Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening"

Avatar

Posted: 07/05/2014 8:27 PM

Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Good Luck to Hart and Alemany players repping their schools at "The Opening". 

Hart’s Brady White and Trent Irwin, Alemany’s DeSean Holmes, Notre Dame’s C.J. Sanders and Crespi’s Marvel Tell are all scheduled to participate today in the fourth edition of The Opening, an event that features 162 of the nation’s top high school football prospects.

The camp, which runs through Thursday, is held at Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.

Trent Dilfer, Natrone Means, Jordan Palmer, Willie McGinest, Keith Bullock, LeCharles Bentley and Aeneas Williams are the coaches who will work directly with the athletes, including 18 of the top 20 prospects on ESPN’s list of the elite 300 national recruits.

Players will be separated into six teams for 7-on-7 tournament competition, which concludes with the final Thursday.

There will also be linemen challenges, with the elite offensive and defensive linemen competing against one another in drills.

All of the campers will take in SPARQ testing, which includes the 40-yard dash, power-ball toss, vertical jump and shuttle drills.

The athletes with the top scores will square off in a SPARQ rating national championship later in the week.

White is also one of 18 quarterbacks invited to participate in the annual Elite 11 competition, with Dilfer working as the lead counselor.

— Erik Boal

Last edited 07/05/2014 8:28 PM by fb2000

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/07/2014 6:25 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


I believe Ricky Towns from SB is also at the Elite 11 this year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/08/2014 12:56 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



John832verse wrote: I believe Ricky Towns from SB is also at the Elite 11 this year.

Dilfer's rankings after day one and two.  Most of the recruiting guys raving on-line about Brady White's performance on Day #2.


After Day #2

1) Stidham
2) Lock
3) Barnett
4) White
5) Darnold
6) Francois
7) Hicks
8) Brand
9) Rosen
10) Johnson
11) Town


After Day # 1

1) Stidham
2) Lock
3) Rosen
4) Barnett
5) Brand
6) Bowers
7) Wimbash
8) Waller
9) Darnold
10) Johnson
11) White
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/08/2014 3:04 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Great stuff. Good luck guys!
Read an article about Dilfer on si.com yesterday, I think. Great to see someone with so much spirit helping the kids reach their potentials. We have some excellent coaches in the area but it's nice to get a fresh voice sometimes, and I'm sure it helps motivate the kids to go to events like that
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/08/2014 3:36 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



A look at Day Two from the Elite 11 Finals in Beaverton...

Ben Hicks: I liked the way he sells the play-action pass... He showed the ball, pulls it back in nicely, and threw a couple of nice passes in this format today. He threw some nice balls, but when he struggled, it was most because he threw a little late. He can improve his anticipation. Overall, solid day. -CS
Travis Waller: He has a long and deliberate delivery. He really extends the ball back in his release and it slows down his delivery. He has good eyes, saw the field well today, and he really keeps his feet moving in the pocket. The ball got high on him at times. -CS
Jarrett Stidham: Same as day one -- very good. This time he showed accuracy against defenders. He stuck the ball into tight coverage and led his receivers well. My vote for top signal caller goes to Stidham again today. -CS
Sam Darnold: Big quarterback who moves better than some would think. Hit his first four throws on the day and had one interception before throwing a touchdown. Delivered some good short and intermediate passes again today. -CS
Ricky Town: Was better on day two than on day one for me. Made good reads, made quick decisions, and managed the field well against coverage. Did not force passes. He is a smart quarterback. -CS
Blake Barnett: Not as sharp on day two... Made my Hot List at No. 3 on day one, would not be in the top five today. Struggled hitting the wideouts against the coverage on day two. -CS
Ross Bowers: Sharp today... Set feet well and nice balance in the pocket. He was spot on most of today against the defenders. -CS
Both Josh Rosen and Deondre Francois (Top five performers for me day one) were solid day two, but not as good as day one. Both stood out in the afternoon session Sunday and both were in the middle of the pack Monday. Francois made a nice throw on a seam route and Rosen was best underneath. -CS
DeAndre Johnson: Was in the first group and had a strong showing. Got the rid of the ball on time, put the ball in a good space, and he he finished with a high completion percentage. -CS
Sheriron Jones: Jones was in the first group today and threw a nice ball in both his series'. He was able to put it in tight spaces, but without rushing his throws and made nice reads. -BH
Brian Lewerke: Shook off an early interception to have a better drive in the second series. Did a good job looking off his defenders to find the open receiver. Showed good touch on his throws. -BH
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/08/2014 5:50 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Atta boy Waller! Homeboy is a stud wish he was slinging at Serra
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/09/2014 10:32 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


First day of The Opening is in the books. Today was testing for the SPARQ Rating National Championship.

When the smoke cleared, Marvell Tell '15 had the 16th highest rating out the top 200 football players in the United States. His rating was 125.16. He measured in at 6-2, 184, ran the electronic 40 yard dash in 4.55, the 20 yard shuttle in 4.19, Threw the keeling power ball 41.0 and had a vertical jump of 39.3.


GO CELTS!!!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/10/2014 4:02 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 





---------------------------------------------
--- CeltasaurusRex wrote:

First day of The Opening is in the books. Today was testing for the SPARQ Rating National Championship.

When the smoke cleared, Marvell Tell '15 had the 16th highest rating out the top 200 football players in the United States. His rating was 125.16. He measured in at 6-2, 184, ran the electronic 40 yard dash in 4.55, the 20 yard shuttle in 4.19, Threw the keeling power ball 41.0 and had a vertical jump of 39.3.
GO CELTS!!!



---------------------------------------------
That's pretty impressive! Great job for Marvell.
******SERAPH FACTOR******
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/10/2014 4:18 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


That's really impressive by M. Tell. Congrats to him and Crespi. 

I'd say that Crespi has the best DL/LB/DB trio, not only in the league, but in all of D1. Obviously Tell is one of the best DBs in SoCal (and now on the national scene), DJ Beavers at LB and Vaimoe Sekona Sekona at DT.  That's a great start on defense. 

I also thought #1 Daniel Collins looked really good versus Loyola last year. Then again, everyone on Crespi's D looked like a superstar versus Loyola. Hopefully, Crespi can fill in the role players and a solid line around these star athletes. 

Best of luck to the recruits at these camps. I hope they stay local in the Pac-12, but overall, choose the best fit academically and athletically for their future.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/10/2014 5:05 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



1901VeniceCub wrote:

I also thought #1 Daniel Collins looked really good versus Loyola last year. Then again, everyone on Crespi's D looked like a superstar versus Loyola.
Collins transferred to Westlake
Reply | Quote
  • ega43
  • Head Coach
  • 1129 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 07/10/2014 6:22 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Ricky Towne looking good.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/10/2014 7:10 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 





---------------------------------------------
--- ega43 wrote:

Ricky Towne looking good.

---------------------------------------------

Any idea where Ricky Town finished in the final rankings? I heard his 7 on 7 team was in the finals.
******SERAPH FACTOR******

Last edited 07/10/2014 7:11 PM by sfactor

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/10/2014 7:55 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


The Elite 11 standings going into the final day.

1) Blake Barnett
2) Brady White
3) Ben Hicks
4) Drew Lock
5) Jarrett Stidham
6) Kyer Murray
7) Josh Rosen
8) Deondre Francois
9) Travis Waller
10) Brandon Wimbush
11) Sam Darnold

Ricky Town came on strong today, I'm sure he'll be in the final 11.

#1 and #2 QB's going at it @ COC in Sep.  That will be awesome.  Many feel that Trent Irwin is a Top 5 receiver. 
sfactor wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- ega43 wrote:

Ricky Towne looking good.

---------------------------------------------

Any idea where Ricky Town finished in the final rankings? I heard his 7 on 7 team was in the finals.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/10/2014 7:55 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



nadefanweek6 wrote:
1901VeniceCub wrote:

I also thought #1 Daniel Collins looked really good versus Loyola last year. Then again, everyone on Crespi's D looked like a superstar versus Loyola.
Collins transferred to Westlake
Yes, he did.  And now there's two whole positions on the defense from last season who are not returning starters...
Reply | Quote
  • ega43
  • Head Coach
  • 1129 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 7:40 AM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


The SC bound OL was sure fun to watch. Where was D Mama from Bosco?

Last edited 07/11/2014 7:41 AM by ega43

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/11/2014 7:54 AM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Irwin was selected as first team all tournament at WR. Congrats to him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/11/2014 10:29 AM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 





---------------------------------------------
--- FoothillFtbll wrote:

Irwin was selected as first team all tournament at WR. Congrats to him.

---------------------------------------------

Irwin is a STUD and a great example of where great work ethic and determination can take you. Congrats to him, Brady White, Marvell Tell, Desaun Holmes, Ricky Towne as well as all of the other SoCal ballers that represented so well on a national stage. They truly showed and represented what a talent rich area of the country we live in.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/11/2014 1:17 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 1:30 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



slotback21 wrote: Final Ratings for QBs

1. Blake Barnett  of Corona Santiago
2. Ben Hicks of Midway (Waco, Texas)
3. Travis Waller of Servite (Anaheim, Calif.)
4. Kyler Murray of Allen (Texas)
5. Brady White of Hart (Newhall, Calif.)
6. Drew Lock of Lee's Summit (Mo.)
7. Jarrett Stidham of Stephenville (Texas)
8. Ricky Town of St. Bonaventure (Ventura, Calif.)
9. Deondre Francois of IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
10. Brandon Wimbush of St. Peter's Prep (Jersey City, N.J.)
11.Josh Rosen of St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)
And, the schools each player is committed to... Houston is lucky Texas is down in the dumps. 

1. Alabama 
2. Houston 
3. Oregon 
4. Texas A&M 
5. Arizona State 
6. Missouri 
7. Texas Tech 
8. USC 
9. UNCOMMITTED 
10. Penn State 
11. UCLA
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 3:24 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Aint Rosen supposed to be beast? I see ya Waller that boy a beast!
Reply | Quote
  • ega43
  • Head Coach
  • 1129 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 3:34 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Congrats to all. In 2 to 4 years we'll find out who #1 really is from this class.
Should be fun.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/11/2014 5:59 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 





---------------------------------------------
--- SerraCavs wrote:

Aint Rosen supposed to be beast? I see ya Waller that boy a beast!

---------------------------------------------

I watched Rosen in the 7 on 7 final. He looked great, but he did have the best receiver on his team. Not sure why he is 11th but just being there is an honor. I agree Waller is a Stud! I thought i heard you say he was a former Serra player. Why would he leave Serra?
******SERAPH FACTOR******
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 6:06 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Nah hes from OC ahahaha I wish he spin it in red/blue! hed be straight perfect qb for Serra stylee
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/11/2014 6:08 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 





---------------------------------------------
--- SerraCavs wrote:

Nah hes from OC ahahaha I wish he spin it in red/blue! hed be straight perfect qb for Serra stylee

---------------------------------------------

Oh no doubt about that. How's your Qb spot looking this year?
******SERAPH FACTOR******
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 6:11 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



sfactor wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- SerraCavs wrote:

Aint Rosen supposed to be beast? I see ya Waller that boy a beast!

---------------------------------------------

I watched Rosen in the 7 on 7 final. He looked great, but he did have the best receiver on his team. Not sure why he is 11th but just being there is an honor. I agree Waller is a Stud! I thought i heard you say he was a former Serra player. Why would he leave Serra?
Dilfer did not pull punches when talking about how he felt Rosen wasn't "buying in" to what he and his staff was teaching.  On more than one interview he hammered on the point.  One time he said "the kid kep telling me that's not the way we do it at DON BOSCO". LOL

I don't know how he performed but it was clear Dilfer didn't like him and he wasn't going place highly on his list.

Dilfer is a little too high on himself, IMO. 

Congrats to Brady and Trent, proud of those kids!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/11/2014 6:15 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Eh couple young bucks fightin for 1 job not like homeboy Waller tho! Ahahaha


---------------------------------------------
--- sfactor wrote:




---------------------------------------------
--- SerraCavs wrote:

Nah hes from OC ahahaha I wish he spin it in red/blue! hed be straight perfect qb for Serra stylee

---------------------------------------------

Oh no doubt about that. How's your Qb spot looking this year?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/12/2014 8:44 AM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


------------------------------------------
--- fb2000 wrote:


sfactor wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- SerraCavs wrote:

Aint Rosen supposed to be beast? I see ya Waller that boy a beast!

---------------------------------------------

I watched Rosen in the 7 on 7 final. He looked great, but he did have the best receiver on his team. Not sure why he is 11th but just being there is an honor. I agree Waller is a Stud! I thought i heard you say he was a former Serra player. Why would he leave Serra?
Dilfer did not pull punches when talking about how he felt Rosen wasn't "buying in" to what he and his staff was teaching.  On more than one interview he hammered on the point.  One time he said "the kid kep telling me that's not the way we do it at DON BOSCO". LOL

I don't know how he performed but it was clear Dilfer didn't like him and he wasn't going place highly on his list.

Dilfer is a little too high on himself, IMO. 

Congrats to Brady and Trent, proud of those kids!

---------------------------------------------

Good for Rosen! So tired of Qb coaches that don't really know a kid but try and change what got him there. Rosen listens to his HS coach who got him to where he is, along with his own athletic ability. He didn't want to change to pacify Dilfer. Dilfer wasn't exactly a Tom Brady in the league anyway. In fact watching his Raven offense was painful. The Raven Defense would score more than Dilfers offense in their super bowl year. If it was John Gruden, I'm sure Rosen would probably listen.
******SERAPH FACTOR******

Last edited 07/12/2014 8:47 AM by sfactor

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/12/2014 8:58 AM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 



sfactor wrote: ------------------------------------------
--- fb2000 wrote:


sfactor wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- SerraCavs wrote:

Aint Rosen supposed to be beast? I see ya Waller that boy a beast!

---------------------------------------------

I watched Rosen in the 7 on 7 final. He looked great, but he did have the best receiver on his team. Not sure why he is 11th but just being there is an honor. I agree Waller is a Stud! I thought i heard you say he was a former Serra player. Why would he leave Serra?
Dilfer did not pull punches when talking about how he felt Rosen wasn't "buying in" to what he and his staff was teaching.  On more than one interview he hammered on the point.  One time he said "the kid kep telling me that's not the way we do it at DON BOSCO". LOL

I don't know how he performed but it was clear Dilfer didn't like him and he wasn't going place highly on his list.

Dilfer is a little too high on himself, IMO. 

Congrats to Brady and Trent, proud of those kids!

---------------------------------------------

Good for Rosen! So tired of Qb coaches that don't really know a kid but try and change what got him there. Rosen listens to his HS coach who got him to where he is, along with his own athletic ability. He didn't want to change to pacify Dilfer. Dilfer wasn't exactly a Tom Brady in the league anyway. In fact watching his Raven offense was painful. The Raven Defense would score more than Dilfers offense in their super bowl year. If it was John Gruden, I'm sure Rosen would probably listen.

I don't give a hoot about Trent Dilfer...but do have to disagree with the premise of part of your above statement. 

About 15 years ago, I was getting my MBA at Pepperdine.  I was standing in line at the snack bar, and the snack bar lady had a sports trivia question on the board along the lines of -- "What current Pepperdine student was inducted into the Purdue sports hall of fame?"

The guy in front of my asks the lady the answer, and she says, "Jim Everett."  The guy loudly proclaims, "THAT GUY SUCKED!"

I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Hey, Jim Everett's sitting right over there, you should go over and tell him."  And Jim looks up at him and just shakes his head.

The point being that Trent Dilfer, just like Jim Everett were both freakin' NFL quarterbacks.  Just getting to the show means you were amazing!

I'm sure Dilfer has a lot to offer to anyone willing to listen and learn.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/12/2014 12:02 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 





---------------------------------------------
--- sfactor wrote:

Good for Rosen! So tired of Qb coaches that don't really know a kid but try and change what got him there. Rosen listens to his HS coach who got him to where he is, along with his own athletic ability. He didn't want to change to pacify Dilfer. Dilfer wasn't exactly a Tom Brady in the league anyway. In fact watching his Raven offense was painful. The Raven Defense would score more than Dilfers offense in their super bowl year. If it was John Gruden, I'm sure Rosen would probably listen.

---------------------------------------------

Rosen shouldn't accept coaching from Dilfer because he wasn't as successful as Tom Brady in the NFL? How successful was Rosen's high school coach as an NFL starting quarterback?

Some of the most successful coaches at the college and NFL levels were mediocre players, some barely even played. But make no mistake, there is an enormous difference between a QB being coached by a high school coach and by someone who played QB in the NFL and experienced multiple levels of professional coaching. On the flipside, there are also dozens of hall of fame NFL quarterbacks who are absolutely horrible coaches. The ability to "teach" is what separates them, and Dilfer is top-notch.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/12/2014 1:27 PM

Re: Area Football Stars Ready For "The Opening" 


Well anyone is entitled to their opinion and Thats my opinion. The thing is Rosen has his own private Qb coach, who knows exactly what type of things his Qb needs to do to help his team win in High School. I could give a rats ass if Dilfer was an NFL player or not. Just because a guy was in the NFL doesn't mean he can coach a player in High School any better than a top notch High school or Private coach. Ever see a Qb who was made to change his delivery or reads because it didn't pass a certain coaches eyeball test? I've seen it numerous times and it actually made the player worse in some cases. One of better Qb coaches I've seen is Jordan Palmer. He didn't have a lot of success in the NFL, but is one hell of a Qb coach. There are also a lot of people who think Dilfer is a good coach and some have a different opinion. That being said, success in the NFL doesn't mean he is any better or worse of a coach than what Rosen has. I just believe Rosen was being given advice that different than what he was taught. He followed his gut and Dilfer had a problem with that. Meanwhile Rosen is still the top PP Qb in the Nation according to a lot of recruiters. Btw when Rosen said " that's not the way we do things at Bosco" he was following his training that will help his HS team win. After all he plays for Bosco not Team Dilfer.
******SERAPH FACTOR******

Last edited 07/12/2014 1:40 PM by sfactor

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >