Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 60  Next >

Re: Why michigan will never be great

Posted: 1/5/2013 8:01 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


Lol at Michigan fans pretending they are going to be anything but our whopping boy during the Urban era.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/5/2013 8:29 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 



CinciBuck3 wrote:
TTUN beat a bad Va Tech team that pretty much own them in the game.

Neither team deserved to be in the Sugar Bowl

A very good but not great Alabama team absolutely embarrassed TTUN on a netrual field

TTUN is the 4th or 5th best program in the Big 10 right now

---------------------------------------------
--- BMW84 wrote:

Michigan has brought in some nice young defensive players. I think they will be good again sooner than later, which as a PSU fan pains me to say. Remember that Hoke did just win 11 games and a BCS bowl last year.

---------------------------------------------
Delaney had to lobby to not have Boise State in that BCS game because that's what the matchup was gonna be. What team gets absolutely blown out in their' conference championship game and still gets a BCS bid? VA Tech getting into a BCS game was the head scratcher of the selection show that year
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/5/2013 11:02 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


Michigan will never be great because they don't want to be.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/5/2013 11:07 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 



MichiganMan68 wrote:
brutus79 wrote: Good for a laugh.
SOJ has always been the biggest joke.  Big fish in a brain dead pond at GBW.  Jis cute little picture with Barwis, and the country club is over and domination with it was good for non stop laughter.
I am in another thread over there.  Good, that means you get under this skin for posting the truth.
Hurts Michigan fans to admit with 1/2 a national title in almost 70 years and no Big Ten title since 2003, with embarrassing losses to Toledo and App State thrown in, they are irrelevant.
Travel and get off these boards, no fans bring up Michigan or Hoke as elite, except here because delusional culture dimiwts from GBW come over here.
OSU and Meyer, different.  College fans seen what OSU did with Tress, knew we hit a bump in the rock, and we got a rock star coach in Meyer.
Michigan is irrelevant as it comes.
If Michigan is irrevelant, why are Ohio recruits picking Michigan over OSU? Let's see, we landed Kyle Kalis, Ben Gedeon, Dymonte Thomas, Michael McCray--all guys that Meyer wanted.
Two of those guys committed before Meyer was the coach and one didn't get an offer until he had already committed to you guys.  Not saying you aren't getting some kids we wanted but that isn't the best example.

Arguing that a proposition is true because belief in it has good consequences, or that it is false because belief in it has bad consequences is often an irrelevancy.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/5/2013 11:33 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 




MichiganMan68 wrote: .If Michigan is irrevelant, why are Ohio recruits picking Michigan over OSU? Let's see, we landed Kyle Kalis, Ben Gedeon, Dymonte Thomas, Michael McCray--all guys that Meyer wanted.
First of all, there are kids in Ohio who grow up UM fans for various reasons... most mental.  They are going to go to UM if given half an opportunity.  So, yes OSU may recruit them and lose to UM.  It is not hurting OSU's recruiting.  What OSU may "lose" to UM in these cases, Urban is going to pick up elsewhere in Ohio and nationally, where UM is going to struggle to recruit.

Secondly, UM has always been loaded with Ohio guys.  The Michigan HIgh School football programs just do not put out the athletes, despite the population.  Even with great Ohio players like Woodson and Howard going to UM, it took a guy not from Ohio to turn the rivalry into a one-sided affair during the 90's- a guy named Cooper.  Once Ohio guys got put back in place (Tressel, Meyer... like Hayes, Brown, etc) OSU has held the upper handin the post ww1 era.   

It is not a sign that Michigan is back and relevant.  Heck, early in JT's career, UM picked up a lot of studs... and JT's top players proved to be less-touted recruits like A. J. Hawk who turned into superstars.  Troy Smith was an afterthought and went 3-0 as a starter vs UM, winning 2 of those games single-handedly it seemed.

It is not just talent and "recruits."  Most folks here can give lists of teams over the years with highly ranked recruiting classes who underwhelmed and under-performed. 

It's your system, your coaching, and your understanding of the situation.  Hoke is 1-1 against OSU... which is better than RR and even Carr's % NOW.  Yet, he needed a home field  and and a late turnover to beat the worst OSU team since 1987... maybe the most incompentent team in the since the early 60's or earlier... by 6 points in the last couple minutes.  This year's game was close, too.  But it was an 11 point turnaround with virtually the same players on both sides fromt he previous year and OSU in its 1st year of a new regime, and UM in its 2nd- when things should have been "easier" or at least stabler. 

Now, you have big recruiting classes (beating OSU for the first time in a decade and OSU on a bowl ban may have helped)... I guarantee OSU is not weeping over any of the guys you are bragging about.  The game may be the tight slugfests we were used to under Bruce and Hayes, and even Tressel until the end of the Carr and the RR era... or, Meyer is going to out-coach, out-speed, and out think you guys.  Here's a clue... this year... you had the mo, the push, your big-play guys made some big plays... then OSU shut you done and OSU won.  OSU adjusted, UM couldn't.

Same thing vs. South Carolina. 

Is your incoming talent going to suddenly make the play-calling better?  The situations smarter?

Nope.
"Wherever man burns books, he will, in the end, also burn people."  Heinrich Heine 1820
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/6/2013 2:24 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


when I ran the acronym generator I got:

Hunger
Obsession
Kumquat
Exasperated

or 

Humiliation
Opposing
Ketchup
Estranged

http://www.acronym-maker.com/generate/?w=HOKE& wl=0

brutus24 wrote: This is why scUM will not be good with H = hype
                            O = over
                            K = knowledge
                            E = endures
They think they know what to do to improve their program, where OSU knows what to do to improve their program and they showed it by bringing in Urban.

You're a simple coward! A simple coward! And when you pee, that yellow that comes out, I bet you smile at that because it's yellow, your favorite color!"
- Gary Busey on TTUN fans.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 7:51 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


Delaney, in fact lobbied against Boise State, he did not want Michigan losing to Boise State, and they would have.
Va Tech grossly out played them, like 400 total yards to 170, nimrod Beamer gave that game away with bonehead red zone play calling and a fake punt that blew up in his face late.
Between Kellen Moore slicing UofM up like a hot knife thru butter and Peterson toying with Flounder Hoke game planning, Boise would have beat Michigan easily.
1/2 a national title in close to 70 years and one Big Ten title in a bad Big Ten since 2003 sums up how irrelevant Michigan is.

OhiozFinezt wrote:
CinciBuck3 wrote:
TTUN beat a bad Va Tech team that pretty much own them in the game.

Neither team deserved to be in the Sugar Bowl

A very good but not great Alabama team absolutely embarrassed TTUN on a netrual field

TTUN is the 4th or 5th best program in the Big 10 right now

---------------------------------------------
--- BMW84 wrote:

Michigan has brought in some nice young defensive players. I think they will be good again sooner than later, which as a PSU fan pains me to say. Remember that Hoke did just win 11 games and a BCS bowl last year.

---------------------------------------------
Delaney had to lobby to not have Boise State in that BCS game because that's what the matchup was gonna be. What team gets absolutely blown out in their' conference championship game and still gets a BCS bid? VA Tech getting into a BCS game was the head scratcher of the selection show that year
Install BS deflectors for GBW posters.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 9:06 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


I agree. Michigan is no where close to being where they will be 2 and 3 seasons from now. Only going to continue to get better with better talent.

Gonna be fun.
Go Blue!
MichiganMan68 wrote:
HokeIsFat wrote: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019& t=11128501


WTF this guy has a very disappointing season and they grade his performance an A? If this was Ohio State we would grade him a C at best. Like Krenzel says when we stop demanding excellence we become wisconsin. Maybe michigan has already become wisconsin.


What Urban did was an A. Hoke is a C (not just in cup size).
You guys in are in for a rude awakening on a November 2013 day in Ann Arbor.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 9:08 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


OSU went 11-1 in 2010. Don't shovel that worst team ever crap in 2011.......nobody is buying it.
asdodge wrote:

MichiganMan68 wrote: .If Michigan is irrevelant, why are Ohio recruits picking Michigan over OSU? Let's see, we landed Kyle Kalis, Ben Gedeon, Dymonte Thomas, Michael McCray--all guys that Meyer wanted.
First of all, there are kids in Ohio who grow up UM fans for various reasons... most mental.  They are going to go to UM if given half an opportunity.  So, yes OSU may recruit them and lose to UM.  It is not hurting OSU's recruiting.  What OSU may "lose" to UM in these cases, Urban is going to pick up elsewhere in Ohio and nationally, where UM is going to struggle to recruit.

Secondly, UM has always been loaded with Ohio guys.  The Michigan HIgh School football programs just do not put out the athletes, despite the population.  Even with great Ohio players like Woodson and Howard going to UM, it took a guy not from Ohio to turn the rivalry into a one-sided affair during the 90's- a guy named Cooper.  Once Ohio guys got put back in place (Tressel, Meyer... like Hayes, Brown, etc) OSU has held the upper handin the post ww1 era.   

It is not a sign that Michigan is back and relevant.  Heck, early in JT's career, UM picked up a lot of studs... and JT's top players proved to be less-touted recruits like A. J. Hawk who turned into superstars.  Troy Smith was an afterthought and went 3-0 as a starter vs UM, winning 2 of those games single-handedly it seemed.

It is not just talent and "recruits."  Most folks here can give lists of teams over the years with highly ranked recruiting classes who underwhelmed and under-performed. 

It's your system, your coaching, and your understanding of the situation.  Hoke is 1-1 against OSU... which is better than RR and even Carr's % NOW.  Yet, he needed a home field  and and a late turnover to beat the worst OSU team since 1987... maybe the most incompentent team in the since the early 60's or earlier... by 6 points in the last couple minutes.  This year's game was close, too.  But it was an 11 point turnaround with virtually the same players on both sides fromt he previous year and OSU in its 1st year of a new regime, and UM in its 2nd- when things should have been "easier" or at least stabler. 

Now, you have big recruiting classes (beating OSU for the first time in a decade and OSU on a bowl ban may have helped)... I guarantee OSU is not weeping over any of the guys you are bragging about.  The game may be the tight slugfests we were used to under Bruce and Hayes, and even Tressel until the end of the Carr and the RR era... or, Meyer is going to out-coach, out-speed, and out think you guys.  Here's a clue... this year... you had the mo, the push, your big-play guys made some big plays... then OSU shut you done and OSU won.  OSU adjusted, UM couldn't.

Same thing vs. South Carolina. 

Is your incoming talent going to suddenly make the play-calling better?  The situations smarter?

Nope.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/6/2013 9:20 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 



brutus79 wrote: Delaney, in fact lobbied against Boise State, he did not want Michigan losing to Boise State, and they would have.
Va Tech grossly out played them, like 400 total yards to 170, nimrod Beamer gave that game away with bonehead red zone play calling and a fake punt that blew up in his face late.
Between Kellen Moore slicing UofM up like a hot knife thru butter and Peterson toying with Flounder Hoke game planning, Boise would have beat Michigan easily.
1/2 a national title in close to 70 years and one Big Ten title in a bad Big Ten since 2003 sums up how irrelevant Michigan is.

OhiozFinezt wrote:
CinciBuck3 wrote:
TTUN beat a bad Va Tech team that pretty much own them in the game.

Neither team deserved to be in the Sugar Bowl

A very good but not great Alabama team absolutely embarrassed TTUN on a netrual field

TTUN is the 4th or 5th best program in the Big 10 right now

---------------------------------------------
--- BMW84 wrote:

Michigan has brought in some nice young defensive players. I think they will be good again sooner than later, which as a PSU fan pains me to say. Remember that Hoke did just win 11 games and a BCS bowl last year.

---------------------------------------------
Delaney had to lobby to not have Boise State in that BCS game because that's what the matchup was gonna be. What team gets absolutely blown out in their' conference championship game and still gets a BCS bid? VA Tech getting into a BCS game was the head scratcher of the selection show that year
Yeah it's widely known. Boise State fans were pissed about it, I remember
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 9:46 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


How much talent did they lose from that team?  They were also starting a true freshman at quarterback.  I swear you act like Ohio State had 22 starters back.  They lost 9 guys to graduation and injury that started on defense in 2010.  On offense they were down 4 guys to graduation or suspension including their All American QB and their best offensive lineman, they also had three more guys that played 50% or less of the games.  That is 13 of 22 starters gone who did not play, and 3 more lost for a minimum of 50% of the season.  That is 16 starters who were missing from 2010 plus the starting kicker.  So please think before you post from now on. 
WalkerNCH wrote: OSU went 11-1 in 2010. Don't shovel that worst team ever crap in 2011.......nobody is buying it.
asdodge wrote:

MichiganMan68 wrote: .If Michigan is irrevelant, why are Ohio recruits picking Michigan over OSU? Let's see, we landed Kyle Kalis, Ben Gedeon, Dymonte Thomas, Michael McCray--all guys that Meyer wanted.
First of all, there are kids in Ohio who grow up UM fans for various reasons... most mental.  They are going to go to UM if given half an opportunity.  So, yes OSU may recruit them and lose to UM.  It is not hurting OSU's recruiting.  What OSU may "lose" to UM in these cases, Urban is going to pick up elsewhere in Ohio and nationally, where UM is going to struggle to recruit.

Secondly, UM has always been loaded with Ohio guys.  The Michigan HIgh School football programs just do not put out the athletes, despite the population.  Even with great Ohio players like Woodson and Howard going to UM, it took a guy not from Ohio to turn the rivalry into a one-sided affair during the 90's- a guy named Cooper.  Once Ohio guys got put back in place (Tressel, Meyer... like Hayes, Brown, etc) OSU has held the upper handin the post ww1 era.   

It is not a sign that Michigan is back and relevant.  Heck, early in JT's career, UM picked up a lot of studs... and JT's top players proved to be less-touted recruits like A. J. Hawk who turned into superstars.  Troy Smith was an afterthought and went 3-0 as a starter vs UM, winning 2 of those games single-handedly it seemed.

It is not just talent and "recruits."  Most folks here can give lists of teams over the years with highly ranked recruiting classes who underwhelmed and under-performed. 

It's your system, your coaching, and your understanding of the situation.  Hoke is 1-1 against OSU... which is better than RR and even Carr's % NOW.  Yet, he needed a home field  and and a late turnover to beat the worst OSU team since 1987... maybe the most incompentent team in the since the early 60's or earlier... by 6 points in the last couple minutes.  This year's game was close, too.  But it was an 11 point turnaround with virtually the same players on both sides fromt he previous year and OSU in its 1st year of a new regime, and UM in its 2nd- when things should have been "easier" or at least stabler. 

Now, you have big recruiting classes (beating OSU for the first time in a decade and OSU on a bowl ban may have helped)... I guarantee OSU is not weeping over any of the guys you are bragging about.  The game may be the tight slugfests we were used to under Bruce and Hayes, and even Tressel until the end of the Carr and the RR era... or, Meyer is going to out-coach, out-speed, and out think you guys.  Here's a clue... this year... you had the mo, the push, your big-play guys made some big plays... then OSU shut you done and OSU won.  OSU adjusted, UM couldn't.

Same thing vs. South Carolina. 

Is your incoming talent going to suddenly make the play-calling better?  The situations smarter?

Nope.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 10:32 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


I don't think there is any doubt that TTUN is bringing verty good players right now.

The question is whether Hoke can keep that momentum in the face of the run that tOSU and ND will be on.

How many 5 star kids will be choosing TTUN after another dismal season next year?

I see the gap continuing to widen between TTUN and the elite Midwest teams until TTUN gets a excellent head coach. If TTUN doesn't react, PSU and Wiskey will be blowing their doors off as well. Expect Dantonio to do well against TTUN as well


---------------------------------------------
--- WalkerNCH wrote:

I agree. Michigan is no where close to being where they will be 2 and 3 seasons from now. Only going to continue to get better with better talent.

Gonna be fun.
Go Blue!
MichiganMan68 wrote:
HokeIsFat wrote: mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019& t=11128501


WTF this guy has a very disappointing season and they grade his performance an A? If this was Ohio State we would grade him a C at best. Like Krenzel says when we stop demanding excellence we become wisconsin. Maybe michigan has already become wisconsin.


What Urban did was an A. Hoke is a C (not just in cup size).
You guys in are in for a rude awakening on a November 2013 day in Ann Arbor.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 10:37 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


The question is whether Hoke can do something with his players. His defense will probably be good but his offense is going to be relying a ton on if Sugar Shane pans out. He wasn't able to use Denard as well as DickRod and Gardner wasn't good against good defenses. The only capable receiver he's recruited so far has been Funchess. Plus his recruiting is only going to get worse from here if he keeps going 8-5. His first two years have been off blind hype and an 11-2 season. He can't sell that anymore.
CinciBuck3 wrote: I don't think there is any doubt that TTUN is bringing verty good players right now.

The question is whether Hoke can keep that momentum in the face of the run that tOSU and ND will be on.

How many 5 star kids will be choosing TTUN after another dismal season next year?

I see the gap continuing to widen between TTUN and the elite Midwest teams until TTUN gets a excellent head coach. If TTUN doesn't react, PSU and Wiskey will be blowing their doors off as well. Expect Dantonio to do well against TTUN as well


---------------------------------------------
--- WalkerNCH wrote:

I agree. Michigan is no where close to being where they will be 2 and 3 seasons from now. Only going to continue to get better with better talent.

Gonna be fun.
Go Blue!
MichiganMan68 wrote:
HokeIsFat wrote: mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019& t=11128501


WTF this guy has a very disappointing season and they grade his performance an A? If this was Ohio State we would grade him a C at best. Like Krenzel says when we stop demanding excellence we become wisconsin. Maybe michigan has already become wisconsin.


What Urban did was an A. Hoke is a C (not just in cup size).
You guys in are in for a rude awakening on a November 2013 day in Ann Arbor.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 10:43 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


Are they bringing in top talent?  I watched all the AA games and the only two players that stood out was Hurst in the Semper Fi,Poggi was solid in the UA, and Green who is not committed.

I can also list guys who looked like hot garbage...Shane Morris.  That kid is a 3 star at best.  The rest of their prospects were invisible. Especially at the skill positions.

That's the biggest problem for them...Deveon Smith is not A-Train...York is not Desmond Howard.  Are they bringing in good linemen...sure. Any dominant DL will trump a OL...

I think the lack of skill position players is gonna bite them in the arse. The struck out in 2012 and now in 2013...2014 is not looking all that promising. The talent in Ohio is down and in the Midwest in general. This is what is gonna kill Michigan. Hoke is the opposite of RR...Hes gonna slow their team down and not recruit skill players.
CinciBuck3 wrote: I don't think there is any doubt that TTUN is bringing verty good players right now.

The question is whether Hoke can keep that momentum in the face of the run that tOSU and ND will be on.

How many 5 star kids will be choosing TTUN after another dismal season next year?

I see the gap continuing to widen between TTUN and the elite Midwest teams until TTUN gets a excellent head coach. If TTUN doesn't react, PSU and Wiskey will be blowing their doors off as well. Expect Dantonio to do well against TTUN as well


---------------------------------------------
--- WalkerNCH wrote:

I agree. Michigan is no where close to being where they will be 2 and 3 seasons from now. Only going to continue to get better with better talent.

Gonna be fun.
Go Blue!
MichiganMan68 wrote:
HokeIsFat wrote: mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019& t=11128501


WTF this guy has a very disappointing season and they grade his performance an A? If this was Ohio State we would grade him a C at best. Like Krenzel says when we stop demanding excellence we become wisconsin. Maybe michigan has already become wisconsin.


What Urban did was an A. Hoke is a C (not just in cup size).
You guys in are in for a rude awakening on a November 2013 day in Ann Arbor.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 11:05 AM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 



HokeIsFat wrote: The question is whether Hoke can do something with his players. His defense will probably be good but his offense is going to be relying a ton on if Sugar Shane pans out. He wasn't able to use Denard as well as DickRod and Gardner wasn't good against good defenses. The only capable receiver he's recruited so far has been Funchess. Plus his recruiting is only going to get worse from here if he keeps going 8-5. His first two years have been off blind hype and an 11-2 season. He can't sell that anymore.
CinciBuck3 wrote: I don't think there is any doubt that TTUN is bringing verty good players right now.

The question is whether Hoke can keep that momentum in the face of the run that tOSU and ND will be on.

How many 5 star kids will be choosing TTUN after another dismal season next year?

I see the gap continuing to widen between TTUN and the elite Midwest teams until TTUN gets a excellent head coach. If TTUN doesn't react, PSU and Wiskey will be blowing their doors off as well. Expect Dantonio to do well against TTUN as well


---------------------------------------------
--- WalkerNCH wrote:

I agree. Michigan is no where close to being where they will be 2 and 3 seasons from now. Only going to continue to get better with better talent.

Gonna be fun.
Go Blue!
MichiganMan68 wrote:
HokeIsFat wrote: mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019& t=11128501


WTF this guy has a very disappointing season and they grade his performance an A? If this was Ohio State we would grade him a C at best. Like Krenzel says when we stop demanding excellence we become wisconsin. Maybe michigan has already become wisconsin.


What Urban did was an A. Hoke is a C (not just in cup size).
You guys in are in for a rude awakening on a November 2013 day in Ann Arbor.


---------------------------------------------
If OSU beats Michigan again next season at Michigan, Michigan's recruiting in Ohio will taper off considerably.  One win per decade in this rivalry won't cut it.  Meyer will never put up the kind of fence that Tressel did because he recruits better nationally than Tressel did; with that said, OSU is more than capable of recruiting nationally, whereas Hoke has to rely on the Midwest alone.  Hoke could realistically be waiting on OSU and ND scraps for that midwestern talent moving forward. 

OSU went undefeated in a weak B1G a with a completely new offensive staff.  I think any loss in conference next year is unlikely to happen, especially with coaching continuity and the emphasis on competition and S&C that's in place.  Michigan will eventually can Hoke, again looking for a candidate that can compete with Ohio State.... and they're likely to come up short again with another "C" list candidate.  Their "Michigan men" want no part of this rivalry anymore.  Firing Carr turned out to be the biggest mistake in their program's history.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/6/2013 2:28 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


No, only people with brains and football knowledge are buying it.  Don't speak for the rest of humanity- you aren't qualified.
WalkerNCH wrote: OSU went 11-1 in 2010. Don't shovel that worst team ever crap in 2011.......nobody is buying it.
asdodge wrote:

MichiganMan68 wrote: .If Michigan is irrevelant, why are Ohio recruits picking Michigan over OSU? Let's see, we landed Kyle Kalis, Ben Gedeon, Dymonte Thomas, Michael McCray--all guys that Meyer wanted.
First of all, there are kids in Ohio who grow up UM fans for various reasons... most mental.  They are going to go to UM if given half an opportunity.  So, yes OSU may recruit them and lose to UM.  It is not hurting OSU's recruiting.  What OSU may "lose" to UM in these cases, Urban is going to pick up elsewhere in Ohio and nationally, where UM is going to struggle to recruit.

Secondly, UM has always been loaded with Ohio guys.  The Michigan HIgh School football programs just do not put out the athletes, despite the population.  Even with great Ohio players like Woodson and Howard going to UM, it took a guy not from Ohio to turn the rivalry into a one-sided affair during the 90's- a guy named Cooper.  Once Ohio guys got put back in place (Tressel, Meyer... like Hayes, Brown, etc) OSU has held the upper handin the post ww1 era.   

It is not a sign that Michigan is back and relevant.  Heck, early in JT's career, UM picked up a lot of studs... and JT's top players proved to be less-touted recruits like A. J. Hawk who turned into superstars.  Troy Smith was an afterthought and went 3-0 as a starter vs UM, winning 2 of those games single-handedly it seemed.

It is not just talent and "recruits."  Most folks here can give lists of teams over the years with highly ranked recruiting classes who underwhelmed and under-performed. 

It's your system, your coaching, and your understanding of the situation.  Hoke is 1-1 against OSU... which is better than RR and even Carr's % NOW.  Yet, he needed a home field  and and a late turnover to beat the worst OSU team since 1987... maybe the most incompentent team in the since the early 60's or earlier... by 6 points in the last couple minutes.  This year's game was close, too.  But it was an 11 point turnaround with virtually the same players on both sides fromt he previous year and OSU in its 1st year of a new regime, and UM in its 2nd- when things should have been "easier" or at least stabler. 

Now, you have big recruiting classes (beating OSU for the first time in a decade and OSU on a bowl ban may have helped)... I guarantee OSU is not weeping over any of the guys you are bragging about.  The game may be the tight slugfests we were used to under Bruce and Hayes, and even Tressel until the end of the Carr and the RR era... or, Meyer is going to out-coach, out-speed, and out think you guys.  Here's a clue... this year... you had the mo, the push, your big-play guys made some big plays... then OSU shut you done and OSU won.  OSU adjusted, UM couldn't.

Same thing vs. South Carolina. 

Is your incoming talent going to suddenly make the play-calling better?  The situations smarter?

Nope.
"Wherever man burns books, he will, in the end, also burn people."  Heinrich Heine 1820
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/6/2013 2:37 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


Like it or not, Hoke was put in a bit of a hole by the former offensive structure. I don't think he's handled it fantastically, but with Denard at the helm, there wasn't a ton to do but wait it out. The problem is he didn't get a top notch QB last year that would be able to step in either this year or next and start using an offense he planned to use.

This wouldn't be as big of a problem if they had a great RB coming in or some big WRs that could help out, but they don't. Michigan won't really be back until they can find a good QB and commit to a style on offense.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/6/2013 2:55 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


I don't think anyone will claim Hoke inherited a great team.  However, he is not the super-genius UM fans are making him out to be and that the inrush of talent for a couple of recruiting classes while OSU was in trouble is going to make UM the class or even 2nd-best team in the conference. 

Hoke has been erratic at his previous stops... good seasons, bad seasons.  JT was a proven winner at YSU.  Meyer was a winner at all his stops.   

Like it or not, Hoke was put in a bit of a hole by the former offensive structure. I don't think he's handled it fantastically, but with Denard at the helm, there wasn't a ton to do but wait it out. The problem is he didn't get a top notch QB last year that would be able to step in either this year or next and start using an offense he planned to use.

This wouldn't be as big of a problem if they had a great RB coming in or some big WRs that could help out, but they don't. Michigan won't really be back until they can find a good QB and commit to a style on offense.

"Wherever man burns books, he will, in the end, also burn people."  Heinrich Heine 1820
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/6/2013 2:59 PM

Re: Why michigan will never be great 


Here's the thing with Hoke/Michigan. I think most people feel that Mattison is the reason for the "turnaround" of the program. Whether that's true, I have no idea. But I don't think people view Hoke as a sure thing to..

A. Get Michigan back to their historical best.
B. Keep them there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/6/2013 3:24 PM

RE: Why michigan will never be great 


Dave Brandon is a very hands on and demanding athletic director. He expects Michigan to compete regularly for championships in both football and basketball and he has stated he will not settle for less. This is a completely different attitude than Bill Martin, who was in charge for most of the previous decade, and was a bean counter who was more concerned about profits than wins.

 

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 60  Next >