Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 10  Next >

Re: Question for SEC fans...

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:02 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


Always thought myself, Saban did a very good job at MSU.. tOSU and Michigan were very strong and the domers were pretty good. MSU was on probation when he took over a complete rebuilding job... The story we hear down south is that Saban asked for improvements and MSU turned him down. He interviewed LSU, LSU did not interview him, Saban told them what it would take for him to take the LSU job and the LSU admin,to their credit, gave him everything he wanted and then some and it paid off. MSU would not do, what LSU would do, that is just a fact. MSU and much like WISKY played the game cheap and it burned them, big time... he took over LSU it was a terrible program a dumpster fire of a place and today LSU is one of the most powerful schools in the country and has been that way for a decade and alot credit has to go to saban. Just look what he has done at alabama, unreal by any standard...
BigDroppa wrote:
What happened to Saban at Mich State? Was he completely embarrassed too,

---------------------------------------------
--- Depriest wrote:

Yes urban got completely embarassed of the SEC culture and he knew Saban and Miles and whoever steppped un next would be there kicking FL butt for the near future. Great that Urban is at tOSU now but come on he left the fight in the SEC. He has no competition at all in B1G.
34011 wrote:
rbltc27 wrote: Always wondered why Florida's classes, when they and SC battled it for the top class a few years back, had 30 someting to SC's 22 or so.  SC had a way higher star average, yet Florida's classes were ranked higher.

Urban became embarrassed of the SEC culture.  It's not him, thus, he got the heck out
Urban embarrassed by the SEC culture, you have to be shetting me, man. It is to early in the morning to read this complete BS... Urbie the texter and Urbie the bump rule, dude.. Come on and Urbie the Friday Night Light's guy, Urbie I feel your pain with recruits guy, that guy was sick of the SEC culture the one where he became the most aggressive recruiter in the SEC.. He stole more commits from other then any guy in the SEC.. He was the first guy I know in the SEC who used early enrollee's and such a high rate. Please, urbie left the SEC because he was getting caught up with and he knew it. Plus, Saban had his number and he took what he thought was his best team into the SEC title game against bama and got smoked and caused him to have a mental breakdown... Everybody in SEC country knows Urbie lost it and most he is still not the same coach.. Don't rewrite history, Urbie was not a nice guy on the recruiting trail, he was as cutthroat as they come and still is....


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:11 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



34011 wrote:
TroyKidd wrote: So tired of this subject. 
I don't care how many ships are handed out/outstanding (as long as it adds up to less than 86 outstanding to only 85 players over the entire year... as long as a ship doesn't somehow get shared for 6 months).


Is signing an LOI what the 25 rule is refering to or isn't it?


The interpretation of almost ALL schools is that that IS what the rule is refering to.  Yet some schools just ignore the "rule" as they see fit and the NCAA lets them get away with it for some reason.
No the ncaa rule is you cannot have more than 25 kids count toward one recruiting class. It does not metion LOI's.. LOI's are their to protect the school because after the LOI is signed the recruit can no longer be recruited by another school for that academic year..I am sure LOI protects the player in some cases but it really protects the school... Your last statement is completely false. you will schools in every conf sign over 25 players to LOI's go check other years, having recruits sign over 25 LOI's in not that big of a deal.. USC had 30 LOI's signed just a few years ago...
See, you are hung up on LOI's, the NCAA is hung on the actual number of kids who enter school that count toward the 85 limit... Fact is a school could go out and sign 25 recruits to LOI's and not one could get into school, not one player would count against the 85 Limit.. You want to interept the rule a certain way but the ncaa does not see it the way you do and that upset's you.. Why it is such a great debate...

Then I'm at a loss to explain why most schools don't sign more than 25... 30, 40 LOI every year, and force other schools to make promises to other unsigned kids, since it has nothing to do with whether or not a guy will ever get a scholarship or even attend school.  It would be pretty easy for USC to sign guys and not qualify/enrol them just to keep them away from other schools with lessor admittance standards.

I suppose they are unable to get that many kids.. you know... cause that would mean they very well might not HAVE a scholarship??

Saban HAS to be telling ALL these kids they'll get a scholarship some day.  How he manages to do that... (I know... you'll respond to only this part of the post with some unprovable drivel about how Saban DOESN'T promise anything)


I'll tell you one thing IF USC started signing over 25 a year EVERY year, the rest of the Pac would make sure somebody did something to put a stop to it.


FIGHT ON!!!

(How DO you get a picture in the sig line anyway?)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:27 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



34011 wrote: Always thought myself, Saban did a very good job at MSU.. tOSU and Michigan were very strong and the domers were pretty good. MSU was on probation when he took over a complete rebuilding job... The story we hear down south is that Saban asked for improvements and MSU turned him down. He interviewed LSU, LSU did not interview him, Saban told them what it would take for him to take the LSU job and the LSU admin,to their credit, gave him everything he wanted and then some and it paid off. MSU would not do, what LSU would do, that is just a fact. MSU and much like WISKY played the game cheap and it burned them, big time... he took over LSU it was a terrible program a dumpster fire of a place and today LSU is one of the most powerful schools in the country and has been that way for a decade and alot credit has to go to saban. Just look what he has done at alabama, unreal by any standard...
BigDroppa wrote:
What happened to Saban at Mich State? Was he completely embarrassed too,

---------------------------------------------
--- Depriest wrote:

Yes urban got completely embarassed of the SEC culture and he knew Saban and Miles and whoever steppped un next would be there kicking FL butt for the near future. Great that Urban is at tOSU now but come on he left the fight in the SEC. He has no competition at all in B1G.
34011 wrote:
rbltc27 wrote: Always wondered why Florida's classes, when they and SC battled it for the top class a few years back, had 30 someting to SC's 22 or so.  SC had a way higher star average, yet Florida's classes were ranked higher.

Urban became embarrassed of the SEC culture.  It's not him, thus, he got the heck out
Urban embarrassed by the SEC culture, you have to be shetting me, man. It is to early in the morning to read this complete BS... Urbie the texter and Urbie the bump rule, dude.. Come on and Urbie the Friday Night Light's guy, Urbie I feel your pain with recruits guy, that guy was sick of the SEC culture the one where he became the most aggressive recruiter in the SEC.. He stole more commits from other then any guy in the SEC.. He was the first guy I know in the SEC who used early enrollee's and such a high rate. Please, urbie left the SEC because he was getting caught up with and he knew it. Plus, Saban had his number and he took what he thought was his best team into the SEC title game against bama and got smoked and caused him to have a mental breakdown... Everybody in SEC country knows Urbie lost it and most he is still not the same coach.. Don't rewrite history, Urbie was not a nice guy on the recruiting trail, he was as cutthroat as they come and still is....


---------------------------------------------

+1 it is so obvious.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:36 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



TroyKidd wrote:
34011 wrote:
TroyKidd wrote: So tired of this subject. 
I don't care how many ships are handed out/outstanding (as long as it adds up to less than 86 outstanding to only 85 players over the entire year... as long as a ship doesn't somehow get shared for 6 months).


Is signing an LOI what the 25 rule is refering to or isn't it?


The interpretation of almost ALL schools is that that IS what the rule is refering to.  Yet some schools just ignore the "rule" as they see fit and the NCAA lets them get away with it for some reason.
No the ncaa rule is you cannot have more than 25 kids count toward one recruiting class. It does not metion LOI's.. LOI's are their to protect the school because after the LOI is signed the recruit can no longer be recruited by another school for that academic year..I am sure LOI protects the player in some cases but it really protects the school... Your last statement is completely false. you will schools in every conf sign over 25 players to LOI's go check other years, having recruits sign over 25 LOI's in not that big of a deal.. USC had 30 LOI's signed just a few years ago...
See, you are hung up on LOI's, the NCAA is hung on the actual number of kids who enter school that count toward the 85 limit... Fact is a school could go out and sign 25 recruits to LOI's and not one could get into school, not one player would count against the 85 Limit.. You want to interept the rule a certain way but the ncaa does not see it the way you do and that upset's you.. Why it is such a great debate...

Then I'm at a loss to explain why most schools don't sign more than 25... 30, 40 LOI every year, and force other schools to make promises to other unsigned kids, since it has nothing to do with whether or not a guy will ever get a scholarship or even attend school.  It would be pretty easy for USC to sign guys and not qualify/enrol them just to keep them away from other schools with lessor admittance standards.Well, the truth is the ncaa does have rule that you can only sign 28 players to a LOI per recruiting class, but you can still back count to the last year class..That was the old SEC rule, but now the SEC has a 25 LOI rule per class but schools still can backcount to last year...

I suppose they are unable to get that many kids.. you know... cause that would mean they very well might not HAVE a scholarship??

Saban HAS to be telling ALL these kids they'll get a scholarship some day.  How he manages to do that... (I know... you'll respond to only this part of the post with some unprovable drivel about how Saban DOESN'T promise anything) Pretty simple no one who has ever signed a LOI that has had the grades to enter school has always received a full ride schollie from bama..

I'll tell you one thing IF USC started signing over 25 a year EVERY year, the rest of the Pac would make sure somebody did something to put a stop to it.Saban does not have 25 kids sign  a LOI every year anyway. again it is about players entering school. What if bama or texas or a/m or whoever, have two or three great players in their sights but their grades are on the edge so you offer them a schollie and on signing day they sign a LOI, now august comes around, all three fail to make the grades to enter school so they head off to Juco or Prep school, no way they would count against your schollie numbers.. Somehow you are coounting them as entering scholl and going to class. What is so hard to understand that just because a player signs a LOI, that he may not have the grades to get in.. Most recruits are still in high school taking classes when they sign a LOI, still trying to get the grades to go to college.... Seems pretty simple to me... Your hate is blinding you from the facts, no one would care if USCw signed 25 players a year to LOI, they would care if you got 25 new players a year into school, then they would be worried...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:45 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 




---------------------------------------------
--- Depriest wrote:


34011 wrote: Always thought myself, Saban did a very good job at MSU.. tOSU and Michigan were very strong and the domers were pretty good. MSU was on probation when he took over a complete rebuilding job... The story we hear down south is that Saban asked for improvements and MSU turned him down. He interviewed LSU, LSU did not interview him, Saban told them what it would take for him to take the LSU job and the LSU admin,to their credit, gave him everything he wanted and then some and it paid off. MSU would not do, what LSU would do, that is just a fact. MSU and much like WISKY played the game cheap and it burned them, big time... he took over LSU it was a terrible program a dumpster fire of a place and today LSU is one of the most powerful schools in the country and has been that way for a decade and alot credit has to go to saban. Just look what he has done at alabama, unreal by any standard...
BigDroppa wrote:
What happened to Saban at Mich State? Was he completely embarrassed too,

---------------------------------------------
--- Depriest wrote:

Yes urban got completely embarassed of the SEC culture and he knew Saban and Miles and whoever steppped un next would be there kicking FL butt for the near future. Great that Urban is at tOSU now but come on he left the fight in the SEC. He has no competition at all in B1G.
34011 wrote:
rbltc27 wrote: Always wondered why Florida's classes, when they and SC battled it for the top class a few years back, had 30 someting to SC's 22 or so.  SC had a way higher star average, yet Florida's classes were ranked higher.

Urban became embarrassed of the SEC culture.  It's not him, thus, he got the heck out
Urban embarrassed by the SEC culture, you have to be shetting me, man. It is to early in the morning to read this complete BS... Urbie the texter and Urbie the bump rule, dude.. Come on and Urbie the Friday Night Light's guy, Urbie I feel your pain with recruits guy, that guy was sick of the SEC culture the one where he became the most aggressive recruiter in the SEC.. He stole more commits from other then any guy in the SEC.. He was the first guy I know in the SEC who used early enrollee's and such a high rate. Please, urbie left the SEC because he was getting caught up with and he knew it. Plus, Saban had his number and he took what he thought was his best team into the SEC title game against bama and got smoked and caused him to have a mental breakdown... Everybody in SEC country knows Urbie lost it and most he is still not the same coach.. Don't rewrite history, Urbie was not a nice guy on the recruiting trail, he was as cutthroat as they come and still is....


---------------------------------------------

+1 it is so obvious.

---------------------------------------------
Really or is that Urban Myth?

If only the Spartans would have thrown a few million dollars at Nick Saban in the late 90s. Instead, Nick Saban took more money and what proved to be a better chance to win a national title at LSU.
From the December 13, 1999 Sports Illustrated...
It didn't take Nick Saban long to decide he'd rather be the kingpin in Louisiana than continue to play second fiddle in Michigan
Who says there are no secrets anymore? LSU lured Michigan State coach Nick Saban out of East Lansing before anyone there knew he wanted to leave. Saban, 48, bolted for money ($6 million over five years, after earning about $700,000 this season) and so he could coach a team that would be tops on its own turf. "At Michigan State, we were never Number 1 [in the state]," Saban said last week. "That was always Michigan. It was always, 'UM this and that.' " LSU is the only sheaux, as Cajuns might spell it, in Louisiana.
"We don't have a Michigan and Michigan State," says LSU athletic director Joe Dean. "We're both. That's what attracted Nick."

Last edited 12/9/2012 5:06 PM by BigDroppa

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 5:01 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/co...+nli/index.html

Here's the answer from an NCAA sight

The LOI is a BINDING legal agreement by the schoold to provide a scholarship

The bold portion is a huge recruiting value in and of itself

About the National Letter of Intent (NLI)

The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 627 Division I and Division II participating institutions.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program.

By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. An important provision of the National Letter of Intent program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs a Letter of Intent. This prohibition requires participating institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once a National Letter of Intent is signed with another institution.

The National Letter of Intent has many advantages to both prospective student-athletes and participating educational institutions:

  • Once a National Letter of Intent is signed, prospective student-athletes are no longer subject to further recruiting contacts and calls.

  • Student-athletes are assured of an athletics scholarship for a minimum of one full academic year.

  • By emphasizing a commitment to an educational institution, not particular coaches or teams, the program focuses on a prospective student-athlete's educational objectives.



    Here is another official NCAA link

    http://fs.ncaa.org/docs/region...of%20Intent.pdf


    "annual signing limit of 25 on the number of psas who may sign

    an nli or athletics aid agreement from december 1 through

    May 31."



    Here is Wikki on the subject

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

    "Oversigning can occur in two ways. First, if a school signs a number of NLI that may bring their total number of counters above the NCAA limit of 85. Second would be to sign more than 25 NLI during the period between National Signing Day and May 31."

 



Hummm looks like you're only supposed to sign 25 

I've said it before... this subject, though much talked about, got NO traction until Kiffin and USC signed 30 one year.  All of a sudden the SEC started "enacting stiffer signing rules" 



FIGHT ON!!!

(How DO you get a picture in the sig line anyway?)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 8:22 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


There are legit reasons for signing more than 25.

I hate all over generalizations.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 10:26 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



cincydawg4 wrote: There are legit reasons for signing more than 25.

I agree

The rule says 25


FIGHT ON!!!

(How DO you get a picture in the sig line anyway?)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 10:31 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


Actually the SEC rules on this are more stringent...
TroyKidd wrote: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/co...+nli/index.html

Here's the answer from an NCAA sight

The LOI is a BINDING legal agreement by the schoold to provide a scholarship

The bold portion is a huge recruiting value in and of itself

About the National Letter of Intent (NLI)

The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 627 Division I and Division II participating institutions.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program.

By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. An important provision of the National Letter of Intent program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs a Letter of Intent. This prohibition requires participating institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once a National Letter of Intent is signed with another institution.

The National Letter of Intent has many advantages to both prospective student-athletes and participating educational institutions:

  • Once a National Letter of Intent is signed, prospective student-athletes are no longer subject to further recruiting contacts and calls.

  • Student-athletes are assured of an athletics scholarship for a minimum of one full academic year.

  • By emphasizing a commitment to an educational institution, not particular coaches or teams, the program focuses on a prospective student-athlete's educational objectives.



    Here is another official NCAA link

    http://fs.ncaa.org/docs/region...of%20Intent.pdf


    "annual signing limit of 25 on the number of psas who may sign

    an nli or athletics aid agreement from december 1 through

    May 31."



    Here is Wikki on the subject

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

    "Oversigning can occur in two ways. First, if a school signs a number of NLI that may bring their total number of counters above the NCAA limit of 85. Second would be to sign more than 25 NLI during the period between National Signing Day and May 31."

 



Hummm looks like you're only supposed to sign 25 

I've said it before... this subject, though much talked about, got NO traction until Kiffin and USC signed 30 one year.  All of a sudden the SEC started "enacting stiffer signing rules" 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 12:26 AM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


Shhhhhh.. Don't tell them that,please.. They might actually wonder why the big ten has a bunch of shetty teams and piss poor coaching..
1984gator wrote: Actually the SEC rules on this are more stringent...
TroyKidd wrote: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/co...+nli/index.html

Here's the answer from an NCAA sight

The LOI is a BINDING legal agreement by the schoold to provide a scholarship

The bold portion is a huge recruiting value in and of itself

About the National Letter of Intent (NLI)

The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 627 Division I and Division II participating institutions.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program.

By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules. An important provision of the National Letter of Intent program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs a Letter of Intent. This prohibition requires participating institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once a National Letter of Intent is signed with another institution.

The National Letter of Intent has many advantages to both prospective student-athletes and participating educational institutions:

  • Once a National Letter of Intent is signed, prospective student-athletes are no longer subject to further recruiting contacts and calls.

  • Student-athletes are assured of an athletics scholarship for a minimum of one full academic year.

  • By emphasizing a commitment to an educational institution, not particular coaches or teams, the program focuses on a prospective student-athlete's educational objectives.



    Here is another official NCAA link

    http://fs.ncaa.org/docs/region...of%20Intent.pdf


    "annual signing limit of 25 on the number of psas who may sign

    an nli or athletics aid agreement from december 1 through

    May 31."



    Here is Wikki on the subject

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

    "Oversigning can occur in two ways. First, if a school signs a number of NLI that may bring their total number of counters above the NCAA limit of 85. Second would be to sign more than 25 NLI during the period between National Signing Day and May 31."

 



Hummm looks like you're only supposed to sign 25 

I've said it before... this subject, though much talked about, got NO traction until Kiffin and USC signed 30 one year.  All of a sudden the SEC started "enacting stiffer signing rules" 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 12:53 AM

RE: Question for SEC fans... 


Quick clarification on A&M: yes, Sumlin signed 19 last year, but 3 of them were mid-termers, and so counted towards the previous class. One the remaining 16 failed to qualify (don't know if that matters or not). So the Aggies look to be able to count 9-10 back to last year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 2:14 AM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



34011 wrote:
rbltc27 wrote: Always wondered why Florida's classes, when they and SC battled it for the top class a few years back, had 30 someting to SC's 22 or so.  SC had a way higher star average, yet Florida's classes were ranked higher.

Urban became embarrassed of the SEC culture.  It's not him, thus, he got the heck out
Urban embarrassed by the SEC culture, you have to be shetting me, man. It is to early in the morning to read this complete BS... Urbie the texter and Urbie the bump rule, dude.. Come on and Urbie the Friday Night Light's guy, Urbie I feel your pain with recruits guy, that guy was sick of the SEC culture the one where he became the most aggressive recruiter in the SEC.. He stole more commits from other then any guy in the SEC.. He was the first guy I know in the SEC who used early enrollee's and such a high rate. Please, urbie left the SEC because he was getting caught up with and he knew it. Plus, Saban had his number and he took what he thought was his best team into the SEC title game against bama and got smoked and caused him to have a mental breakdown... Everybody in SEC country knows Urbie lost it and most he is still not the same coach.. Don't rewrite history, Urbie was not a nice guy on the recruiting trail, he was as cutthroat as they come and still is....
He just took an average team undefeated this year.  I don't think he lost it....saying he ran off because of Saban makes me laugh.  Go sit under Sabe's desk and wait for your next blow session. Get off our board and off your high horse crimson turd.
“There's nOthing that cleanses your soul like getting the Hell kIcked Out of you.”

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 1:57 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


So this is it

Quote from NCAA site

"By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is ADMITTED to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules."


Bama enrolls 25 guys for say... 2010  That's ENROLLS not signs... in other words ALL their ships for that year are used.  Not even Bama guys will disagree with this.

Then the next year they "early enroll" another 3,4 whatever over 25 because those ships became "available".  Well they aren't available.  They were used by some kid that ENROLLED LAST YEAR for the FULL ACADEMIC YEAR.  Once the kid enrolls, the ship is gone for that FULL YEAR!  If he flunks out or has off the field issues that subsequently cause him to lose his ship, the ship is still gone for the full year.

Bama is using some ships twice, unless they've ENROLLED no more than 25 in any given year (since in Bama's case they've been fully enrolled each year for 4+ years now).


USC, by the way, did NOT use any ships twice.  ALL the "early enrolls" we gave out were ships that were NOT used at all the previous year.


FIGHT ON!!!

(How DO you get a picture in the sig line anyway?)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 2:08 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


I'd guess if Alabama did something so obviously against the rules, they'd be caught.

A scholarship can be revoked, that language notwithstanding for a variety of reasons.  Clearly, one way around this is the medical scholarship route, which does free up room.

I hate all over generalizations.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 2:09 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


As with any contract, an excerpt may suggest one thing which is superceded by another excerpt or portion of the document.

I hate all over generalizations.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 2:58 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



TroyKidd wrote: So this is it

Quote from NCAA site

"By signing a National Letter of Intent, a prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the designated college or university for one academic year. Pursuant to the terms of the National Letter of Intent program, participating institutions agree to provide athletics financial aid to the student-athlete, provided he/she is ADMITTED to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules."

Bama enrolls 25 guys for say... 2010  That's ENROLLS not signs... in other words ALL their ships for that year are used.  Not even Bama guys will disagree with this. I agree, as long it that class and no backcounters, I agree

Then the next year they "early enroll" another 3,4 whatever over 25 because those ships became "available".  Well they aren't available.  They were used by some kid that ENROLLED LAST YEAR for the FULL ACADEMIC YEAR.  Once the kid enrolls, the ship is gone for that FULL YEAR!  If he flunks out or has off the field issues that subsequently cause him to lose his ship, the ship is still gone for the full year. Well, that is not really true, you can early erollee and count them toward the 2011 class, depending that you have enough mid year grads. if you have four grads in Jan. that year then you can Early Enrolle four players toward the 11 class, would you not agree, so bama is not double counting schollies that is just crazy, there plenty of ways to work the numbers. tOSU lost ten players before signing day, they were able to use those schollies was tOSU double counting shollie's know... Also you seem to leave out that if a player leave's the team to another school, med schollie, or just gives up football or break team rules or anything but flunking out and his grades are in order that schollie can be used right then and there, seems you left out alot to try and make a point.... Kiffin must be wearing off on you.

Bama is using some ships twice, unless they've ENROLLED no more than 25 in any given year (since in Bama's case they've been fully enrolled each year for 4+ years now). Bama has not been fully enrolled, we are two below the limit this year, now of course we are full because we gave schollies to walk ons, but we are really two below the limit. Bama counting ship twice is complete BS.. Come'on troy,, you are better than this... So are you saying bama has what 90 kids on schollie right now or something, you are making no sense at all


USC, by the way, did NOT use any ships twice.  ALL the "early enrolls" we gave out were ships that were NOT used at all the previous year. How are schollies given to walk on's at most schools walk ons are awarded schollies that schollies players lost or gave up, from grades, behavior issues, or injury. Would you not agree or USC walk ons given schollies before even recruits, I doubt that...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 3:07 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



cincydawg4 wrote: I'd guess if Alabama did something so obviously against the rules, they'd be caught.

A scholarship can be revoked, that language notwithstanding for a variety of reasons.  Clearly, one way around this is the medical scholarship route, which does free up room.
Don't fall for this, if any player leaves a team, for any reason and their grades are in order you can use that schollie. bama has not broken any signing rules, do you really think Urban Meyer,Les Miles,Auburn, or any other school in the SEC would them get away with it, complete crazy talk and makes no sense... I think bama has lost four players for flunking out since saban has been at bama. He usually get's rid of them before they flunk out, truth be known, if you don't go to class you are gone at bama, for just this reason.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 5:33 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 


Dawgs found 10 Extra thugs that can fit in,  so they are back counting them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze9FrbEBp9k

Plus they will have to kick some off after the holidays,  Its not called ThugU for a joke.

34 should be the number - 9 back counters for 2011 and 25 for 2012.

That isn't over signing,  its called roster mgt.  Course Richt wouldn't know, he just is doing it because he screwed the pouch so bad.
RoseBowlBucks wrote: And it has to do with your favorite topic... oversigning.

As I look at the Scout recruiting rankings I see both A&M and Georgia have 30+ verbals.  I know they are just verbals but how many will they actually be able to sign?  Not sure when the SEC oversigning rules go into effect and what loopholes are available.

BTW, I didn't start this thread to get into an oversigning debate (because we will never agree), I am just trying to get an answer to my specific question.

Thanks.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face

FOREVER.

G. Orwell

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 6:28 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



cincydawg4 wrote: I'd guess if Alabama did something so obviously against the rules, they'd be caught. There's caught and then there's paying the price

A scholarship can be revoked, that language notwithstanding for a variety of reasons.  Clearly, one way around this is the medical scholarship route, which does free up room.

 

Sure, it can be taken away for, as you say, a variety of reasons. 

The question is can it then be re-given in the same academic year?  Which is what you are doing when you early enroll when you had previously been full.

Like that Texas reciever Bama is after, Massington  The kid wants to enrol now because he needs medical re-hab on his knee.  We have no room for him at SC as all this year's ships are used.  Since Bama was full they should have no room for him to early enrol either.


If a kid loses their ship mid year they better be paying for the amount used to date or that is a de facto payment to the kid.  Course there's probably Pell grants, student loans or alum to cover that... nobody tracks former players... except for USC's players banghead



At SC any available ships that are given are given to our walk-ons at the end of the year.  The receiving player doesn't expect it.



FIGHT ON!!!

(How DO you get a picture in the sig line anyway?)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 8:06 PM

Re: Question for SEC fans... 



TroyKidd wrote:
cincydawg4 wrote: I'd guess if Alabama did something so obviously against the rules, they'd be caught. There's caught and then there's paying the price

A scholarship can be revoked, that language notwithstanding for a variety of reasons.  Clearly, one way around this is the medical scholarship route, which does free up room.

 

Sure, it can be taken away for, as you say, a variety of reasons. 

The question is can it then be re-given in the same academic year?  Which is what you are doing when you early enroll when you had previously been full.

Like that Texas reciever Bama is after, Massington  The kid wants to enrol now because he needs medical re-hab on his knee.  We have no room for him at SC as all this year's ships are used.  Since Bama was full they should have no room for him to early enrol either. Bama is not full, we had two players not make it last year which put us two below the schollie limit.. Plus if we have enough Jan. grades on the team we can also use their schollies, to bring in players. What you are saying is not true and you are making stuff up, bama is not the only trying to sign him either...
If a kid loses their ship mid year they better be paying for the amount used to date or that is a de facto payment to the kid.  Course there's probably Pell grants, student loans or alum to cover that... nobody tracks former players... except for USC's players banghead  Your lack of knowledge of recruiting, is amazing. Say a player went off schollie and continued to play he would still count toward the 85 limit, if he played in games, I guess he could stay around and play on the scout team if he wanted but I doubt anyone would do that but I guess some could..
At SC any available ships that are given are given to our walk-ons at the end of the year.  The receiving player doesn't expect it. i bet reggie bush put a dent on the walk on schollie program...

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 10  Next >