Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 9  Next >

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:12 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



buckeyemark wrote: I think it helps playing in your own region because it increases the odds that you have played in that stadium before.

In 1996 Arizona State beat UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Pac 12 teams are familiar with the Rose Bowl. SEC teams are familiar with the Super Dome. Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc... are familiar with Jerry World.

I think there is a psychological element too. When Ohio State had LSU down 10-0 in the Super Dome the Tigers didn't panic.

So, familiarity and staying calm are important in bowl games.

Big 10 is true road warriors in virtually every bowl game.
cincydawg4 wrote: Stipulating that it is an advantage, I'm asking how many points do you think it is worth?

Bear in mind that home field advantage in college football during a season is 3-5 points, generally speaking.  That is playing in front of a crowd that is likely 85-90% friendly fans who are trying to make noise and alter the play of the opponent.

I'm just asking how many points do you think it is for Georgia to play Nebraska in Orlando for Georgia's side.  Why do you think that offers an advantage?  Shorter plane flight?  More fans in attendance?  Is it one point?
road warriors - 82 yards!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:22 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



HermFontenot86 wrote:

No outdoor, cold-weather bowl game has ever survived more than a few years. Why do you think that is?

If I'm a CFB player I would rather play my bowl game in SoCal, Florida or Arizona than in the North, full stop. Even if it supposedly gives a home-field advantage to the opponent (which I don't buy, fwiw.)

A bowl game is a reward for a successful season. I don't consider freezing my balls off in 20-degree weather to be any kind of reward.

Yea and that's probably fen' why you couldn't make it in the pros.
Big fen' pussie
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:30 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



NewOrleansBuckeye wrote:

Yea and that's probably fen' why you couldn't make it in the pros.
Big fen' pussie
You're right, only pussies would rather go to Florida in January than to Green Bay, Wisconsin. rolleyes

You know what pussies do? Whine and make excuses for why they lose football games.

frownIt's not fair that we have to play southern teams in Florida. Wah....frown

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:31 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


They had played in at least one Sugar Bowl v. Notre Dame, possibly others, and they had played Tulane there before as well.

Pac 12 teams play UCLA @ Rose Bowl all of the time.

Teams playing at Miami play on Orange Bowl field.

Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc... play in Jerry World.

Even if it's only once a year, or once every two years it's still an advantage over those who have never played there, and are traveling thousands of miles to boot.
cincydawg4 wrote: I'm not sure college teams play in bowl stadia very often, the Peach Bowl is an exception.

I doubt any of those LSU players had ever played in the Superdome before, I could be wrong, they might play HS games there for playoffs.

I still ask how many points this is worth.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:35 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Why do you SEC homers always go to extremes and say Green Bay?

Big 10 fans would be more than happy with St. Louis, Indianapolis, New York City, Washington D.C., Baltimore, etc...

I remember watching Wisconsin play Miami in northern Florida and the temps were in the 40s and Miami players were huddled around sideline heaters with long sleeves!


HermFontenot86 wrote:
NewOrleansBuckeye wrote:

Yea and that's probably fen' why you couldn't make it in the pros.
Big fen' pussie
You're right, only pussies would rather go to Florida in January than to Green Bay, Wisconsin. rolleyes

You know what pussies do? Whine and make excuses for why they lose football games.

frownIt's not fair that we have to play southern teams in Florida. Wah....frown
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:39 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


1.) I'm not an SEC homer.

2.) Lambeau Field was brought up in this thread.
buckeyemark wrote: Why do you SEC homers always go to extremes and say Green Bay?

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:42 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


So, were other cities!

No one wants a bowl game in Green Bay. However, there are other northern cities that could be considered - St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, New York City, Baltimore, Washington D.C.
HermFontenot86 wrote: 1.) I'm not an SEC homer.

2.) Lambeau Field was brought up in this thread.
buckeyemark wrote: Why do you SEC homers always go to extremes and say Green Bay?
Reply | Quote
  • Zman32
  • All-Conference
  • 4992 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 9:12 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


So clear this up. Because people would rather be in the south in the winter makes it fair that all the bowls are played in warm weather? What bullsh!t. If we played every game at home I'm sure our record would be better..actually I'd guarantee our record would be better. For a NC we played LSU in their home..just how "fair" is that? Go on about your records when you play the bowls in your front yard. You obviously think you need the advantage. It isn't about the fans, it is about the money so they let the southern teams have home field and the rest of the world isn't supposed to notice.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 9:15 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


How is playing in a stadium that may be familiar an advantage? Football fields are the same dimensions no matter the stadium.  OSU has played better against Penn State at Penn state in the last 5 years than they have against Penn State at home. 

Baseball you could have an argument. 

Thousands of miles? I could buy that argument if they didn't get out to the bowl site a week before the actual game and if they took a bus to get there...not at most a 5 hour plane ride.

Could you imagine if Brett Bielema blamed his rosebowl loss last year on having to fly farther than oregon a week before the game? eekeekeek

Would you tell Coach Urb that one of the reasons he beat Oklahoma for a NC is that he played in Florida and thus was a nice advantage for him. Personally I think the reason was coaching (game planning and in-game) and talent executing the coaching.

And you mentioned the South/West has a monopoly on the recruits as they want to head there. Well yea, a lot of the talent and population of the US is in those areas....Texas, Cali, and Florida are the biggest states for recruiting. Why would an elite recruit from those who is less likely to have exposure to Big Ten want to go to Wisconsin over say USC, Bama, Florida etc. 

Do you also find it unfair that OSU, Mich, ND have a monopoly on the elite recruits in the midwest versus than say Purdue?  Better facilities, more money flowing in, better coaching staffs, more prestige, prime-time games, better showcase.  I don't find that unfair at all. Ohio state has earned that. Purdue should work to get better. 
buckeyemark wrote: They had played in at least one Sugar Bowl v. Notre Dame, possibly others, and they had played Tulane there before as well.

Pac 12 teams play UCLA @ Rose Bowl all of the time.

Teams playing at Miami play on Orange Bowl field.

Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc... play in Jerry World.

Even if it's only once a year, or once every two years it's still an advantage over those who have never played there, and are traveling thousands of miles to boot.
cincydawg4 wrote: I'm not sure college teams play in bowl stadia very often, the Peach Bowl is an exception.

I doubt any of those LSU players had ever played in the Superdome before, I could be wrong, they might play HS games there for playoffs.

I still ask how many points this is worth.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 10:19 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I guess I disagree.

I don't think there is any home field advantage here at all.

There could be a FEW more fans in the stands, but it would be NOTHING like playing a major team in its home stadium, not even remotely.

In any event, right or wrong, the bowls are going to stay where they are.  

The COTTON BOWL?  Give me a break.

Hodor.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 10:21 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


You go into the Super Dome, or the Rose Bowl for the first time and tell me it's no worse than having played there before.

Your example of Ohio State @ Penn State is not valid because Ohio State plays @ Penn State every two years so they are familiar with the stadium.

Take Ohio State winning Fiesta Bowl v. Miami, Kansas State, and Notre Dame in old stadium, but getting crushed by Florida, and losing to Texas in the new stadium.

BUT, as I mentioned familiarity is just one aspect that favors SEC, Pac 12, and Big 12 teams over Big 10 teams in bowl games. Travel, impact on normal routine, etc... are greater when you have to travel much farther.

It's easy to say these other conferences don't have an advantage when Big 10 doesn't have any bowl games in their region to prove that true or false.
oldnacl22 wrote: How is playing in a stadium that may be familiar an advantage? Football fields are the same dimensions no matter the stadium.  OSU has played better against Penn State at Penn state in the last 5 years than they have against Penn State at home. 

Baseball you could have an argument. 

Thousands of miles? I could buy that argument if they didn't get out to the bowl site a week before the actual game and if they took a bus to get there...not at most a 5 hour plane ride.

Could you imagine if Brett Bielema blamed his rosebowl loss last year on having to fly farther than oregon a week before the game? eekeekeek

Would you tell Coach Urb that one of the reasons he beat Oklahoma for a NC is that he played in Florida and thus was a nice advantage for him. Personally I think the reason was coaching (game planning and in-game) and talent executing the coaching.

And you mentioned the South/West has a monopoly on the recruits as they want to head there. Well yea, a lot of the talent and population of the US is in those areas....Texas, Cali, and Florida are the biggest states for recruiting. Why would an elite recruit from those who is less likely to have exposure to Big Ten want to go to Wisconsin over say USC, Bama, Florida etc. 

Do you also find it unfair that OSU, Mich, ND have a monopoly on the elite recruits in the midwest versus than say Purdue?  Better facilities, more money flowing in, better coaching staffs, more prestige, prime-time games, better showcase.  I don't find that unfair at all. Ohio state has earned that. Purdue should work to get better. 
buckeyemark wrote: They had played in at least one Sugar Bowl v. Notre Dame, possibly others, and they had played Tulane there before as well.

Pac 12 teams play UCLA @ Rose Bowl all of the time.

Teams playing at Miami play on Orange Bowl field.

Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc... play in Jerry World.

Even if it's only once a year, or once every two years it's still an advantage over those who have never played there, and are traveling thousands of miles to boot.
cincydawg4 wrote: I'm not sure college teams play in bowl stadia very often, the Peach Bowl is an exception.

I doubt any of those LSU players had ever played in the Superdome before, I could be wrong, they might play HS games there for playoffs.

I still ask how many points this is worth.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 10:54 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


when the playoff comes teams shouldn't be allowed to play in their home region.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/5/2012 12:13 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


+1 what he said.
cincydawg4 wrote: Feel free to start a new bowl game.

I'm sure we need another one somewhere.

Or perhaps you should examine which bowl games are successful, which are struggling, and which are really in trouble financially, and draw any conclusions from any trends you observe.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/5/2012 6:12 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I'm really hard pressed to think that having played once in the same stadium two years ago makes any real difference.  I'd also note that with MOST bowls, this doesn't happen anyway.

The Rose Bowl and the Peach Bowl are two exceptions where pre-bowl games are frequently played.  I could see that having played INDOORS could be some advantage because of how the noise resonates and the field turf might be different.  For that matter, I'd think a larger difference might be with a team unusued to playing on field turf, having always played on natural grass, suddenly playing on turf.  There could be an adjustment period involved.

I personally think any "advantages" accrued by, for example, Georgia playing in Orlando versus Michigan State are so small as to be negligible.

If you want to argue that LSU's one time experience in the Superdome is worth a point over OSU, I MIGHT agree.

Hodor.

Reply | Quote
  • bs2u2
  • All-Conference
  • 5802 posts this site

Posted: 12/5/2012 6:52 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Location had nothing to do with this crowd. We had two of the middle of the class teams in the game which very few people give a big rats a$$ about. Thank you NCAA great move as usual.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/5/2012 8:54 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



oldnacl22 wrote: How is playing in a stadium that may be familiar an advantage? Football fields are the same dimensions no matter the stadium.  OSU has played better against Penn State at Penn state in the last 5 years than they have against Penn State at home. 

Baseball you could have an argument. 

Thousands of miles? I could buy that argument if they didn't get out to the bowl site a week before the actual game and if they took a bus to get there...not at most a 5 hour plane ride.

Could you imagine if Brett Bielema blamed his rosebowl loss last year on having to fly farther than oregon a week before the game? eekeekeek

Would you tell Coach Urb that one of the reasons he beat Oklahoma for a NC is that he played in Florida and thus was a nice advantage for him. Personally I think the reason was coaching (game planning and in-game) and talent executing the coaching.

And you mentioned the South/West has a monopoly on the recruits as they want to head there. Well yea, a lot of the talent and population of the US is in those areas....Texas, Cali, and Florida are the biggest states for recruiting. Why would an elite recruit from those who is less likely to have exposure to Big Ten want to go to Wisconsin over say USC, Bama, Florida etc. 

Do you also find it unfair that OSU, Mich, ND have a monopoly on the elite recruits in the midwest versus than say Purdue?  Better facilities, more money flowing in, better coaching staffs, more prestige, prime-time games, better showcase.  I don't find that unfair at all. Ohio state has earned that. Purdue should work to get better. 
buckeyemark wrote: They had played in at least one Sugar Bowl v. Notre Dame, possibly others, and they had played Tulane there before as well.

Pac 12 teams play UCLA @ Rose Bowl all of the time.

Teams playing at Miami play on Orange Bowl field.

Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc... play in Jerry World.

Even if it's only once a year, or once every two years it's still an advantage over those who have never played there, and are traveling thousands of miles to boot.
cincydawg4 wrote: I'm not sure college teams play in bowl stadia very often, the Peach Bowl is an exception.

I doubt any of those LSU players had ever played in the Superdome before, I could be wrong, they might play HS games there for playoffs.

I still ask how many points this is worth.
Might want to look that up again tough guy.  And quit asking for a point value for going on the road.  If you believe that the Florida teams playing in Florida bowls don't have an advantage I'll have what your smoking.  You silly southern girls should come up here and play a bowl game in Paul Brown stadium.  Though I'm sure you aren't that big of a fan to go somewhere "cold" to watch a game.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/5/2012 9:29 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I do not seen an advantage for Florida playing in the Outback or CapOne or Gator bowls. 

I just don't.  If there is one, it has to be very small, at best, a point perhaps, but I don't see that.  Playing in the Swamp is generally considered to be worth about 4 points.

I agree that Florida would have a disadvantage playing in Chicago out doors.  That is a complete irrelevancy.  The issue here is about advantage in bowl locations, not disadvantages in some hypothetical bowl game that will never happen.

Hodor.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/5/2012 9:52 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I know that I've seen fans here attribute OSU's bowl record against the SEC to the games being played in the South. Personally, I think the record is simply a fluke. But do you guys really think that playing in Orlando gave Tennessee some kind of advantage? Tampa gave South Carolina an advantage?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/5/2012 9:58 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



cincydawg4 wrote: I do not seen an advantage for Florida playing in the Outback or CapOne or Gator bowls. 

I just don't.  If there is one, it has to be very small, at best, a point perhaps, but I don't see that.  Playing in the Swamp is generally considered to be worth about 4 points.

I agree that Florida would have a disadvantage playing in Chicago out doors.  That is a complete irrelevancy.  The issue here is about advantage in bowl locations, not disadvantages in some hypothetical bowl game that will never happen.
Thick homer glasses?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/5/2012 10:07 AM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


How much does Florida have to change their routine when getting ready for a bowl game in northern Florida?

Do they sleep in their own beds, eat at their normal eating locations, etc... as long as possible?

To me it just seems easier to drive or bus a 100-200 miles down the road than to fly 1000 miles away from your comfort zone.
cincydawg4 wrote: I do not seen an advantage for Florida playing in the Outback or CapOne or Gator bowls. 

I just don't.  If there is one, it has to be very small, at best, a point perhaps, but I don't see that.  Playing in the Swamp is generally considered to be worth about 4 points.

I agree that Florida would have a disadvantage playing in Chicago out doors.  That is a complete irrelevancy.  The issue here is about advantage in bowl locations, not disadvantages in some hypothetical bowl game that will never happen.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 9  Next >