Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
  Page of 5  Next >

Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins.

Posted: 9/15/2008 12:58 PM

Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Patriotshelmet.gif Patriots Helmet image by The_Show1  vs   md.jpg

Official Game 3 thread. All comments and questions pertaining to the game belongs in this the official game thread.

Some links you can check

Dolphin Digest on Scout.com
Dolphins Forums

Palm Beach Post: (blog- how to beat the pats)
Miami Herald
Sun Sentinel
Florida Today

Last edited 9/20/2008 2:11 PM by JSinCT

Posted: 9/16/2008 8:40 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


The more physical team is going to win.

There is no reason that the Pats should not be the more physical team.

Posted: 9/16/2008 10:13 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Chad pennington is no joke despite what people may think of him. He is a smart QB so forcing him to make mistakes will be very dificult to do. Let us just say a silent prayer that the talent around him is not the best in the world at the moment. Do not take this game lightly.

Posted: 9/16/2008 10:39 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



patfanfrommaine wrote: Chad pennington is no joke despite what people may think of him. He is a smart QB so forcing him to make mistakes will be very dificult to do. Let us just say a silent prayer that the talent around him is not the best in the world at the moment. Do not take this game lightly.

This is very true and I'm sure BB knows this as well. But if the defense plays a well as they did against the Jets...... they'll have another "Chad" controversy on their hands in Florida.

Posted: 9/16/2008 10:59 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


I wonder how this team would play it out if they ever fall behind by 14 points or more.

Posted: 9/16/2008 11:01 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


The Pats D should rule the day. This game should show us a lot about Cassel.  I'm looking for him to show a bit more since the Phins can be passed on.  Somehow I think we'll still have way to much reason to watch this game all the way through....but Pats prevail sonething like 24 - 13.
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/16/2008 1:55 PM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



patfanfrommaine wrote: Chad pennington is no joke despite what people may think of him. He is a smart QB so forcing him to make mistakes will be very dificult to do. Let us just say a silent prayer that the talent around him is not the best in the world at the moment. Do not take this game lightly.


 

Agree with that about Chad. He beat the Pats a couple of seasons ago with an amazing TD pass to Cotchery.

 

This game is a very important game. It is the return of Bill Parcells the Big Tuna and he will be watching down from the owners box. Belichick is already well aware of this, and Pats fans ( Former Patsies fans )  will take serious note here of what this game means.  The Pats can simply not lose to the Tuna, its worse than losing to "the mangenious" even.

Posted: 9/16/2008 1:58 PM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


I do agree with gino. I hope we get to see cassel air it out a bit if for no other reason than to see what sort of control and accuracy he has when heaving it down the field.

Posted: 9/16/2008 2:34 PM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Early Line: NEP [-13]

Slipped to NEP [-12.5]   Fins surrendering 25.5 PPG while scoring 12 PPG. Can the NEP score 25+points on the Fins while holding them to their avg of 10? 

At home before the bi week, I think they can...............  

Posted: 9/17/2008 11:48 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Since 2001- The Patriots record against the Dolphins is 9-5. 3-2 0ver the last 5 games played and the Dolphins are 48-37 vs the Pats over all.

Posted: 9/17/2008 11:56 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


The Fins do bear some close watching. They're an almost completely new team & coaches this year. It's gonna take awhile to get everyone on the same page, - but I think it's going to happen. The Fins came damn close to beating the Jets - and probably will next time they meet. We'll most likely have two qb's doing the same thing, quick short passes, and Chad's pretty damn good at it. It will "probably" be a close game, - and if Chad has the last few shots - we may very well have something to be concerned about.

Posted: 9/17/2008 3:38 PM

Patriots vs Dolphins - from AccuScore 


Sunday September 21, 2008 PTS TO
Miami 12.9 2.3
New England 25.1 1.2
 ,   
Fantasy Spotlight: QB Comparison YDS TD INT
Chad Pennington 182.5 0.8 1.0
Matt Cassel 202.3 1.7 0.5
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/17/2008 4:09 PM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



Hunter07 wrote: The Fins do bear some close watching. They're an almost completely new team & coaches this year. It's gonna take awhile to get everyone on the same page, - but I think it's going to happen. The Fins came damn close to beating the Jets - and probably will next time they meet. We'll most likely have two qb's doing the same thing, quick short passes, and Chad's pretty damn good at it. It will "probably" be a close game, - and if Chad has the last few shots - we may very well have something to be concerned about.


 

Good call. 


The Tuna is back in New England this weekend.

 
He has rescued and revived the stranded Dolphins.



.

Posted: 9/17/2008 6:32 PM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


I think it's gonna take another year, - too much to do in one year. That doesn't mean they can't stir up some real dust this year though.

Posted: 9/17/2008 7:07 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


No question it will take another year for real improvement. Look at Year One in Parcells's Giants and Patriots stints...3 wins and 5 wins respectively. He did better in Year One with the Jets and Cowboys, but neither of those were complete rebuilding projects like the Giants and Patriots were...and like the Dolphins clearly are coming off a 1-15 season. 4 wins would be an impressive improvement in a season mainly focussed on turnover vast amounts of the roster to bring in more "Parcell Guys".

Posted: 9/17/2008 11:12 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Home game. A chance to go into the Bye week 3-0 with the Jets likely being 1-2, yeah, they'll be serious about this one. Belichick has done a pretty good job defensing Pennington over the years, so I expect the defense to hold the Fins to 2 or 3 FG's. This may be the week they let Cassel stretch the field a bit a get Moss back in the flow. It won't be a blow out like last year, but likely something like 24-6 or maybe 27-10 at worst.
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/18/2008 2:12 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



chrism wrote: No question it will take another year for real improvement. Look at Year One in Parcells's Giants and Patriots stints...3 wins and 5 wins respectively. He did better in Year One with the Jets and Cowboys, but neither of those were complete rebuilding projects like the Giants and Patriots were...and like the Dolphins clearly are coming off a 1-15 season. 4 wins would be an impressive improvement in a season mainly focussed on turnover vast amounts of the roster to bring in more "Parcell Guys".


 

That Flying Elvis logo shown is proof positive of the legacyThe Tuna started here. He installed the logo, and set the pace for future excellence. Tedy Bruschi, one of his draft picks, still starts - A "Parcells Guy" all the way. 

 

Belichick continued and improved upon the excellence Tuna started here.

 

 


.

Posted: 9/18/2008 2:58 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Great another stimulating "Who started the Pats excellence debate"

WOO-freaking-HOO

drop it. This debate is tiresome and stupid.

Last edited 9/18/2008 2:58 PM by Vabthang5

Posted: 9/18/2008 3:55 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



Patsie wrote:

That Flying Elvis logo shown is proof positive of the legacyThe Tuna started here. He installed the logo, and set the pace for future excellence. Tedy Bruschi, one of his draft picks, still starts - A "Parcells Guy" all the way. 

Belichick continued and improved upon the excellence Tuna started here

Well, Bruschi didn't leave the team for more money - or be more worried about negotiating his contract during the Superbowl so that he completely blew it for the team - so in those regards, he's not a "Parcells Guy" at all.

Posted: 9/18/2008 4:45 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


From the Miami board: ... Of course Chad was playing for the Jets during this. Not exactly a power-house either.
.
Did you know?

Dolphins QB Chad Pennington is 2-1 with a 93.9 passer rating at Gillette Stadium. Pennington has nine career touchdown passes against the Patriots (second most vs. any opponent). ... In his last meeting against New England (Jan. 1, 2006), Williams posted 108 yards and one touchdown on 28 carries. ... The Patriots are trying to become the first team in NFL history to win 22 straight regular-season games. ... Randy Moss is aiming for his third consecutive two-touchdown game vs. Miami.
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/18/2008 5:49 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



dokgonzo wrote:
Patsie wrote:

That Flying Elvis logo shown is proof positive of the legacyThe Tuna started here. He installed the logo, and set the pace for future excellence. Tedy Bruschi, one of his draft picks, still starts - A "Parcells Guy" all the way. 

Belichick continued and improved upon the excellence Tuna started here

Well, Bruschi didn't leave the team for more money - or be more worried about negotiating his contract during the Superbowl so that he completely blew it for the team - so in those regards, he's not a "Parcells Guy" at all.




Good point, although "tuna guy / parcells guy" was coined to denote a certain type of player that Parcells looks to have on his team.  The business side of pro sports  didnt apply there. 


But he still installed respect and competitiveness in New England pro football.
For those Pats fans around prior to Parcells,  they would know what Im referring to there.  Parcells deserves respect,  albeit grudgingly perhaps.





.

Posted: 9/18/2008 7:04 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


That's right Patsie, - while I didn't like the way he left the team, I sure enjoyed what he did when he was here. Before Parcells, the Pats spent most of their time as the league's "official door mats."

Posted: 9/19/2008 6:50 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Whats this about a ' FLYING ELVIS" ?.................................. Man, I thought Elvis had left-the-building ????

Smerlis et al, on their Casino Show last nite, feel Pats will nail Fish big time this week. I'm taking the NEP and giving up the points.

Posted: 9/19/2008 9:39 AM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



Patsie wrote:
dokgonzo wrote:
Patsie wrote:

That Flying Elvis logo shown is proof positive of the legacyThe Tuna started here. He installed the logo, and set the pace for future excellence. Tedy Bruschi, one of his draft picks, still starts - A "Parcells Guy" all the way. 

Belichick continued and improved upon the excellence Tuna started here

Well, Bruschi didn't leave the team for more money - or be more worried about negotiating his contract during the Superbowl so that he completely blew it for the team - so in those regards, he's not a "Parcells Guy" at all.




Good point, although "tuna guy / parcells guy" was coined to denote a certain type of player that Parcells looks to have on his team.  The business side of pro sports  didnt apply there. 


But he still installed respect and competitiveness in New England pro football.
For those Pats fans around prior to Parcells,  they would know what Im referring to there.  Parcells deserves respect,  albeit grudgingly perhaps.





.
Screw Parcells. She lost any respect she may have gained here when she did one of the worst jobs in her coaching history if not the worse in the Patriots Super Bowl lose to the Packers.

A motivated Parcells would never have kicked the ball to Howard. A motivated Parcells would have kept running the ball when the Patriots started moving the ball and have great success doing so instead of giving the ball to Mr. Statue of Liberty.

A team player would have nver mentioned wanting to shop for groceries on TV.

Screw her! She gets too much credit for taking over a 1 win Jet team that lost a number of close games having one of the worst coaches in history. And good (read not great but good) coach could have had the same record with the Jets the following year and year after that.  Screw her!
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/19/2008 9:54 AM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



usernameNEP wrote:

Whats this about a ' FLYING ELVIS" ?.................................. Man, I thought Elvis had left-the-building ????

Smerlis et al, on their Casino Show last nite, feel Pats will nail Fish big time this week. I'm taking the NEP and giving up the points.




"Flying Elvis" is the nickname given to the Pats logo.
Whoever instituted that particular nickname Im not sure,
but supposedly the figure resembles Elvis Presley.



I think its a closer resemblance to John Kerry upon inspection,
but the "Elvis" is the moniker it has.




.
  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/19/2008 9:59 AM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



Morpheus11 wrote:
Patsie wrote:
dokgonzo wrote:
Patsie wrote:

That Flying Elvis logo shown is proof positive of the legacyThe Tuna started here. He installed the logo, and set the pace for future excellence. Tedy Bruschi, one of his draft picks, still starts - A "Parcells Guy" all the way. 

Belichick continued and improved upon the excellence Tuna started here

Well, Bruschi didn't leave the team for more money - or be more worried about negotiating his contract during the Superbowl so that he completely blew it for the team - so in those regards, he's not a "Parcells Guy" at all.




Good point, although "tuna guy / parcells guy" was coined to denote a certain type of player that Parcells looks to have on his team.  The business side of pro sports  didnt apply there. 


But he still installed respect and competitiveness in New England pro football.
For those Pats fans around prior to Parcells,  they would know what Im referring to there.  Parcells deserves respect,  albeit grudgingly perhaps.





.
Screw Parcells. She lost any respect she may have gained here when she did one of the worst jobs in her coaching history if not the worse in the Patriots Super Bowl lose to the Packers.

A motivated Parcells would never have kicked the ball to Howard. A motivated Parcells would have kept running the ball when the Patriots started moving the ball and have great success doing so instead of giving the ball to Mr. Statue of Liberty.

A team player would have nver mentioned wanting to shop for groceries on TV.

Screw her! She gets too much credit for taking over a 1 win Jet team that lost a number of close games having one of the worst coaches in history. And good (read not great but good) coach could have had the same record with the Jets the following year and year after that.  Screw her!


 

Thats " over the top " imo.   

PS - Parcells didnt kick off, nor was he playing special teams that day, fyi.

Im not a fan of his any longer, but he still deserves recognition for his results here.

 

.

Posted: 9/19/2008 10:26 AM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Please stop the constant Parcells report. 

In case some of you forgot football season has started.  There are lots of good things to talk about regarding this current football team, these players and the games.  We do not have to have the same tiresome debate about Parcells legacy.

 

This weekend, I expect the Pats to continue to build on the physical momentum from last week.  The Pats are going to win this year by being more physical then their opponents. 

It is satisfying in some ways to watch the Pats get back to the brusing style of play that started this run.  Last year's finesse, score in a hurry offense was fun to watch for a change of pace. 

But it is nice to get back to some old fashion "tough guy" football. 

We are going to win this one in the tenches.

  • Patsie
  • Lt General (Three St
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 738 posts this site

Posted: 9/19/2008 10:30 AM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 



Vabthang5 wrote:

Please stop the constant Parcells report. 

In case some of you forgot football season has started.  There are lots of good things to talk about regarding this current football team, these players and the games.  We do not have to have the same tiresome debate about Parcells legacy.

 

This weekend, I expect the Pats to continue to build on the physical momentum from last week.  The Pats are going to win this year by being more physical then their opponents. 

It is satisfying in some ways to watch the Pats get back to the brusing style of play that started this run.  Last year's finesse, score in a hurry offense was fun to watch for a change of pace. 

But it is nice to get back to some old fashion "tough guy" football. 

We are going to win this one in the tenches.




Im hoping the Tuna is in the stadium on Sunday so
Belichick can stick it to him from the field while he watches in person.



.

Posted: 9/19/2008 5:33 PM

Re: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


Wilfork listed as questionable.  They really have not yet addressed the lack of a true backup for Wilfork at his position.  Seymour and Warren can play DT's on a 4 man front but not NT.  It appears the top backup is Wright, and he's not a good fit there.  Hopefully Wilfork can play.

Posted: 9/19/2008 5:51 PM

RE: Official Game 3 thread. Patriots vs Dolphins. 


It's true there's no true backup for Wilfork. But that's not really surprising considering there are only about a half dozen legit NTs in the entire league. It's really the lynch pin for the 3-4 defense and with the number of teams using that defense increasing over the past few seasons, the position has become very scarce. In the face of such scarcity, the Patriots have chosen to go with Wright, a guy who has good positional technique but lacks the ideal physical makeup required to play the position.
  Page of 5  Next >