Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team

Posted: 1/10/2012 9:21 AM

Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


1) Why do the Washington and Washington State boards both have a spot to talk about pro Seattle sports? University of Washington is in Seattle and every now and then and for the 2012 season will play in the Seahawks stadium.  The Apple Cup has been played 104 times which is just as long as the Backyard Brawl.

Washington Board

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147

Washington State Board

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=137


2) Why did the Tennessee Volunteers board care about the Tennessee Titans playoff scenarios?  The Titans play in Nashville where Vanderbilt is.  Tennessee has played Vanderbilt 105 times.

Link to thread

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s...2&t=8505851


3) Why is there a bunch of discussions about Atlanta sports on the Georgia boards?  Georgia has played Georgia Tech 106 times.

Georgia Board

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=135&f=1073


Some of them say they don't root for Atlanta teams because they don't win and not any other reason


Not that any of this will change anything.  I just think it's a stupid argument on our board and it happened every week the Steelers played


4) Who has the right to that pro sports team in city rivalries?
you gonna tell Xavier fans they can't root for the Bengals or tell Penn,Villanova, La Salle, or St. Joseph's fans they can't root for the Eagles
------------------------
West Virginia University 2002-2005
Point Park University--Bachelor of Science in Accounting '10
Carlow University--Master of Science in Financial Forensics & Fraud Investigation '12

Last edited 1/10/2012 9:32 AM by wvu1050

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/11/2012 11:04 AM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


You're argument makes zero sense. Washington and Washington State are both INSIDE Washington......so is Seattle. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and the Titans are all INSIDE Tenessee. Georgia, Tech, and Atlanta teams are all INSIDE Georgia. And your last point is the dumbest of all. All of those teams are inside of Cincinnati/Philly. We are in West Virginia. Pittsburgh is in another state and home to our arch rival. Not to mention that the Steelers play in the same facility that Pitt does. The Steelers are a **** organization lead by rapists, terrorist supporters, and some of the dirtiest players in the league.


With that said, I understand why people from northern WV are Steelers fans. If you like the NFL, they're the closest team. Any other WVU fans in Charleston, Huntington, EP, Beckley, etc have no reason to be Steelers fans

Last edited 1/11/2012 11:09 AM by WVfan89

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 11:55 AM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


I live in the Charleston area and I am a Steelers fan.  I have been a Steelers fan since I was little in the 70's when they were winning championships.  I guess that's why I am a fan now..  I hate sPitt, but I love the Steelers.


"He called it,'' said Cincinnati's Lance Stephenson who was defending Butler. "He said, 'Bank.' I said, 'What?' I turned around and saw it go in. Oh man.''
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 12:22 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


Don't forget that the Rooney family are involved with Pitt.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/11/2012 4:01 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



WVfan89 wrote: You're argument makes zero sense. Washington and Washington State are both INSIDE Washington......so is Seattle. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and the Titans are all INSIDE Tenessee. Georgia, Tech, and Atlanta teams are all INSIDE Georgia. And your last point is the dumbest of all. All of those teams are inside of Cincinnati/Philly. We are in West Virginia. Pittsburgh is in another state and home to our arch rival. Not to mention that the Steelers play in the same facility that Pitt does. The Steelers are a **** organization lead by rapists, terrorist supporters, and some of the dirtiest players in the league.


With that said, I understand why people from northern WV are Steelers fans. If you like the NFL, they're the closest team. Any other WVU fans in Charleston, Huntington, EP, Beckley, etc have no reason to be Steelers fans
I knew someone would use the inside the state argument....so you're saying it's the closest team for the rival...Also

Pullman to Seattle is 287 miles
Knoxville to Nashville is 181 miles
Athens to Atlanta is 71 miles

Charleston to Pittsburgh is 228 miles
Huntington to Pittsburgh IS 280 miles
Beckley to Pittsburgh is 240 miles

It's still the closest team for the Southern WV people

Charleston to Baltimore is 365 miles
Charleston to DC IS 333 miles

Huntington to Baltimore is 417 miles
Huntington to DC is 382 miles

Beckley to Baltimore is 340 miles
Beckley to DC IS 299 miles


The reason the inside the state/city argument doesn't mean anything is it has been argued here that you'd be standing next to your rival at the stadium with both fan bases rooting for the Steelers That's why those were brought up to counter-argue those people

you can use the Pitt shares facilities with the Steelers but Washington using Seattle's stadium doesn't mean anything


I'm not saying that everyone has to root for the Steelers or other Pittsburgh teams...everyone can root for who they want to.  It's just it always turns into an argument when someone started a Steelers thread...and as I can see you dislike the Steelers and I'm fine by it.  I'm a Mountaineer fan since 9 years old (I'm 27 now) that lives in Pittsburgh so it's who i'm gonna root for

West Virginia is in an interesting location.  On this board there's probably fans for Steelers,Browns,Bengals,Ravens,Eagles,Bills and Redskins.  You probably have some Cowboys fans.  There's a bunch of students come from New Jersey so that probably brings in the Jets and Giants fan bases.  In the end, we are all Mountaineers which is what really matters and shouldn't let what pro sports team we root for mean anything.
------------------------
West Virginia University 2002-2005
Point Park University--Bachelor of Science in Accounting '10
Carlow University--Master of Science in Financial Forensics & Fraud Investigation '12

Last edited 1/11/2012 4:03 PM by wvu1050

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/11/2012 6:18 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



wvu1050 wrote:
WVfan89 wrote: You're argument makes zero sense. Washington and Washington State are both INSIDE Washington......so is Seattle. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and the Titans are all INSIDE Tenessee. Georgia, Tech, and Atlanta teams are all INSIDE Georgia. And your last point is the dumbest of all. All of those teams are inside of Cincinnati/Philly. We are in West Virginia. Pittsburgh is in another state and home to our arch rival. Not to mention that the Steelers play in the same facility that Pitt does. The Steelers are a **** organization lead by rapists, terrorist supporters, and some of the dirtiest players in the league.


With that said, I understand why people from northern WV are Steelers fans. If you like the NFL, they're the closest team. Any other WVU fans in Charleston, Huntington, EP, Beckley, etc have no reason to be Steelers fans
I knew someone would use the inside the state argument....so you're saying it's the closest team for the rival...Also

Pullman to Seattle is 287 miles
Knoxville to Nashville is 181 miles
Athens to Atlanta is 71 miles

Charleston to Pittsburgh is 228 miles
Huntington to Pittsburgh IS 280 miles
Beckley to Pittsburgh is 240 miles

It's still the closest team for the Southern WV people

Charleston to Baltimore is 365 miles
Charleston to DC IS 333 miles

Huntington to Baltimore is 417 miles
Huntington to DC is 382 miles

Beckley to Baltimore is 340 miles
Beckley to DC IS 299 miles


The reason the inside the state/city argument doesn't mean anything is it has been argued here that you'd be standing next to your rival at the stadium with both fan bases rooting for the Steelers That's why those were brought up to counter-argue those people

you can use the Pitt shares facilities with the Steelers but Washington using Seattle's stadium doesn't mean anything


I'm not saying that everyone has to root for the Steelers or other Pittsburgh teams...everyone can root for who they want to.  It's just it always turns into an argument when someone started a Steelers thread...and as I can see you dislike the Steelers and I'm fine by it.  I'm a Mountaineer fan since 9 years old (I'm 27 now) that lives in Pittsburgh so it's who i'm gonna root for

West Virginia is in an interesting location.  On this board there's probably fans for Steelers,Browns,Bengals,Ravens,Eagles,Bills and Redskins.  You probably have some Cowboys fans.  There's a bunch of students come from New Jersey so that probably brings in the Jets and Giants fan bases.  In the end, we are all Mountaineers which is what really matters and shouldn't let what pro sports team we root for mean anything.

You forgot.......

Huntington to Cincinnati = 145 miles

Everything in Huntington revolves around the Reds and Bengals the same way Morgantown does the Steelers. Pittsburgh is an afterthought in Huntington.....and Charleston too for that matter as we have the same TV stations.

Who Dey?!

You're right though about WV being one of those weird states where there are so many different fans. Throw the Panthers into that mix too. I've met quite a few Panther fans in the southern part of the state. Only 175 miles from Princeton/Bluefield area

Last edited 1/11/2012 6:21 PM by WVfan89

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 6:33 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



WVfan89 wrote: You're argument makes zero sense. Washington and Washington State are both INSIDE Washington......so is Seattle. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and the Titans are all INSIDE Tenessee. Georgia, Tech, and Atlanta teams are all INSIDE Georgia. And your last point is the dumbest of all. All of those teams are inside of Cincinnati/Philly. We are in West Virginia. Pittsburgh is in another state and home to our arch rival. Not to mention that the Steelers play in the same facility that Pitt does. The Steelers are a **** organization lead by rapists, terrorist supporters, and some of the dirtiest players in the league.


With that said, I understand why people from northern WV are Steelers fans. If you like the NFL, they're the closest team. Any other WVU fans in Charleston, Huntington, EP, Beckley, etc have no reason to be Steelers fans
No the argument is quite logical and it makes a lot more sense that people thinking that they are required to hate the Steelers because of Pitt.  Let me add another one to the list, both OU fans and UT fans like the Cowboys.  I am sure at a Cowboys game there are OU fans, UT fans, and probably A&M fans.  There are no pro teams in WV, so if WV citizens root for a Pittsburgh or Cincy team it hardly makes them any less of a WVU fan.
 
 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 6:34 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



cavalier44 wrote: Don't forget that the Rooney family are involved with Pitt.
Um, they all went to Duquesne.  Get your facts straight please.
 
 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 7:06 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


Ok Let me get my fats straight.

"As a lifelong Pittsburgher, it will be very special for me personally to host the Pitt Basketball team here in Dublin during its tour to Ireland," Rooney said in a statement.

 

"Dan Rooney called Steve Pederson to recommend he talk to Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley before he hired a coach several weeks ago. Pederson never interviewed Bradley. The relationship between Pitt and the Steelers, who share the same indoor facility, a lunchroom and an office duplex, has been strained" (Steelers Chat Transcript, Jan. 4, 2011).

 

If Rooney wasn't involved then why would a relationship be strained and why would he have input on who Pitt hires?

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 7:09 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


And some more.

In 1994, Hillgrove was handpicked by Pittsburgh Steelers' owner Dan Rooney to replace the retiring Jack Fleming as the team's new play-by-play announcer. Fleming, incidentally, was the 1999 recipient of the Schenkel Award for his work with West Virginia.

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2011-articles/oc tober/five-burning-questions-legendary-pitt-panthe rs-play-by-play-announcer-bill-hillgrove.html

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 7:12 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


Here is your loveable Pittsburgh Steelers owner and his family picture with the Spitt Basketball team.

http://pittnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Pit t%20rooney.jpg

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 8:18 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


The man is a Duquesne grad and gives big bucks to the school.  The Rooney's obviously have a limited connection to Pitt. They are hardly the big boosters of Pitt athletics.  What do you expect the amb to Ireland to do when the basketball team from his home town shows up? Just ignore them??? The University of Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Steelers are completely separate. I am born and raised in Western PA and I love the Steelers.  I love WVU and am very proud to call myself an alum of WVU.  The two teams are not one in the same!
 
 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 8:36 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


Denial.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2012 10:14 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



cavalier44 wrote: Denial.
What do you say to Bengals fans from WV?? Are they wrong to root for a team that shares a city with the Bearcats?
 
 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/11/2012 10:22 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 




---------------------------------------------
--- WVfan89 wrote:


wvu1050 wrote:
WVfan89 wrote: You're argument makes zero sense. Washington and Washington State are both INSIDE Washington......so is Seattle. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, and the Titans are all INSIDE Tenessee. Georgia, Tech, and Atlanta teams are all INSIDE Georgia. And your last point is the dumbest of all. All of those teams are inside of Cincinnati/Philly. We are in West Virginia. Pittsburgh is in another state and home to our arch rival. Not to mention that the Steelers play in the same facility that Pitt does. The Steelers are a **** organization lead by rapists, terrorist supporters, and some of the dirtiest players in the league.


With that said, I understand why people from northern WV are Steelers fans. If you like the NFL, they're the closest team. Any other WVU fans in Charleston, Huntington, EP, Beckley, etc have no reason to be Steelers fans
I knew someone would use the inside the state argument....so you're saying it's the closest team for the rival...Also

Pullman to Seattle is 287 miles
Knoxville to Nashville is 181 miles
Athens to Atlanta is 71 miles

Charleston to Pittsburgh is 228 miles
Huntington to Pittsburgh IS 280 miles
Beckley to Pittsburgh is 240 miles

It's still the closest team for the Southern WV people

Charleston to Baltimore is 365 miles
Charleston to DC IS 333 miles

Huntington to Baltimore is 417 miles
Huntington to DC is 382 miles

Beckley to Baltimore is 340 miles
Beckley to DC IS 299 miles


The reason the inside the state/city argument doesn't mean anything is it has been argued here that you'd be standing next to your rival at the stadium with both fan bases rooting for the Steelers That's why those were brought up to counter-argue those people

you can use the Pitt shares facilities with the Steelers but Washington using Seattle's stadium doesn't mean anything


I'm not saying that everyone has to root for the Steelers or other Pittsburgh teams...everyone can root for who they want to.  It's just it always turns into an argument when someone started a Steelers thread...and as I can see you dislike the Steelers and I'm fine by it.  I'm a Mountaineer fan since 9 years old (I'm 27 now) that lives in Pittsburgh so it's who i'm gonna root for

West Virginia is in an interesting location.  On this board there's probably fans for Steelers,Browns,Bengals,Ravens,Eagles,Bills and Redskins.  You probably have some Cowboys fans.  There's a bunch of students come from New Jersey so that probably brings in the Jets and Giants fan bases.  In the end, we are all Mountaineers which is what really matters and shouldn't let what pro sports team we root for mean anything.

You forgot.......

Huntington to Cincinnati = 145 miles

Everything in Huntington revolves around the Reds and Bengals the same way Morgantown does the Steelers. Pittsburgh is an afterthought in Huntington.....and Charleston too for that matter as we have the same TV stations.

Who Dey?!

You're right though about WV being one of those weird states where there are so many different fans. Throw the Panthers into that mix too. I've met quite a few Panther fans in the southern part of the state. Only 175 miles from Princeton/Bluefield area

---------------------------------------------
Youre right..I apologize...thought since cincy is on the other side of ohio that the pittsburgh is closer...did include it in my list of multiple fan bases for west virginia at least.
------------------------
West Virginia University 2002-2005
Point Park University--Bachelor of Science in Accounting '10
Carlow University--Master of Science in Financial Forensics & Fraud Investigation '12

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/12/2012 11:12 AM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


The last time I checked Pitt is our most HATED rival. Also, the Bearcats don't use the same facilities as the Bengals and you don't see the Bengals owner having major input on what goes on at Cincy. Once again, you are in complete denial.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/12/2012 2:30 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



HugginsHeroes wrote:
cavalier44 wrote: Denial.
What do you say to Bengals fans from WV?? Are they wrong to root for a team that shares a city with the Bearcats?

Cincinnati is completely irrelevant to WVU fans. I couldn't give two ***** about that university
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/22/2012 5:11 PM

RE: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


If WVU had no alumni, students or donors from Pittsburgh, WVU would be in the MAC or Conference USA.
"When the enemy is relaxed, make them toil.  When full, starve them.  When settled, make them move."
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/22/2012 6:17 PM

Re: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 


WVU is a school. So is Pitt.

The Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins are all PROFESSIONAL SPORTS FRANCHISES.

It's really that simple.

But for simple minds, yes, the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins hail from the same city that happens to also have a few colleges within their city limits.

And for anyone that can't separate colleges from professional sports franchises, here's an...


...HELLO, ANYBODY HOME???

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS our problem."
                                                                    Ronald Reagan
                            

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/23/2012 11:19 PM

RE: Questions for fans that hate pro Pittsburgh sports team 



WVUinPgh wrote: If WVU had no alumni, students or donors from Pittsburgh, WVU would be in the MAC or Conference USA.
Without the out of state students, WVU would be Marshall and that is pretty much a guarantee.
 
 

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >