Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience?

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:13 PM

Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


For the first time since 1990, I'm not buying season tickets.  I feel bad not supporting the program by buying season tickets but I just couldn't justify doing it.  The truth is the experience just isn't worth what it was costing and I blame the Tech Fund not anything on the field. I'm curious if any of you have experienced the same thing? 

I understood our need for revenue but the Tech experience was effected in 2 major ways.

1.  Prior to Tech Fund, the best fans sat in the best seats.  One of the number one reasons I bought season tickets was to enjoy cheering on GT with other Tech fans.  How great was it, to enjoy season after season with the same loyal fans in your section.  Sure every now and then, a fan of the opponent or single game fan would pop in but it was a very rare thing.  Even when we were playing Clemson, UGA you could count on your section be filled with 80-90% GT fans.  At the UGA game this year, my section(124) was probably 45% GT and most of the GT fans around us were people I'd never seen before.  

Have others experienced this as well? I would say this factor alone makes games half as much fun as they used to be for me and family. 

2.  Prior to the Tech Fund, we bought more season tickets than we needed.  I used to buy 4 tickets in Section 124 even though I probably only needed 2, some seasons I bought 6, after the Tech Fund, I went to only 2.  I have to believe that while we realized increased revenue from Tech Fund, we did lose a number of season ticket sales because of it. Since I only had 2 tickets, I couldn't invite friends as often and I was less likely to "create" a new Tech fan.  

Last year I tried going with 4 tickets in Section 124, with hopes of recreating the magic.  At a cost of just over $2K, the experience just didn't justify it for me.  What was even more frustrating was seeing tickets provided through the GTAA on stub hub for face with no Tech Fund fee built-in.  

Does anyone share this experience?  Did the Tech Fund ruin your section?  Maybe I'm just eek1
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:22 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


stop whining.tongue

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:38 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


I don't fault your logic (maybe we GT fans are just TOO logical)

But UGA and most of the rest of the SEC sells a ton more tickets with more expensive contribution mandates. So does Clemson and VT and FSU. Hard to say you want to compete with those schools - maybe even blame our administration for not doing enough - yet not want to ante up.

Again, I completely see your argument, but this is big time college football - like it or not.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:47 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


Have had season tickets since 1981 , I still enjoy the games.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:48 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


I understand that other schools have much larger contribution mandates but they have a market for it, we don't. Since we didn't have a market for the offering, I believe it has hurt the experience. I understand that the Tech Fund generated additional revenue, but it did cost us some revenue in the form of lower season ticket sales, that's a given. The bigger question is how much has it hurt the overall game day product, from my vantage point it hurt a lot.

Last edited 8/5/2014 3:49 PM by AxeGT

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:50 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


Got my first pair of season tickets this year.  I'm not a fan of the Tech fund, but I'm a fan of Tech.

noidea
- --- .... . .-.. .-.. .-- .. - .... --. . --- .-. --. .. .-
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:52 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 



AxeGT wrote: For the first time since 1990, I'm not buying season tickets.  I feel bad not supporting the program by buying season tickets but I just couldn't justify doing it.  The truth is the experience just isn't worth what it was costing and I blame the Tech Fund not anything on the field. I'm curious if any of you have experienced the same thing? 

I understood our need for revenue but the Tech experience was effected in 2 major ways.

1.  Prior to Tech Fund, the best fans sat in the best seats.  One of the number one reasons I bought season tickets was to enjoy cheering on GT with other Tech fans.  How great was it, to enjoy season after season with the same loyal fans in your section.  Sure every now and then, a fan of the opponent or single game fan would pop in but it was a very rare thing.  Even when we were playing Clemson, UGA you could count on your section be filled with 80-90% GT fans.  At the UGA game this year, my section(124) was probably 45% GT and most of the GT fans around us were people I'd never seen before.  

Have others experienced this as well? I would say this factor alone makes games half as much fun as they used to be for me and family. 

2.  Prior to the Tech Fund, we bought more season tickets than we needed.  I used to buy 4 tickets in Section 124 even though I probably only needed 2, some seasons I bought 6, after the Tech Fund, I went to only 2.  I have to believe that while we realized increased revenue from Tech Fund, we did lose a number of season ticket sales because of it. Since I only had 2 tickets, I couldn't invite friends as often and I was less likely to "create" a new Tech fan.  

Last year I tried going with 4 tickets in Section 124, with hopes of recreating the magic.  At a cost of just over $2K, the experience just didn't justify it for me.  What was even more frustrating was seeing tickets provided through the GTAA on stub hub for face with no Tech Fund fee built-in.  

Does anyone share this experience?  Did the Tech Fund ruin your section?  Maybe I'm just eek1
Personally I don't think 124 is all that bad, and the experience isn't that different from before when we were one section closer to the 50 (before club seats).  We stand the whole game, and it's a pretty fun section.  I also have 4 tickets. You can't get tickets on the 22 yard line for under $2K at nearly any of our peers.  While it's not cheap, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.  It's much improved now that every other year no longer has a weak schedule.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:58 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


GTWreck, are you in the bottom of 124? It seems like the bottom of 124 and 123 are more solidly GT, I'm in the top of 124. I didn't see the same person twice all season long among my row, the row in front of me or behind me.

I'm having that itch to get tickets again, maybe I need to turn this thread into, "Where can a GT fan find some GT fans to sit with inside Bobby Dodd Stadium?"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 3:59 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


Its kinda like World War II War Bonds. We need you and your money in Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 4:18 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


What ruins my game day experience is people who complain constantly during the game. They are usually loud, know-it-alls and almost never cheer. They start within the first few plays.. and get louder. Regardless of the state of affairs on the field.

They seem to show up only to vent their frustration. If we scored on every play and had a three-and-out for negative yardage on defense every series, I honestly think some of them would be disappointed. Their idea of "fun" seems to be finding way to proclaim loudly in public how much smarter and better they are than everyone else.

When I stop going it will be because I can't stand my miserable Tech "fan" brethren any longer.

Fortunately, there are only a 8-10 in my section, but they're enough.

"Think about how dumb the average guy is.... Then think about the fact that half of the people are dumber than that......

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" 

- George Carlin

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 4:34 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


So I was not a fan of the Tech Fund when they created it; just prior, I (when I got my first job) made a $10K pledge to the Athletic Association in order to move way up the season ticket pecking order.  However, the Tech Fund kind of killed that.  Had I known we were moving away from AT Point seating, I probably wouldn't have made that big a contribution while making a tiny salary as a government civilian for the first few years after college.
Since then, I have resided in Section 215 directly above the band (below the aisle) and the fans in our sections may not make forced donations, but I see many of them regularly.  Not many blowhards, but most sit for a large part of the game.
I wouldn't say it ruined my experience, but it majorly disappointed me.  I haven't cut my season tickets though in 10 years, and I haven't lived in in Atlanta since then.  I like the seats I have now, but wouldn't have minded sitting on the 30 yard line in the West stands (less sunburn) either.

--
And the peasants rejoiced!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 4:36 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 



shipreck wrote: What ruins my game day experience is people who complain constantly during the game. They are usually loud, know-it-alls and almost never cheer. They start within the first few plays.. and get louder. Regardless of the state of affairs on the field.

They seem to show up only to vent their frustration. If we scored on every play and had a three-and-out for negative yardage on defense every series, I honestly think some of them would be disappointed. Their idea of "fun" seems to be finding way to proclaim loudly in public how much smarter and better they are than everyone else.

When I stop going it will be because I can't stand my miserable Tech "fan" brethren any longer.

Fortunately, there are only a 8-10 in my section, but they're enough.
I hear you. I will never forget a couple of these miserable types that used to sit near me way back in the day. We had a so-so team in 1986 under Bill Curry and were playing a so-so NC State team. It was one of those days where everything went well, and we ended up winning 59-21. Sometime in the second quarter, we were killing them, maybe 24-0 with about 300 yards of offense already. We ran some sort of running play that got stuffed for no gain, and one of them started out with his typical  "what the blankety-blank kind of call was that Curry, you moron" with his foghorn voice. I just couldn't take it any more and turned to him and asked him if he had been watching the game and had any idea what the score was and how the game was going. I think I might have embarrassed him enough that he shut up for a quarter or so, but that was only due to the fact we put up 59. 

By the next week, they were back to that sort of reaction to every play that didn't gain at least 5 or 6 yards. It must be pretty depressing to be that miserable going through life.

Helena Engineer
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 4:44 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


Funny, just discussed this issue with someone at lunch. We were talking about the negativity in the fan base and he theorized that it has a lot to do with the cost associated with attending the games. This thread makes me think he was on to something...

I will say this, as a sidewalk fan I have a hard time spending the money required to have good tickets. I had tickets for a number of years but in '03 when they did the reseating the cost associated with our seats wasn't worth it. Haven't had season tickets since.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 4:56 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


This comes up from time to time.

I usually buy the cheap seats, because the economy has eliminated my ability to buy Tech Fund seats.  However, I haven't experienced these horrible people that others complain about.

Maybe as someone else said, the whining goes up in proportion to the price.

shipreck wrote: What ruins my game day experience is people who complain constantly during the game. They are usually loud, know-it-alls and almost never cheer. They start within the first few plays.. and get louder. Regardless of the state of affairs on the field.

They seem to show up only to vent their frustration. If we scored on every play and had a three-and-out for negative yardage on defense every series, I honestly think some of them would be disappointed. Their idea of "fun" seems to be finding way to proclaim loudly in public how much smarter and better they are than everyone else.

When I stop going it will be because I can't stand my miserable Tech "fan" brethren any longer.

Fortunately, there are only a 8-10 in my section, but they're enough.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 5:15 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 



AxeGT wrote: GTWreck, are you in the bottom of 124? It seems like the bottom of 124 and 123 are more solidly GT, I'm in the top of 124. I didn't see the same person twice all season long among my row, the row in front of me or behind me.

I'm having that itch to get tickets again, maybe I need to turn this thread into, "Where can a GT fan find some GT fans to sit with inside Bobby Dodd Stadium?"
Row 4 and 5.  A couple seats away from GTFireball.  I highly recommend the bottom 10 rows.  Sitelines are good in my row.  And I often get on TV from the neck down when the ball is on the 20 due to the camera position.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 5:33 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 



swarmee wrote: ..., I have resided in Section 215 directly above the band (below the aisle) and the fans in our sections may not make forced donations, but I see many of them regularly.  Not many blowhards, but most sit for a large part of the game.
I'm right beside you in 214 below the walkway, no Tech Fund contribution. Going on my 5th consecutive year in these seats and we've been happy with them. Very few opposing fans and for the most part we see the same people each week and everyone cheers hard for the Jackets.

To OP I would say that there are few 'bad seats' IMO in BDS compared to the 100,000 seat stadiums and you can buy GT season tickets without donating to Tech Fund if you don't think it's worth it. If you can stomach not having precious lower sideline seats you'll still find great fans in places like the upper north. I buy extra tickets to several games a year and bring friends since I agree with OP that it's more fun that way and it would be easier to do that when the seats cast %50 of what you've been paying.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 5:43 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 



shipreck wrote: What ruins my game day experience is people who complain constantly during the game. They are usually loud, know-it-alls and almost never cheer. They start within the first few plays.. and get louder. Regardless of the state of affairs on the field.

They seem to show up only to vent their frustration. If we scored on every play and had a three-and-out for negative yardage on defense every series, I honestly think some of them would be disappointed. Their idea of "fun" seems to be finding way to proclaim loudly in public how much smarter and better they are than everyone else.

When I stop going it will be because I can't stand my miserable Tech "fan" brethren any longer.

Fortunately, there are only a 8-10 in my section, but they're enough.
I've heard this complaint many times on this board, but in 10+ years I've been fortunate enough not to had experienced it first hand.

I"m in a non Tech fund area so the tickets prices aren't that bad.  What upsets me more then anything are the BS games as I feel like I've completely wasted money and find myself incredibly bored, as well as the $25 I have to pay to park.  For some reason, the parking fee just rubs me the wrong way.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/5/2014 5:50 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 



FreddyBee2 wrote: I don't fault your logic (maybe we GT fans are just TOO logical)

But UGA and most of the rest of the SEC sells a ton more tickets with more expensive contribution mandates. So does Clemson and VT and FSU. Hard to say you want to compete with those schools - maybe even blame our administration for not doing enough - yet not want to ante up.

Again, I completely see your argument, but this is big time college football - like it or not.
Good point by FreddyBee2

I rip on Michael Carvell as much as anyone, but I thought he made a pretty good point in an opinion piece today about it being time for UGA to build an indoor practice facility.

"Few people realize this: Nick Saban created a dynasty at Alabama, but it’s not just because of his coaching or recruiting. Since 2007, university leaders and boosters have committed tens of millions of dollars toward top-notch facilities (new strength-and-conditioning center, an expanded indoor facility, new locker rooms at stadium, etc.) and other football-related needs. It’s not a coincidence Alabama’s ascension to the top under Saban has been accompanied with a tremendous commitment toward resources."

Now I'm sure this will set off the usual pissing match about Paul Johnson not being Nick Saban or we don't have Bama's results or we don't have enough majors, but of course anybody who goes down that path doesn't get the point.

Without the continuing financial support of all of us, big time boosters to non Tech Fund fans, we put GT at a disadvantage.

If Tech Fund is screwing up your experience, than I'm sorry to hear that.  That said, I hope you'll choose to use the funds otherwise spent to pick up cheap tickets to go to the games and maybe with the remaining portion, donate to A-T Fund.

If the economy makes you unable to continue buying season tickets, totally understandable.  I hope you keep watching every game on TV and maybe take what you can afford and donate to A-T Fund.

I can understand if there's some sort of economic or cost/benefit rationale for pulling back on season ticket purchases.  Totally understandable & justifiable.  I hope you either continue financial support or reignite it when you can afford to again.

And this is not meant towards the OP, because I think his cost/benefit rationale is reasonable and that's why I'd hope he continues to support financially in other ways.  However, the next time a person, especially a GT alum, posts or boasts how they're pulling their financial support for GT athletics because of on-field results they should A) consider the Nick Saban commentary above regarding what tremendous resources brings and B) shove it since they're about as committed to GT athletics as an 18-year old kid who commits to a program and then flips before signing day.

Shots fired.  Feel free to flame away.
Reply | Quote
  • Dash12
  • Member
  • 4093 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 5:52 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


chicken-egg-cart-horse. No market for Tech fund because we can't beat UGA therefore our fans won't pay to get good enough bag-men and tutors to get good enough to beat UGA to make the Tech Fund worth it.

I haven't done the business case, but on the surface my guess is we wouldn't be sticking with the Tech Fund if it was consistently a net loss. Yes some people are donating less and some are scared away but either it's a net positive or the ability to more accurately predict cash flow is worth it to the GTAA for budgeting purposes.

I have been sitting in 128 for at least 10 years and opposing fans have always been there. I could care less if I'm completely surrounded by dwags if we are winning.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/5/2014 5:59 PM

Re: Did the Tech Fund ruin your gameday experience? 


No. Pretty much came down to 7-win seasons and losing to Georgie every year.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
-Mark Twain

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >