Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Post New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Is Redskins a slur?

Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 4:45 PM

Is Redskins a slur? 


Interesting piece on the Redskin case and the legal interpretation of what constitutes a slur. Excerpt:

Here is what the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, ruling Wednesday in a case first filed more than 20 years ago, tried to show the real world:

— What matters is if "Redskins" is disparaging to Native Americans — whether other ethnic groups are offended doesn't matter.

— A "substantial" percentage of Native Americans must be offended — not a majority. The judges defined that threshold at 30 percent.

— A disparaging term does not require intent: "Redskins" can still be disparaging even if the team says it is intended to show honor and respect.

Based on testimony from linguistics and lexicography experts, and a review of how the term was used in dictionaries, books, newspapers, magazines and movies, the board ruled 2-1 that the term was disparaging to Native Americans.

The dissenting opinion was not a ringing endorsement of the term: "I am not suggesting that the term "redskins" was not disparaging ... Rather, my conclusion is that the evidence petitioners put forth fails to show that it was," the judge wrote.
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 4:51 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Just a matter of time before the team name will change, but I wish people would stop holding on to the name as if it wasn't archaic and a slur. I'm happy the wheels are in motion.

Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 5:05 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


home games use Redskins, away game use Whiteskins, bye week, no skins in the game ..
I simply sip scotch until another miracle recruiting class signs ...

Posted: 6/21/2014 5:36 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Just change it to the Washington Warriors and move on with life. 

Too easy and simple I know.
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 5:45 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 



CCjkt wrote: Just change it to the Washington Warriors and move on with life. 

Too easy and simple I know.
If you can figure out a way to do that while making Snyder believe that he won, you could be onto something.

wink

Posted: 6/21/2014 5:46 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


+1

---------------------------------------------
--- PJLazy wrote:

Just a matter of time before the team name will change, but I wish people would stop holding on to the name as if it wasn't archaic and a slur. I'm happy the wheels are in motion.

---------------------------------------------
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 6:04 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 



TBuzz wrote: +1

---------------------------------------------
--- PJLazy wrote:

Just a matter of time before the team name will change, but I wish people would stop holding on to the name as if it wasn't archaic and a slur. I'm happy the wheels are in motion.

---------------------------------------------
I think that Snyder and the Redskins organization will come out on top on this one way or the other if they simply put up a fight.  Assuming that they appeal the decision, one of two things is going to happen:
  1. They win the appeal, Snyder becomes a hero to a lot of people, and Redskins gear sells like crazy.
  2. They lose the appeal, Snyder makes a bunch of noise and becomes a martyr, and Redskins gear sells like crazy while the name transition takes place.

If he doesn't a put up a fight about this, he looks like a wuss, and that would turn his cheerleaders off.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.  - Mark Twain

Last edited 6/21/2014 6:05 PM by 79rat95grad

Posted: 6/21/2014 6:12 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Just change it to the "Washington Foreskins" and move on!

It is amazing how words such as "thug" are now considered to be racial slurs. A "thug" was a member of a secret criminal in India several hundred years ago and had nothing to do with blacks, and now it is equivalent to the "N" word.

I resent being called "redneck", maybe I have a lawsuit against Jeff Foxworthy.
  • GTime
  • Member
  • 1256 posts this site

Posted: 6/21/2014 8:43 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Didn't this same board try this several years ago and it was overturned in the courts. I don't trust any politically appointed board imposing their narrow views on the majority. IMHO this is just a tactic to divert attention away from this administration and real problems. Also there is the question of taking material rights and income from a private owner.

Posted: 6/21/2014 8:58 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


The courts previously ruled in favor of the Redskins, but in todays political climate who knows. The appeal will take some time, maybe as long as two years.

Posted: 6/21/2014 9:10 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 





---------------------------------------------
--- GTime wrote:

Didn't this same board try this several years ago and it was overturned in the courts. I don't trust any politically appointed board imposing their narrow views on the majority. IMHO this is just a tactic to divert attention away from this administration and real problems. Also there is the question of taking material rights and income from a private owner.

---------------------------------------------

It was overturned on a technicality. They basically ruled that the people who sued had we're too old and had waited too long to file.
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 10:06 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Just read something that said that the name "Oklahoma" meant Redskins in Chippewa or some Indian dialect.

And quite a few high schools in Oklahoma use Redskins as their nickname and look on that name as honoring their Indian heritage.

Lots of unintended consequences are on the horizon here...........................
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 10:07 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Change the name and then sell a butt load of merchandise with the new name and sell a ton of closeout Redskins gear.  Money grab.
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 10:16 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 



gt1973 wrote: Just read something that said that the name "Oklahoma" meant Redskins in Chippewa or some Indian dialect.

And quite a few high schools in Oklahoma use Redskins as their nickname and look on that name as honoring their Indian heritage.

Lots of unintended consequences are on the horizon here...........................
Can you please describe one unintended consequence?

Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:01 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 



gt1973 wrote: Just read something that said that the name "Oklahoma" meant Redskins in Chippewa or some Indian dialect.

And quite a few high schools in Oklahoma use Redskins as their nickname and look on that name as honoring their Indian heritage.

Lots of unintended consequences are on the horizon here...........................
I think that you're reaching and being dramatic.

The Washington Redskins can no longer trademark the name. That's all that's going on here. It isn't illegal to use the name, and it isn't going to be illegal to use it in the future.  High schools can still make Redskins t-shirts and cheer on their Redskins teams.  There isn't a federal law being passed that's going to cause high schools (or the NFL Washington franchise) that use the Redskins name as a mascot to change their name.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.  - Mark Twain

Last edited 6/21/2014 11:05 PM by 79rat95grad

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:28 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 



PJLazy wrote:
gt1973 wrote: Just read something that said that the name "Oklahoma" meant Redskins in Chippewa or some Indian dialect.

And quite a few high schools in Oklahoma use Redskins as their nickname and look on that name as honoring their Indian heritage.

Lots of unintended consequences are on the horizon here...........................
Can you please describe one unintended consequence?
The language in the US Code (Title 15, subchapter 1502) says a trademark can be rescinded if it "Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; ".  Now if this were a new application, there's not really any harm, but I don't think anybody can argue with a straight face that this isn't a pretty serious financial blow to an organization that's had this name for decades.

Now with that language in mind, do you really want some panel of unelected bureaucrats to start using that power in this manner with no regard for history or precedent?  One might decide that the Playboy bunny represents something immoral; buh bye.  Perhaps a company like Monsanto is scandalous by its very nature and the controversy it generates, so they lose trademark rights.  People cheering this should examine the method and not ignore it just because they're pleased with the outcome.  There's a lot of gray area in that language, just like there is when deciding if something is derogatory or not.  Be careful what you wish for.

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:52 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 



Peachtreebuzz40 wrote: Just change it to the "Washington Foreskins" and move on!

It is amazing how words such as "thug" are now considered to be racial slurs. A "thug" was a member of a secret criminal in India several hundred years ago and had nothing to do with blacks, and now it is equivalent to the "N" word.

I resent being called "redneck", maybe I have a lawsuit against Jeff Foxworthy.



http://www.trademarkia.com/barney-google-and-snuff y-smith-71412555.html

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:57 PM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


Just as long as no one takes a look at the "Atlanta Crackers"!excited
Avatar

Posted: 6/22/2014 12:09 AM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 


The way to get the name changed is to have a groundswell of people in the D.C. area demand it be done.  ...but that ain't happening because they either (a) don't care, or (b) like the name.  SO - people in the government who have no business in the whole affair are getting involved.  mad
______________________________________________________________________________
“Someone asked me what I missed about Memphis, and I said: everything.”        - Elvis Presley

Posted: 6/22/2014 1:06 AM

Re: Is Redskins a slur? 





---------------------------------------------
--- Flats wrote:


PJLazy wrote:
gt1973 wrote: Just read something that said that the name "Oklahoma" meant Redskins in Chippewa or some Indian dialect.

And quite a few high schools in Oklahoma use Redskins as their nickname and look on that name as honoring their Indian heritage.

Lots of unintended consequences are on the horizon here...........................
Can you please describe one unintended consequence?
The language in the US Code (Title 15, subchapter 1502) says a trademark can be rescinded if it "Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; ".  Now if this were a new application, there's not really any harm, but I don't think anybody can argue with a straight face that this isn't a pretty serious financial blow to an organization that's had this name for decades.

Now with that language in mind, do you really want some panel of unelected bureaucrats to start using that power in this manner with no regard for history or precedent?  One might decide that the Playboy bunny represents something immoral; buh bye.  Perhaps a company like Monsanto is scandalous by its very nature and the controversy it generates, so they lose trademark rights.  People cheering this should examine the method and not ignore it just because they're pleased with the outcome.  There's a lot of gray area in that language, just like there is when deciding if something is derogatory or not.  Be careful what you wish for.


---------------------------------------------
You've got iit backwards. If you are worried about the effect a group of bureaucrats can have, you should worry about the fact that several years ago, a group of bureaucrats decided no one, except the redskins organization, can use a combination of words and images, without paying that organization. That group of bureaucrats decided that certain speech was no longer free.

Taking away trademark protections is a reduction of government interference, and the power of bureaucrats.
Post New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >