Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Re: Attacking D = Reboot

Posted: 1/25/2013 12:11 PM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 



Gary Reents wrote:

So I don't see Sheard fitting in. He's either going to be asked to get bigger to play 3-4 end, or he's going to be a situational pass rusher and not on the field except in passing situaitons.

Why can't he be asked to get smaller and play OLB?  Kinda a silly bit of logic to only assume that a 34 OLB/DE Tweener can only go one direction.  Didn't Jamir Miller go from 34 OLB under Romeo to 43 DE under Fazio?  Sheared would just be going the other way. 

I'm not saying that Sheared is a right fit and would still draft a pure 34 OLB who can get at the passer and provide good zone coverage but I don't see why you'd limit him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2013 12:50 PM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 


OTTER:

Why can't he be [Sheard] asked to get smaller and play OLB?  Kinda a silly bit of logic to only assume that a 34 OLB/DE Tweener can only go one direction.  Didn't Jamir Miller go from 34 OLB under Romeo to 43 DE under Fazio?  Sheared would just be going the other way.

AA:

Maybe you're thinking of Willie McGinest.  I think Miller played lb almost exclusively.

Have no idea whether Sheard could transition.  He could be a situational 4-3 rusher, but given his salary, probably a more expensive version of Juqua Parker (or, said a la Jason Statham:  "Pahkuh").  But hey, it's not like the Browns have to count their quarters these days.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2013 1:03 PM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 



0tter wrote:
Gary Reents wrote:

So I don't see Sheard fitting in. He's either going to be asked to get bigger to play 3-4 end, or he's going to be a situational pass rusher and not on the field except in passing situaitons.

Why can't he be asked to get smaller and play OLB?  Kinda a silly bit of logic to only assume that a 34 OLB/DE Tweener can only go one direction.  Didn't Jamir Miller go from 34 OLB under Romeo to 43 DE under Fazio?  Sheared would just be going the other way. 

I'm not saying that Sheared is a right fit and would still draft a pure 34 OLB who can get at the passer and provide good zone coverage but I don't see why you'd limit him.
I wonder what his real weight is. I've seen it at 255, 260 and 264. I suspect its more like 270 now.  I suppose you can get him to drop down to the 255 lb range. He's got the athleticism. His 40 time was 4.69  and his vertical leap was 31 inches. WHich puts him about the middle of the 2012 OLB numbers at the combine.

But I don't believe he's played LB of any type in college so he would be pretty lost out there if asked to cover.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2013 1:32 PM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 


I don't think the weight would be a problem.  Quentin Groves played OLB for Horton last year and he's listed at 265 pounds.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us target him as a transitional FA this year, in fact.  Sheard having never played OLB in a 3-4 defense would be a problem, though.  Just from watching him play a bit the past two years, I think Emmanuel Stephens might be a decent developmental OLB pass rusher in an aggressive 3-4.

1/6/04 Rest in peace "Daddy Wags." May perpetual light shine upon you.

"It's alright to have a hitch in your swing, but when you have a flaw in your hitch, you're in trouble." - Leon Wagner

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2013 1:53 PM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 



Gary Reents wrote:
I wonder what his real weight is. I've seen it at 255, 260 and 264. I suspect its more like 270 now.  I suppose you can get him to drop down to the 255 lb range. He's got the athleticism. His 40 time was 4.69  and his vertical leap was 31 inches. WHich puts him about the middle of the 2012 OLB numbers at the combine.

But I don't believe he's played LB of any type in college so he would be pretty lost out there if asked to cover.
Oh yeah.  The experience part would make me think it's not a project worth taking on.  Not really arguing that point.  Although if we were I'd mention that it's arguably just as difficult to learn 2gap technique as a 34 DE as it is to learn coverage and responsibilities of a 34 OLB. 

Frankly I wasn't that high on him as a 43 DE.   I think he's a system DE who benefitted a lot from Taylor's presence.  I think they can find a guy with a few years experience who is more predictable as a 34 OLB regardless of who they draft.  And they should be drafting someone regardless of who they get in FA.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/25/2013 9:48 PM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 



Aardvark wrote: OTTER:

Why can't he be [Sheard] asked to get smaller and play OLB?  Kinda a silly bit of logic to only assume that a 34 OLB/DE Tweener can only go one direction.  Didn't Jamir Miller go from 34 OLB under Romeo to 43 DE under Fazio?  Sheared would just be going the other way.

AA:

Maybe you're thinking of Willie McGinest.  I think Miller played lb almost exclusively.

Have no idea whether Sheard could transition.  He could be a situational 4-3 rusher, but given his salary, probably a more expensive version of Juqua Parker (or, said a la Jason Statham:  "Pahkuh").  But hey, it's not like the Browns have to count their quarters these days.

Miller was OLB in the 40 front Butch brought over in '01.

I think you meant Kenard Lang--a 4-3 DE under Butch who was asked to drop 40 lbs. and play OLB in RAC's two-gap 3-4 in '05.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/30/2013 8:45 AM

Re: Attacking D = Reboot 




---------------------------------------------
--- Gary Reents wrote:


0tter wrote:
Gary Reents wrote:

So I don't see Sheard fitting in. He's either going to be asked to get bigger to play 3-4 end, or he's going to be a situational pass rusher and not on the field except in passing situaitons.

Why can't he be asked to get smaller and play OLB?  Kinda a silly bit of logic to only assume that a 34 OLB/DE Tweener can only go one direction.  Didn't Jamir Miller go from 34 OLB under Romeo to 43 DE under Fazio?  Sheared would just be going the other way. 

I'm not saying that Sheared is a right fit and would still draft a pure 34 OLB who can get at the passer and provide good zone coverage but I don't see why you'd limit him.
I wonder what his real weight is. I've seen it at 255, 260 and 264. I suspect its more like 270 now.  I suppose you can get him to drop down to the 255 lb range. He's got the athleticism. His 40 time was 4.69  and his vertical leap was 31 inches. WHich puts him about the middle of the 2012 OLB numbers at the combine.

But I don't believe he's played LB of any type in college so he would be pretty lost out there if asked to cover.

---------------------------------------------

No no. It's January & the reboot is in start up so Sheard will seemlessly transition. Until September whe he looks like Rahim Abdullah....
Reply | Quote