Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon?

Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 10:54 PM

Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


Gotta love D-coordinators, they're often such characters.

Anyway, Chud says we'll be a 3-4/4-3 hybrid. And here's Horton saying the only way its gonna be a hybrid is if you're playing golf. I don't get the reference, but contradicting your boss in the press right from the jump is pretty un-filtered. Couple that with his meltdown at not getting the Cardinal HC job, and you got somebody who acts out more than holds back.

Maybe that's a good thing. This guy says he's going 3-4 Steeler style, attack mode and he'll blitz like a madhouse (says AZ blitzed 2nd most in league behind only the Texans). Hopefully his defense is successful, and all idiosyncratic behavior will be forgiven. Rob Ryan was a character, Todd Bowles was pretty animated, but maybe Horton's even more of a the kind of firebreather the new Browns haven't had.

Rah, MFer, rah.
>>> Decleater <<<

Last edited 1/25/2013 11:38 PM by Gameface64

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 10:59 PM

ooooo! I've been wanting to post this here all day. 


(if I can get the damn link to work):

PatMac on Horton:

http://fanmonster.com/?p=4930&...ro-in-cleveland

It's like magic....only real.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 11:37 PM

Everybody loves Raymond 


Synchonicity baby. It also reminded me of one other statement that Horton made, that had he gotten the HC job in AZ that Norv would have been his OC.

Guess Norv loves Ray more than Chud. But Chud got the last laugh.
>>> Decleater <<<
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2013 5:52 AM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 



Gameface64 wrote: Synchonicity baby. It also reminded me of one other statement that Horton made, that had he gotten the HC job in AZ that Norv would have been his OC.

Guess Norv loves Ray more than Chud. But Chud got the last laugh.
Maybe he meant he would've offered the OC job to Turner. I always thought that Norv picked the Browns anyways because besides the friendship withChud, he has his son on the staff. Maybe spend 2 years or so working with his boy and teaching him the OC ropes before retiring.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2013 8:41 AM

Re: ooooo! I've been wanting to post this here all day. 



suzi_q wrote: (if I can get the damn link to work):

PatMac on Horton:

http://fanmonster.com/?p=4930&...ro-in-clevela nd


SD:

Put me in coach I'm ready ...........

The Battle is about to begin

It is our finest hour .....



http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/ch...rchill104_2.mp3

"""""We will fight on the beaches ,
we shall fight on the landing grounds ,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets ,
we shall fight in the Hills ,
We shall never surrender ."""""""



SoulDawg
WAR : OUR TIME HAS COME

Last edited 1/26/2013 1:24 PM by SoulDawg74

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/26/2013 8:42 AM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


Here's what to expect on offense:

[Norv] Turner said some things in his opening press conference that Browns fans want to hear...

 “The biggest thing for me, you want to offensively be a team that is exciting. You want to be a team that the fans love to watch. 

“If you’re going to be that type of team, obviously you have to be able to score points, you have to be able to make explosive plays, big plays, you have to be a team that plays fast, plays hard, plays physical and I think it will show that our guys like to play football,” he said. 

Turner pointed out that he and Chudzinski teamed up to have a potent offense in San Diego.

“That first year (Chudzinski) was with us we were 13-3 and we were a very, very productive offense,” Turner said. “We were in the top five in big plays in the league and we’ve always been very productive in terms of plays over 20 yards. 

“The second year we were together we were first in the league in total offense and again, we were in the top four or five in terms of big plays.” 

 
Here's what to expect on defense:

This guy [Horton] says he's going 3-4 Steeler style, attack mode and he'll blitz like a madhouse (says AZ blitzed 2nd most in league behind only the Texans).

There you have it - the Browns are going for an "explosive" offense looking to be among the league leaders in big plays and total offense, and an attacking defense that blitzes more than anybody.

I don't know how many wins that adds up to, but I can't wait to see this. At least it will be entertaining.

Thank you Mr. Haslem.

Last edited 1/26/2013 8:43 AM by PROSECUTOR

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2013 10:24 AM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


Here's the link to the 620 am phoenix interview .. decide for your self.
 http://arizonasports.com/40/16...red-Norv-Turner
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2013 10:48 AM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 


Yogi,

If you read the link, Horton says that he had Norv hired on a will come basis, and he talked about it in all his interviews.

Glad he's not mad at the Browns for not hiring him and Norv.

Again, not saying this is a bad thing, or a good thing. Just that he is......unusual.

Wonder if Chudzinski picked Horton, or if it was HasBan. Remember Chud seemed to want Pagano (is he employed now?) or Tucker (is he employed now?). HasBan had interviewed Horton, Horton says he was telling potential employers that he could deliver Norv. We know HasBan wanted Turner pretty badly. Which might explain why Horton is comfortable saying sh''t in the press that could be interpreted as embarrassing to his HC.

Maybe Horton is so good that he'll be an HC somewhere soon. He may be the next Rex Ryan. Maybe Chud doesn't care what Horton says to the press, and is quietly confident and secure.

It will only become a problem if things get rough, and Horton starts whispering (or saying out loud) that he would have been the better choice to be HC of the Browns. And based on the how he's acted so far, it wouldn't surprise that that is exactly what he thinks.
>>> Decleater <<<

Last edited 1/26/2013 11:03 AM by Gameface64

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2013 3:38 PM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


I thought I read or heard a stat that AZ's D played against 3 or 4 of the league's top QBs and held them to some incredibly low numbers, including TD:INT and overall rating.  Is there any truth to that?  If so, that can only be a good thing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/26/2013 3:54 PM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


Straight shooter.  We're going 34 and it's gonna work!

With a bit of 43 thrown in.

All defenses do this.
Reply | Quote
  • redright
  • Faithful Best Friend
  • 12848 posts this site

Posted: 1/26/2013 9:11 PM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 


Chud has to be confident and secure. He has Norv and Horton as coordinators Each could be H C candidates. Each is a good choice as a coordinator I like Chud,s confidence.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/29/2013 6:17 PM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 


Chud and Horton holding hands and singing Kumbaya at the press conference. Just a matter of different semantics, that's all.

Which I actually believe because Chud says he watched film of Zona's defense prior to interviewing Horton and thinking this is the kind of defense I want the Browns to play.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/30/2013 9:34 AM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 



PROSECUTOR wrote: Chud and Horton holding hands and singing Kumbaya at the press conference. Just a matter of different semantics, that's all.

Which I actually believe because Chud says he watched film of Zona's defense prior to interviewing Horton and thinking this is the kind of defense I want the Browns to play.
It's essentially the modern Steelers defense but with Arizona personnel.  This isn't rocket science.  They are going to be an attacking defense with a lot of different looks intending to keep the offense off balance. 

Forget the schemes for a bit and recognize that they hired Horton and Chud for the mindset they bring.  Attack.  Attack.  Attack.

Norv they hired because he's supposedly one of the most gifted offensive scripters and playcallers ever in the NFL.  Which is what you need when you're facing at least 13 distinctly different defenses each year and what you need when you have a rookie HC.  They hope that Chud's mindset with Norv's playbook is going to be what wins in this league long term.

Hopefully they're right.  But for the record I don't recall attacking D's working great with high risk attacking O's.  Attacking D's - a lot of movement near the line and safety/corner blitzes - tend to work good with runcentric offenses that even when they're not effective still keep the clock moving and the defense off the field resting. I would wager we'll see more lopsided games then we're used to although hopefully they're lopsided towards the Browns favor more often than not.

Last edited 1/30/2013 9:35 AM by 0tter

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/30/2013 10:23 AM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 


But for the record I don't recall attacking D's working great with high risk attacking O's.  Attacking D's - a lot of movement near the line and safety/corner blitzes - tend to work good with runcentric offenses that even when they're not effective still keep the clock moving and the defense off the field resting.

Turner's record shows that most of his teams' running games improved dramatically the year he arrived. I think both Weeden and Richardson are going to benefit. 

Especially if they sign the best free agent guard out there - maybe that guy from San Diego will follow Norv to Cleveland.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/30/2013 5:21 PM

Re: Everybody loves Raymond 



PROSECUTOR wrote:

Turner's record shows that most of his teams' running games improved dramatically the year he arrived. I think both Weeden and Richardson are going to benefit. 

Especially if they sign the best free agent guard out there - maybe that guy from San Diego will follow Norv to Cleveland.

But Turner has always called/coached a conservative offense.   Even with Dallas they essentially just out talented and out play called their opposition.  I don't recall them being remarkably aggressive. 

Again even assuming Turner is calling the plays in his playbook (and I don't think Chud's said who is calling plays yet) he's not going to be dictating the flow of the offense.   Chud is going to be doing that.   In the real world if Norv is calling plays the scenario is going to go something like up 3 in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes left to play and Chud tells Norv he wants to go vertical.  Norv is going to decide what play sequence he's going to call but it'll be end up with a vertical play.  Maybe that means a quick run followed by a p/a post route.    In SD Norv might have just played it safe and run 3 times. 

Still all subjective until we see how the philosophy meshes on Sundays.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/30/2013 10:31 PM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


When runs his "aggressive" scheme & we start getting toasted for long easy TDs and 21 point losses he's gonna be the most hated man in town. ESP when Lombardi drafts some dooshnozz bustas instead of a CB.

Besides why does a 50 year old man rock a lil bow wow wig?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/31/2013 7:26 AM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 


Ray Horton told the world in his press conference what he is going do do.

He wants to be a head coach.  The way the owners will recognize him as the head coach is on the performance of his players.

He says his players performance is his resume.

So, he will fight to get the free agents and draft choices he needs to build the type of defense Haslam, Chud and he want.  Throw out Banner and Lombardi.

Haslam says he wants a 34 type of Pittsburgh defense and he wants a winning team.  An offensive team without a top defense lose games 35 to 31.

So, Haslam message to Banner and Lombardi is get Ray Horton the players he wants to fix this defense so it becomes the multi-front - aggressive attacking defense.

Watch the free agent acquisitions.  Watch the trade of players to reduce the 43 signature and upgrade the 34 talent.  Watch the 2013 draft.

GR mentioned the first three picks could be defensive.  If they do not want to replace Brandon Weeden, I can se them going three picks being defensive players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/31/2013 9:00 AM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 



Nasdaq wrote: When runs his "aggressive" scheme & we start getting toasted for long easy TDs and 21 point losses he's gonna be the most hated man in town. ESP when Lombardi drafts some dooshnozz bustas instead of a CB.

Besides why does a 50 year old man rock a lil bow wow wig?


He'd say Lil Bow Wow rocks his braids not the other way around. 

I haven't watched many Zona games so I don't know how much that talk translates to reality but it does seem like almost every NFL defense is getting torched on a regular basis.  So why not get torched being aggressive rather than get torched being passive?  Seriously it's gotta be a little more fun to watch.  Particularly in the first quarter and hopefully in the last.

As for Lombardi's picks how much of an influence was he in the Turner pick in '91?  He wasn't promoted to director of college and pro until '92 when he had full responsibility.  Which was a horrendous draft.  They didn't pick a DB in '93 and then grabbed Langham in the first round in '94.   

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/31/2013 9:31 AM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 



0tter wrote:
Nasdaq wrote: When runs his "aggressive" scheme & we start getting toasted for long easy TDs and 21 point losses he's gonna be the most hated man in town. ESP when Lombardi drafts some dooshnozz bustas instead of a CB.

Besides why does a 50 year old man rock a lil bow wow wig?


He'd say Lil Bow Wow rocks his braids not the other way around. 

I haven't watched many Zona games so I don't know how much that talk translates to reality but it does seem like almost every NFL defense is getting torched on a regular basis.  So why not get torched being aggressive rather than get torched being passive?  Seriously it's gotta be a little more fun to watch.  Particularly in the first quarter and hopefully in the last.

As for Lombardi's picks how much of an influence was he in the Turner pick in '91?  He wasn't promoted to director of college and pro until '92 when he had full responsibility.  Which was a horrendous draft.  They didn't pick a DB in '93 and then grabbed Langham in the first round in '94.   

When was it we stopped blaming Belichick for all those picks? What happened to the stories of Belichick throwing things in rage and acting out of panic during the draft?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/31/2013 11:49 AM

Re: Horton: straight shooter or loose cannon? 



Gary Reents wrote:

When was it we stopped blaming Belichick for all those picks? What happened to the stories of Belichick throwing things in rage and acting out of panic during the draft?

Who's we?  Even Belichick claims responsibility for them.  But it's hard to fathom that the guy who Belichick promoted to run the draft doesn't bear some responsibility for 92-95 good and bad.  Even if that responsibility goes to letting Belichick trump him.  R

regardless of who in the room was the deciding factor Lombardi has all but said he will be using essentially the same consensus selection system he was using in '92.   That's what I think is more important. 

Just gotta hope that the draftniks in the room are able to set up a better board they did in 92 so regardless of who's doing to picking they can't make a bad choice.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >