Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Gronkowski

Avatar

Posted: 10/10/2013 11:40 PM

Gronkowski 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/10/2013 11:47 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


Yeah... I heard that before. What's done is done. Gronk should be fine now though.
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/10/2013 11:50 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


Well it looks like if I am understanding it right, Dr. Andrews was brought in because of the questionable work Gill did. Andrews has to clear him to play. If he doesn't clear him I bet he gets another surgery
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 1:15 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


There's been issues with Dr. Gill of late, hasn't there? Wasn't he sued or something?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 8:27 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



dokgonzo wrote: There's been issues with Dr. Gill of late, hasn't there? Wasn't he sued or something?

He botched a Red Sox players surgery IIRC and they fired him
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 9:36 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



Gronktastic wrote:
dokgonzo wrote: There's been issues with Dr. Gill of late, hasn't there? Wasn't he sued or something?

He botched a Red Sox players surgery IIRC and they fired him
It wasn't just Gill it was the entire Red Sox Med staff, And it was several players over the past few years. The drug Toradol was the issue.

Armond Armstead, a former USC football player who recently signed with the New England Patriots, alleged in a lawsuit against the school that Toradol led to his heart attack, at age 20.

Changes in the medical staff since after the 2009 season:

2010 -- Head trainer Paul Lessard let go, replaced by Mike Reinold, previously the team's rehab coordinator and assistant trainer, who is also named assistant director, medical services. Greg Barajas named assistant trainer for 2010.
2011 -- Reinold is given added title of director, medical services.
2012 -- Dr. Thomas Gill, the team's medical director since 2005, is out.
Scott Waugh is out as physical therapist.
Greg Barajas is out as assistant trainer.
David Page is out as strength and conditioning coach.
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.

Last edited 10/11/2013 9:41 AM by Division

Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/11/2013 9:48 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



Division wrote:
Gronktastic wrote:
dokgonzo wrote: There's been issues with Dr. Gill of late, hasn't there? Wasn't he sued or something?

He botched a Red Sox players surgery IIRC and they fired him
It wasn't just Gill it was the entire Red Sox Med staff, And it was several players over the past few years. The drug Toradol was the issue.

Armond Armstead, a former USC football player who recently signed with the New England Patriots, alleged in a lawsuit against the school that Toradol led to his heart attack, at age 20.

Changes in the medical staff since after the 2009 season:

2010 -- Head trainer Paul Lessard let go, replaced by Mike Reinold, previously the team's rehab coordinator and assistant trainer, who is also named assistant director, medical services. Greg Barajas named assistant trainer for 2010.
2011 -- Reinold is given added title of director, medical services.
2012 -- Dr. Thomas Gill, the team's medical director since 2005, is out.
Scott Waugh is out as physical therapist.
Greg Barajas is out as assistant trainer.
David Page is out as strength and conditioning coach.
Toradol is drug that is used extensively by every football team in the NFL. I have a neighbor that played for the Ravens, Eagles, Bengals and Chiefs and he received Toradol shot all the time. In fact he says he still wishes he can get them!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 10:05 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



vinnybravo wrote:
Division wrote:
Gronktastic wrote:
dokgonzo wrote: There's been issues with Dr. Gill of late, hasn't there? Wasn't he sued or something?

He botched a Red Sox players surgery IIRC and they fired him
It wasn't just Gill it was the entire Red Sox Med staff, And it was several players over the past few years. The drug Toradol was the issue.

Armond Armstead, a former USC football player who recently signed with the New England Patriots, alleged in a lawsuit against the school that Toradol led to his heart attack, at age 20.

Changes in the medical staff since after the 2009 season:

2010 -- Head trainer Paul Lessard let go, replaced by Mike Reinold, previously the team's rehab coordinator and assistant trainer, who is also named assistant director, medical services. Greg Barajas named assistant trainer for 2010.
2011 -- Reinold is given added title of director, medical services.
2012 -- Dr. Thomas Gill, the team's medical director since 2005, is out.
Scott Waugh is out as physical therapist.
Greg Barajas is out as assistant trainer.
David Page is out as strength and conditioning coach.
Toradol is drug that is used extensively by every football team in the NFL. I have a neighbor that played for the Ravens, Eagles, Bengals and Chiefs and he received Toradol shot all the time. In fact he says he still wishes he can get them!!
It's not the use of it that's in question, it's the mis-use of it.

On March 8, 2012, MLB issued a directive to all clubs outlining the proper uses of Toradol, stating that only a physician was allowed to administer the anti-inflammatory drug and warning of potential side effects. Shortly thereafter, according to sources, MLB received a complaint that Reinold had been injecting Red Sox players with Toradol. There are conflicting accounts of who contacted MLB.
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 10:17 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Albert Breer     @ AlbertBreer                3m       

The NFLPA investigated Dr. Thomas Gill earlier in the year, after ex-Patriot Jonathan Fanene filed a grievance against the club.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 10:23 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



Gronktastic wrote: Albert Breer     @ AlbertBreer                3m       

The NFLPA investigated Dr. Thomas Gill earlier in the year, after ex-Patriot Jonathan Fanene filed a grievance against the club.

Like I said in my above post, A. Armstead had a heart attack when he was 20 from being treated by one of the Med staff people under Gill. Why the Patriots keep this guy as Medical Director for this team boggles the mind.
The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.

Last edited 10/11/2013 10:35 AM by Division

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 11:46 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Dr. Andrews hasn't yet cleared Gronk to play. Now it's being reported that the doctor who performed the latest forearm surgery (Dr. Jesse Jupiter) has also not cleared him to play. (Hang on ... "Dr. Jesse Jupiter" ... really? Sounds like a cartoon character.)

Either way, the team and the Gronks agreed on Dr. Andrews being the independent arbiter of when he's cleared to play. So Dr. Gill is no longer a factor in the decision.

I have to believe there are high-level talks in Foxboro going on about keeping Gill in light of all this. If it was his decision to use a procedure which rushed recovery, but with a higher risk of re-injury, then those decisions have cost the Pats and Gronk a whole lot.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 7:31 PM

Re: Gronkowski 




Adam Schefter     @ AdamSchefter                20m       

RT @ Edwerderespn: Filed to ESPN: Despite Rob Gronkowski having another week of practice, @ Patriots no longer expect TE to play vs Saints.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 8:33 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


The thing is, if Andrews is right and the bone isn't strong enough to hold on it's own, odds are Gronk won't be back long enough to make a difference anyway.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 8:40 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


Unbelievable. I gave us a chance to make it back to a SB if Gronk was healthy but without him we are a one and done team IMO. Opposing defenses have to change so much of their strategy to contain him(which opens other aspects of the game)


We have endured the missteps and drops by the rookies  thinking things will be better once Gronk comes back. The way things are looking,I would be surprised he played this year.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 9:15 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


I'm not ready to give up on the kids and no-names just yet. The D is playing well, they have TB12, and they have a really good bunch of RB's.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/11/2013 9:38 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


All other teams have weaknesses and we have the weakness wizards able to do some pretty amazing things. BB & TFB are just warming up.

Plenty of time to prepare. I wouldn't want to face us hungry, battered and pizzed!
The kids will be fine when they get more playing time. Pats please make sure until they understand route adjustments to give them some confidence on easy button hook routes and quick passes in trip formations. They need to feel good to give their best and not tighten up. IMHO...:-p
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/11/2013 10:25 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


The problem I am seeing right now is that we get zero production from the TE position. We have 5 TE catches this year in 6 games with these guys. I have not looked it up but I would bet money we are dead last in TE production, we have to be.

Even going back to the SB years in 2003 and 2004 the TE positions average production was around  60 catches. If you go back to 2001 though we had less than 20 catches for the season(the epic TE receiving combo of Wiggins and Rob Rutledge, LOl). It is worth noting though during that 2001 season the FB/RB combo combined for 93 catches. Unfortunately we aren't really getting much RB/FB receiving production either this year.

We are getting no TE or RB help in the passing game,  makes you understand really why Brady has struggled. He has no real check down

After looking at the stats thus far we very well could be the 0-6 Giants if our defense wasn't playing so well
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 12:25 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Mulligan is awesome at TE though ... he's caught 100% of balls thrown to him and all of them have been TD's.

Pardon me, have you any Kool Aid? But of course ...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 12:25 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



dokgonzo wrote: Mulligan is awesome at TE though ... he's caught 100% of balls thrown to him and all of them have been TD's.

Pardon me, have you any Kool Aid? But of course ...
lmao
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2013 12:37 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


We have a chance to be very good in those areas...Actually elite.
Vareen..Gronk! Also...Trades...System..Experience...
New wrinkle for others to stop with our unique un-talented O is my last hope..
If you can't pick players well. Shut everybody up by winning. Especially elimination games. Plenty of time to prepare.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 1:06 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


He is working out at least right? Its a arm injury and i wonder if at this point he is not as strong as he used to be..

That is what made Jake Long a shell of his former self, The guy had arm injuries 2 or 3 straight years and i imagine that takes a toll on your core strength as he didn't work out in that time period..
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2013 8:24 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


I'm having doubts whether or not he's going to play this year at all.  None of this makes any sense.  If he's been practicing for a month why isn't he getting any closer?  If he hasn't been cleared, then why is he practicing?  I think by "practicing" they just mean he's present and he's maybe catching a few passes but he's not really doing much else.

Even more baffling is why BB isn't doing anything to strengthen the TE and other positions like DT.  He just plugs undrafted rookies in every time someone goes down.
**
**
“I don’t have a response. If I had a response to everything that people said about me or us, then I’d be busy all freaking day responding to things." -- Tom Brady, September 2007
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 8:46 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


It appears Rob Gronkowski's return will have to wait at least another week after all.

The New England Patriots' star tight end had not been cleared as of late Friday night, leaving it unlikely he'll play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Patriots hadn't definitively announced the status of Gronkowski, who was listed as questionable on Friday's injury report.

The time has come and gone, Here's to the 2014 Season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 9:28 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



TNPatsFan wrote: I'm having doubts whether or not he's going to play this year at all.  None of this makes any sense.  If he's been practicing for a month why isn't he getting any closer?  If he hasn't been cleared, then why is he practicing?  I think by "practicing" they just mean he's present and he's maybe catching a few passes but he's not really doing much else.

Even more baffling is why BB isn't doing anything to strengthen the TE and other positions like DT.  He just plugs undrafted rookies in every time someone goes down.

I totally agree

It is a weird situation!! We have heard the last few weeks that  he had been a full physical participant with pads, and now he has been somewhat limited? I am guessing he had a relapse of some sort, BB will keep it hush hush another week and then we will hear that he is done and needs another surgery.

The depth chart thing baffles me as well. Why not sign a DT? Add some depth at TE.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 9:38 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


interesting read per Ben Volin

A league source told the Globe Friday that the decision to return to the field is mostly up to Gronkowski, and the team is understanding of that. The team has cleared Gronkowski to return, and Gronkowski’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, uses Andrews for many of his second opinions. But in this case, Andrews is not an expert in forearm injuries and will likely not be the one to clear Gronkowski to play again, according to the league source.

Gronkowski’s camp has advised the tight end to be cautious and listen to the advice of Andrews, but Andrews won’t be the one who says go play, the source said.


So a few things pop out. Looks like Gronks agent brought in Dr. Andrews not the Patriots and he is not a forearm expert. So it does look like the ball is in Gronks court and he is playing it safe

http://www.bostonglobe.com/spo...BlgL/story.html

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 12:00 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


Armstead will likely be back after the bye, which eases the DL situation.

BB may figure the offense is so complex for TE's that bringing someone in mid-season is pointless. That said, theres a couple ex-Pat (like from last season) TE's out there as FA's. So I don't get it either.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 12:13 PM

Re: Gronkowski 



dokgonzo wrote: Armstead will likely be back after the bye, which eases the DL situation.

BB may figure the offense is so complex for TE's that bringing someone in mid-season is pointless. That said, theres a couple ex-Pat (like from last season) TE's out there as FA's. So I don't get it either.
Well unfortunately the Bye week is 4 games away, I mean that's a quarter of the season. I would rather cut someone like Leon Washington and add to a position in need.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/12/2013 1:46 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


Yeah, I don't quite get it either as far as TE. Ballard, Shiancoe, and Fells are all available and all know the system. Dan Gronk is also available, and spent some time on the Pats roster a year ago, so he'd be some kind of help. And if that's not enough, David Thomas (who the Pats drafted all those years ago) is also available.

Hooman and Mulligan are good blocking TE's - Hooman has proved to be awesome at it, even - but no defender is worried about them catching passes.

So I really can't fathom why there hasn't been any move made to fill the void at TE.


As for DT, there are 3 youngish ex-Pats available as FA - Love, Brace, Pryor. I can only assume there's bad blood with Kyle Love because of the way he was cut (or he's really not as healthy as his agent claimed) as he'd be the first call I'd make to help fill in for Vince.

Ty Warren is also a FA, though I don't know how well he's recovered from last year's injury.

So, again, there are options out there and I don't quite get why these guys aren't at least showing up for try-outs.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2013 9:43 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


I dont understand why TE was not a priority during the draft. To me it was easy to see the need was great especially since the TE is a key part to this offense. I guess getting special teams players from Rutgers and poor WR from Marshall trump the actual need of a player that would have actually helped the team this year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/12/2013 10:04 PM

Re: Gronkowski 


They had Gronk (or so they thought), AH (or so they thought), Hooman, and Ballard (whom they presumably though highly of and thought he'd be healthy enough to play.  So there was no need to draft a TE this year.  I personally would have been kind of po'ed if they had spent a high pick on a TE when WR, pass rusher, and safety were such big needs.. not that they really did much to fill those needs either, the jury still being out on the WR's.
**
**
“I don’t have a response. If I had a response to everything that people said about me or us, then I’d be busy all freaking day responding to things." -- Tom Brady, September 2007
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 12:14 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Yeah, I agree, they were stacked at TE heading into the draft and did pick up Suds who also looked so promising in camp. 

What I don't get is why not reach out to the ex-Pats who are available and are at least better than nothing.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 8:02 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Sh!ts about to get real in the locker room, this sucks if true

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/...ngland-patriots
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2013 8:06 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


I was just about to post about that.

Seems he is indeed practicing in full, doing everything he would be expected to do in a game, and doing it all well.  If he can do all that in practice why isn't he cleared to do it in games?

This is just nuts.  There has been a lot of bad reporting this season on various NFL stories so I guess I'll try not to be too quick to judge.  But it's hard to imagine what it is holding him back, especially if it's his arm.  I might be ok with it if they said his back was not ready.  Can a broken arm really take a year to heal?
**
**
“I don’t have a response. If I had a response to everything that people said about me or us, then I’d be busy all freaking day responding to things." -- Tom Brady, September 2007
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 8:09 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Seems he looks amazing in practice, but his agent/family are in his ear about playing it safe. Hence Dr. Andrews coming in

IDK either, it's a big cluster and I am sure BB is just happy about the added attention
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 8:17 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


I hope this isn't the start of something dumb that trickles down. I don't remember ever hearing about issues in our locker room. With Wilfork out and mostly young guys, I hope we have proper leadership in there.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 9:13 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Albert Breer     @ AlbertBreer                7m       

Gronk enlisted the help of James Andrews in May, after his 4th forearm surgery. Andrews wasn't comfortable giving Gronk the go-ahead today.

Albert Breer     @ AlbertBreer                7m       

As for the Pats role in all this, my sense is that, after Gronk sat out the ATL game, the club decided to put the decision in 87's hands.


Albert Breer     @ AlbertBreer                5m       

... The Patriots then viewed Gronk's return as likely to come in a three-game window -- CIN/NO/NYJ. So next week is the end of that window.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 10:59 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Bob Kraft on Gronk: "we're not going to let our short term desire impede what's right for the long term"

I am sure 36 year old Brady, who has maybe a few years left, cares about the "short term desire". Lets see how gronk enjoys catching passes from guys who have a skill set equivalent to Chris Redman in a few years
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/13/2013 11:19 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


The ESPN guys were all discussing this and pretty much supporting Gronk's caution against potentially coming back too soon.  They were saying he felt he rushed back (or was rushed back) too soon last year and that's making him extra careful.  They also cited a big roster bonus he's due next year and saying that could be in jeopardy if he gets re-injured this year.  Ditka naturally was the only one who said he should just play.  

The thing for me, though, is this.  Those may all be good arguments for him to take his time coming back.  But if he really does have such big concerns about getting hurt again, then why the heck is he practicing?  He can get hurt in practice just as easily as he can in a game.
**
**
“I don’t have a response. If I had a response to everything that people said about me or us, then I’d be busy all freaking day responding to things." -- Tom Brady, September 2007
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 11:32 AM

Re: Gronkowski 


Per NBC Sports Gronk will more than likely miss 2 more games and be back week 8
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/13/2013 11:40 AM

Re: Gronkowski 



TNPatsFan wrote: The ESPN guys were all discussing this and pretty much supporting Gronk's caution against potentially coming back too soon.  They were saying he felt he rushed back (or was rushed back) too soon last year and that's making him extra careful.  They also cited a big roster bonus he's due next year and saying that could be in jeopardy if he gets re-injured this year.  Ditka naturally was the only one who said he should just play.  

The thing for me, though, is this.  Those may all be good arguments for him to take his time coming back.  But if he really does have such big concerns about getting hurt again, then why the heck is he practicing?  He can get hurt in practice just as easily as he can in a game.

IMO he gets paid a lot of money, he has been cleared by the team doctors, has been getting hit in practice, so why is he sitting? Nobody was going to expect him to go crazy and get the targets Gonzalez has had the last few games, but just get some work in, be a decoy, get a few catches. Him being on the field would give this team a huge confident boost(something that is needed after last week)

I joked around  a few weeks ago and said he is pulling a Derrick Rose on us, looks like it is true. I guarantee if he was in a contract year he would be out there showcasing himself so teams would pay him the next season.

The Pats really never pay guys huge contracts, after Adalius, AH and the  injury saga for Gronk I would be surprised if we commit to anyone anymore
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >