Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Alex Smith

  • Reddog7
  • Big Red Alumni
  • 2640 posts this site

Posted: 11/26/2012 4:35 PM

Alex Smith 


Okay let me say upfront as a disclaimer that this post is not intended at all to be critical of the QB change by Harbaugh. Colin is proving to be no flash in the pan (thus far). Now with that out of the way, I've voiced in favor of Alex in the past and he was a major part of my thinking prior to the start of the season in predicting the 49ers. And now that he's been benched, Harbaugh has, IMO, created a golden opportunity for some team to acquire a talented young QB to lead their team, and the Cardinals should jump at the chance when he becomes available......even if it means dumping Kolb and/or Skelton to free up some money. Alex is due a lot of money if I recall correctly and the niners aren't likely to want to pay. Ideally it's always best to have your own home grown QB who grew up in the system (i.e. Aaron Rogers, etc.), but with Alex, a team would not be acquiring another cast off in hopes that it works out. His ability to lead is now a matter of record, and an impressive one at that under his new coach. And he's only 28 yrs old. I think it would be irresponsible for any team with serious QB issues to not go after this guy. I can't see him staying with the 9ers after being benched this way following an injury. First he had to witness an effort to get Manning, and now after leading the team to post season last year and putting them on track to repeat this season.......he gets moved down the chart after being injured. Some team stands to gain here and I sure hope it's us.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/26/2012 9:01 PM

Re: Alex Smith 


Negative. Lindley looked poised albeit the int's. They were not all his fault. Kolb will return soon too. No way we pursue Smith. Nip that in the bud. It's gonna be one or the other going forward. Depending of course on the sure to be coaching changes which undoubtably are coming.
John Motorcycle Cardinals
Reply | Quote
  • Reddog7
  • Big Red Alumni
  • 2640 posts this site

Posted: 11/26/2012 11:22 PM

Re: Alex Smith 



Idahocard wrote: Negative. Lindley looked poised albeit the int's. They were not all his fault. Kolb will return soon too. No way we pursue Smith. Nip that in the bud. It's gonna be one or the other going forward. Depending of course on the sure to be coaching changes which undoubtably are coming.
It's about pursuing your best options to win. Going after a quality QB like Alex doesn't speak against Lindley's potential whatever it may be. As for Kolb (who I do like as well as Lindley by the way) when was the last time he led a team to postseason and followed up the following season putting his team on track for another run? To say no way we pursue Alex as an option if he becomes available (as it looks most assuredly that he will) is blind loyalty that's out of touch with the goal of winning. And remember your initial response when I predicted the 49ers this season? You saw that as out of the question as well as I recall my friend.......and look where we are now?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 4:22 PM

Re: Alex Smith 



Reddog7 wrote:
It's about pursuing your best options to win. Going after a quality QB like Alex doesn't speak against Lindley's potential whatever it may be. As for Kolb (who I do like as well as Lindley by the way) when was the last time he led a team to postseason and followed up the following season putting his team on track for another run? To say no way we pursue Alex as an option if he becomes available (as it looks most assuredly that he will) is blind loyalty that's out of touch with the goal of winning. And remember your initial response when I predicted the 49ers this season? You saw that as out of the question as well as I recall my friend.......and look where we are now?
I don't see Alex as anything more than average. He is no John Brodie for sure. As for Kolb, no preseason to get acclimated to our system last year. Then he guides us to our only victories this year before that illustrious OL reverts to marshmallows and again he is sidelined. You can't pass on your back. We have a lot invested in him in case you haven't heard. Stay the course with Lindley for the time being. Season is over anyway. As for your prediction, so? That organization continues to get all the love from the majority of so-called sports writers and hacks out there. Nothing has changed since the shameful era of debartalo. Screw that outfit.
John Motorcycle Cardinals
Reply | Quote
  • Reddog7
  • Big Red Alumni
  • 2640 posts this site

Posted: 11/27/2012 5:56 PM

Re: Alex Smith 



Idahocard wrote:
I don't see Alex as anything more than average. He is no John Brodie for sure. As for Kolb, no preseason to get acclimated to our system last year. Then he guides us to our only victories this year before that illustrious OL reverts to marshmallows and again he is sidelined. You can't pass on your back. We have a lot invested in him in case you haven't heard. Stay the course with Lindley for the time being. Season is over anyway. As for your prediction, so? That organization continues to get all the love from the majority of so-called sports writers and hacks out there. Nothing has changed since the shameful era of debartalo. Screw that outfit.
Well not to bash our team on the one hand nor on other extreme of being a homer regardless of the facts.......the 49ers AND Alex deserve due credit. In response to the question "so"?.......that organization made adjustments and are enjoying the rewards of doing so, hate em' or not. We on the other hand are watching our team continue to erode from promise. So again, to say don't go after a QB like Alex when he becomes available would be short sighted. Kolb has shown flashes but also has been inconsistent. I think Lindley actually shows more promise and I would personally prefer at this point that he remain the starter. That's one thing I admired about coach Carroll here in Seattle. He made the gutsy call to name a rookie QB before the season started even given that they went out and got a promising looking Matt Flynn from Green Bay. And they are playing good football. At the end of preseason I was quietly hoping Whisenhunt would have done the same where Lindley was concerned based on what I saw during preseason. And now here we are. But even given my faith at this point in Lindley and the promise I think he offers, I think it would still be irresponsible to pass on a quality QB like Alex who would offer greater odds at this point. We should go after him for the same reasons we courted Manning, the comparison being that of going after a proven leader who offers the chance to win "now". I'm as confident about this suggestion as I was in predicting our rival as favorites. It wasn't easy giving them such credit early on but let's face it.......the truth never is. They're the better team this season and with a quality QB to spare.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/27/2012 7:11 PM

Re: Alex Smith 



Reddog7 wrote:
Well not to bash our team on the one hand nor on other extreme of being a homer regardless of the facts.......the 49ers AND Alex deserve due credit. In response to the question "so"?.......that organization made adjustments and are enjoying the rewards of doing so, hate em' or not. We on the other hand are watching our team continue to erode from promise. So again, to say don't go after a QB like Alex when he becomes available would be short sighted. Kolb has shown flashes but also has been inconsistent. I think Lindley actually shows more promise and I would personally prefer at this point that he remain the starter. That's one thing I admired about coach Carroll here in Seattle. He made the gutsy call to name a rookie QB before the season started even given that they went out and got a promising looking Matt Flynn from Green Bay. And they are playing good football. At the end of preseason I was quietly hoping Whisenhunt would have done the same where Lindley was concerned based on what I saw during preseason. And now here we are. But even given my faith at this point in Lindley and the promise I think he offers, I think it would still be irresponsible to pass on a quality QB like Alex who would offer greater odds at this point. We should go after him for the same reasons we courted Manning, the comparison being that of going after a proven leader who offers the chance to win "now". I'm as confident about this suggestion as I was in predicting our rival as favorites. It wasn't easy giving them such credit early on but let's face it.......the truth never is. They're the better team this season and with a quality QB to spare.
We are invested with Kolb. End of that discussion. Again, alluding to Smith, what has he done? Look at his career. Down, up, sideways and every which way. Nyet to pursuing this guy. Proven leader he is not. As for your comment about winning "now"?, kinda get your drift there man but I want us to be a dominant team way into the future. Lindley was picked in the 6th round. Same as some dude who is dominant on the East Coast. Ya just never know. BTW, the greatest QB ever, Johnny Unitas, went in round 7.
John Motorcycle Cardinals
Reply | Quote
  • Reddog7
  • Big Red Alumni
  • 2640 posts this site

Posted: 11/27/2012 8:52 PM

Re: Alex Smith 



Idahocard wrote:
We are invested with Kolb. End of that discussion.

-Sorry my friend but your dismissive attempt here contradicts reality. Kolb is an ongoing discussion with some major questions still to be answered.....is he in fact the franchise QB we are hoping for? Can he lead the Cards into postseason? And can he ever get healthy enough and stay healthy enough to do so? Regarding the last sentence, I saw a headline earlier today that it looks like he's out for a few more weeks. That's pretty much the rest of the season. 


Again, alluding to Smith, what has he done? Look at his career. Down, up, sideways and every which way. Nyet to pursuing this guy. Proven leader he is not.

-So the 49ers making the playoffs last season had nothing to do with Alex at QB?






-Lindley would make the ideal candidate if he's successful. It's better to have your own home grown (i.e. Brady, Big Ben, Hasselbeck). But then like you said, "you never know". That fact goes both ways though Idaho, which is why when someone who's shown the ability to win becomes immediately available, you can't just dismiss the idea when confronted with a situation like ours. Again, that's why teams who had QB issues courted Manning. No QB on our roster since Warner has shown this ability as of yet (not to include Lindley as he's only a rookie fresh out the gate). That's a long time. So barring some unexpected outstanding play by Lindley, don't be surprised if Alex or Vick are in the news as possible Cardinals next season. I guess I just made another prediction......sort of. 

Last edited 11/27/2012 8:56 PM by Reddog7

Reply | Quote
  • Reddog7
  • Big Red Alumni
  • 2640 posts this site

Posted: 1/13/2013 6:18 AM

Re: Alex Smith 


Cards need to get an Alex deal. He doesn't want to stay with the 9ers and is prime for the taking. Get it done and trade Kolb to Buffalo for a future draft choice.
Reply | Quote