Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 9  Next >

Bowl games locations... wake up

  • BillsPA
  • Junior
  • 1497 posts this site

Posted: 12/4/2012 3:26 PM

Bowl games locations... wake up 


Some bowl games should also be located in the North and Midwest as well as the south. FANS will travel to a game no matter where it's located.

NFL is having a future superbowl in the New York stadium... no reason college should not have some of the bowls above the mason dixon line.

It is 2012, not 1912. Progress is needed.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 3:40 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



BillsPA wrote: Some bowl games should also be located in the North and Midwest as well as the south. FANS will travel to a game no matter where it's located.

NFL is having a future superbowl in the New York stadium... no reason college should not have some of the bowls above the mason dixon line.

It is 2012, not 1912. Progress is needed.
Fans will not travel to a game no matter the location. Also need local fan support to help fill the seats, how did Indiana do this past weekend.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 3:45 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Feel free to start a new bowl game.

I'm sure we need another one somewhere.

Or perhaps you should examine which bowl games are successful, which are struggling, and which are really in trouble financially, and draw any conclusions from any trends you observe.

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Fleet Marshal Gorshkov

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 3:55 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


The Big Ten conference championship game only had 40,000. No one wants to travel to watch a game in the north.

Seriously, who cares where the games are played? The Big Ten doesn't lose bowl games because of location, they lose because of inferior coaches and players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 4:41 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


N/midwest should start the CFBO5.0* league & leave real football to the men. 

anyone who can run the 40 in under 5.0 cannot participate
Reply | Quote
  • Zman32
  • All-Conference
  • 4992 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 4:44 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 



AceTommyBoy wrote: The Big Ten conference championship game only had 40,000. No one wants to travel to watch a game in the north.

Seriously, who cares where the games are played? The Big Ten doesn't lose bowl games because of location, they lose because of inferior coaches and players.
I can't imagine anyone being any more ignorant. Having the bowls in your front yard isn't an advantage? OK, so let's throw all logic aside and come up with a reasonable explanation why having the bowls in the south isn't a huge advantage to the southern teams. I'm waiting.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 4:47 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Urbanator X biggrin
Zman32 wrote:
AceTommyBoy wrote: The Big Ten conference championship game only had 40,000. No one wants to travel to watch a game in the north.

Seriously, who cares where the games are played? The Big Ten doesn't lose bowl games because of location, they lose because of inferior coaches and players.
I can't imagine anyone being any more ignorant. Having the bowls in your front yard isn't an advantage? OK, so let's throw all logic aside and come up with a reasonable explanation why having the bowls in the south isn't a huge advantage to the southern teams. I'm waiting.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 5:47 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


How big of an advantage is it to have bowl games in the south for southern teams?

I agree it would be tough for southern teams to play outdoors up north in January.

But is it an advantage to either side if you play football in decent weather in Orlando?

If so, how many points?

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Fleet Marshal Gorshkov

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 5:49 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 




---------------------------------------------
--- AceTommyBoy wrote:

The Big Ten conference championship game only had 40,000. No one wants to travel to watch a game in the north.

Seriously, who cares where the games are played? The Big Ten doesn't lose bowl games because of location, they lose because of inferior coaches and players.

---------------------------------------------

The Big Ten Championship game featured a 6th place team! Who wants to watch that?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 5:55 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I think if your team ALWAYS had to go to California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, or Florida for a bowl game, and the closest location Florida is a 1-2 day car ride you would understand.

In bowl season Big 10 plays 1 bowl game in their home state, or region - Motor City Bowl v. MAC, so it just happens to be their home state or region as well.

Otherwise they are playing Pac 12 teams in California or Arizona, Big 12 teams in Texas or Arizona, SEC teams in Louisiana or Florida.
cincydawg4 wrote: How big of an advantage is it to have bowl games in the south for southern teams?

I agree it would be tough for southern teams to play outdoors up north in January.

But is it an advantage to either side if you play football in decent weather in Orlando?

If so, how many points?
Reply | Quote
  • BillsPA
  • Junior
  • 1497 posts this site

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:07 PM

RE: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Soldier Field... Lambeu field... what FOOTBALL fan of these "southern" teams wouldn't WANT to watch their team play in those stadiums??? If they don't, they aren't a fan of football.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:23 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


No outdoor, cold-weather bowl game has ever survived more than a few years. Why do you think that is?

If I'm a CFB player I would rather play my bowl game in SoCal, Florida or Arizona than in the North, full stop. Even if it supposedly gives a home-field advantage to the opponent (which I don't buy, fwiw.)

A bowl game is a reward for a successful season. I don't consider freezing my balls off in 20-degree weather to be any kind of reward.

 

Reply | Quote
  • oldnacl22
  • All-Conference
  • 4725 posts this site

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:26 PM

RE: Bowl games locations... wake up 


How many northern teams play football in the north in January? 

This isn't the NFL. And your point about the superbowl....that is the biggest spectacle in American sports. I don't think that is really a fair comparison since fans go to NY to watch that, they would flock to BCS games in the north. 

Do you really think these college kids who actually play the games would like to go to Wisconsin in the middle of the winter for a week and stay couped up in a hotel for a week?

These bowl trips are semi-vacations for the players. 
BillsPA wrote: Soldier Field... Lambeu field... what FOOTBALL fan of these "southern" teams wouldn't WANT to watch their team play in those stadiums??? If they don't, they aren't a fan of football.
Reply | Quote
  • oldnacl22
  • All-Conference
  • 4725 posts this site

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:29 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


You do realize that the players actually prefer this right as it is a free vacation for them.

I don't think travel distance really matters all that much or whose teams have more fans at the game really matters that much. 

Get better is what the Big Ten needs to do and stop making excuses.

buckeyemark wrote: I think if your team ALWAYS had to go to California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, or Florida for a bowl game, and the closest location Florida is a 1-2 day car ride you would understand.

In bowl season Big 10 plays 1 bowl game in their home state, or region - Motor City Bowl v. MAC, so it just happens to be their home state or region as well.

Otherwise they are playing Pac 12 teams in California or Arizona, Big 12 teams in Texas or Arizona, SEC teams in Louisiana or Florida.
cincydawg4 wrote: How big of an advantage is it to have bowl games in the south for southern teams?

I agree it would be tough for southern teams to play outdoors up north in January.

But is it an advantage to either side if you play football in decent weather in Orlando?

If so, how many points?
Reply | Quote
  • oldnacl22
  • All-Conference
  • 4725 posts this site

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:31 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Bingo.

I know the OSU football players feel this way as welll. 
HermFontenot86 wrote:

No outdoor, cold-weather bowl game has ever survived more than a few years. Why do you think that is?

If I'm a CFB player I would rather play my bowl game in SoCal, Florida or Arizona than in the North, full stop. Even if it supposedly gives a home-field advantage to the opponent (which I don't buy, fwiw.)

A bowl game is a reward for a successful season. I don't consider freezing my balls off in 20-degree weather to be any kind of reward.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:35 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Hard to get better when all incentive for players is to head South or West.

National Championships, Heisman Trophies, Bowl Games are all being monopolized by the South right now.

It's a vicious cycle that keeps perpetuating itself.
oldnacl22 wrote: You do realize that the players actually prefer this right as it is a free vacation for them.

I don't think travel distance really matters all that much or whose teams have more fans at the game really matters that much. 

Get better is what the Big Ten needs to do and stop making excuses.

buckeyemark wrote: I think if your team ALWAYS had to go to California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, or Florida for a bowl game, and the closest location Florida is a 1-2 day car ride you would understand.

In bowl season Big 10 plays 1 bowl game in their home state, or region - Motor City Bowl v. MAC, so it just happens to be their home state or region as well.

Otherwise they are playing Pac 12 teams in California or Arizona, Big 12 teams in Texas or Arizona, SEC teams in Louisiana or Florida.
cincydawg4 wrote: How big of an advantage is it to have bowl games in the south for southern teams?

I agree it would be tough for southern teams to play outdoors up north in January.

But is it an advantage to either side if you play football in decent weather in Orlando?

If so, how many points?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:38 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


The Big 10 should be able to host some bowl games!

Indianapolis has a beautiful domed stadium.
New York City has Yankee Stadium, as well as home of Giants and Jets.
Washington D.C. has Redskins Stadium.
Baltimore has Ravens Stadium.
St. Louis has a domed stadium.
Chicago has Soldier Field.

A lot of great NFL playoff games are played in the North.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:39 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


Stipulating that it is an advantage, I'm asking how many points do you think it is worth?

Bear in mind that home field advantage in college football during a season is 3-5 points, generally speaking.  That is playing in front of a crowd that is likely 85-90% friendly fans who are trying to make noise and alter the play of the opponent.

I'm just asking how many points do you think it is for Georgia to play Nebraska in Orlando for Georgia's side.  Why do you think that offers an advantage?  Shorter plane flight?  More fans in attendance?  Is it one point?

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Fleet Marshal Gorshkov

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 6:46 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I think it helps playing in your own region because it increases the odds that you have played in that stadium before.

In 1996 Arizona State beat UCLA in the Rose Bowl. Pac 12 teams are familiar with the Rose Bowl. SEC teams are familiar with the Super Dome. Texas A&M, Arkansas, etc... are familiar with Jerry World.

I think there is a psychological element too. When Ohio State had LSU down 10-0 in the Super Dome the Tigers didn't panic.

So, familiarity and staying calm are important in bowl games.

Big 10 is true road warriors in virtually every bowl game.
cincydawg4 wrote: Stipulating that it is an advantage, I'm asking how many points do you think it is worth?

Bear in mind that home field advantage in college football during a season is 3-5 points, generally speaking.  That is playing in front of a crowd that is likely 85-90% friendly fans who are trying to make noise and alter the play of the opponent.

I'm just asking how many points do you think it is for Georgia to play Nebraska in Orlando for Georgia's side.  Why do you think that offers an advantage?  Shorter plane flight?  More fans in attendance?  Is it one point?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2012 7:10 PM

Re: Bowl games locations... wake up 


I'm not sure college teams play in bowl stadia very often, the Peach Bowl is an exception.

I doubt any of those LSU players had ever played in the Superdome before, I could be wrong, they might play HS games there for playoffs.

I still ask how many points this is worth.

"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Fleet Marshal Gorshkov

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 9  Next >