Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Re: Chip Kelly

Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 2:16 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



redright wrote: To the Eagles
Like some us said, Haslam is just a guy. Kelly is who he wanted and he just couldn't close the show, Lurie wanted him and went and got him.

I did not want Kelly, but Haslam did.

Just a guy. With an anchor around his neck.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 2:28 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Gary Reents wrote:
redright wrote: To the Eagles
Like some us said, Haslam is just a guy. Kelly is who he wanted and he just couldn't close the show, Lurie wanted him and went and got him.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ report-chip-kelly-named-head-coach-philadelphia-ea gles-172943124--nfl.html

In addition to Kelly, the Eagles interviewed Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, former Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, former Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick, Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. The Eagles had interest in Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly and Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien, each of whom, like Chip Kelly, decided to remain in college. Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was interviewed, as well, but was not a finalist in Philadelphia and was named the head coach of the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

Yep, sure sounds like Luria stuck to his man and got who he really wanted, and not who he wound up backing up the Brinks truck for after all his other options either bombed out, passed, or headed to San Diego. Ayup.

Last edited 1/16/2013 2:28 PM by DougInParma

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 2:43 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 


You DP got it right too.  Since Gary said it he ain't going to budge regardless of what the facts are.  If he was their one and only THEY should have closed the deal then. But now I'm hearing him say WE should have gone beyond what we were willing to give to get another roll of the dice?

Just listened to ESPN too.  They said they went back to Kelly and had to offer more control.  Like I said.  They were embarrassed in not getting someone and gave more than they wanted to close the deal.  Stupid on their part, smart on ours.  We don't need another Butch Davis, Phil or Mangini with excessive power.

My mother never breast-fed me. She told me she liked me as a friend - Rodney Dangerfield
 

Last edited 1/16/2013 2:43 PM by hamster

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 3:15 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote:
redright wrote: To the Eagles
Like some us said, Haslam is just a guy. Kelly is who he wanted and he just couldn't close the show, Lurie wanted him and went and got him.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ report-chip-kelly-named-head-coach-philadelphia-ea gles-172943124--nfl.html

In addition to Kelly, the Eagles interviewed Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, former Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, former Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick, Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. The Eagles had interest in Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly and Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien, each of whom, like Chip Kelly, decided to remain in college. Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was interviewed, as well, but was not a finalist in Philadelphia and was named the head coach of the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

Yep, sure sounds like Luria stuck to his man and got who he really wanted, and not who he wound up backing up the Brinks truck for after all his other options either bombed out, passed, or headed to San Diego. Ayup.
When the Browns were out there to get Kelly, the Eagles were too. Kelly didn't really want to leave Oregon, and Lurie did his due dilligence, but he ended up with him.

Like I said, I didn't want Kelly. Haslam did. The story that Kelly was just using the NFL to get a bigger contract has been proven wrong. All it took was the right sell job, enough money, and the right situation.

We're told money wasn't an problem for the Browns. So you take your pick of the rest to explain what happened.

Fact is, some here were just wrong. Kelly was NOT using the NFL to up his contract with Oregon. He was not intended to stay with Oregon the whole time.

Last edited 1/16/2013 4:35 PM by Gary Reents

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 3:45 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Gary Reents wrote: 

When the Browns were out there to get Kelly, the Eagles were too. Kelly didn't really want to leave Oregon, and Lurie did his due dilligence, but he ended up with him.
Mike Nolan, Brian Billick, and Brian Kelly are 'due diligence?' Kelly didn't end up with the Eagles. The Eagles ended up with Kelly because the alternative was starting the post-Banner/Reid era with someone even less lukewarm than Rob Chudzinski.

Yes, Haslam 'didn't get his man'. Haslam's man knew what he wanted and was willing to wait until there was a franchise desperate enough to give it to him. We'll just have to wait and see if that's Haslam's anchor or the bullet he dodged.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:09 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Gary Reents wrote:
redright wrote: To the Eagles
Like some us said, Haslam is just a guy. Kelly is who he wanted and he just couldn't close the show, Lurie wanted him and went and got him.

I did not want Kelly, but Haslam did.

Just a guy. With an anchor around his neck.
SD:

There is couldn't sell it , and then there is really couldn't sell it .

We had every advantage over the Iggles in cap space  youth experience at Qb and a hotsy totsy rich owner looking to make a splash .

Kelley crossed himself  threw Holy water in Banners direction said a prayer and jumped in with the Iggles .

I pity them fools they won .

But its so perverse, your point is valid , that we lost the guy Haslem wanted because of Banner , yet because we lost we actually may have won.

Very interesting .


SoulDawg
WAR : OUR TIME HAS COME
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:21 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 


I think Kelly decided this morning he was going
To do an about face and go to the nfl. I really
Think it was this morning or last night.
The guy is a flake.
Had we not hired Chud he may have ran
Back to ys today and blown your Banner theory
Out of the water.

He picked Philly because he needed the
NFL job today. Right now.

He's either in big trouble at oregon or he's
Just a big flake.

Wake me up when we are 10 and 6...

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:25 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote: 

When the Browns were out there to get Kelly, the Eagles were too. Kelly didn't really want to leave Oregon, and Lurie did his due dilligence, but he ended up with him.
Mike Nolan, Brian Billick, and Brian Kelly are 'due diligence?' Kelly didn't end up with the Eagles. The Eagles ended up with Kelly because the alternative was starting the post-Banner/Reid era with someone even less lukewarm than Rob Chudzinski.

Yes, Haslam 'didn't get his man'. Haslam's man knew what he wanted and was willing to wait until there was a franchise desperate enough to give it to him. We'll just have to wait and see if that's Haslam's anchor or the bullet he dodged.
The Browns dodged a bullet. Banner is the anchor. 

I didn't want Kelly. Glad he didn't come. Besides the point. This isn't about who we wanted or didn't want. Its about who Haslam wanted and didn't get. He whiffed on all of his desired guys.

I'm still trying to get people to have a realistic view of Haslam. The initial giggling love affair had him as some unstoppable winning force. He's just a guy. He has yet to show he's any better than any other owner.

And the reports about Banner while here match the reports of him at Philly. He is who he is and there's a fair to middlin chance he's a problem.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:28 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



mistero wrote: I think Kelly decided this morning he was going
To do an about face and go to the nfl. I really
Think it was this morning or last night.
The guy is a flake.
Had we not hired Chud he may have ran
Back to ys today and blown your Banner theory
Out of the water.

He picked Philly because he needed the
NFL job today. Right now.

He's either in big trouble at oregon or he's
Just a big flake.
Ah, but the winner. The guy that can get anything done. The super savvy guy that can put teams together with just the right people because he understands and can influence them....didn't pick up on the fact that Kelly could be wooed away from Oregon. Apparently Lurie never took it personal and just kept hammering away. 

I didn't want the risk Kelly represented, but Lurie wasn't the least bit scared. Apparently Lurie is a winner who won't be denied.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:32 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Gary Reents wrote: 

I'm still trying to get people to have a realistic view of Haslam. The initial giggling love affair had him as some unstoppable winning force. He's just a guy. He has yet to show he's any better than any other owner.

And the reports about Banner while here match the reports of him at Philly. He is who he is and there's a fair to middlin chance he's a problem.
Yes, yes, we know, poor poor maligned Randy.

And if Banner wanting final say kept us from getting Kelly and if the Eagles opened the bank on Kelly to make a splash and throw an F-U to Banner, then, um, that says a lot about who was wearing the adult pants in that org.

Last edited 1/16/2013 4:33 PM by DougInParma

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:44 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote: 

I'm still trying to get people to have a realistic view of Haslam. The initial giggling love affair had him as some unstoppable winning force. He's just a guy. He has yet to show he's any better than any other owner.

And the reports about Banner while here match the reports of him at Philly. He is who he is and there's a fair to middlin chance he's a problem.
Yes, yes, we know, poor poor maligned Randy.

And if Banner wanting final say kept us from getting Kelly and if the Eagles opened the bank on Kelly to make a splash and throw an F-U to Banner, then, um, that says a lot about who was wearing the adult pants in that org.
The make believe stories about Randy are just the flip side of the giddy love affair for Haslam. Fantasy. Not that there's anything wrong with that...anywhere else but here.

As to that last paragraph, your just rationalizing. Browns wanted Kelly bad. So did the Eagles. The Eagles got him, the Browns didn't. Lurie did better than Haslam. Period. End of story.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 4:47 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Gary Reents wrote:
As to that last paragraph, your just rationalizing. Browns wanted Kelly bad. So did the Eagles. The Eagles got him, the Browns didn't. Lurie did better than Haslam. Period. End of story.
Yes, neither team has played a down, we have no inside stories yet, but 'Lurie did better than Haslam'. 

A+++, would serious football discussion again.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 5:02 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote:
As to that last paragraph, your just rationalizing. Browns wanted Kelly bad. So did the Eagles. The Eagles got him, the Browns didn't. Lurie did better than Haslam. Period. End of story.
Yes, neither team has played a down, we have no inside stories yet, but 'Lurie did better than Haslam'. 

A+++, would serious football discussion again.
Did Haslam want Kelley? Yes.

Did Lurie want Kelly? Yes.

Who has Kelly? Lurie.

I feel I'm on pretty solid ground here.
Reply | Quote
  • redright
  • Faithful Best Friend
  • 12707 posts this site

Posted: 1/16/2013 7:38 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 


Gary,

Like I said, I didn't want Kelly. Haslam did.

rr,

Gee Gary, give Haslam credit. It took him a while but he finally became as smart as you and said good-bye to Kelly.  Sure am glad you didn't talk to Lurie. I don't like the eagles much.
Reply | Quote
  • redright
  • Faithful Best Friend
  • 12707 posts this site

Posted: 1/16/2013 7:43 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Gary Reents wrote:
DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote: 

When the Browns were out there to get Kelly, the Eagles were too. Kelly didn't really want to leave Oregon, and Lurie did his due dilligence, but he ended up with him.
Mike Nolan, Brian Billick, and Brian Kelly are 'due diligence?' Kelly didn't end up with the Eagles. The Eagles ended up with Kelly because the alternative was starting the post-Banner/Reid era with someone even less lukewarm than Rob Chudzinski.

Yes, Haslam 'didn't get his man'. Haslam's man knew what he wanted and was willing to wait until there was a franchise desperate enough to give it to him. We'll just have to wait and see if that's Haslam's anchor or the bullet he dodged.
The Browns dodged a bullet. Banner is the anchor. 

I didn't want Kelly. Glad he didn't come. Besides the point. This isn't about who we wanted or didn't want. Its about who Haslam wanted and didn't get. He whiffed on all of his desired guys.

I'm still trying to get people to have a realistic view of Haslam. The initial giggling love affair had him as some unstoppable winning force. He's just a guy. He has yet to show he's any better than any other owner.

And the reports about Banner while here match the reports of him at Philly. He is who he is and there's a fair to middlin chance he's a problem.
Gary, You miss the obvious. Haslam wanted Kelly, but at what price. Kelly wanted more control and more input than Haslam was willing to give. Jim changed his mind. Jim walked away,. good for Jim. good for the Browns.

I was never on the Kelly bandwagon. Glad we didn't get him. Content with Chud. Happy Lurie and the Eagles have the Kelly problem.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/16/2013 8:37 PM

Re: Chip Kelly 


Yer sooooo right too Red.  Haslam said, Haslam saidblah2.  He said "The winner defeats all obstacles". So how does that now mean, 'Do whatever, even if you feel it becomes a bad deal or to the detriment of the club'?  How about the dozen or more other generic statements about wanting to do whatever it takes to win?   Should we hold all those words literally?  All he did was assure his fans that he is determined to bring a winner.  He would do what it takes "EVEN" IF IT TAKES GOING ANOTHER ROUTE WHEN THE ORIGINAL COMES TO A STOP.  Not that he would be stupid or panick when attempting it.  Unlike Holmgren when reaching for TR to quickly and giving up a pick, picking or Weeden to high.   How about Butch taking Winslow or Randy emotionally falling in love over and over giving away the house to get his man.  They didn't let obstacles stop them right?pirate

Kelly was the first choice but JUST as you said Red, "AT what price"?  Both in money and power.  Listening to the NFL network and ESPN all afternoon.  They were laughing that two days ago Kelly was in a recruit's home promising him he would be the coach at Oregon.

They talked about more MONEY and POWER is what the Eagles came back with.  Something they had no intention in giving at first nor SHOULD they have.  That's evident in the fact he left.  Haslam played it right on.  He targeted whom he wanted but according his value and stayed pat.  He didn't panic, overpay or overindulgence with power like ole Randy.   He also STRESSED that Kelly wasn't sure he even wanted to leave the college ranks (which proved true) and that too was a deal breaker.  They wanted someone who wanted them back.  Lane is saying how Holmgen buried himself when flirting with the Cowboys before the game last season with Haslam.  Haslam values loyalty and commitment.  Kelly wasn't willing to give it.  Also, nobody knows how high he was rated above all the others they looked at. Kelly might have been the first choice but hardly the only one. Totally at ease with how it all shook out.  Might it fail? Sure but the approach was solid in all areas so far.

My mother never breast-fed me. She told me she liked me as a friend - Rodney Dangerfield
 

Last edited 1/16/2013 11:19 PM by hamster

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 6:49 AM

Re: Chip Kelly 



redright wrote:
Gary Reents wrote:
DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote: 

When the Browns were out there to get Kelly, the Eagles were too. Kelly didn't really want to leave Oregon, and Lurie did his due dilligence, but he ended up with him.
Mike Nolan, Brian Billick, and Brian Kelly are 'due diligence?' Kelly didn't end up with the Eagles. The Eagles ended up with Kelly because the alternative was starting the post-Banner/Reid era with someone even less lukewarm than Rob Chudzinski.

Yes, Haslam 'didn't get his man'. Haslam's man knew what he wanted and was willing to wait until there was a franchise desperate enough to give it to him. We'll just have to wait and see if that's Haslam's anchor or the bullet he dodged.
The Browns dodged a bullet. Banner is the anchor. 

I didn't want Kelly. Glad he didn't come. Besides the point. This isn't about who we wanted or didn't want. Its about who Haslam wanted and didn't get. He whiffed on all of his desired guys.

I'm still trying to get people to have a realistic view of Haslam. The initial giggling love affair had him as some unstoppable winning force. He's just a guy. He has yet to show he's any better than any other owner.

And the reports about Banner while here match the reports of him at Philly. He is who he is and there's a fair to middlin chance he's a problem.
Gary, You miss the obvious. Haslam wanted Kelly, but at what price. Kelly wanted more control and more input than Haslam was willing to give. Jim changed his mind. Jim walked away,. good for Jim. good for the Browns.

I was never on the Kelly bandwagon. Glad we didn't get him. Content with Chud. Happy Lurie and the Eagles have the Kelly problem.
You ignore information. The Browns left pissed at Kelly. They felt spurned and moved on.

The other thing wrong with your take is you need to substitute the name Banner for Haslam whenever you discuss "control."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:40 AM

Re: Chip Kelly 




---------------------------------------------
--- Gary Reents wrote:


DougInParma wrote:
Gary Reents wrote:
redright wrote: To the Eagles
Like some us said, Haslam is just a guy. Kelly is who he wanted and he just couldn't close the show, Lurie wanted him and went and got him.
sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ report-chip-kelly-named-head-coach-philadelphia-ea gles-172943124--nfl.html

In addition to Kelly, the Eagles interviewed Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, former Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, former Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick, Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. The Eagles had interest in Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly and Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien, each of whom, like Chip Kelly, decided to remain in college. Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy was interviewed, as well, but was not a finalist in Philadelphia and was named the head coach of the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

Yep, sure sounds like Luria stuck to his man and got who he really wanted, and not who he wound up backing up the Brinks truck for after all his other options either bombed out, passed, or headed to San Diego. Ayup.
When the Browns were out there to get Kelly, the Eagles were too. Kelly didn't really want to leave Oregon, and Lurie did his due dilligence, but he ended up with him.

Like I said, I didn't want Kelly. Haslam did. The story that Kelly was just using the NFL to get a bigger contract has been proven wrong. All it took was the right sell job, enough money, and the right situation.

We're told money wasn't an problem for the Browns. So you take your pick of the rest to explain what happened.

Fact is, some here were just wrong. Kelly was NOT using the NFL to up his contract with Oregon. He was not intended to stay with Oregon the whole time.

---------------------------------------------

G, they can't make the distinction. If they can't see it prima facia ur wasting ur time. For chrisssake Doug E Doug just posts a link acknowledging the Iggles determination to look at the world but still obviously working Cheating Chip behind the scenes as evidence to the contrary.

For better or worse to be determined, Philly is in the back seat with their prom queen while Haslam is having excuses made for him. I won't change tune tho. Still glad we have the other 4 letter C word instead.



The irony is it may be happening again at DC. The org is failing to get the guy they want in John Strong but getting a better fit with Radio Raheem & his 4-3 background.

RR did keep the 4-3 in Tampa, didn't he ?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:44 AM

Re: Chip Kelly 




---------------------------------------------
--- Gary Reents wrote:


mistero wrote: I think Kelly decided this morning he was going
To do an about face and go to the nfl. I really
Think it was this morning or last night.
The guy is a flake.
Had we not hired Chud he may have ran
Back to ys today and blown your Banner theory
Out of the water.

He picked Philly because he needed the
NFL job today. Right now.

He's either in big trouble at oregon or he's
Just a big flake.
Ah, but the winner. The guy that can get anything done. The super savvy guy that can put teams together with just the right people because he understands and can influence them....didn't pick up on the fact that Kelly could be wooed away from Oregon. Apparently Lurie never took it personal and just kept hammering away. 

I didn't want the risk Kelly represented, but Lurie wasn't the least bit scared. Apparently Lurie is a winner who won't be denied.

---------------------------------------------
Lurie also fired Banner.

Sayin.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/17/2013 7:49 AM

Re: Chip Kelly 



Nasdaq wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- Gary Reents wrote:


mistero wrote: I think Kelly decided this morning he was going
To do an about face and go to the nfl. I really
Think it was this morning or last night.
The guy is a flake.
Had we not hired Chud he may have ran
Back to ys today and blown your Banner theory
Out of the water.

He picked Philly because he needed the
NFL job today. Right now.

He's either in big trouble at oregon or he's
Just a big flake.
Ah, but the winner. The guy that can get anything done. The super savvy guy that can put teams together with just the right people because he understands and can influence them....didn't pick up on the fact that Kelly could be wooed away from Oregon. Apparently Lurie never took it personal and just kept hammering away. 

I didn't want the risk Kelly represented, but Lurie wasn't the least bit scared. Apparently Lurie is a winner who won't be denied.

---------------------------------------------
Lurie also fired Banner.

Sayin.
Nah. Banner was chaffing under the limitations imposed by Luri that prevented Banner from exhibiting his prowess at talent assessment and organizational control. After years of unceasing and selfless efforts to save the franchise (without just or due appreciation), Banner reluctantly took a position with a new owner James Haslam III after Mr. Haslam pleaded with him for weeks to help him save the Browns. Banner graciously accepted after Haslam genuflected and kissed his ring...although...I hear Haslam slobbered on it and it almost killed the deal.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >