Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
  Page of 2  Next >

Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse?

  • BarryMcBride
  • Grunt
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 5 posts this site

Posted: 10/23/2008 11:05 AM

Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


Posted: 10/23/2008 11:28 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


Speaking from experience, - too much time on antibiotics often leads to "other (unintended) problems." Ones that DON'T (may never) clear up after the infection is gone.

Posted: 10/23/2008 1:52 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


" According to the Herald, Brady is on a six-week course of intravenously administered antibiotics, and is still having follow-up exams at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles, where the surgery took place.

If the infection is not brought under control, the patellar tendon graft used to replace Brady's anterior cruciate ligament could become compromised, according to the Herald's report. If that happens, he will have to undergo another surgery on the ACL. That would reset the clock on his rehabilitation. "
Source: ESPN News Services

Geeze........ I sure hope it is not Osteomeyelitis (sp) which, is just about the worst bone infection you can have. Normally treated with a six week regiment of two to three different types of antibiotics.

Posted: 10/23/2008 2:48 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


He should have done what Kraft wanted and gotten treatment in Boston. If this adds a few months to the timeline, we're looking at Cassel/O'Connell as the starters for at least half of next season.

Posted: 10/23/2008 3:00 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


Gonzo I just heard the Patriots are pissed off ( not sure if at Brady or just in general ) that the knee needed two more procedures. They wanted the surgery done in Boston and not LA. It said it will take months, not weeks, to fix it right. Yikes. This could get VERY interesting.

Posted: 10/23/2008 3:13 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


You read on ESPN.com that the Pats are angry.

Do you really think ESPN has any decent access to the Pats after the way they handled the debacle with the alleged walk through tape?

There is fire behind this story, but I would not be looking for it through ESPN's smoke.

Last edited 10/23/2008 3:16 PM by Vabthang5

Posted: 10/23/2008 3:13 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


One has to wonder about the O'Connell draft pick more and more with what's going on. Not just TB's injury, but how he dealt with it.

Posted: 10/23/2008 3:29 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


I don't know Vabthang, but I saw it on ESPN and not ESPN.com ( same difference I know ). Say what you want about ESPN, but Wendi Nix did the story, and she definitely has Boston ties. I am not saying it is true, I just saw it reported that's all.
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 10/23/2008 3:44 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



dokgonzo wrote: One has to wonder about the O'Connell draft pick more and more with what's going on. Not just TB's injury, but how he dealt with it.

Re - OConnell -Earlier I posted a thread on this.
Its hardly a "moot" point.


There is much more to the story, that happened prior imo, 
and Mr.Kraft is a business man first and foremost.
His response about " insurance" for the OConnel pick stayed with me.


I feel he wanted Brady to be operated on during the winter, but for any number of reasons including Bradys fashion contracts, he chose to go to Europe.

Either way, why Brady didnt have it operated on at Mass.General or a fine hospital in NYC is kind of surprising.




.

Posted: 10/23/2008 3:48 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


You make a good point. Office "channel surfers" dialed up the  ESPN reports/story. ESPN had a taped interview (Audio only)  with an MD from Beth Isreal Hospital who advises there has been a third cleaning procedure. It was not good.  Seems yes, the problem is getting worse. 

I do not recall that being an open wound. LA Hospital........., Hummmmmmmmm....Al Davis behind it?  Pats peeved, really peeved !

Posted: 10/23/2008 9:56 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


What are they talking about here? Are they saying if Brady went to a Boston doctor he wouldnt get infection? Brady chose the best possible place in the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic it is world famous and he would of got an infection if he had it done it Boston. Just relax everyone he will be back next year.

  • thepylons
  • Five Star General
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1188 posts this site

Posted: 10/23/2008 10:09 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


----MossIsTheRaiders wrote: ---------------
he would of got an infection if he had it done it Boston.
---------------------------------------------




what kind of crystal ball were you looking into when you typed this?








.
  • thepylons
  • Five Star General
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1188 posts this site

Posted: 10/23/2008 10:10 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 




----Jimbothekid wrote: ---------------
This could get VERY interesting.

---------------------------------------------

jimbothekid- not a brady fan.

the giddiness out there over this setback sickens me.









.

Posted: 10/23/2008 10:38 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



thepylons wrote: ----MossIsTheRaiders wrote: ---------------
he would of got an infection if he had it done it Boston.
---------------------------------------------




what kind of crystal ball were you looking into when you typed this?








.
The infection rates at BI or any of the Partners Hospitals (Mass General Included) are no better than any other academic medical center in the country.  They publish these reports.

His odds of getting the infection here vs there are basically even.

(I work in hospital administration)
  • prat3t
  • Captain
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 212 posts this site

Posted: 10/23/2008 11:25 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


This story can be very discouraging and dejecting to say the least. However, I have faith, that Tom will bounce back from this setback and will play football in the 2009 season. Brady has given all of us a lot to cheer for over the years and he isn't finished. Many of you pride yourselves on being Patriot fans, Brady or not! I'm sorry guys, but if Brady wasn't our QB, we wouldn't win all those championships! Someone said it best, when they said you appreciate someone a lot more when they aren't there....even if we win the superbowl this season, it just wouldn't feel the same because Tom Brady wasn't the one that lead the pack! Tom Brady is the face of this franchise and he isn't finished yet! Tom you are in all of our prayers, God Bless you and I hope you recover safely from this infection and rip up this league next year!

Posted: 10/24/2008 7:16 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


Infection ~

The ESPN Story not withstanding, if TB did have three op's to clear up an infection it IS indeed serious, very serious.

Hospitals, as was posted earlier, post their "problem rates". eg: infections, wrong side surgery, etc. It sure would be nice to think that ALL providers take necessary steps to prevent O.R. 's from spreading diseases.

  • thepylons
  • Five Star General
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1188 posts this site

Posted: 10/24/2008 8:14 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



Vabthang5 wrote:: The infection rates at BI or any of the Partners Hospitals (Mass General Included) are no better than any other academic medical center in the country.  They publish these reports.

His odds of getting the infection here vs there are basically even.

(I work in hospital administration)


sure. i don't think anyone is saying that brady wandered into the only hospital in the nation that was capable of leaving him with a post-operative infection.

infection is a risk with any procedure, large or small. so it follows that every hospital presents that risk.

MITR said something very different. he claimed that brady would absolutely have gotten the same infection at a boston hospital.

i stand by my point that there is no possible way to know that.

in fact, it's quite possible that he would not have gotten the same result from a different hospital.
to suggest otherwise is mere rationalization.








.

Posted: 10/24/2008 8:55 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


I think its his body responding to the surgery so maybe not for sure he would of got an infection in Boston but more than likely he would have the same results and would have an infection.  Let me tell you something I know stress isnt good for Brady its somewhat proven that stress makes you heal slower. He grew up in California and its his home. I think he chose California so he could be close to his family isnt he there right now? If it was me I would choose California too cause the flying back in forth isnt good for him thats stressful. Sure he could stay in Boston and had the surgery but his family isnt in Boston. He probably needs some emotional support after something like this. He is not an animal he is a human being. He should of went to the place where he would feel most comfortable.

Posted: 10/24/2008 9:03 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


I also want to add he probably chose Cali cause he wanted to get out of Boston at this time. Not all the fans are true fans like us. We have lost to Miami and San Diego in somewhat blowouts. Some people are really messed up in the head they  probably blame Brady for these loses or for getting hurt. I am sure hearing all over Boston that if we didnt lose Brady we would of never loss these two games would be stressful. I would of got out of the state for a few months cause to hear that kind of talk such as if we didnt lose Brady talk while your sitting with your leg cut open isnt easy. I hope Brady doesnt feel like he let the Patriots fans down. Cause he didnt just bad luck

Posted: 10/24/2008 9:16 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



Vabthang5 wrote:
thepylons wrote: ----MossIsTheRaiders wrote: ---------------
he would of got an infection if he had it done it Boston.
---------------------------------------------




what kind of crystal ball were you looking into when you typed this?








.
The infection rates at BI or any of the Partners Hospitals (Mass General Included) are no better than any other academic medical center in the country.  They publish these reports.

His odds of getting the infection here vs there are basically even.

(I work in hospital administration)
Really, not saying your wrong or right...where are these reports that would make you say the odds are even. Does this report compare the two hospitals?

Posted: 10/24/2008 9:49 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


morph there are a lot of good resources.  The BI posts a lot of metrics on their website http://www.bidmc.harvard.edu/Q...ceMeasures.aspx  check out the CEO's blog as well (his name is Paul Leavy).  http://runningahospital.blogspot.com/  he talks openingly about a lot of this.

The Partners stuff is a little harder to find, but you can spend 5 minutes on google and get at most of it.  The best comparison reports I have seen are from a service provided to blue cross/blue shield of MA members (but you have to be a member to use it).

The real interesting part of all of this is that the academic medical centers are no better or safer than the community hospitals when it comes to routine medical issues.


(apologies to everyone else for the non-football talk.)
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 10/24/2008 9:56 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 





Brady has just been set back another six months of rehab, imo.


Hate to say it, but I strongly doubt we will see him playing next season.
  • prat3t
  • Captain
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 212 posts this site

Posted: 10/24/2008 9:56 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


Andrews comments to L.A. Times
Email|Link|Comments (0) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff October 24, 2008 09:24 AM
Noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews comments to the Los Angeles Times today regarding Tom Brady's injured left knee.

Andrews was contacted by Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who performed Brady's surgeries.

"What I gather from talking to Neal today is that Tom's getting better, and what has been done is getting him well," Andrews said in the Times piece.

"Optimistically, once you get this under control and you can save that graft and win the infection battle -- which apparently from what I gather he is winning -- once the healing process catches back up, it really doesn't set him behind to any degree relative to the overall healing process. The main thing is to save the graft."

That is the latest on #12, and if that is any indication of him getting better, let's all be positive and hope he continues to only progress at this point!
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 10/24/2008 10:08 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



MossIsTheRaiders wrote:

I also want to add he probably chose Cali cause he wanted to get out of Boston at this time. Not all the fans are true fans like us. We have lost to Miami and San Diego in somewhat blowouts. Some people are really messed up in the head they  probably blame Brady for these loses or for getting hurt. I am sure hearing all over Boston that if we didnt lose Brady we would of never loss these two games would be stressful. I would of got out of the state for a few months cause to hear that kind of talk such as if we didnt lose Brady talk while your sitting with your leg cut open isnt easy. I hope Brady doesnt feel like he let the Patriots fans down. Cause he didnt just bad luck



You guys are good fans. You know the game, and you know the players.
Brady didnt let us down, Morris did.
He blew the assignment and here we are today.



Some Pats fans want Brady around here because he is holy around here, and thats normal to want that. But He is very badly hurt right now, seriously injured and we can only pray he comes back at all,  but he will be much slower if it happens.



Raiders fans had to deal with losing Gannon to injury.
His is a great story about a qb who became great
but only after a wall was put up in front of him. 
Same thing with Jim Plunkett.




.



.




.
  • drbopper
  • Grunt
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 22 posts this site

Posted: 10/24/2008 11:10 AM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


The reality of these events could not be more dire, with an outcome of unimaginable dimension.  Salvaging this situation with antibiotics is an incredibly difficult task.  TB may never play again.

As to the issue of choice of hospital/surgeons the simple fact is that this was a result of a breach of sterile technique.  In layman's terms a "cluster-f....k" of carelessness, which can happen anywhere.

usernameNEP wrote:

Infection ~

The ESPN Story not withstanding, if TB did have three op's to clear up an infection it IS indeed serious, very serious.

Hospitals, as was posted earlier, post their "problem rates". eg: infections, wrong side surgery, etc. It sure would be nice to think that ALL providers take necessary steps to prevent O.R. 's from spreading diseases.

Posted: 10/24/2008 12:26 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



drbopper wrote:

The reality of these events could not be more dire, with an outcome of unimaginable dimension.  Salvaging this situation with antibiotics is an incredibly difficult task.  TB may never play again.

As to the issue of choice of hospital/surgeons the simple fact is that this was a result of a breach of sterile technique.  In layman's terms a "cluster-f....k" of carelessness, which can happen anywhere.

usernameNEP wrote:

Infection ~

The ESPN Story not withstanding, if TB did have three op's to clear up an infection it IS indeed serious, very serious.

Hospitals, as was posted earlier, post their "problem rates". eg: infections, wrong side surgery, etc. It sure would be nice to think that ALL providers take necessary steps to prevent O.R. 's from spreading diseases.

drbopper ~ Having been through it recently, you my friend are absolutelly rite. I try to paint a brighter picture for the fan when, in reality this infection "could not be more dire" IF we're getting the true facts. Your very serious use of unimaginable dimension is correct.

Posted: 10/24/2008 1:13 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


 You guys need to stop. What will happne if the infection doesn't clear up is that TB will have tro have another ACl operation to remove the screws etc that are put in there and reinsert new ones. That means starting next season with Cassel or Michael Vick, I mean whomever.
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 10/24/2008 2:59 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 



drbopper wrote:

The reality of these events could not be more dire, with an outcome of unimaginable dimension.  Salvaging this situation with antibiotics is an incredibly difficult task.  TB may never play again.

As to the issue of choice of hospital/surgeons the simple fact is that this was a result of a breach of sterile technique.  In layman's terms a "cluster-f....k" of carelessness, which can happen anywhere.

usernameNEP wrote:

Infection ~

The ESPN Story not withstanding, if TB did have three op's to clear up an infection it IS indeed serious, very serious.

Hospitals, as was posted earlier, post their "problem rates". eg: infections, wrong side surgery, etc. It sure would be nice to think that ALL providers take necessary steps to prevent O.R. 's from spreading diseases.



Thanks Dr.


A girlfriend of mine, a nurse,  is credentialled to work in hosptials.
Instead she chooses a lesser paying job in a clinic dispensing medication.


She feels at 40 percent higher pay at the hospital, that her life is in much greater danger there so she resists the calls from the hospital and personnel agencies.
Comforting, isnt it ?




.

Posted: 10/24/2008 4:49 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


I would think the docs that performed this - are taking a VERY close look at their insurance policies.

Posted: 10/24/2008 6:05 PM

Re: Brady's Infection Problem Getting Worse? 


Since the Pats aren't likely to say a great deal about TB, - one way to find out how he "really" is to watch what they do, "if anything" in the off-season in the qb area. Resign Cassel, - pick up another qb???

Last edited 10/24/2008 7:04 PM by Hunter07

  Page of 2  Next >