Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954)

Posted: 07/21/2014 7:52 AM

UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


The 1954 UCLA Bruins football team represented UCLA in the 1954 college football season. They played their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los AngelesCalifornia and were coached by "Red" Sanders. It was Sanders' sixth season as the UCLA head coach. The Bruins finished 9–0 overall, and were Pacific Coast Conference Champions with a 6–0 record.[1] The Bruins compiled 367 points against their opponents in nine games, and allowed only 40 points. The Bruins were not eligible to play in the Rose Bowl vs. Ohio State because of the "no repeat" rule in effect at the time. No team was allowed to participate in consecutive Rose Bowl games, and since UCLA had played in the 1954 Rose Bowl, they were excluded from the 1955 event. USC competed in the Rose Bowl instead, losing to Ohio State. Following the outcome, UCLA and Ohio State split the national championship since UCLA was ranked #1 by the UPI Coaches' Poll and Ohio State was ranked #1 by the AP Poll. This was and Is there only  1/2 National Championship to date  

Last edited 07/21/2014 7:58 AM by SCweARE111

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 8:10 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Since 1939 Utla has 5 rose Bowl wins and 7 rose bowl loses ,There something to be proud of 

Last edited 07/21/2014 8:13 AM by SCweARE111

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 9:13 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Just curious.  Other than 1967 and 1972, do you count the rest of Southern Cal's championships as only "1/2 championships"?

By the way, it is "their only", not "there only", but I guess good grammar would be too much to expect from a Trojan.
SCweARE111 wrote:

The 1954 UCLA Bruins football team represented UCLA in the 1954 college football season. They played their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los AngelesCalifornia and were coached by "Red" Sanders. It was Sanders' sixth season as the UCLA head coach. The Bruins finished 9–0 overall, and were Pacific Coast Conference Champions with a 6–0 record.[1] The Bruins compiled 367 points against their opponents in nine games, and allowed only 40 points. The Bruins were not eligible to play in the Rose Bowl vs. Ohio State because of the "no repeat" rule in effect at the time. No team was allowed to participate in consecutive Rose Bowl games, and since UCLA had played in the 1954 Rose Bowl, they were excluded from the 1955 event. USC competed in the Rose Bowl instead, losing to Ohio State. Following the outcome, UCLA and Ohio State split the national championship since UCLA was ranked #1 by the UPI Coaches' Poll and Ohio State was ranked #1 by the AP Poll. This was and Is there only  1/2 National Championship to date  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 9:25 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


1954 

Jan 1st 1954 - Rose & Cotton Bowl are 1st sport colorcasts ,The only problem was no one had Color Tv's

Jan 8th - Elvis Presley pays $4 to a Memphis studio & records his 1st two songs, "Casual Love" & "I'll Never Stand in Your Way"

Feb 10th - Eisenhower warns against US intervention in Vietnam

Feb 11th - 6th Emmy Awards: I Love Lucy, Donald O'Connor & Eve Arden win

Feb 14th - Sen John Kennedy appears on "Meet the Press"

1954 what a year 


Last edited 07/21/2014 1:20 PM by SCweARE111

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 9:32 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


nominate | report

posted: today 9:13 am

re: utla only 1/2 national championship (1954) 


just curious.  other than 1967 and 1972, do you count the rest of southern cal's championships as only "1/2 championships"?

by the way, it is "their only", not "there only", but i guess good grammar would be too much to expect from a trojan.



bRuins and the NCAA are the only one's that count that way, but like Colin Cowherd say's, people only remember that USC won those games.    USC   32 W's Rose Bowl Games and 17 Rose Bowl Loss's .  What it looks like to me, is that USC has had more Rose Bowl Loss's then FUCLA had total Appearances(13).   THAT's why USC is a storied Program and the bRuins are a fly by night Team.rofl.gifrofl.gif  clown.gif

  

1. Little Things Mean a Lot, Kitty Kallen
2. Wanted, Perry Como
3. Hey There, Rosemary Clooney
4. Sh Boom, Crew Cuts
5. Make Love to Me, Jo Stafford
6. Oh! My Pa-Pa (O mein papa), Eddie Fisher
7. I Get So Lonely, The Four Knights
8. Three Coins in the Fountain, The Four Aces
9. Secret Love, Doris Day
10. Hernando's Hideaway, Archie Bleyer
11. Young At Heart, Frank Sinatra
12. This Ole House, Rosemary Clooney
13. I Need You Now, Eddie Fisher
14. Cross Over the Bridge (Rerecorded), Patti Page
15. The Little Shoemaker, The Gaylords
16. That's Amore, Dean Martin
17. The Happy Wanderer, Frank Weir
18. Answer Me, My Love, Nat King Cole
19. Stranger In Paradise, Tony Bennett
20. If I Give My Heart To You, Doris Day
21. If You Love Me (Really Love Me), Kay Starr
22. Skokiaan, Ralph Marterie
23. Hold My Hand, Don Cornell
24. Changing Partners, Patti Page
25. Papa Loves Mambo, Perry Como
26. Shake Rattle And Roll, Bill Haley & His Comets
27. Rags to Riches, Tony Bennett
28. In the Chapel In the Moonlight, Kitty Kallen
29. Stranger In Paradise, Four Aces
30. Here, Tony Martin


WE ARE SC

Last edited 07/21/2014 9:40 AM by oldmanjay66

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:09 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Kinda like intelligence and common sense for you!

Dumbass bRuins !
---------------------------------------------
--- BruinNCs wrote:

Just curious.  Other than 1967 and 1972, do you count the rest of Southern Cal's championships as only "1/2 championships"?

By the way, it is "their only", not "there only", but I guess good grammar would be too much to expect from a Trojan.
SCweARE111 wrote:The 1954 UCLA Bruins football team represented UCLA in the 1954 college football season. They played their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los AngelesCalifornia and were coached by "Red" Sanders. It was Sanders' sixth season as the UCLA head coach. The Bruins finished 9–0 overall, and were Pacific Coast Conference Champions with a 6–0 record.[1] The Bruins compiled 367 points against their opponents in nine games, and allowed only 40 points. The Bruins were not eligible to play in the Rose Bowl vs. Ohio State because of the "no repeat" rule in effect at the time. No team was allowed to participate in consecutive Rose Bowl games, and since UCLA had played in the 1954 Rose Bowl, they were excluded from the 1955 event. USC competed in the Rose Bowl instead, losing to Ohio State. Following the outcome, UCLA and Ohio State split the national championship since UCLA was ranked #1 by the UPI Coaches' Poll and Ohio State was ranked #1 by the AP Poll. This was and Is there only  1/2 National Championship to date  



---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:09 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Well UCLA is on top right now.  They're a top 10 program and many pick them to go to the playoff....noidea
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:12 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


On top of what? Top 10 where?
Keystone10 wrote: Well UCLA is on top right now.  They're a top 10 program and many pick them to go to the playoff....noidea
                                          


Fight on!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:13 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Yeah... Why don't you go to the bank with that one! LMFAO!
---------------------------------------------
--- Keystone10 wrote:

Well UCLA is on top right now.  They're a top 10 program and many pick them to go to the playoff....noidea

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:26 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Like your name Keystone, the beer and the bRuins are god awful


WE ARE SC
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:31 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


I always thought he was a member of the Keystone Kops. You know, the bumbling incompetent type
oldmanjay66 wrote: Like your name Keystone, the beer and the bRuins are god awful
                                          


Fight on!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:42 AM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Pete 

He's not that Smart
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 11:56 AM

1954 Oh I though you wrote 1854 


The year VC was borntongue

Reply | Quote
  • chevyblu
  • All-American
  • 1928 posts this site

Posted: 07/21/2014 12:02 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 



Keystone10 wrote: Well UCLA is on top right now.  They're a top 10 program and many pick them to go to the playoff....noidea
Well UCLA Bruins are not on the top right now.  They are ranked by some prior to the season in  (emphasis in) the top 10.  That by no means implies they are #1.  Yes it's true some venturous souls are cautiously predicting that UCLA may make the playoffs.

While other less cautious individuals like me are predicting that USC will beat UCLA and move on to the CCG against either Oregon or Stanford.  My prediction here is we beat Stanford and also squeak out a win against Oregon if we have to play them.

Whether USC moves on to the playoffs or is in the Rose Bowl is entirely up to a committee made up of mostly SEC leaning individuals.  what would you expect out of this scenario....?
Reply | Quote
  • chevyblu
  • All-American
  • 1928 posts this site

Posted: 07/21/2014 12:06 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 



oldmanjay66 wrote:
nominate | report

posted: today 9:13 am

re: utla only 1/2 national championship (1954) 


just curious.  other than 1967 and 1972, do you count the rest of southern cal's championships as only "1/2 championships"?

by the way, it is "their only", not "there only", but i guess good grammar would be too much to expect from a trojan.



bRuins and the NCAA are the only one's that count that way, but like Colin Cowherd say's, people only remember that USC won those games.    USC   32 W's Rose Bowl Games and 17 Rose Bowl Loss's .  What it looks like to me, is that USC has had more Rose Bowl Loss's then FUCLA had total Appearances(13).   THAT's why USC is a storied Program and the bRuins are a fly by night Team.rofl.gifrofl.gif  clown.gif

  

1. Little Things Mean a Lot, Kitty Kallen
2. Wanted, Perry Como
3. Hey There, Rosemary Clooney
4. Sh Boom, Crew Cuts
5. Make Love to Me, Jo Stafford
6. Oh! My Pa-Pa (O mein papa), Eddie Fisher
7. I Get So Lonely, The Four Knights
8. Three Coins in the Fountain, The Four Aces
9. Secret Love, Doris Day
10. Hernando's Hideaway, Archie Bleyer
11. Young At Heart, Frank Sinatra
12. This Ole House, Rosemary Clooney
13. I Need You Now, Eddie Fisher
14. Cross Over the Bridge (Rerecorded), Patti Page
15. The Little Shoemaker, The Gaylords
16. That's Amore, Dean Martin
17. The Happy Wanderer, Frank Weir
18. Answer Me, My Love, Nat King Cole
19. Stranger In Paradise, Tony Bennett
20. If I Give My Heart To You, Doris Day
21. If You Love Me (Really Love Me), Kay Starr
22. Skokiaan, Ralph Marterie
23. Hold My Hand, Don Cornell
24. Changing Partners, Patti Page
25. Papa Loves Mambo, Perry Como
26. Shake Rattle And Roll, Bill Haley & His Comets
27. Rags to Riches, Tony Bennett
28. In the Chapel In the Moonlight, Kitty Kallen
29. Stranger In Paradise, Four Aces
30. Here, Tony Martin
WOW....some great music there oldmanjay.  Those were great years for a lot of reasons.  The world actually had some sanity to it then.  Just look at the music and what it is about and the reason is apparent.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 5:20 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 



oldmanjay66 wrote:
nominate | report

posted: today 9:13 am

re: utla only 1/2 national championship (1954) 


just curious.  other than 1967 and 1972, do you count the rest of southern cal's championships as only "1/2 championships"?

by the way, it is "their only", not "there only", but i guess good grammar would be too much to expect from a trojan.



bRuins and the NCAA are the only one's that count that way, but like Colin Cowherd say's, people only remember that USC won those games.    USC   32 W's Rose Bowl Games and 17 Rose Bowl Loss's .  What it looks like to me, is that USC has had more Rose Bowl Loss's then FUCLA had total Appearances(13).   THAT's why USC is a storied Program and the bRuins are a fly by night Team.rofl.gifrofl.gif  clown.gif

  

1. Little Things Mean a Lot, Kitty Kallen
2. Wanted, Perry Como
3. Hey There, Rosemary Clooney
4. Sh Boom, Crew Cuts
5. Make Love to Me, Jo Stafford
6. Oh! My Pa-Pa (O mein papa), Eddie Fisher
7. I Get So Lonely, The Four Knights
8. Three Coins in the Fountain, The Four Aces
9. Secret Love, Doris Day
10. Hernando's Hideaway, Archie Bleyer
11. Young At Heart, Frank Sinatra
12. This Ole House, Rosemary Clooney
13. I Need You Now, Eddie Fisher
14. Cross Over the Bridge (Rerecorded), Patti Page
15. The Little Shoemaker, The Gaylords
16. That's Amore, Dean Martin
17. The Happy Wanderer, Frank Weir
18. Answer Me, My Love, Nat King Cole
19. Stranger In Paradise, Tony Bennett
20. If I Give My Heart To You, Doris Day
21. If You Love Me (Really Love Me), Kay Starr
22. Skokiaan, Ralph Marterie
23. Hold My Hand, Don Cornell
24. Changing Partners, Patti Page
25. Papa Loves Mambo, Perry Como
26. Shake Rattle And Roll, Bill Haley & His Comets
27. Rags to Riches, Tony Bennett
28. In the Chapel In the Moonlight, Kitty Kallen
29. Stranger In Paradise, Four Aces
30. Here, Tony Martin

Jezzus Christo Jay. Were you really that bored to actually make a list of music that Keystoned wouldn't know about.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 6:48 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Hey Rikc 

When Jay want's to make a point he make's it big time  biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 6:58 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


LOL One11. Yes he does doesn't he.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/21/2014 8:25 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 


Rik, ya got me.


WE ARE SC
Reply | Quote

Posted: 07/22/2014 12:13 PM

Re: UtLa Only 1/2 National Championship (1954) 



BruinNCs wrote: Just curious.  Other than 1967 and 1972, do you count the rest of Southern Cal's championships as only "1/2 championships"?
You make a good point there.  *Most* national championships before the BCS era were shared in one way or another.

The UCLA teams of the early 1950s totally dominated the PAC 8.  The problem was that they played pretty darn poorly against the other good teams from the rest of the country.  (Kind of the exact opposite of the great USC teams.)

UCLA won the PCAA in 1953, then lost the Rose Bowl to Michigan State.

UCLA won the PCAA in 1954, was ineligible for the Rose Bowl, and shared the National Championship with Ohio State.

UCLA won the PCAA in 1955, then lost the Rose Bowl to MIchigan State (again).  The Bruins also lost to Maryland earlier that year.

During the 1950s, the PAC 8 was completely dominated by the BIG 10 and lost very nearly every single matchup.  We will never know who would have won that Rose Bowl that should have been between Ohio State and UCLA, but I personally think that the Buckeyes would have.  Being declared ineligible for the Rose Bowl may be the greatest "win" in UCLA football history.

Last edited 07/22/2014 12:19 PM by qwksnd

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >