Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

OT:Serious Inquiry

Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 4:40 PM

OT:Serious Inquiry 


with all due respect to fight on twist....

I have a question that has kept me from actually joining the premium board. Fight On Twist is a USC fan and contributes and runs this board. Am I the only one that is turned off by somebody outside our fan base contributing and running our boards?? I realize that I am a dork homer and it appears that Twist has done a decent job getting this board  back  to where it was prior to all hell breaking loose... again this is in no way about Twist's professionalism or the content that he has made available... I just find it a difficult to accept  information, and pay somebody who is from another fan base and who runs that teams boards... I mean it's not like we lack capable fans??? Or do we????

I think it would be different if this was not a homer board.

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 4:52 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


I am just curious as to why and how this came about. His work here is excellent, but exactly why is he here?


The happiest place on earth
"g0g0 Bulldog...beat them bite them"

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 6:02 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



scottydawg wrote: I am just curious as to why and how this came about. His work here is excellent, but exactly why is he here?
Yeah I get that question? Just doesn't make much sense? We have enough talent in our fan base.

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 6:03 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


The content from what I have seen has been good.

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 7:05 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Twist was one of the guys that tried to revive the Rivals site and migrated over hear after they folded up shop.  I was a subscriber on that site and he was doing a great job over there, but they just couldn't get enough people to give it a shot.  Personally, I could care less if he is a fan of another team, the guy has brought so much content to this site that his commitment speaks for itself.  Maybe look at it this way...  we now have someone who has experience running/contributing to the website of a traditional power house that is now working with Jackson to give us the same experience that is expected from USC's fans.  Anyway you want to look at it, the content on this site is way more than I have ever seen and it's not hard to look past any of Twist's other affiliations after seeing what he brings to the table.  Just my two cents...


"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Last edited 08/18/2014 7:08 PM by Sparatore

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 7:33 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


What matters is the content -- not the alma mater. How many of the Bee's writers, or the local television sports people, are FSU grads? For most, it's a job and their loyalty is for rent. And I'm okay with that. My loyalty is for rent -- not to my school but in business (and that's what this is, a business).

Content matters and the content is much improved. That's what matters. Either it has improved sufficiently that you are willing to pay for it or it hasn't and you aren't. And either way, I'm okay with that too.

Yoda out...



.
"The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. To retreat from that separation would violate the principles of conservatism." ~ Barry Goldwater
Reply | Quote
  • tkjr1
  • unranked
  • 45 posts this site

Posted: 08/18/2014 7:59 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Twist is the reason I stayed as a subscriber to this site. I follow him on twitter and be always has good info on recruiting.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 8:05 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



Sparatore wrote:

Personally, I could care less if he is a fan of another team


Yeah, I couldn't care less if he is a fan of USC, either.  Kuwada is an LA transplant; do we really care if he happens to be a USC fan (and I don't know whether he is; I'm stating it hypothetically as if he is a USC fan)?  Kuwada offers Fresnans great content about Fresno.  Content is all that matters in the information-conveying business.  Not sure why the OP cares about FightOnTwist's allegiance; it's a non-starter for me.

EDIT: Looks like I was parroting Yoda's position about Bee reporters but I actually wrote the post about Kuwada before arriving at Yoda's post.  But I think he's right.

Professional ********

Last edited 08/18/2014 8:07 PM by OldFigBBJ2

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 8:06 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



Do you enjoy quality micro-brews from around the nation? Or can you not enjoy, because you are thinking "isn't there a place in Fresno that can make this"? Just sayin'...

---------------------------------------------
--- FresnoStateBulldogFan wrote:

with all due respect to fight on twist....

I have a question that has kept me from actually joining the premium board. Fight On Twist is a USC fan and contributes and runs this board. Am I the only one that is turned off by somebody outside our fan base contributing and running our boards?? I realize that I am a dork homer and it appears that Twist has done a decent job getting this board  back  to where it was prior to all hell breaking loose... again this is in no way about Twist's professionalism or the content that he has made available... I just find it a difficult to accept  information, and pay somebody who is from another fan base and who runs that teams boards... I mean it's not like we lack capable fans??? Or do we????

I think it would be different if this was not a homer board.

---------------------------------------------
"Wow, that escalated quickly!"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 8:07 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Good points.

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 8:29 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Before I go one let me say that I have the insight that this is more about me than it is about Twist... that being said

I was just trying to piece it together and get some perspective from my fellow bbc. members... Since I located and joined this board it has always been ran and occupied by Fresno State diehard fans.

I kinda equate it to going to a Chinese Restaurant that everybody brags about only to find a Mexican Chef who speaks neither English or Spanish cooking. It's a little counterintiutive just saying. 

My experiences have been that beside an occasional visitor or two it has been just "US" so to have somebody run a homer board that is not part of "US" but part of "them" feels a little weird to me. PAC schools have pushed us out for no reason other than to be stuck up... I think that this is a normal question given my experiences and how they view Fresno State. Again if this had been a conference board it would be different. 

I agree that content is the most important and I appreciate and admire the effort of work that it takes to provide us this information. I guess I will have to adjust.

Thanks

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 9:02 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


DeRuyter isn't a FS alum. Should we not accept him? Same with Castro..........

Josh performs his job well. As long as the articles are from a Bulldog fan's perspective, I'm good. And if you want more content, we need more subscribers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/18/2014 9:21 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



RagingBulldog wrote: DeRuyter isn't a FS alum. Should we not accept him? Same with Castro..........

Josh performs his job well. As long as the articles are from a Bulldog fan's perspective, I'm good. And if you want more content, we need more subscribers.
Who cares about Alum? Nobody has an issue with that...

The inquiry was regarding his fandom. DeRuyter is a FS fan. As is Castro.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 7:32 AM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Look the USC board and the Fresno board share the same owner. Now if this board was getting no coverage and just sitting idle, it would be one thing......

But thats not the case! These guys are trying to provide a solid service and doing a very good job (except I still cant see Joshes videos using IE).....

Anyways good to see the board starting to have some additional coverage...keep it up twist its appreciated....

Just for the record I really like USC...."University of Southern Coarsegold", thats where I got my PHD....."Post Hole Digger."

Home of the fighting "Cougars"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:09 AM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Ryan and Josh are great dudes. They have connections in the national media because of their affiliation with the USC site.

Now Fresno State coverage will benefit from it.

Nowhere, no how, no way do I see this as being anything but a giant positive.

"I've got that Bulldog Spirit up in my head, deep in my heart and down in my toes."

-- Jim Sweeney
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:13 AM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


My guess is, if we weren't playing USC our first game, this wouldn't even be a question.  I think he's just looking at the conflict of interest part of this.

Otherwise, it's just a business thing.  I trust that he's got enough ethics to not take insider info from Fresno st and give it to people at USC. 

He's brought a ton to the board already.  Glad he's here.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:16 AM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


I give zero shits, so long as the coverage is unbiased and detailed.  And Twist and Ryan pass that test with flying colors.

RIP Jim Sweeney. 

President of the Kilton Anderson Bandwagon

Follow me on teh twitters @Sir_Roflcopter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 9:26 AM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Just finished listening to Josh on Tony D's podcast.  Balanced and fair analysis when discussing Fresno State AND  USC.  

Josh may be tied to the Trojans but he's realistic and reasonable when assessing them.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 12:56 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


This is a fair question and something that I'm a little surprised hasn't been asked already. You guys deserve to know what's going on and we have failed to explain it to you. Part of that is because we were tied up with legal reasons and the other part is that it's been crazy after the legal crap cleared up. So, please forgive the horribly late explanation, but here we go: 

Ryan (@insidetroy on Twitter) has been the owner/publisher of USCFootball[dot]com for 13 years. He's a Heisman voter (he voted for Derek last year) and frequently has guests like Bruce Feldman, Daniel Jeremiah, Paul Burmeister, etc on his podcasts. He has over 10,000 followers on Twitter and has serious pull within the national media. Ryan was born on the East Coast, but went to USC for engineering. He was an engineer for many years before turning a hobby (running a USC board) into a full-time gig. 

Before last season, Ryan was looking around and wondered why the TOS had ZERO Fresno State coverage, despite being one biggest Non-AQ schools in the country. He decided to expand his business and went into the Fresno State market. I had been moderating the boards on USCFootball for Ryan and doing some transcribing here and there. When I saw that he was burning the candle at both ends, I offered to help out. I have never taken a journalism course in my life, but I have a background in objectivity. I completed graduate school and wrote my Master's Thesis on the BCS. I figured writing about sports could be a dream I didn't even know I wanted and decided to try it out. I was blessed that Ryan gave me the opportunity and I've busted my *** to prove to him that I deserved the chance he took on me. 

Part of the reason we moved to Scout was because of you guys. You may not realize this, but having this message board and a thriving Fresno State community played a key role in our decision to come over here to Scout. That and we would get help from guys like Greg Biggins and Brandon Huffman on a regular basis. This site is now going to have the video, audio, and equipment that we used on USC. Which means more coverage for you guys and more exposure for Fresno on a national level. 

I may be a "USC guy," but I wouldn't get to cover college football and see the things I see, talk to the people I get to talk to, and do the things I get to do without Fresno State. I am eternally grateful to Ryan and Fresno State for this chance and I've done everything I can to remain as unbiased as possible. You guys deserve objective coverage. It just so happens that USC and Fresno State happen to be playing twice inside a calendar year, but I'm sure someone could email ESPN 940 and ask them for the audio of my appearances from Las Vegas. What you'll find on that audio is me picking the Bulldogs to win the game because I felt that Fresno wanted to prove that San Jose State was an aberration and that USC would be too caught up in everything else going on to prepare properly for the game. 

I honestly still feel that game would have been different if Harper had been playing, but I did pick the Bulldogs to win. This time I happen to be picking the Trojans to win, but it has everything to do with objective analysis rather than blatant homerism. People might not agree with the prediction and it might upset people that I'm picking USC, but I can defend my pick from a logical position, just as I defended my pick of the Bulldogs last year. I ended up being completely wrong about that game and I could end up being completely wrong about this game, but I would urge you guys to listen to my work on USC if you have any questions about my objectivity. 

I value logic and reason above "being right" or "predicting the game." I'd much rather have intelligent debate about what could happen than have the glory some people derive off of having correctly predicted a game. I've never understood the obsession with that particular nuance. I think how a person arrives at their conclusion says a lot more about them than the result, at least in sports. There's a reason we say "any given Saturday/Sunday." 

I have no idea how or why Ryan chose me to join his team, but I've always been grateful for that fact and have tried to make sure my work with Fresno State reflects that. You can't cover a team and not develop friendships and relationships. I knew Kilton Anderson before he was ever on Fresno State's radar, back was he was living in Florida. So, it's not just some old job for me. You get invested in these kids and you want to see them succeed in life and on the football field. I don't give a damn if Laz happens to have a highlight reel hit on someone against USC, I'll be right there filming it and say "OHHHHH" with the rest of you guys. 

I'm a fan of the sport. I love this game. I love the pursuit of knowledge and I enjoy sharing conversation about the pursuit of that knowledge. That's what my articles are; they're my way of trying to have a conversation with you guys about football. 

Also, and I'm just sayin' here, if Fresno State does beat USC, you gotta realize how good that is for our business. It's not like we'd be upset. I'd certainly get a ton of air time, but that's beside the point. I'm more concerned with doing my job correctly and reasonably reaching conclusions than I am with being a fan of one side or another. And we also moved to Scout with Fresno State and growing this site in mind. The subscriptions only help us get there faster (just being honest, not fishing for subs).

Email: Twist@uscfootball.com

Twitter: @FightOnTwist

Last edited 08/19/2014 1:07 PM by FightOnTwist

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 1:28 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


*applauds*

RIP Jim Sweeney. 

President of the Kilton Anderson Bandwagon

Follow me on teh twitters @Sir_Roflcopter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 1:45 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Great stuff Twist and let me add a few more notes here.

I actually started USCFootball.com back in 1996, I joined Rivals in 2001 and just left a few days ago to join Scout where I hope to be for a long, long time.

In January 2013 I took over the Rivals Fresno State site. I wanted to make Rivals better on the West Coast, I always enjoyed the passion around the Fresno State program and no one was running that site for Rivals.

I think we produced a lot of great content there with the help of some interns and Twist. But the community just wasn't there and Rivals was making zero investment to help the site grow. After doing it a year Rivals basically stopped all support so I wasn't able to continue the site.

When I was talking with Scout, the opportunity to help with the Fresno State site here came up. I felt that with the community here we could produce some great content and really make this a kick *** site. Step one for me was making sure Jackson would be on board. He has been great and I wanted to make sure he sticks around. We are VERY happy to have him! Step two for me was bringing back the BarkBoard. I went out and bought that domain name and once I was signed with Scout, we changed the site over. Twist had already said he would love to help out so to me, we were all set.

In the past I had been going up to Fresno fairly often (I live in LA) to cover spring ball, fall camp, games, pro day and recruiting. With this transition I am swamped right now trying to get up to speed on a new network. I am very thankful that Jackson and Twist are here kicking *** with coverage and I plan to pitch in myself here soon. It will start with the USC game and I plan on coming to Fresno for some other games as well.

I have been in this business a long time. And I am not going to lie, lately I have had more fun covering Fresno State than I have had covering USC. Everything is new and last year 11 wins was very exciting. Tim DeRuyter is great and I love the staff and the game atmosphere is great. Last year I brought my wife (who went to Tennessee) to the black out game and she felt it was like an SEC atmosphere.

My goal is to make this a great site for all of the Bulldog fans. I have a lot of experience publishing sites and I think I can help younger guys like Jackson and Twist become better reporters and produce a better product for you guys.

Feel free to drop me an email any time if you have questions or concerns. And again I apologize I have not been as hands on here as I would have liked. I will once things settle down a bit.

Oh and next time I am up there we can meet at the Dog House Grill for a beer. Love those sandwiches!
You can follow me on Twitter at @InsideTroy or email me at ryan@uscfootball.com .

Time to get to work.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 1:58 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


You buying?





Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 2:11 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Josh has done an amazing job to come in here and turn this forum around along side Jackson. The quality of what they put out is great and it comes in big quantities. Everyone who helps run this board has done a great job. He shouldn't be thought less of because he's not a Fresno State alum, he's here to report with an unbias opinion as well as help improve the site that we all love & spend hours and some of us spend our hard earned money on. That's all that he's helped do since going the site. 

Go 'Dogs!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 2:30 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


I once had a rehab stint with a lady who never had used illegal drugs in her life, but she had plenty of degrees to prove to me that she was qualified to speak on substance abuse...just saying
Under'DOGS 4 Life

Last edited 08/19/2014 2:31 PM by GreenV559

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 2:31 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 





---------------------------------------------
--- FresnoStateBulldogFan wrote:

with all due respect to fight on twist....

I have a question that has kept me from actually joining the premium board. Fight On Twist is a USC fan and contributes and runs this board. Am I the only one that is turned off by somebody outside our fan base contributing and running our boards?? I realize that I am a dork homer and it appears that Twist has done a decent job getting this board  back  to where it was prior to all hell breaking loose... again this is in no way about Twist's professionalism or the content that he has made available... I just find it a difficult to accept  information, and pay somebody who is from another fan base and who runs that teams boards... I mean it's not like we lack capable fans??? Or do we????

I think it would be different if this was not a homer board.

---------------------------------------------

Well Coach TD graduated from Air Force. I doubt Kwanda graduated from Fresno. If he's doing a good job who cares.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 2:39 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Well said. Your a credit to your alma mater


---------------------------------------------
--- FightOnTwist wrote:

This is a fair question and something that I'm a little surprised hasn't been asked already. You guys deserve to know what's going on and we have failed to explain it to you. Part of that is because we were tied up with legal reasons and the other part is that it's been crazy after the legal crap cleared up. So, please forgive the horribly late explanation, but here we go: 

Ryan (@insidetroy on Twitter) has been the owner/publisher of USCFootball[dot]com for 13 years. He's a Heisman voter (he voted for Derek last year) and frequently has guests like Bruce Feldman, Daniel Jeremiah, Paul Burmeister, etc on his podcasts. He has over 10,000 followers on Twitter and has serious pull within the national media. Ryan was born on the East Coast, but went to USC for engineering. He was an engineer for many years before turning a hobby (running a USC board) into a full-time gig. 

Before last season, Ryan was looking around and wondered why the TOS had ZERO Fresno State coverage, despite being one biggest Non-AQ schools in the country. He decided to expand his business and went into the Fresno State market. I had been moderating the boards on USCFootball for Ryan and doing some transcribing here and there. When I saw that he was burning the candle at both ends, I offered to help out. I have never taken a journalism course in my life, but I have a background in objectivity. I completed graduate school and wrote my Master's Thesis on the BCS. I figured writing about sports could be a dream I didn't even know I wanted and decided to try it out. I was blessed that Ryan gave me the opportunity and I've busted my *** to prove to him that I deserved the chance he took on me. 

Part of the reason we moved to Scout was because of you guys. You may not realize this, but having this message board and a thriving Fresno State community played a key role in our decision to come over here to Scout. That and we would get help from guys like Greg Biggins and Brandon Huffman on a regular basis. This site is now going to have the video, audio, and equipment that we used on USC. Which means more coverage for you guys and more exposure for Fresno on a national level. 

I may be a "USC guy," but I wouldn't get to cover college football and see the things I see, talk to the people I get to talk to, and do the things I get to do without Fresno State. I am eternally grateful to Ryan and Fresno State for this chance and I've done everything I can to remain as unbiased as possible. You guys deserve objective coverage. It just so happens that USC and Fresno State happen to be playing twice inside a calendar year, but I'm sure someone could email ESPN 940 and ask them for the audio of my appearances from Las Vegas. What you'll find on that audio is me picking the Bulldogs to win the game because I felt that Fresno wanted to prove that San Jose State was an aberration and that USC would be too caught up in everything else going on to prepare properly for the game. 

I honestly still feel that game would have been different if Harper had been playing, but I did pick the Bulldogs to win. This time I happen to be picking the Trojans to win, but it has everything to do with objective analysis rather than blatant homerism. People might not agree with the prediction and it might upset people that I'm picking USC, but I can defend my pick from a logical position, just as I defended my pick of the Bulldogs last year. I ended up being completely wrong about that game and I could end up being completely wrong about this game, but I would urge you guys to listen to my work on USC if you have any questions about my objectivity. 

I value logic and reason above "being right" or "predicting the game." I'd much rather have intelligent debate about what could happen than have the glory some people derive off of having correctly predicted a game. I've never understood the obsession with that particular nuance. I think how a person arrives at their conclusion says a lot more about them than the result, at least in sports. There's a reason we say "any given Saturday/Sunday." 

I have no idea how or why Ryan chose me to join his team, but I've always been grateful for that fact and have tried to make sure my work with Fresno State reflects that. You can't cover a team and not develop friendships and relationships. I knew Kilton Anderson before he was ever on Fresno State's radar, back was he was living in Florida. So, it's not just some old job for me. You get invested in these kids and you want to see them succeed in life and on the football field. I don't give a damn if Laz happens to have a highlight reel hit on someone against USC, I'll be right there filming it and say "OHHHHH" with the rest of you guys. 

I'm a fan of the sport. I love this game. I love the pursuit of knowledge and I enjoy sharing conversation about the pursuit of that knowledge. That's what my articles are; they're my way of trying to have a conversation with you guys about football. 

Also, and I'm just sayin' here, if Fresno State does beat USC, you gotta realize how good that is for our business. It's not like we'd be upset. I'd certainly get a ton of air time, but that's beside the point. I'm more concerned with doing my job correctly and reasonably reaching conclusions than I am with being a fan of one side or another. And we also moved to Scout with Fresno State and growing this site in mind. The subscriptions only help us get there faster (just being honest, not fishing for subs).

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 2:43 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


This a a reporting, Journalism job, regardless of who he is a fan for.  As long as he is providing accurate and timely info on the topiccs we care about, then he is doing his job and doing it well, I might add. Your point is like telling us you won't buy the Sports Illustrated magazine because they cover teams other than your team and aren't "loyal" only to your team.  Need to have a reality check guy!.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 2:48 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



RyanAbraham wrote: Great stuff Twist and let me add a few more notes here.

I actually started USCFootball.com back in 1996, I joined Rivals in 2001 and just left a few days ago to join Scout where I hope to be for a long, long time.

In January 2013 I took over the Rivals Fresno State site. I wanted to make Rivals better on the West Coast, I always enjoyed the passion around the Fresno State program and no one was running that site for Rivals.

I think we produced a lot of great content there with the help of some interns and Twist. But the community just wasn't there and Rivals was making zero investment to help the site grow. After doing it a year Rivals basically stopped all support so I wasn't able to continue the site.

When I was talking with Scout, the opportunity to help with the Fresno State site here came up. I felt that with the community here we could produce some great content and really make this a kick *** site. Step one for me was making sure Jackson would be on board. He has been great and I wanted to make sure he sticks around. We are VERY happy to have him! Step two for me was bringing back the BarkBoard. I went out and bought that domain name and once I was signed with Scout, we changed the site over. Twist had already said he would love to help out so to me, we were all set.

In the past I had been going up to Fresno fairly often (I live in LA) to cover spring ball, fall camp, games, pro day and recruiting. With this transition I am swamped right now trying to get up to speed on a new network. I am very thankful that Jackson and Twist are here kicking *** with coverage and I plan to pitch in myself here soon. It will start with the USC game and I plan on coming to Fresno for some other games as well.

I have been in this business a long time. And I am not going to lie, lately I have had more fun covering Fresno State than I have had covering USC. Everything is new and last year 11 wins was very exciting. Tim DeRuyter is great and I love the staff and the game atmosphere is great. Last year I brought my wife (who went to Tennessee) to the black out game and she felt it was like an SEC atmosphere.

My goal is to make this a great site for all of the Bulldog fans. I have a lot of experience publishing sites and I think I can help younger guys like Jackson and Twist become better reporters and produce a better product for you guys.

Feel free to drop me an email any time if you have questions or concerns. And again I apologize I have not been as hands on here as I would have liked. I will once things settle down a bit.

Oh and next time I am up there we can meet at the Dog House Grill for a beer. Love those sandwiches!
Ryan:

As a long time poster and subscriber to this board, through the good times and the bad, I want to thank you and Josh (and Jackson) for bringing back an energy and a quality to this place.  I've always been someone who's enjoyed the Boards more than the content.  You guys are changing my mind...which isn't an easy thing to do.  :-)

This board has it's history, the good, the bad and the ugly, but the present is really good and getting better.  My thanks to both of you.  Just understand that we maybe a dysfunctional bunch at times but we all share a passion for the game and most of us for our Dogs!

Thanks again.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 3:08 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Great stuff guys, we all appreciate your hard work and professionalism.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 3:41 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



FightOnTwist wrote:  email ESPN 940 and ask them for the audio of my appearances from Las Vegas. What you'll find on that audio is me picking the Bulldogs to win the game because I felt that Fresno wanted to prove that San Jose State was an aberration and that USC would be too caught up in everything else going on to prepare properly for the game.
I can vouch for that! I follow you on twitter and thought you'd be a USC homer. Leading up to the bowl game though, you laid out a deep analysis and in the end felt the Bulldogs would win. I heard you on air and we had a little discussion on twitter too.
I dropped my subscription because of where the site was headed both with lack of content and some of the mods. I'll be back on board soon though as I can see that passion is bringing the value back around.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 4:16 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Twist and Ryan, thanks for the background info and thanks for the excellent work here. It still kind of feels like Bizarro World, where Lex Luthor is the good guy.pirate Anyway, since FS is now your second favorite team, I expect you to use your influence to get SC to visit our house.biggrin


The happiest place on earth
"g0g0 Bulldog...beat them bite them"

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 4:19 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


We have made note of it a couple times. It's a little ridiculous that the two schools are so close and have so few meetings. 

scottydawg wrote: Twist and Ryan, thanks for the background info and thanks for the excellent work here. It still kind of feels like Bizarro World, where Lex Luthor is the good guy.pirate Anyway, since FS is now your second favorite team, I expect you to use your influence to get SC to visit our house.biggrin

Email: Twist@uscfootball.com

Twitter: @FightOnTwist
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 4:38 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


FightOnTwist wrote: This is a fair question and something that I'm a little surprised hasn't been asked already. You guys deserve to know what's going on and we have failed to explain it to you. Part of that is because we were tied up with legal reasons and the other part is that it's been crazy after the legal crap cleared up. So, please forgive the horribly late explanation, but here we go: 

Ryan (@insidetroy on Twitter) has been the owner/publisher of USCFootball[dot]com for 13 years. He's a Heisman voter (he voted for Derek last year) and frequently has guests like Bruce Feldman, Daniel Jeremiah, Paul Burmeister, etc on his podcasts. He has over 10,000 followers on Twitter and has serious pull within the national media. Ryan was born on the East Coast, but went to USC for engineering. He was an engineer for many years before turning a hobby (running a USC board) into a full-time gig. 

Before last season, Ryan was looking around and wondered why the TOS had ZERO Fresno State coverage, despite being one biggest Non-AQ schools in the country. He decided to expand his business and went into the Fresno State market. I had been moderating the boards on USCFootball for Ryan and doing some transcribing here and there. When I saw that he was burning the candle at both ends, I offered to help out. I have never taken a journalism course in my life, but I have a background in objectivity. I completed graduate school and wrote my Master's Thesis on the BCS. I figured writing about sports could be a dream I didn't even know I wanted and decided to try it out. I was blessed that Ryan gave me the opportunity and I've busted my *** to prove to him that I deserved the chance he took on me. 

Part of the reason we moved to Scout was because of you guys. You may not realize this, but having this message board and a thriving Fresno State community played a key role in our decision to come over here to Scout. That and we would get help from guys like Greg Biggins and Brandon Huffman on a regular basis. This site is now going to have the video, audio, and equipment that we used on USC. Which means more coverage for you guys and more exposure for Fresno on a national level. 

I may be a "USC guy," but I wouldn't get to cover college football and see the things I see, talk to the people I get to talk to, and do the things I get to do without Fresno State. I am eternally grateful to Ryan and Fresno State for this chance and I've done everything I can to remain as unbiased as possible. You guys deserve objective coverage. It just so happens that USC and Fresno State happen to be playing twice inside a calendar year, but I'm sure someone could email ESPN 940 and ask them for the audio of my appearances from Las Vegas. What you'll find on that audio is me picking the Bulldogs to win the game because I felt that Fresno wanted to prove that San Jose State was an aberration and that USC would be too caught up in everything else going on to prepare properly for the game. 

I honestly still feel that game would have been different if Harper had been playing, but I did pick the Bulldogs to win. This time I happen to be picking the Trojans to win, but it has everything to do with objective analysis rather than blatant homerism. People might not agree with the prediction and it might upset people that I'm picking USC, but I can defend my pick from a logical position, just as I defended my pick of the Bulldogs last year. I ended up being completely wrong about that game and I could end up being completely wrong about this game, but I would urge you guys to listen to my work on USC if you have any questions about my objectivity. 

I value logic and reason above "being right" or "predicting the game." I'd much rather have intelligent debate about what could happen than have the glory some people derive off of having correctly predicted a game. I've never understood the obsession with that particular nuance. I think how a person arrives at their conclusion says a lot more about them than the result, at least in sports. There's a reason we say "any given Saturday/Sunday." 

I have no idea how or why Ryan chose me to join his team, but I've always been grateful for that fact and have tried to make sure my work with Fresno State reflects that. You can't cover a team and not develop friendships and relationships. I knew Kilton Anderson before he was ever on Fresno State's radar, back was he was living in Florida. So, it's not just some old job for me. You get invested in these kids and you want to see them succeed in life and on the football field. I don't give a damn if Laz happens to have a highlight reel hit on someone against USC, I'll be right there filming it and say "OHHHHH" with the rest of you guys. 

I'm a fan of the sport. I love this game. I love the pursuit of knowledge and I enjoy sharing conversation about the pursuit of that knowledge. That's what my articles are; they're my way of trying to have a conversation with you guys about football. 

Also, and I'm just sayin' here, if Fresno State does beat USC, you gotta realize how good that is for our business. It's not like we'd be upset. I'd certainly get a ton of air time, but that's beside the point. I'm more concerned with doing my job correctly and reasonably reaching conclusions than I am with being a fan of one side or another. And we also moved to Scout with Fresno State and growing this site in mind. The subscriptions only help us get there faster (just being honest, not fishing for subs).

Thanks Twist for that explanation. Best wishes in your career. I hope to meet you one day before you go big time.

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 6:54 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


For those concerned about having reporters with Fresno State ties, I'm still here and I'm your guy!! I'm about as Bulldog Born and Bulldog Bread as it gets. I've been to every single home game since I was just one year old and am soon to be an alumni of the university... I have been following the Barkboard for nearly a decade, posting sice I was 14 (under GoFresno) and have served as an intern and then publisher over the past four years. After gaining media access and learning how to cover the team, I consider myself to now be an unbiased reporter with the extra knowledge of having memories dating back to Jim Sweeney riding his football helmet golf cart down the ramp at Bulldog Stadium and having my nose in the media guides every fall as a young kid.

After the site was left with no one running it, I reached out to Scout for the opporunity and did my best to revive the site while being a full time student. I believe I was able to bring back content worth subscribing for, I know I was able to hit the recruiting coverage very hard which was very well received. I will continue to be out at virtually every practice - observing the team and getting interviews to share with you for both football AND basketball to provide the most in-depth coverage possible along with recruiting coverage as well.

Since Ryan and Josh made the jump over to Scout, they have been great to me and made sure I would be on board with them - plus they have valued my input to help make this the same Barkboard you have all known and loved for so many years, but now with the most content and insider info it has ever been able to provide with the three of us dedicated to making this site reach its full potential. I believe the best is yet to come and it will be here shortly with more people jumping on board. Covering Fresno State has been an amazing expereince for me, but I hope if I someday expand my horizons to a new market that they will welcome myself like many of you have welcomed Ryan and Josh. 


Jackson Moore
Staff Writer
BarkBoard.com

Last edited 08/20/2014 2:42 PM by JacksonMoore

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 7:06 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


If anyone should be concerned about USC guys running this board (along with Jackson) it should be the coaches. Ryan and Josh might be feeding top secret information to Sark as we speak. If we lose to USC, I'm blaming them. 

And scene...sarcastic intro complete.

When you follow every tweet that Josh sends out, like I do, and the way he interacts with the Fresno State recruits you can see that he genuinly cares for these kids. Though he'll be rooting for USC on 8.30, I could probably guarantee without every having met him that he will be rooting for Fresno State as well because he has a personal relationship with many of the players. 

The fact that we now that three guys contributing to the Bark Board is absolutely huge. This site has come a LONG way since Mario left home. I don't know a lot about Ryan, though everything I hear about him is positive. I love the unique energies and points of view brought to the board by Jackson and Josh. Shoot, even the website finally looks like it was created this century!

Thank you for coming on board and for the great work. Keep it up and Go Dogs! Beat SC! ;-)

Last edited 08/19/2014 7:10 PM by PleasewintheWAC2006

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 7:49 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


Thanks Twist and Jackson... I just signed up for the premium boards. I'll give it a go.

Bulldog Born... Bulldog Bred... I'm goin to be a Bulldog till the day I'm dead! - Jim Sweeney.

RIP Coach

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/19/2014 10:42 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 



FightOnTwist wrote: We have made note of it a couple times. It's a little ridiculous that the two schools are so close and have so few meetings. 

scottydawg wrote: Twist and Ryan, thanks for the background info and thanks for the excellent work here. It still kind of feels like Bizarro World, where Lex Luthor is the good guy.pirate Anyway, since FS is now your second favorite team, I expect you to use your influence to get SC to visit our house.biggrin
Kinda like Sac State or Cal Poly wondering why we don't go there to play them..... as far as USC is concerned.  I wish they would do a home and home, but don't see it happening.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 11:15 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


If my business hangs in ...I'll give it a go!

Obama stands for :

O= One
B= Big
A= ***
M= Mistake
A= America                                    
                                    

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/19/2014 11:59 PM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


I am glad u r here.  Go 'Dogs, 3-peat!!!
Who let the 'Dogs out?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/20/2014 12:16 AM

Re: OT:Serious Inquiry 


I hope you men know you are APPRECIATED!!! Having a dedicated messageboard goes a long ways. I hope the advertisement spices up
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >