case, and I doubt that Tedford would have recruited him in the first place if he didn't think he could run his "pro-style" offense.
 
The Air Raid offense isn't all that simple with the reads that are required on every play by both the QB and WR's.  Not to mention the options available with each formation.  It's not an offense for dumbsh*ts.
I am sure Jared Goff is a very bright young man, and, yes being a system quarterback is not always a bad thing. The one thing you are forgetting about Joe Montana is that he got to play in the same system for his entire professional career.

My hunch is that Jared Goff is not going to have that luxury at Cal. Whomever is sitting in the AD's office when the 2014 season is over, is going to be looking for a coach that can once again make Cal competitive on the field. With so many spread offenses now in the Pac 12 Conference I can easily see this mystery AD looking for a Head Coach who favors a pro style offense.

All I am saying is that when this transition takes place it is not going to be easy. I know that if I happen to be a new Head Coach installing a pro style system at Cal I would probably be looking for a junior college quarterback to take the reins of my program because I am going to need a QB with experience in a my system of offense.

Yes, Tedford did recruit Goff, and, if Tedford had been successful enough to keep his job, I believe it would have taken Jared Goff at least two years to see the field at Cal. Tedford would have red shirted him his freshman year, and, Goff would have been 2nd string for his red shirt freshman campaign. Not because Goff is dumb, or, not because he is not talented. As I said before, I believe Goff to be a very bright young man, and, very  talented. It is just when you are dealing with a pro style offense compared to an Air Raid type of attack, you are talking about two completely different animals.

It is my opinion that when Tedford was let go, if SB had hired a coach who used a pro style offense, Zack Kline would still be in the program, and, he would have been the starter, because of his experience in the Tedford offense. 

This of course did not happen because Kline was the one asked to adapt to a new system. Kline was not suited to the spread, up tempo offense, so he left the program.

In my time as a fan of the Golden Bears I have seen Steve Bartkowski, Joe Roth, Pat Barnes, Gale Gilbert, Mike Pawlowski, and Aaron Rodgers line up behind center for the Golden Bears, and that is just to name a few.

Maybe by the time Jared Goff leaves Cal, if he is lucky, he might be considered to be on a par with some of these past Golden Bear signal callers.

He is not there right now because he is a sophomore quarterback.

I still believe that Goff's numbers are inflated because of the offensive system the Bears run.

Jared Goff may be great in time, but, he is not great right now.

The Only Nation: "THE RAIDER NATION"

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >