Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension.

Posted: 06/16/2014 4:52 PM

Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/16/2014 6:59 PM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 


Hopefully there is bonus money built in for MW championship and making NCAA tourney.
If CT can get it done he deserves a bonus.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/17/2014 6:22 AM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 


As I read it there is bonus money for a number of items. I like the extension with bonus options. I love what Terry has done and expect even more in the future. I do think what gets you paid in the future is attendance and media revenue. If CRT can build this into a every year tourney team, then I think we will see sell outs, a nice TV deal, and ultimately a much bigger salary.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 7:31 AM

Wow! 


All I can say is wow. Based on what? Winning percentage? Tournament appearances? Conferance championships, fan interest? Wow!
BDR...The Barkboard's sole voice of reason.Articulate and thoughtful.
http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/wordtoliveby.wav
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/17/2014 10:11 AM

Re: Wow! 


Improvement on the court and in the classroom.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 11:20 AM

Seriously? 


Last time I checked Cleveland defenders (which was most of you guys) were championing Cleveland's losing record by saying the same things...especially the classroom part. At least Cleveland recruited a couple NBA caliber players.
Americanbulldog wrote: Improvement on the court and in the classroom.
BDR...The Barkboard's sole voice of reason.Articulate and thoughtful.
http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/wordtoliveby.wav
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 12:03 PM

Re: Seriously? 


Patience, Ray. Last year we all saw a huge leap forward with the program that will carry over to this coming season.

Watson is NBA caliber (so was Upshaw) and there will be more to come with Terry here. Cleveland, unfortunately, hit his ceiling while having to operate under strict guidelines from Boeh. Cleveland did a great job turning the corner with the program and now Terry will maintain the academic part while bringing in much more talented players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/17/2014 12:18 PM

Re: Seriously? 


This was done more for the fan base than CRT.  Come on……….a 4-5 year extension and not one damn single dime of a raise……just a bunch of incentives! WOW….this has to be a first.  Castro pretty much painted himself into a corner with the CTD raise…..it was way overboard and now their isn't any money for anything/anyone else.  Did we ever hear what those assistant football coaches got (raises), training table, adding wrestling, etc)?  Fresno State already went down this road with PH (he was way over-paid as well).  The extension for CRT was a wise idea to paint a picture of stability in the basketball program (but with no addition cash involved)……bet he can leave at anytime without ramifications.  The whole thing looks bogus…..losing record, 7th, 8th, 9th places finishes in league, never won a quarter final tournament game……..he did win 21 games in a massive volume season (39 games) but still lost 18 (which has been his average since coming to Fresno).and runner-up in a 4th rated tournament that culminated in getting blown out in a high school gym! In reality i guess nothing was hurt……just a piece of paper with a bunch of dates on it (not really worth anything more than CRT already had).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 12:26 PM

Re: Seriously? 


Ray, Cleve did recruit a couple of NBA players (three, actually: George, Greg Smith, McGuire), a few very good D-1 players but short of NBA caliber (Hosley, Bell, Tyler Johnson, Eddie Miller), one good physical specimen who was a complete ballhog (Coleman), one serviceable point guard whose inability to drive really limited the program offensively (Shepp), and tons and tons of crappy players who did not belong in D-1 ball.  The seven high quality players I just mentioned are not enough when you're talking about a seven-year career here.  Cleve's teams were never deep.  Right now, the Dogs are way deeper in quality players than at any point in Cleve's time here.
Bulldog Ray wrote: Last time I checked Cleveland defenders (which was most of you guys) were championing Cleveland's losing record by saying the same things...especially the classroom part. At least Cleveland recruited a couple NBA caliber players.
Americanbulldog wrote: Improvement on the court and in the classroom.

Professional ********

Last edited 06/17/2014 12:41 PM by OldFigBBJ2

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 12:37 PM

Re: Seriously? 


Okay, gotta fight a numbers guy, like AV, with other numbers. Trends are relevant.  Terry went 13-5 over the last 18, and this included 9-3 against MW programs.  Showed marked improvement in road and neutral site performance during that time.  Next year, high quality recruits like Bailey, Lewis and others will be suiting up for the first time.  It is obvious where the program is headed and it's not a direction you choose to acknowledge in your post.  Terry is being rewarded for trends and the latest recruiting bonanza.

Angularvelocity wrote: he did win 21 games in a massive volume season (39 games) but still lost 18

Professional ********

Last edited 06/17/2014 12:39 PM by OldFigBBJ2

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 1:06 PM

Re: Seriously? 



Angularvelocity wrote: This was done more for the fan base than CRT.  Come on……….a 4-5 year extension and not one damn single dime of a raise……just a bunch of incentives! WOW….this has to be a first.  Castro pretty much painted himself into a corner with the CTD raise…..it was way overboard and now their isn't any money for anything/anyone else.  Did we ever hear what those assistant football coaches got (raises), training table, adding wrestling, etc)?  Fresno State already went down this road with PH (he was way over-paid as well).  The extension for CRT was a wise idea to paint a picture of stability in the basketball program (but with no addition cash involved)……bet he can leave at anytime without ramifications.  The whole thing looks bogus…..losing record, 7th, 8th, 9th places finishes in league, never won a quarter final tournament game……..he did win 21 games in a massive volume season (39 games) but still lost 18 (which has been his average since coming to Fresno).and runner-up in a 4th rated tournament that culminated in getting blown out in a high school gym! In reality i guess nothing was hurt……just a piece of paper with a bunch of dates on it (not really worth anything more than CRT already had).
Pat Hill was grossly over paid for most of his long tenure at FSU.  CTD is not overpaid and has earned every dime.  CRT will get his raises when he produces on court results anywhere close to CTD.  I agree with you that this extension is essentially meaningless.  If CRT repeats with a 20+ win season and challenges for the MWC championship in a meaningful way, this extension will be renegotiated in less than 12 months.  If we secure a NCAA at-large berth, an early 2015 renegotiation is a lock.  

Castro will do it as he'll have no choice.  Castro is also going to bump student fees to pay for it...as he should.  Plus, if what I've described materializes we'll see a significant bump in paid attendance and other revenues.

 

Last edited 06/20/2014 9:30 AM by LuDog70

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 3:27 PM

Re: Seriously? 


he may not have the stellar w-l record, but he sure has brought some excitement back to bulldog basketball that had been lacking.  hopefully everything comes together this year & we can make run @ the tourney

Thumbnail

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/17/2014 5:53 PM

Re: Seriously? 


CRT took over a bottom feeding WAC team.  Prior to game one of year one he lost a good portion of Cleveland's mediocre roster to transfers and was forced to piece together a team in a short period or time after most of the good players had already committed.  The team, predictably, got hammered. (13-20, 3-11)   

CRT revamped the roster in the offseason after that year and increased the talent level to accompany the move to a much more competitive league.  The team, predictably, got hammered. (11-19, 5-11)  But you couldn't watch that team and think there was not improvement, or that they would not have been a very competitive team in the WAC (remember the MW got five of nine teams into the tournament that year, and Air Force and Wyoming were both very good as well.)

CRT reworked the roster again in the offseason and increased the talent level again.  Despite very trying circumstances surrounding the front court (B. Anderson car accident / Upshaw dismissal), the team was very competitive in a good conference.  (21-18, 9-9)  I don't understand what there is to complain about with CRT.  His teams have gotten better and more talented every year.  The outlook for next year is brighter still.  In my view, CRT is doing a great job and deserves the extension.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/17/2014 8:18 PM

Re: Seriously? 


I would rather have 0 nba caliber players on team that WINS over 5 nba caliber players on a team that LOSES. Those NBA players we had (George, Smith) did not play hard under coach Cleveland. Coach Terry's player have a desire to win. The team won 21 games without any sure-fire NBA caliber players. CRT is turning this thing around.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/17/2014 11:47 PM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 


It's absolutely stupid to think why some fans are mad about Terry's extension!! He's just getting started! 

Look how long it took Steve Fisher, the coach who coached the fab 5 at Michigan, to build the program at San Diego State!

1999–00San Diego State5–230–148th
2000–01San Diego State14–144–107th
2001–02San Diego State21–127–7T–4thNCAA First Round
2002–03San Diego State16–146–85thNIT Second Round
2003–04San Diego State14–165–9T–5th
2004–05San Diego State11–184–106th



At this point, our fans would be pulling there hair and wanting Fisher gone asap, but look what happens next...

2005–06San Diego State24–913–31stNCAA First Round
2006–07San Diego State22–1110–6T–3rdNIT Second Round
2007–08San Diego State20–139–74thNIT First Round
2008–09San Diego State26–1011–54thNIT Semifinals
2009–10San Diego State25–911–5T–3rdNCAA First Round
2010–11San Diego State34–314–2T–1stNCAA Sweet 16
2011–12San Diego State26–810–4T-1stNCAA Second Round
2012–13San Diego State23–119–74thNCAA Third Round
2013–14San Diego State31–516–21stNCAA Sweet 16
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/18/2014 8:19 AM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 



fsdogfan4life4 wrote: It's absolutely stupid to think why some fans are mad about Terry's extension!! He's just getting started! 

Look how long it took Steve Fisher, the coach who coached the fab 5 at Michigan, to build the program at San Diego State!

1999–00San Diego State5–230–148th
2000–01San Diego State14–144–107th
2001–02San Diego State21–127–7T–4thNCAA First Round
2002–03San Diego State16–146–85thNIT Second Round
2003–04San Diego State14–165–9T–5th
2004–05San Diego State11–184–106th



At this point, our fans would be pulling there hair and wanting Fisher gone asap, but look what happens next...

2005–06San Diego State24–913–31stNCAA First Round
2006–07San Diego State22–1110–6T–3rdNIT Second Round
2007–08San Diego State20–139–74thNIT First Round
2008–09San Diego State26–1011–54thNIT Semifinals
2009–10San Diego State25–911–5T–3rdNCAA First Round
2010–11San Diego State34–314–2T–1stNCAA Sweet 16
2011–12San Diego State26–810–4T-1stNCAA Second Round
2012–13San Diego State23–119–74thNCAA Third Round
2013–14San Diego State31–516–21stNCAA Sweet 16
Well played.

There are not shortcuts that don't lead to trouble if a school wants to build a winning program. Dean Smith, John Wooden, Mike Kryzewski would be fired from a lot of schools for their first four or five years of performance. 

Now I'm not saying that every guy including Terry will become that kind of a coach if we give him time (so cram that canard back up your crack before you bring it out, ray) but you do have to let a coach build an actual program. 

Ford
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/18/2014 10:38 PM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 


I remember clearly BDR saying we couldn't win clean.....Ct proving you can ....APR well above 950 and probably one of the best recruiting classes in recent history if ever!!! And he has had some tough luck with injuries. Yet he never made excuses....stuck with what he believed and you starting to see things really turning end of last year.
All this with no center or post players to speak of!!!!

Obama stands for :

O= One
B= Big
A= ***
M= Mistake
A= America                                    
                                    

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/19/2014 8:29 AM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 



CoachFord wrote:
fsdogfan4life4 wrote: It's absolutely stupid to think why some fans are mad about Terry's extension!! He's just getting started! 

Look how long it took Steve Fisher, the coach who coached the fab 5 at Michigan, to build the program at San Diego State!

1999–00San Diego State5–230–148th
2000–01San Diego State14–144–107th
2001–02San Diego State21–127–7T–4thNCAA First Round
2002–03San Diego State16–146–85thNIT Second Round
2003–04San Diego State14–165–9T–5th
2004–05San Diego State11–184–106th



At this point, our fans would be pulling there hair and wanting Fisher gone asap, but look what happens next...

2005–06San Diego State24–913–31stNCAA First Round
2006–07San Diego State22–1110–6T–3rdNIT Second Round
2007–08San Diego State20–139–74thNIT First Round
2008–09San Diego State26–1011–54thNIT Semifinals
2009–10San Diego State25–911–5T–3rdNCAA First Round
2010–11San Diego State34–314–2T–1stNCAA Sweet 16
2011–12San Diego State26–810–4T-1stNCAA Second Round
2012–13San Diego State23–119–74thNCAA Third Round
2013–14San Diego State31–516–21stNCAA Sweet 16
Well played.

There are not shortcuts that don't lead to trouble if a school wants to build a winning program. Dean Smith, John Wooden, Mike Kryzewski would be fired from a lot of schools for their first four or five years of performance. 

Now I'm not saying that every guy including Terry will become that kind of a coach if we give him time (so cram that canard back up your crack before you bring it out, ray) but you do have to let a coach build an actual program. 

Ford
if terry has our guys on that kind of run that fished did, he wont be here very long after that contract runs out. bigger schools should come calling

Thumbnail

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/19/2014 5:17 PM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 




First fighty I never said that...second, what the hell did we win? Did we win the MWC ? Did we win that crap tournament we were in? Please reread my post...I expressed shock over a contract extension but not outrage. I just didn't see the justification but clearly I'd Bruce and LuDog think it's justified then I will respect thier opinions because not of you other guys really know anything about college basketball and winning.
---------------------------------------------
--- fightdogs wrote:

I remember clearly BDR saying we couldn't win clean.....Ct proving you can ....APR well above 950 and probably one of the best recruiting classes in recent history if ever!!! And he has had some tough luck with injuries. Yet he never made excuses....stuck with what he believed and you starting to see things really turning end of last year.
All this with no center or post players to speak of!!!!

---------------------------------------------
BDR...The Barkboard's sole voice of reason.Articulate and thoughtful.
http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/wordtoliveby.wav
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/20/2014 1:05 PM

Re: Coach Rodney Terry gets a 3 year extension. 


i agree...i dont know much. You're the authority i assume.

Obama stands for :

O= One
B= Big
A= ***
M= Mistake
A= America                                    
                                    

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >