Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Justin Green is sizing up the situation

Avatar

Posted: 07/04/2014 2:49 PM

Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


I had some content saved that I'm going to be sharing with you guys to get things started. The first one is on LB Justin Green and his plans to add weight. 

Sizing up the situation

Email: Twist@uscfootball.com

Twitter: @FightOnTwist
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/04/2014 5:04 PM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


Yeah... he cannot play D1 linebacker at 185 lbs.  Not gonna happen.  He needs to be at LEAST 210 lbs - and even that would be "light".  He needs to FOCUS on packing on some muscle - that means PROTEIN, baby!  EAT.
______________________________________


Rooster
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 6:47 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 





---------------------------------------------
--- redroadster wrote:

Yeah... he cannot play D1 linebacker at 185 lbs.  Not gonna happen.  He needs to be at LEAST 210 lbs - and even that would be "light".  He needs to FOCUS on packing on some muscle - that means PROTEIN, baby!  EAT.

---------------------------------------------

A frame this size can easily carry an add'l 50 plus lbs. This is too much for one year but 25 lbs per year is very achievable.

Red, the reality is if this kid was already 235 lbs he wouldn't be here.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/05/2014 7:18 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


He's about the same weight but a little taller, as AJ Gass.  Does anyone remember this guy?  Was a a good OLB despite being undersized.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 11:22 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


Yes, remember him well. Won a few gray cups up in Canada?
Under'DOGS 4 Life
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 11:29 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 



LuDog70 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- redroadster wrote:

Yeah... he cannot play D1 linebacker at 185 lbs.  Not gonna happen.  He needs to be at LEAST 210 lbs - and even that would be "light".  He needs to FOCUS on packing on some muscle - that means PROTEIN, baby!  EAT.

---------------------------------------------

A frame this size can easily carry an add'l 50 plus lbs. This is too much for one year but 25 lbs per year is very achievable.

Red, the reality is if this kid was already 235 lbs he wouldn't be here.

True.  Good point.  Probably means he will redshirt for a year and have a chance to put on some lean muscle, hoping he can keep his speed and quickness.  Certainly hope he works out...
______________________________________


Rooster
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 3:56 PM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


He seemed focused on keeping his speed and ability to get after the quarterback. He basically told me that putting on weight was problematic on his own. He's followed the regiment Fresno State put out, but he still wasn't adding as much weight as he would have liked. This is easily solved by S&C. They'll make some adjustments with him and he will fill out just fine. I was around his size when I came out of high school -- maybe slightly bigger -- and I filled out. His attitude and ethic will go a long way.

Email: Twist@uscfootball.com

Twitter: @FightOnTwist
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 6:36 PM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


Tristan Okpalaugo was rated as an OLB, at 6'6 250lbs it seemed he was pretty mobile for his size.  IIRC
I realize he also played defensive end.  I miss that guy, wish he was still on the team.

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.

Nuff Said!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 9:12 PM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 



sbbulldog85 wrote: Tristan Okpalaugo was rated as an OLB, at 6'6 250lbs it seemed he was pretty mobile for his size.  IIRC
I realize he also played defensive end.  I miss that guy, wish he was still on the team.
Tristan was a 6-5 200 lb stick when he walked on.  If he can get to 250 then they can get Green up to 210 or so.

Hell, Brandon Hughes was maybe 5 pounds heavier than Green when he stepped on campus, and he's in the 215 neighborhood now.

RIP Jim Sweeney. 

President and co-founder of the Marteze Waller Bandwagon

Follow me on teh twitters @Sir_Roflcopter
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/06/2014 7:25 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


He made slight modifications to his diet from the training program he got from FS. I can't help but wonder if that was counterproductive to the goal of adding weight. Some guys, just merely loading up on protein shakes won't gain you weight. Others, just taking a bunch of creatine won't matter much. He needs to find a balance with Boese. Calories in, calories out. He may have to be eating 8,000-10,000 calories a day and completely alter his weight training to focus on strength rather than cardio to make much of a difference from now until the USC game. Even so, gaining 10 pounds before the opener may not be enough to get him much playing time. A whole year though should offer him plenty of time to cement a good 30-40lbs.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/06/2014 10:10 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


We have too many studs in the linebacking corps that will force Green to RS. This will only help him and the school in his development and weight gain. He should be able to gain the 40 lbs or so needed to make a push for playing time next season. With being around 6'4", he should be playing at around 235-245 lbs. IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/06/2014 10:29 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


He's a real lean kid, and it's hard to pack on weight to those frames. Very dificult sometimes. Either way, his game-tape doesn't lie. Kid is gonna be a stud, it just might take him a little longer to get there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/06/2014 10:55 AM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


The OLB corps is deep.  Real deep. We can easily afford to RS him and let him get physically ready.

I'm really curious to see how it shakes out the next couple years....Dro and Lewis have the starting spots on lockdown, but Hughes, Rose, Stanley, and Van Hook will all be battling for PT.

RIP Jim Sweeney. 

President and co-founder of the Marteze Waller Bandwagon

Follow me on teh twitters @Sir_Roflcopter
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/06/2014 1:22 PM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 



arx162218 wrote: He made slight modifications to his diet from the training program he got from FS. I can't help but wonder if that was counterproductive to the goal of adding weight. Some guys, just merely loading up on protein shakes won't gain you weight. Others, just taking a bunch of creatine won't matter much. He needs to find a balance with Boese. Calories in, calories out. He may have to be eating 8,000-10,000 calories a day and completely alter his weight training to focus on strength rather than cardio to make much of a difference from now until the USC game. Even so, gaining 10 pounds before the opener may not be enough to get him much playing time. A whole year though should offer him plenty of time to cement a good 30-40lbs.
I see it the same. He may be the type to have to bulk up, then get into playing shape which unfortunately would shed SOME of those pounds gained. I tried for years to bulk up including eating 5000-6000 calories a day, lifting heavy and minimizing cardio. I probably only packed on 15 pounds over a three year period doing that. He may in that same boat, which is why your number of 8-10k a day may be very necessary.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/06/2014 1:56 PM

Re: Justin Green is sizing up the situation 


Some guys actually don't realize that for the reps that they lift, increasing rep numbers but keeping weights constant, they inadvertently go into cardio mode rather than the necessary strength training. Most of the guys that I've seen coming out of HS and gearing up for college training go overboard working out every day. That's actually counterproductive to a strength training regimen, turning their workouts into cardio runs instead. So even at the 8-10K calorie diet, you still need to change your workout to likely 3-4 times a week with a recovery day inbetween workouts and go heavy on creatine. And even after this, some guys just have a metabolism that keeps up with their caloric consumption to where they need to alter the types of foods they eat rather than the amount of calories they take in. 

I would hope he bulks up the right way. Some guys go heavy on junk food and pay a price later in life for it. It may take a year or two to gain the necessary weight the healthy way to establish a good playing weight, so patience is a virtue for someone like Green who's got a huge frame that has such a high weight ceiling. But his body will thank him for another 40-50 years if the weight comes on right and he goes into conditioning mode from there on out. 

portlandog wrote:
arx162218 wrote: He made slight modifications to his diet from the training program he got from FS. I can't help but wonder if that was counterproductive to the goal of adding weight. Some guys, just merely loading up on protein shakes won't gain you weight. Others, just taking a bunch of creatine won't matter much. He needs to find a balance with Boese. Calories in, calories out. He may have to be eating 8,000-10,000 calories a day and completely alter his weight training to focus on strength rather than cardio to make much of a difference from now until the USC game. Even so, gaining 10 pounds before the opener may not be enough to get him much playing time. A whole year though should offer him plenty of time to cement a good 30-40lbs.
I see it the same. He may be the type to have to bulk up, then get into playing shape which unfortunately would shed SOME of those pounds gained. I tried for years to bulk up including eating 5000-6000 calories a day, lifting heavy and minimizing cardio. I probably only packed on 15 pounds over a three year period doing that. He may in that same boat, which is why your number of 8-10k a day may be very necessary.
Reply | Quote