Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 8  Next >

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls

Posted: 12/8/2012 4:50 AM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



MissStateBuckeye wrote:
wizwiz wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
total wins and conf championships are earned...

MNC are voted on - Bama didn't earn a MNC last year... finishing 3rd in your conference and having a weak resume but still getting people to vote for you just shows how epically flawed the MNC really is

Wisconsin certainly won it on the field. 

When is the last time the 40th-50th best team in the nation won the National Championship? That is the same as a sixth place conference team winning the Conference Title.
how did Bama earn the nc last season over Okie St?

if you're undefeated - you did all you can do...

if you lose a game then you didn't earn it - you got the luck of the vote... just like this year... Bama is getting the vote over KSU, Oregon, etc... it is what it is... the worst way possible of determining a champion... it's friggin sad really

conference championships aren't voted on... they are won on the field...

1996 did UF earn the MNC over tOSU?
1998 did FSU earn the right to play for the MNC over tOSU?
2000 did FSU earn the right to play for the MNC over Miami who had beaten them?
2001 did Neb earn the right over Oregon?
2003 did LSU or Oklahoma earn the right over USC?
2004 did USC or Oklahoma earn over Auburn?
this list can go on and on and on

the answer is quite simply no... it wasn't earned on the field... it was decided by pen and paper

this year Wisconsin was probably the 5th best team in the B1G - this was the most unlikely scenerio to play out this year with tOSU and PSU both being on probation... that's a fluke...
You seem to view earned as having the best record rather than having the best team.  Is this some sort of hapless rational since most schools don't have the opportunity to play against the contending teams, therefore if they win their weak schedule they should be the MNC?

The four team playoff isn't perfect but should eliminate a bunch of these 'easy' MNC that strong programs in weak conferences get.


I agree that Alabama should not have been in the game last year.  You are right about them being voted in instead of winning it.  If this had applied in 2006 I have no doubt that OSU would have been established as having one of the best ever teams after beating Mich in a rematch.  Just like we have Alabama's 2011 team being considered one of those teams.

AL, KSU, Oregon, UF, OSU, ND....who is really the best?  We will never know.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2012 4:59 AM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



OSUVB wrote:
TideFaninFl wrote: Interestingly enough, have you ever seen an Alabama fan talk about the other universities' "bogus" titles?  I mean, if you go after Alabama's, you have to go after all the other schools that claim NCs like the ones Bama won....... wink 

I mean, just look at

1961,  (8-01) OSU "claims" the NC, yet  (10-0) Alabama won both the AP and UPI....... lol, care to explain....... 

1970, NU (AP) and Texas (UPI) split the title, yet  (9-1) OSU claims the title as well..

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.c...ide_5awards.pdf

just interesting facts.........


Ohio State only "claims" NCs recognized by the NCAA. The NCAA acknowledges NC by AP, UPI/coaches' poll, the Grantland Rice/Sportswriters award, & the National Football Foundation. And they were certainly acceptable back in the day.

The OSU 61 NC was given by the sportswriters. The 1970 title (before the Rose Bowl) came from the NFF.

Your argument is with the NCAA, not Ohio State.
No, I think that was his point.eek1  Grabbing titles when the consensus is with other teams.  Why not count each of the above as individual championships, then you could have four championships potentially in just one year.  That would make as much sense as claiming that you could have four schools all being champions for a given year.  Few would agree with either.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2012 8:32 AM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



brutus79 wrote: Eye test for 2013 and right here right now is all you need.
Notre Dame does not have the horses to play with Bama, or faced a team with these big explosive atheltes and depth all year.
One common opponent within a short span, ND squeaked by Michigan at home with 6 UofM TO's, two in the Irish red zone.
Bama date raped Michigan, could have scored 50 if they wanted, the second half Saban had a controlled scrimmage.
T'eo this, T'eo that.   Pitt ran the ball on ND, and USC gouged them in the run game with smaller backs.  Stanford ran the ball on them, and left easily 10 or more points in the red zone.  T'eo is going to have tire tracks of Bama OL and Lacy/Yeldon combo.
Bama by double digits.
Saban vs. Kelly, huge mismatch for Saban.
buckwild23 wrote:
JPdub wrote:
buckwild23 wrote: LMAO...Alabama is 1-5 against Notre Dame.

DEAL WITH IT!
And OSU is 0-3 against Alabama. mouth.gif

I don't care. (and I witnessed the 3rd loss LIVE)

The fact is all the stats in the world will mean absolutely nothing when those two teams face off in January.
ROFLMAO//// GTFOH

If I look at ND's schedule and compare it to Alabama its real, real, real easy to see who had the tougher schedule.

All these SEC yahoo's are going to be stunned in silence as they watch Notre Lame shut Alabama down.
You win with people

- W. W. Hayes
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2012 8:48 AM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 


Alabama had a similar record before playing Texas a few years ago and it was never mentioned once by ESPN.  Just the way it is I guess.

And yes there are other teams that make up titles (USC) but no one is as pathetic about it as Alabama fans.  14 national titles... LOL.  Sure.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2012 9:46 AM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



Chiefloincloth wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
DeepSthBoy wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
DeepSthBoy wrote:
ssbucks wrote: Where is the DeepSouth Boy??
Right here.

I can tell you that this stat is not one that is lost on any Bama fan. A better thing to use is this -- 1966/1973/1977

Maybe between now and January 7th, you guys can trot those three years out day after day.

That isn't nearly as entertaining to me, however, as it is when OSUVB and some of you guys trot out total wins or conference championships or some other such stat to establish Ohio State as an "all-timer". My son is 16 and he has seen as many national championships from Bama as any Ohio State fan that is 50 has seen. Now THERE is a stat.
total wins and conf championships are earned...

MNC are voted on - Bama didn't earn a MNC last year... finishing 3rd in your conference and having a weak resume but still getting people to vote for you just shows how epically flawed the MNC really is
You make yourself look "epically" ignorant when you post this sort of butthurt stuff. There is not even any point in rehashing all the reasons that Bama played in that game. You have to be beyond moronic not to get it. Sorry if you don't like it.

I wonder -- would you accept an AP championship if it was voted to OSU right now?
So alabama earned it over okie st last year?

exactly how???

they lost on their home field... they played a much much weaker schedule... they finished 3rd in their conference when the computers ranked the big 12 as a stronger conference - yes the big 12 which okie st won...

the resume's weren't even comparable...

bama didn't earn anything last year... done the same thing this year... and for the 2nd straight year getting the benefit of the vote...

you can say I'm butthurt all you want... doesn't change the truth about how absolutely pathetic the bowl system is
A pathetic post

Alabama earned the BCS title last year 

Do you guys claim the W over Arkansas ?
We beat Arkansas ON THE FIELD, Alabama was VOTED National champions, big difference
The views expressed here, are solely my own, well, most of the time.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2012 4:25 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



djtidebuck wrote: Alabama national title claims are laughed at by all other programs.  All are "mythical" or voted on anyway.  Until 2014, when we have a selection committee, like all other NCAA titles, the titles will have been voted on, not won.  So I guess I could vote my Buckeyes national champs this year and count it, but we are not Alabama, so it is not AP or UP, so we won't.  If the AP awards us the title, I will claim it.

Many people laugh at the truth.  So you agree with the uninformed idiots, who agrue despite having the evidence shown to them.

LOL...so the selection committee will fix this?   ROTFALOL.... it does not even work in the NCAA basketball tournament.  Teams with much better records are left out all the time, and they pick 66 teams....... devil

You can claim the AP title if OSU is selected, but OSU will not have won it..... and that is YOUR argument you use against Alabama.....



cool

Last edited 12/8/2012 4:34 PM by TideFaninFl

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2012 4:36 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



BuckeyeRob wrote:
brutus79 wrote: Eye test for 2013 and right here right now is all you need.
Notre Dame does not have the horses to play with Bama, or faced a team with these big explosive atheltes and depth all year.
One common opponent within a short span, ND squeaked by Michigan at home with 6 UofM TO's, two in the Irish red zone.
Bama date raped Michigan, could have scored 50 if they wanted, the second half Saban had a controlled scrimmage.
T'eo this, T'eo that.   Pitt ran the ball on ND, and USC gouged them in the run game with smaller backs.  Stanford ran the ball on them, and left easily 10 or more points in the red zone.  T'eo is going to have tire tracks of Bama OL and Lacy/Yeldon combo.
Bama by double digits.
Saban vs. Kelly, huge mismatch for Saban.
buckwild23 wrote:
JPdub wrote:
buckwild23 wrote: LMAO...Alabama is 1-5 against Notre Dame.

DEAL WITH IT!
And OSU is 0-3 against Alabama. mouth.gif

I don't care. (and I witnessed the 3rd loss LIVE)

The fact is all the stats in the world will mean absolutely nothing when those two teams face off in January.
ROFLMAO//// GTFOH

If I look at ND's schedule and compare it to Alabama its real, real, real easy to see who had the tougher schedule.

All these SEC yahoo's are going to be stunned in silence as they watch Notre Lame shut Alabama down.
Yes, Bama has no chance what so ever........

just a side note, Bama played 3 of the final top ten teams, ND only played 1



cool

Last edited 12/8/2012 4:44 PM by TideFaninFl

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2012 6:14 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



OSUVB wrote:
TideFaninFl wrote: Interestingly enough, have you ever seen an Alabama fan talk about the other universities' "bogus" titles?  I mean, if you go after Alabama's, you have to go after all the other schools that claim NCs like the ones Bama won....... wink 

I mean, just look at

1961,  (8-01) OSU "claims" the NC, yet  (10-0) Alabama won both the AP and UPI....... lol, care to explain....... 

1970, NU (AP) and Texas (UPI) split the title, yet  (9-1) OSU claims the title as well..

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.c...ide_5awards.pdf

just interesting facts.........


Ohio State only "claims" NCs recognized by the NCAA. The NCAA acknowledges NC by AP, UPI/coaches' poll, the Grantland Rice/Sportswriters award, & the National Football Foundation. And they were certainly acceptable back in the day.

The OSU 61 NC was given by the sportswriters. The 1970 title (before the Rose Bowl) came from the NFF.

Your argument is with the NCAA, not Ohio State.
How many Bama titles does the NCAA acknowledge?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2012 8:13 PM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



DeepSthBoy wrote:
ssbucks wrote: Where is the DeepSouth Boy??
Right here.

I can tell you that this stat is not one that is lost on any Bama fan. A better thing to use is this -- 1966/1973/1977

Maybe between now and January 7th, you guys can trot those three years out day after day.

That isn't nearly as entertaining to me, however, as it is when OSUVB and some of you guys trot out total wins or conference championships or some other such stat to establish Ohio State as an "all-timer". My son is 16 and he has seen as many national championships from Bama as any Ohio State fan that is 50 has seen. Now THERE is a stat.
Oversigning sure has it's perks doesn't it?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2012 11:40 PM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



djtidebuck wrote:
Chiefloincloth wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
DeepSthBoy wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
DeepSthBoy wrote:
ssbucks wrote: Where is the DeepSouth Boy??
Right here.

I can tell you that this stat is not one that is lost on any Bama fan. A better thing to use is this -- 1966/1973/1977

Maybe between now and January 7th, you guys can trot those three years out day after day.

That isn't nearly as entertaining to me, however, as it is when OSUVB and some of you guys trot out total wins or conference championships or some other such stat to establish Ohio State as an "all-timer". My son is 16 and he has seen as many national championships from Bama as any Ohio State fan that is 50 has seen. Now THERE is a stat.
total wins and conf championships are earned...

MNC are voted on - Bama didn't earn a MNC last year... finishing 3rd in your conference and having a weak resume but still getting people to vote for you just shows how epically flawed the MNC really is
You make yourself look "epically" ignorant when you post this sort of butthurt stuff. There is not even any point in rehashing all the reasons that Bama played in that game. You have to be beyond moronic not to get it. Sorry if you don't like it.

I wonder -- would you accept an AP championship if it was voted to OSU right now?
So alabama earned it over okie st last year?

exactly how???

they lost on their home field... they played a much much weaker schedule... they finished 3rd in their conference when the computers ranked the big 12 as a stronger conference - yes the big 12 which okie st won...

the resume's weren't even comparable...

bama didn't earn anything last year... done the same thing this year... and for the 2nd straight year getting the benefit of the vote...

you can say I'm butthurt all you want... doesn't change the truth about how absolutely pathetic the bowl system is
A pathetic post

Alabama earned the BCS title last year 

Do you guys claim the W over Arkansas ?
We beat Arkansas ON THE FIELD, Alabama was VOTED National champions, big difference

Alabama won the BCS

OSU KNOWINGLY played ineligible players all year, and also in the Bowl game

 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 10:09 AM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



BuckeyeRob wrote:
 
ROFLMAO//// GTFOH

If I look at ND's schedule and compare it to Alabama its real, real, real easy to see who had the tougher schedule.

All these SEC yahoo's are going to be stunned in silence as they watch Notre Lame shut Alabama down.
See you here on January 8th, jackass. Can't wait to hear what you have to see then. Three out of four. All-time most successful CFB program. Deal with it, bro.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 2:57 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 


Good lord.  Bama claims the '73 title.  ND beat them in the Sugar Bowl and finished undefeated.  Yet Bama still claims that title.

Bama claims the '78 title. USC and Bama both finished the season with one loss.  Guess which team Bama lost too?  That's right. USC.  Yet Bama still claims that title too.

Bama claims the '41 title when they finished #20 in the AP poll.  Many other teams finished with better records than Bama that year.  Yet Bama still claims that title too.

These are only three examples of bogus national titles claimed by Bama.  There are more.

Bama fan's claims for both national titles and the all-time best program are laughable.  The only ones who believe that are the type that poison trees at Auburn.  And the rest of the college football world laughs at those idiotic bogus national title claims.  By your reasoning the South won the Civil War.

And Bear Bryant is still 0-4 against ND. 

DeepSthBoy wrote:
BuckeyeRob wrote:
 
ROFLMAO//// GTFOH

If I look at ND's schedule and compare it to Alabama its real, real, real easy to see who had the tougher schedule.

All these SEC yahoo's are going to be stunned in silence as they watch Notre Lame shut Alabama down.
See you here on January 8th, jackass. Can't wait to hear what you have to see then. Three out of four. All-time most successful CFB program. Deal with it, bro.

Last edited 12/9/2012 7:42 PM by Fresno Mike

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2012 3:24 PM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 


Bama knowing tried to buy Albert Means. I guess that sort of thing doesn't go on any more.......LMAO.

---------------------------------------------
--- Chiefloincloth wrote:


djtidebuck wrote:
Chiefloincloth wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
DeepSthBoy wrote:
MissStateBuckeye wrote:
DeepSthBoy wrote:
ssbucks wrote: Where is the DeepSouth Boy??
Right here.

I can tell you that this stat is not one that is lost on any Bama fan. A better thing to use is this -- 1966/1973/1977

Maybe between now and January 7th, you guys can trot those three years out day after day.

That isn't nearly as entertaining to me, however, as it is when OSUVB and some of you guys trot out total wins or conference championships or some other such stat to establish Ohio State as an "all-timer". My son is 16 and he has seen as many national championships from Bama as any Ohio State fan that is 50 has seen. Now THERE is a stat.
total wins and conf championships are earned...

MNC are voted on - Bama didn't earn a MNC last year... finishing 3rd in your conference and having a weak resume but still getting people to vote for you just shows how epically flawed the MNC really is
You make yourself look "epically" ignorant when you post this sort of butthurt stuff. There is not even any point in rehashing all the reasons that Bama played in that game. You have to be beyond moronic not to get it. Sorry if you don't like it.

I wonder -- would you accept an AP championship if it was voted to OSU right now?
So alabama earned it over okie st last year?

exactly how???

they lost on their home field... they played a much much weaker schedule... they finished 3rd in their conference when the computers ranked the big 12 as a stronger conference - yes the big 12 which okie st won...

the resume's weren't even comparable...

bama didn't earn anything last year... done the same thing this year... and for the 2nd straight year getting the benefit of the vote...

you can say I'm butthurt all you want... doesn't change the truth about how absolutely pathetic the bowl system is
A pathetic post

Alabama earned the BCS title last year 

Do you guys claim the W over Arkansas ?
We beat Arkansas ON THE FIELD, Alabama was VOTED National champions, big difference

Alabama won the BCS

OSU KNOWINGLY played ineligible players all year, and also in the Bowl game

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2012 11:15 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



Fresno Mike wrote: Good lord.  Bama claims the '73 title.  ND beat them in the Sugar Bowl and finished undefeated.  Yet Bama still claims that title.

Bama claims the '78 title. USC and Bama both finished the season with one loss.  Guess which team Bama lost too?  That's right. USC.  Yet Bama still claims that title too.

Bama claims the '41 title when they finished #20 in the AP poll.  Many other teams finished with better records than Bama that year.  Yet Bama still claims that title too.

These are only three examples of bogus national titles claimed by Bama.  There are more.

Bama fan's claims for both national titles and the all-time best program are laughable.  The only ones who believe that are the type that poison trees at Auburn.  And the rest of the college football world laughs at those idiotic bogus national title claims.  By your reasoning the South won the Civil War.

And Bear Bryant is still 0-4 against ND. 

Many teams lost bowl games after winning the national title.  Many teams avoided playing bowl games so they could end their season unbeaten. 

You might notice Alabama ALWAYS played in a bowl game in the years that won the national title.  I say any team that did not play in a bowl game during their NC season, does not deserve to be called the NC.

Some examples

Oklahoma 1956, average record for all the teams 3-7, only one winning team in the bunch, no bowl game

USCw- did not play in the title game in 2003, yet claim the title

ND- played for a tie in 1966, no bowl and won over an undefeated and untied NC winner from 1964 and 1965- in fact ND has only played in 3 NC games in their history.


Other examples if you want......

Before posting again, do some research........ you can start here..
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.co...am_rankings.php


cool
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 9:04 AM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



Chiefloincloth wrote:
Alabama won the BCS

OSU KNOWINGLY played ineligible players all year, and also in the Bowl game
The NCAA cleared the players to play in the bowl game.  The guy that gave the tatoos for jerseys, was not a booster.  Do you even know any of the facts of the case?
The views expressed here, are solely my own, well, most of the time.
Reply | Quote
  • tomtango
  • All-Conference
  • 6223 posts this site

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:45 PM

Re: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



snickers8 wrote:
You seem to view earned as having the best record rather than having the best team.  Is this some sort of hapless rational since most schools don't have the opportunity to play against the contending teams, therefore if they win their weak schedule they should be the MNC?

The four team playoff isn't perfect but should eliminate a bunch of these 'easy' MNC that strong programs in weak conferences get.


I agree that Alabama should not have been in the game last year.  You are right about them being voted in instead of winning it.  If this had applied in 2006 I have no doubt that OSU would have been established as having one of the best ever teams after beating Mich in a rematch.  Just like we have Alabama's 2011 team being considered one of those teams.

AL, KSU, Oregon, UF, OSU, ND....who is really the best?  We will never know.

Earning and being the best are not the same thing.  LSU earned their title shot last year by beating every team on their schedule.  It was a no brainer to put them in the title game.  Alabama was given their title shot.  There is a difference b/w the two.

I have respect for Notre Dame b/c they did the voters job for them.  They won all of their games.  Bama's simply another of a group of one loss teams, which the voters need to grant a title spot to.  If Notre Dame had a loss then they would have probably not been voted in.  Therefore they most certainly earned their spot in the title game.  Alabama didn't do everything necessary this year, in losing a game, Notre Dame did do everything possible.

Last edited 12/10/2012 4:46 PM by tomtango

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 3:15 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 


Yeah ..Northern Illinois dropped a game as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 5:38 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



TideFaninFl wrote:
buckwild23 wrote: LMAO...Alabama is 1-5 against Notre Dame.

DEAL WITH IT!

Alabama has more national titles than Notre Dame.... and Bama will be adding one more come January....

DEAL WITH IT....... tongue



cool


Alabama COUNTS more national titles than Notre Dame.  Notre Dame has more titles than Alabama.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 6:10 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



ktffan wrote:
TideFaninFl wrote:
buckwild23 wrote: LMAO...Alabama is 1-5 against Notre Dame.

DEAL WITH IT!

Alabama has more national titles than Notre Dame.... and Bama will be adding one more come January....

DEAL WITH IT....... tongue



cool


Alabama COUNTS more national titles than Notre Dame.  Notre Dame has more titles than Alabama.

ROTFALOL>... no on both counts......

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

you do your own research......

based on unbeaten and untied regular seasons- Bama wins (ND counts most of their NC based on unbeaten regular seasons)

based on NC games won- Bama wins (Bama has lost more NC games than ND has played in)

based on polls- Bama wins....... (standardized polls, AP/UPI/BCS/etc 9-8)

In fact, Bama in one of very few teams that actually plays another great team in a bowl after one of it's unbeaten/untied seasons.



cool

Last edited 12/11/2012 6:26 PM by TideFaninFl

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 6:34 PM

RE: Alabama 1-5 vs Notre Dame, 0-2 in bowls 



TideFaninFl wrote:
ktffan wrote:
TideFaninFl wrote:
buckwild23 wrote: LMAO...Alabama is 1-5 against Notre Dame.

DEAL WITH IT!

Alabama has more national titles than Notre Dame.... and Bama will be adding one more come January....

DEAL WITH IT....... tongue



cool


Alabama COUNTS more national titles than Notre Dame.  Notre Dame has more titles than Alabama.

ROTFALOL>... no on both counts......

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

you do your own research......

based on unbeaten and untied regular seasons- Bama wins (ND counts most of their NC based on unbeaten regular seasons)

based on NC games won- Bama wins (Bama has lost more NC games than ND has played in)

based on polls- Bama wins....... (standardized polls, AP/UPI/BCS/etc 9-8)

In fact, Bama in one of very few teams that actually plays another great team in a bowl after one of it's unbeaten/untied seasons.



cool

"It happened again.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Quarterback Tony Rice, the special guest on this week's Irish Huddle, led Notre Dame to its most recent "consensus"  national title in 1988.

During the Dec. 2 BCS National Title teleconference, Alabama was introduced as the program going for its “15th national title” while Notre Dame was referred to as competing for its “12th.”

Here we go again about setting the record straight. One of these years it might actually work.

Alabama undoubtedly is the current benchmark on the field in college football. On Jan. 7, it will attempt to join Notre Dame from 1946-49 and Nebraska from 1994-97 as the third program to capture three national titles in four years since the end of World War II.

However, Notre Dame and Alabama have different guidelines on what define a national title.

Notre Dame goes strictly by “consensus” titles, and the NCAA records show the Fighting Irish have recorded 11: 1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1966, 1973, 1977 and 1988. By Notre Dame parameters, it was not inaccurate that it was announced the Irish are going for their “12th.”

When it comes to consensus, Alabama can be recognized with 10: 1925, 1926, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009 and 2011.

The slippery slope is when Alabama points to striving for its 15th. Who actually has won the most national titles in college football?

The answer is if you use every poll system ever used since the birth of football in 1869 —wire services, historical research documents, mathematical rating systems, retroactive polls — Princeton has 28 and Yale 27. Princeton was awarded 20 titles from 1869-99, and Yale had 19 prior to 1900.

The last one for Princeton was 1950 (Boand and Poling), and the last for Yale was 1927 (a poll simply called Football Research).

As for 1900 through 2011, there are three different ways one can count national titles:

System No.1: Every Poll Ever Used/Recognized
There have been approximately 30 different rating systems charted in the NCAA record book. This cheapens titles — including some for Notre Dame and Alabama. Here are two examples, one for each school:

In 1967, the Dunkel System awarded the national title to Notre Dame over consensus champion USC — even though the Trojans finished 10-1 while the Irish were 8-2. Moreover, the Trojans won in Notre Dame Stadium, 24-7. It defies explanation how Dunkel (begun in 1929 as a power index rating system) could reach its conclusion while omitting common sense.

In 1941, there were 15 different services that awarded a national title, and Minnesota was recognized as the “consensus” champion because 12 different organizations (including AP) voted the 8-0 Golden Gophers No. 1.

Two gave the nod to 8-1-1 Texas (4th in the AP) and one gave it to 9-2 Alabama — an organization named Houlgate (1927-58), a mathematical rating system developed by Deke Houlgate of Los Angeles, Calif., and syndicated to newspapers.

That year Alabama finished No. 20 in the AP poll with a 9-2 record and shutout losses to Mississippi State and Vanderbilt — yet it still claims it as “a national title year.” C'mon, Man!

There have been several years where five or six teams were recognized as "national champions" by one unrecognized poll or another.

The University of Miami won the Berryman and Sagarin poll in 1988 over Notre Dame, despite losing to 12-0 Notre Dame.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame earned No. 1 recognition in 1993 from Matthews Grid Rating over consensus champion Florida State, which had lost in November to the Irish.

Schools will sometimes publicize these “national titles” in their media guide.

Although Notre Dame received some national title notice in 1919 and 1920, its first consensus title was with Knute Rockne in 1924. That was the season the “Four Horsemen and Seven Mules” defeated Stanford in the Rose Bowl and were rated No. 1 in 10 of the 11 polls used back then. (Penn won the Parke Davis poll that season.)

For the record, here are the top 10 national champions from 1900-2011 if you used every one of these polls as a reference: Notre Dame (21), Alabama (18), Michigan, Oklahoma and USC (16), Ohio State (12), Nebraska and Pittsburgh (11), Princeton and Yale (8).

System No. 2: Two Wire Service Polls

The Associated Press poll began in 1936, and the United Press International (UPI) — now known as the USA Today/ESPN Coaches’ poll — sprung up in 1950. They became the mainstays of national title recognition by the NCAA.

However, until 1968 with the AP and 1974 with the UPI, bowl games did not factor into the equation (except in 1965 for the AP). Notre Dame did not go to bowl games from 1925 through 1968 in great part because bowl games had no bearing on the national title. The 1966 Notre Dame squad didn’t have to play in a bowl to be voted the consensus national champ.

The year after the AP started voting after bowl games, Notre Dame returned to the bowl scene for the first time in 45 years.

Consequently, Texas can claim a national title in 1970 even though it lost 24-11 to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl. That's because the UPI, unlike the AP, awarded national titles prior to the bowl games. The Longhorns finished the 1970 regular season ranked No. 1 in the UPI. This practice by the UPI ceased in 1974.

Thus, Alabama also was the 1973 UPI national champion — even though it lost to Notre Dame, 24-23, in the Sugar Bowl. Because the AP did vote after bowls, Notre Dame was the AP champion. It also was awarded the Grantland Rice Award (Football Writers Association of America) and The MacArthur Bowl (National Football Foundation & Hall of Fame), both emblematic of national titles as recognized by the NCAA. Notre Dame’s national title was deemed “consensus.” Alabama's was not.

However, Alabama still has the right to proclaim 1973 as a "national championship season" because of the UPI. The Crimson Tide also claimed the 1964 national title — both AP and UPI — even though it lost 21-17 to Texas in the Orange Bowl. Again, neither the AP nor UPI voted after bowls back then, so it’s almost like the bowl games were glorified exhibitions.

The Top 10 national champions in the AP and the USA Today/ESPN Coaches poll (formerly UPI) are: Alabama (9, eight with AP and the 1973 vote with UPI) Notre Dame (8), USC and Oklahoma (7), Miami, Nebraska and Ohio State (5), Texas and Minnesota (4), Florida and LSU (3), Florida State, Michigan, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Army, Tennessee and Auburn (2).

System No. 3: The Big Four
Two other entities eventually joined the AP, and USA Today/ESPN/Coaches poll (formerly UPI) as the four that are officially recognized by the NCAA when it comes to awarding national titles.

Since 1954, The Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) has presented the Grantland Rice Award. And since 1959, The National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame has awarded the MacArthur Bowl.

Since 1971, both of these organizations have had the same consensus champion as the AP or coaches poll, but there were exceptions prior to that:

• The Football Writers Association of America in 1970 awarded the MacArthur Bowl to Ohio State — even though the Buckeyes lost 27-17 to Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

• In 1964, Notre Dame was presented the MacArthur Bowl — despite the controversial season-ending loss to USC. As with Ohio State in 1970, this is not recognized as a consensus title but as a share of one.

• In fact, in 1964 the AP and UPI voted Alabama No. 1, the MacArthur Bowl was earned by Notre Dame, and the FWAA awarded it to unbeaten Arkansas, which unlike the Crimson Tide and Irish, finished unbeaten.

However, Alabama was considered the consensus champ while Notre Dame and Arkansas could claim a share of the national title. Arkansas celebrates 1964 as a “national title year” in its football media guide, whereas Notre Dame does not because it’s not “consensus.”

So when you use “The Big Four” from the NCAA, Notre Dame ties Alabama with nine apiece because of the 1964 MacArthur Bowl that was awarded to the Irish. However, Notre Dame has not recognized that as a “consensus” title, thereby only adding the ones under Knute Rockne from 1924, 1929 and 1930 to the eight others since 1943. If it wanted to, it could publicize as many as 21 — just as Alabama does with its “15.” The Crimson Tide can even take it up to 18 if it wants.

Whatever system or spin doctoring one chooses, Notre Dame still has the most national titles since the start of the 20th century.

Right now, all that matters is winning a 9th or 10th …13th … or 22nd … or however you want to define it, on Jan. 7."  Lou Somogyi

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 8  Next >