Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

This board

Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 10:58 PM

This board 


There are only a few regular posters on this board, but I know there are several thousand (at least) UM Hockey fanatics out there. For the couple hundred of you that seem to read every post, but don't reply, what would you be interested in talking about? I personally would love to see Red's Room be more lively.

What say you!

--Gary

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/6/2012 11:58 PM

RE: This board 


It's hard to comment on something you can't watch. Wish this board was busy too, at least somewhat like Crisler Corner. Thought traffic would increase when we got the BTN but it's only gotten about 2-3 more games televised a year, which is pretty disappointing. I know there's a pretty decent game thread each game over at m-go-blog
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2012 2:08 AM

RE: This board 


I asked if we could get a few hockey interviews but I was told not possible. I promise am not throwing anyone under the bus but a weekly interview posted on here would be awesome. I do not live in Ann Arbor but I would do it for free from home. This is what I was talking about a few weeks ago, there are only a few die hards who support all Michigan sports. I wish there was more I really do. Like bacon said hard when it's not on TV. I said it went it went down that we would not see more games on TV. We might see less. Basketball will take a bigger draw on Saturdays then hockey. They will not do an over flow channel because of costs. Last few years Michigan was on a lot on TV.

I still feel that the big ten hockey conference was an absolutely horrible and bone head desicion. It almost destroyed corge hockey. I think one team folded up. I think the big 10 expansion had to bring two hockey teams to solidify the hockey but because it was based off money and not sports programs we missed. Big 10 hockey with only six teams could hurt itself when it comes to NCAA time. SOS could possibly big effected which will damage RPI. The big 10 will never let it go back to a different conference like the CCHA or WCHA again but if for some reason you did do you not think other schools will not trust the big 10 for fear they may pull this again? Is there already animosity amongst some schools? I would not blame them. Playing 5 teams 4 times each is going to suck boys am sorry. No reason to have a conference tourney.
Reply | Quote
  • crow20
  • All Conference
  • 518 posts this site

Posted: 12/18/2012 8:17 PM

RE: This board 


Does the rest of the B1G have club teams that maybe could be elevated to varsity status with scholarship players or would that be more of a commitment to hockey then these schools would want to make?  I've always wondered why schools like Illiniois for instance with such a popular NHL team in state (Blackhawks) didn't have a varsity team....Or NW for that matter....seems if Nebraska Omaha had an established program that Nebraska would too....I think if the rest of the B1G bought into hockey it could evolve and catch on and be a popular league to watch.  Does anyone know if all the campuses have ice arena's for instance?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/19/2012 2:10 AM

RE: This board 


Cost to go to D-1 hockey is crazy. Psu is going to D-1 hockey in both men's and women's. i believe they played their first varsity game this year. I think it was about 102 million start up. they built an arena which was a huge chunk but if you do not have facilities just like in football and any other sport you won't get recruits. I do not believe there are schools that have top of the line facilities that are club teams. If am not mistaken Nebraska Omaha almost gave hockey a few years. It costs a lot of money to run a d-1 team. Yea the big 10 brings in a boat loud of money but schools are not spending that on hockey. We just start varsity lacrosse in both mens and womens, start up was 4-5 million per squad. I wish two more schools would play hockey would make our conference stronger. The league will realize we made a mistake in a few years. We should have added two teams that are not from the big 10 into the hockey conference. The big 10 said more games will be on TV but basketball will dominate the big 10 network.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/21/2012 1:46 PM

RE: This board 


I disagree about basketball dominating live coverage on the network.  I would guess that the BTN will push Michigan games up on Friday to 6:30 and then a Minnesota/Wisconsin game will be on at 9ish.  On Saturday most B-ball games run from noon-two, two-four or four-six.  After six they'll transition to hockey.  I'm actually very excited for what the Big Ten Network might be able to do for college hockey.  More live events on the BTN might mean more advertising $$$ which could help other clubs make the jump to varsity in the future.  I am curious how the revenue breakdown for hockey will go for teams that don't have a varsity team.  Will the BTN split continue to go right down the middle right now with the 8 non-hockey teams receiving part of the ad revenue during hockey games?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/1/2013 8:59 PM

RE: This board 



BretOsburn wrote: I disagree about basketball dominating live coverage on the network.  I would guess that the BTN will push Michigan games up on Friday to 6:30 and then a Minnesota/Wisconsin game will be on at 9ish.  On Saturday most B-ball games run from noon-two, two-four or four-six.  After six they'll transition to hockey.  I'm actually very excited for what the Big Ten Network might be able to do for college hockey.  More live events on the BTN might mean more advertising $$$ which could help other clubs make the jump to varsity in the future.  I am curious how the revenue breakdown for hockey will go for teams that don't have a varsity team.  Will the BTN split continue to go right down the middle right now with the 8 non-hockey teams receiving part of the ad revenue during hockey games?

Bret, I concur 100%. And with the NHL lockout going on, BTN hockey is just about the only hockey show in town right now. Why isn't the BTN showing B1G hockey 5-6 nights a week???
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/1/2013 9:41 PM

RE: This board 


Probably b/c there aren't alot of midweek games in college hockey during conference play. But every time B1G schools match up (UM-MSU, MSU-OSU, UM-OSU, UW-Minn), BTN should be all over those, even on a tape delay. 
Boilerbuilder wrote:
BretOsburn wrote: I disagree about basketball dominating live coverage on the network.  I would guess that the BTN will push Michigan games up on Friday to 6:30 and then a Minnesota/Wisconsin game will be on at 9ish.  On Saturday most B-ball games run from noon-two, two-four or four-six.  After six they'll transition to hockey.  I'm actually very excited for what the Big Ten Network might be able to do for college hockey.  More live events on the BTN might mean more advertising $$$ which could help other clubs make the jump to varsity in the future.  I am curious how the revenue breakdown for hockey will go for teams that don't have a varsity team.  Will the BTN split continue to go right down the middle right now with the 8 non-hockey teams receiving part of the ad revenue during hockey games?

Bret, I concur 100%. And with the NHL lockout going on, BTN hockey is just about the only hockey show in town right now. Why isn't the BTN showing B1G hockey 5-6 nights a week???
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/1/2013 9:55 PM

RE: This board 


But see they are not doing it and that is why I disagree with Bret that will see more Michigan hockey or BT hockey on the BTN. It just costs to much money and the return $$$ is not there. This is dominated by $$$$. A few years ago the GLI got the ax when it came to TV thank god they put that back on. There is not as many people who tune in to watch a college hockey game. It sucks. How many teams are west of the Rockies? You lose the west coast just like that. Well besides me and if I have to I will put all 5 of my TV's on just to bump up the west coast rating. Lol.

Back to what am getting at non Michigan fans are not going to tune to watch them play Wisconsin or whoever they are playing. It's not football or basketball. They can turn on pro basketball, hockey or football. College hockey just is not there. I wish it was. Far more entertaining then pro basketball or hockey.

We disagree but that is ok. I hope you turnout to be right because I love college hockey
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/4/2013 1:59 PM

RE: This board 


Would love to see more college hockey on BTN as I live out of state and other than the internet, is the only way I can follow Michigan/college hockey.

Really enjoyed watching the Big Chill at the Big House two years ago.  On a side note, I have some commemorative glasses (yes, from Arby's) that my parents picked up for me with the logo from that game.

Unfortunately, this season for the hockey team is kind of in the crapper (which I believe we can attribute to some defections -- think John Gibson).  Hopefully, the recruiting game picks-up again and Red can get some of those teams like they had in the mid-90s (Morrison, Madden, Hayes).

Go Blue!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/4/2013 2:09 PM

RE: This board 


BTN can't just tape delay whatever they want.  Fox Sports has the broadcast rights to most CCHA and WCHA games right now.  Once those contracts are irrelevant (next season when the Big 10 season starts), I suspect that just about every Michigan hockey game will be shown live on the BTN.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/5/2013 1:47 AM

RE: This board 


i hope u are right, bret. i like listening to the radio broadcasts but i would rather see the games live.
BretOsburn wrote: BTN can't just tape delay whatever they want.  Fox Sports has the broadcast rights to most CCHA and WCHA games right now.  Once those contracts are irrelevant (next season when the Big 10 season starts), I suspect that just about every Michigan hockey game will be shown live on the BTN.
"when reason fails, the devil helps!"
Reply | Quote