Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Week 4 Game Balls and Goats

Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 10:53 AM

Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


We haven't done one yet this year, I figure after a great team win last night it would be a good time


Balls:

Game plan: I loved it. let Gonzalez get what he wants but Julio and Roddy are not gonna get us deep. Loved the offensive game plan as well. Falcons are decimated on defense so lets run it down their throat

Talib: Guy is emerging as one of the best CB's in the NFL and we are no longer that team fighting with the Packers to avoid being the worst passing defense in the league

RB committee: I love the change up in RB's, keeps everyone fresh and from everything I have read there is no drama. The guys seem to support one another

Edelman: came up huge when we needed him

Honorable Mention: LB's. I know Gonzalez killed us last night but I am starting to like what I see with our LB's in coverage.  They have really improved

Goats:

Gregory: I need to just make a  template that lists him here every week. Every game is the same, he is gonna miss a tackle that costs us points, a LB is gonna bump a guy at the LOS to divert him on a different route, only to have Gregory not get there in time to cover him.

Kick returns: Look I am as big of a Blount fan as anyone but why is he returning kicks? To add insult to injury Sudfeld was back with him returning kicks as wellnoidea

Pass rush: We heard all week that the Falcons Oline was a mess and the Pats could find some success getting to Ryan. I would have liked to see more of a pass rush. Seems like every week Tommy Kelly or vince get the opposing QB off his spot but nobody can get there from the outside to sack him

Last edited 9/30/2013 10:55 AM by Gronktastic

Reply | Quote
  • DerekLarsson2
  • Five Star General
  • Rating: 2.7/5 this site
  • 1130 posts this site

Posted: 9/30/2013 1:01 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 



Balls:

Aqib Talib:   He had the best game that we've ever seen from him. 

LeGarrette Blount: He looked like a runaway freight train going 50 yrds down the field for a TD.  He's a big guy, and yet he completely out ran the defensive coverage.  This was also a key turning point in the game (20 - 10 lead).

Edleman/Thompkins:  Both rose to the occasion at key moments in the game.

Tony Gonzalez (Atlanta):  What can you say?  The Patriots had no answer for him...

Honorable mention:  Tom Brady for being able to put 30-points on the board with this set of receivers & TEs.   How many other QBs could do that?


Goats:

Zach Sudfeld:    He's just not doing very much, and when he's involved in plays...the results are quite bad (onside kick muff, tipped INT in game one).

Mike Smith (Atlanta Coach):  He has talented players, but is finding ways to lose games.  By forfeiting a Field Goal early in the game that made a big difference later on.   Trailing 30 - 20 in the 4th quarter and close to the goal line, had he not forfeited the FG and instead the score was 30 - 23, they could have tied the game with 3 minutes left right then.  Instead, they were left in a position where they couldn't take the risk, and just kicked a FG that left them still behind by 7 points.   

Aaron Dobson:  He was a non-factor in the Offense (just 1 catch), and then got injured.  The injury wasn't his fault, but this was our big WR Draft pick, and the undrafted Thompkins has clearly outplayed him and is having a bigger impact.
Reply | Quote
  • sakes
  • Five Star General
  • Rating: 3.2/5 this site
  • 1058 posts this site

Posted: 9/30/2013 1:32 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


I agree with most of this.  I think our game plan of letting Gonzalez go free for short routes while preventing the deep play is something that we've always "planned" for in that bend but don't break style.  This time we showed what a successful bend but don't break style looks like - you don't bend every single time the offense is on the field, breaks are infrequent enough that the strategy works, and the pure number of plays that you make the offense execute perfectly leads to mistakes. 

 

Agree all around with the game balls - Talib was fantastic, the RB by committee was huge, I’m impressed with Edelman.

 

Regarding the goats – I think that BB has simply ruled out Kickoff returns as a real opportunity for points or field position.  In rare form, he openly spoke out against the NFL a few years ago by saying that they wanted to eliminate the Kickoff.  With the new rules, I think that he views the potential of a fumble or starting behind the 20 as outweighing the benefit of returning the ball from the end zone during every kickoff (if you look at kick offs from 10 years ago, many started on the field vs. the end zone).  Therefore, he puts 2 bigger guys who won’t fumble and won’t be tempted to run the ball out unless there’s a huge opening.  Not saying that I agree but I think there’s logic. 

 

I don’t think that we did a horrible job with the pass rush, I think that Ryan did a good job of staying composed and getting the ball out quickly.  It wasn’t like the last few years when we’d blitz and the QB would still have all day.  He had guys in his face but he managed to get the ball quickly…QB’s can make an OLine look very good.  Also, like you said, we were giving up the short routes to prevent the deep plays so Ryan could get the ball out quicker until he reached our red zone (which is why I think he looked so bad in the red zone). 


Gronktastic wrote: We haven't done one yet this year, I figure after a great team win last night it would be a good time


Balls:

Game plan: I loved it. let Gonzalez get what he wants but Julio and Roddy are not gonna get us deep. Loved the offensive game plan as well. Falcons are decimated on defense so lets run it down their throat

Talib: Guy is emerging as one of the best CB's in the NFL and we are no longer that team fighting with the Packers to avoid being the worst passing defense in the league

RB committee: I love the change up in RB's, keeps everyone fresh and from everything I have read there is no drama. The guys seem to support one another

Edelman: came up huge when we needed him

Honorable Mention: LB's. I know Gonzalez killed us last night but I am starting to like what I see with our LB's in coverage.  They have really improved

Goats:

Gregory: I need to just make a  template that lists him here every week. Every game is the same, he is gonna miss a tackle that costs us points, a LB is gonna bump a guy at the LOS to divert him on a different route, only to have Gregory not get there in time to cover him.

Kick returns: Look I am as big of a Blount fan as anyone but why is he returning kicks? To add insult to injury Sudfeld was back with him returning kicks as wellnoidea

Pass rush: We heard all week that the Falcons Oline was a mess and the Pats could find some success getting to Ryan. I would have liked to see more of a pass rush. Seems like every week Tommy Kelly or vince get the opposing QB off his spot but nobody can get there from the outside to sack him
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 5:05 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


On Blount returning kicks ... I wonder if that isn't a logistical move. That is, rather than risk a fragile skill player like Edelman or Vereen, why not use their biggest and baddest RB to maybe lay out some opposing players. War of attrition. It could also be the lack of success is more due to the blockers not opening up a lane for him too.

Anyway ...

BALLS

1. Talib - guy is playing awesome and having fun.

2. Edelman and Thompkins - big performances.

3. Blount and Ridley - ditto.

Honorable Mentions: Boyce, Mulligan, Develin - each made one big catch, without which they lose the game; Hooman - does his thing, week in, week out, big part of the run game; Tommy Kelly, I don't think he misses Oakland one bit; Vellano & Buchanan - kind of fitting that the only sacks came from no-name rookies; the coaching staff all did a great job making adjustments all game long; Brady, while he didn't have the best night and missed a few open guys, he was clearly the leader of the offense and got everyone involved.

GOATS

1. Steve Gregory, his mistakes too often erase the good plays he makes.

2. Friggin' Refs, some really idiotic non-calls, a ton of ticky-tack calls, just in general bad work - plus the mysterious replay equipment outage.

3. Sudfeld, seems to be regressing and had a critical mis-handle on the onside kick.

Dishonorable Mentions: Injuries ... Vince done for the season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 6:54 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


Balls.....

1. Lagerette and the run game, impressive.

2. The progression of the new recievers, a little better every week is good with me.

3. Julian edelman, stepping up in big ways i always liked him.

Goats.....

1. Sudfeld, what happened with that onsides kick bytterfingers.

2. Brady not going through his reads and only seeing/zoning in on half the field, also if we has lost it would all be on brady for fumbling that snap although bad ball placement by the refs kind of led up th that whole mess.

3. Gronkowski, if you were going to be gone for 6 weeks anyway why not just put him on PUP, i dont know maybe save the spot for something else.







   

         

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 7:14 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 



dokgonzo wrote: On Blount returning kicks ... I wonder if that isn't a logistical move. That is, rather than risk a fragile skill player like Edelman or Vereen, why not use their biggest and baddest RB to maybe lay out some opposing players. War of attrition. It could also be the lack of success is more due to the blockers not opening up a lane for him too.

Anyway ...

BALLS

1. Talib - guy is playing awesome and having fun.

2. Edelman and Thompkins - big performances.

3. Blount and Ridley - ditto.

Honorable Mentions: Boyce, Mulligan, Develin - each made one big catch, without which they lose the game; Hooman - does his thing, week in, week out, big part of the run game; Tommy Kelly, I don't think he misses Oakland one bit; Vellano & Buchanan - kind of fitting that the only sacks came from no-name rookies; the coaching staff all did a great job making adjustments all game long; Brady, while he didn't have the best night and missed a few open guys, he was clearly the leader of the offense and got everyone involved.

GOATS

1. Steve Gregory, his mistakes too often erase the good plays he makes.

2. Friggin' Refs, some really idiotic non-calls, a ton of ticky-tack calls, just in general bad work - plus the mysterious replay equipment outage.

3. Sudfeld, seems to be regressing and had a critical mis-handle on the onside kick.

Dishonorable Mentions: Injuries ... Vince done for the season.
I agree dok .  I still don't get the review and spot of the ball with about a minute left.  Blount was clearly not down until he was about a foot passed the marker.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 7:52 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


It wasn't just that overturned Blount TD. The non-call on Edelman's fair catch. The non-call on holding Dobson (the play where he got injured). The non-call on Jones pushing-off Dennard on that last big catch.

Add to that the Pats are one of the least-flagged teams and they were handed 9 penalties for 93 yards.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 9/30/2013 9:11 PM

RE: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


Dont forget that terrible PI call on Talib
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/1/2013 4:23 PM

RE: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


This was a good game all around, except for the loss of Vince.

I only got one real nasty ol goat.  I just can't stand Chris Collingsworth.   He is such a mindless tool.  How ever did he get a broadcasting job.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/1/2013 7:31 PM

RE: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


Either he has some great connections or hes working for pennies. He just about ruins madden, vbyt at least madden is realistic he says the same wrong thing over and over without really saying anythng at all
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 10/1/2013 7:55 PM

RE: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 



hddcrash wrote: This was a good game all around, except for the loss of Vince.

I only got one real nasty ol goat.  I just can't stand Chris Collingsworth.   He is such a mindless tool.  How ever did he get a broadcasting job.

About 10 years ago my friend told me a story. He  is a huge Bengals fan and he belongs to this 4 seasons country club outside of Cincinnati. He said Collinsworth is a member and he will not talk to anyone(except his rich clique). He said one time he passed him coming in the locker room and said  "hey Mr. Collinsworth, how's it going" he looked at him then looked away, said nothing. LOL

That was 10 years ago, I couldn't imagine how much of a dick he is now
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/1/2013 8:26 PM

Re: Week 4 Game Balls and Goats 


It seems like there isn't broadcast color guy on any network that everyone doesn't hate.  I don't really get it.  I personally kinda like Collinsworth on SNF.
**
**
“I don’t have a response. If I had a response to everything that people said about me or us, then I’d be busy all freaking day responding to things." -- Tom Brady, September 2007
Reply | Quote