Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots.

Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 3:38 PM

Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has withdrawn from consideration for the Cleveland Browns' head-coaching job, a league source told ESPN.

McManamon: Been Here Before

McManamonJosh McDaniels' withdrawal from consideration in Cleveland makes sense, considering what he's got now and what the Browns don't, Pat McManamon writes. Blog

A person who knows McDaniels told ESPN the coach had an "awesome" meeting with the Browns but that it is not the right time for him to make a move. McDaniels enjoys his job working with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and coach Bill Belichick too much to leave New England at this time, according to the source.

McDaniels was said to be impressed with the Browns, especially owner Jimmy Haslam. The two had what was described as a "great" conversation.

The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 3:41 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Smart move.  He has to make sure on his next job unless he wants to be a career OC. CLE is not secure even with some good pieces in place.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2014 3:53 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


It is a smart move.  Cleveland is the wrong place for just about any decent coach.   They need to fix the FO first.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 5:21 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


All McD has to do is hang around for either (a) BB to retire or (b) the Pats to win another SB or two. In the former case he most likely inherits BB's job, in the latter he'll have *good* (and relevant) teams offering him the HC spot.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 5:57 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Smart.Hope his playcalling is on point come saturday
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2014 6:05 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Josh hanging around??? - Good, glad to hear it...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/8/2014 6:42 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


I'm not a big McD fan but I figured he'd be smart enough to make this decision.  A coach would have to be either a fool or desperate for a head coaching job to even think about taking that Cleveland job.  And if i was one of those desperate candidates, I'd insist that they don't hold me accountable for the results until they get me a QB and a couple RB's.  There's no way I'm going to take a job where Jason Campbell is my QB and they'll fire me if I can't win with him.
**
**
“I don’t have a response. If I had a response to everything that people said about me or us, then I’d be busy all freaking day responding to things." -- Tom Brady, September 2007
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 7:33 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



TNPatsFan wrote: I'm not a big McD fan but I figured he'd be smart enough to make this decision.  A coach would have to be either a fool or desperate for a head coaching job to even think about taking that Cleveland job.  And if i was one of those desperate candidates, I'd insist that they don't hold me accountable for the results until they get me a QB and a couple RB's.  There's no way I'm going to take a job where Jason Campbell is my QB and they'll fire me if I can't win with him.
Josh is gonna stick around, from reading between the lines it's sounds to me like he would like to take over for Belichick when he leaves. I also found this bit of info, it doesn't mean anything but it is interesting.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick gave McDaniels a five-page typed report on what it takes to be an effective head coach and run a winning organization, which McDaniels termed "his bible." Throughout the 2008 season, the two would meet to discuss the report and allow McDaniels to ask non-coaching questions that he brought to later head coaching interviews
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.

Last edited 1/8/2014 7:38 PM by Division

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 7:36 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Campbell won't be QB...I hope it isn't someone named Manziel.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 7:47 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



GinoC wrote: Campbell won't be QB...I hope it isn't someone named Manziel.
The Jet fans have a 5 page thread on Manziel, many want the Jets to draft him. biggrin
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 7:53 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Count me in.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/8/2014 7:56 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



GinoC wrote: Count me in.
LOL
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/9/2014 1:06 AM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Oh those poor Jets fans. What they need is a veteran QB to settle the offense down and give Geno a chance to learn the pro game.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/9/2014 9:21 AM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



Division wrote:
GinoC wrote: Count me in.
LOL
Count me in.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/9/2014 2:12 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



hddcrash wrote:
Division wrote:
GinoC wrote: Count me in.
LOL
Count me in.
I hope they trade up to take him as well.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/9/2014 2:40 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



dokgonzo wrote: Oh those poor Jets fans. What they need is a veteran QB to settle the offense down and give Geno a chance to learn the pro game.

Testaverde available?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/9/2014 7:38 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Maybe they can talk Brent out of retirement one more time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/9/2014 10:51 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Howabout.....Ray Lucas, he's younger and bleeds Jet green.
He could teach Geno what not to do in slow motion...lol
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/9/2014 11:33 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Better still: wake Namath up. Imagine all the different kinds of awesome that'd come from the Jets having a QB and a HC who both guarantee a SB win.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/11/2014 9:34 AM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


Then Woody would get the back and front page.
At least they're sorta relevant till reality happens again.
Without Rexy they'd live with uknowwho on irrelevant island.
In Woody's world any exposure is better than none...
yuck..lol
Many Jet fans do know to look away.
What a mess for now.
It's a quick turnaround league for some.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2014 2:56 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


When you look at the teams which win SB's and make the playoffs consistently, there's generally not a lot of turnover in coaching. Pats, Giants, Packers. Chiefs are a fluke because they had a wicked easy schedule this year which made Reid's job easier.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/14/2014 7:30 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


By Michael Whitmer, Globe Staff

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, appearing on Tuesday's coaches' teleconference, addressed his decision to withdraw from consideration for the Browns' head coaching position. McDaniels met with Browns officials Jan. 4, confirmed the meeting to the media a week ago, then took his name out of the running.

Does it mean that McDaniels is expecting to be with the Patriots next season?


"I’ll definitely be here," he said.


Asked about the decision, McDaniels said, "I think all it means is I made a decision that this is the right time for me to be here. I’m really happy here, I’ve said that numerous times.


"There’s not really much else to it. It’s a process you go through sometimes, and you ultimately have to make choices based on what’s best for you and your family, and that’s what I tried to do."

The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2014 9:05 AM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



Division wrote:

By Michael Whitmer, Globe Staff

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, appearing on Tuesday's coaches' teleconference, addressed his decision to withdraw from consideration for the Browns' head coaching position. McDaniels met with Browns officials Jan. 4, confirmed the meeting to the media a week ago, then took his name out of the running.

Does it mean that McDaniels is expecting to be with the Patriots next season?


"I’ll definitely be here," he said.


Asked about the decision, McDaniels said, "I think all it means is I made a decision that this is the right time for me to be here. I’m really happy here, I’ve said that numerous times.


"There’s not really much else to it. It’s a process you go through sometimes, and you ultimately have to make choices based on what’s best for you and your family, and that’s what I tried to do."

He's afraid, because of his complete and utter failure as a head coach.

I think he'll be better the next time around, but I can understand being a little gunshy after decimating a franchise and turning the entire Rocky Mountain region against him.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2014 9:42 AM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 



TheRealMoose wrote:
He's afraid, because of his complete and utter failure as a head coach.

I think he'll be better the next time around, but I can understand being a little gunshy after decimating a franchise and turning the entire Rocky Mountain region against him.

I sort of agree. I mentioned in another thread that this day and age you get 2 shots at head coach. If you fail  both times you usually don't get another and are stuck as a coordinator or unemployed(Mangini, Rhodes, Crennel. etc)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/15/2014 4:16 PM

Re: Josh McDaniels staying with the Patriots. 


I still think there is a handshake agreement that McD will be BB's successor.
It is the NFL...Not a knitting class.
Reply | Quote