Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Huge News for Mens VB -

Posted: 06/05/2012 10:37 AM

Huge News for Mens VB - 


We got Speraw!!!biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Official Press release.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:01 AM

Holy sh!t!! Huge isn't big enough to describe it!! 


Man, I was worried he was set for the national team.  As much as I would like to see him realize his own professional goals, I'm happy as hell as that he is back home.  Welcome back, John!


"There is no conspiracy. Just an incompetent AD. His handling of the search, and everything since then, has been abysmal." - Greg Hicks, 19 May 2013

"...and Guerrero panicked when he missed on his top guys." - Greg Hicks, 30 March 2014
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:06 AM

And one more thing... 


He's just not another pretty face...

"He graduated from UCLA in 1995 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics."

Not an easy major.  Good for him.


"There is no conspiracy. Just an incompetent AD. His handling of the search, and everything since then, has been abysmal." - Greg Hicks, 19 May 2013

"...and Guerrero panicked when he missed on his top guys." - Greg Hicks, 30 March 2014
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:13 AM

Re: And one more thing... 


Congrats Bruin fans... UCLA is going to get back to the top in a hurry.  I wonder how far UC Irvine will fall...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:17 AM

Program Changing!!! 


NT

 

  • National titles — 11
  • Final Fours — 18
  • Conference titles — 30
  • All-America (1st team) — 37
  • All-conference (1st team) — 118
  • Draft picks (1st round) — 33
  • Olympians — 8
  • Naismith Hall-of-fame — 9
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:26 AM

Wow!! (NT) 


biggrin
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:44 AM

Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 


I always thought she was kinda cute for an "assistant"

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 11:57 AM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 


"Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him?"

It does make one wonder about the assistants he'll have. Anyone know anything?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 12:02 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 12:37 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 


She's one of the biggest (new) names in applied sports psychology and a professor at cal state fullerton. she has one of the best papers on coaching, which was written about pat summit and based on tharpe and gallimore's study of john wooden.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 12:56 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 



AndersonMBA2007 wrote: I always thought she was kinda cute for an "assistant"


Will Speraw take the trainer with him too?  If you were at the Galen Center and saw how hot the UCI trainer was you would know what I mean. wink
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 1:07 PM

Re: And one more thing... 


UCI fans optimistic that Speraw will match or exceed Scates' level of success. 

Any chance any of the UCI players follow Speraw to UCLA? Unlike basketball and football, players would be eligible immediately, right? The starting libero was a freshman, I think.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 1:08 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 



shotnic wrote: "Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him?"

It does make one wonder about the assistants he'll have. Anyone know anything?
Don't "know" anything.  But, he might try to bring Jeff Nygaard back home from the Dark Side.

He could bring Mark Presho with him from Irvine, but I think he may be in line to get the UCI head coaching job.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2012 1:20 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 



FiredUppp wrote:
Will Speraw take the trainer with him too?  If you were at the Galen Center and saw how hot the UCI trainer was you would know what I mean. wink


This one?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/05/2012 1:27 PM

Re: And one more thing... 



and1handles wrote: UCI fans optimistic that Speraw will match or exceed Scates' level of success. 

Any chance any of the UCI players follow Speraw to UCLA? Unlike basketball and football, players would be eligible immediately, right? The starting libero was a freshman, I think.

To gain immediate eligibility, a transfer needs a release from his previous school.  I doubt UCI would be very willing to give a release to a player who wants to follow Speraw to UCLA.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2012 4:41 PM

OK...but does he know about birthday cards? 


biggrin
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/05/2012 6:21 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 



and1handles wrote: She's one of the biggest (new) names in applied sports psychology and a professor at cal state fullerton. she has one of the best papers on coaching, which was written about pat summit and based on tharpe and gallimore's study of john wooden.
If she's a professor at CSUF then it might be hard to bring her over.  It'll be interesting to see if Speraw will try to bring her with him.  IIRC, UCI wouldn't give him extra money to hire a sports psychologist so he brought her on as an "assistant coach" and basically had to coach with one fewer coach than normal.  I'm sure UCLA would have paid the extra money if it was something that Speraw thought was worth asking for in his deal, but the commute from Fullerton to L.A. is much worse than the commute from Fullerton to Irvine.  But at the same time, who knows if the new Irvine coach wants to use up an assistant slot to pay her salary?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/06/2012 7:18 AM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 


It was a one-year hire at UCI. She was never intended to be a full-time, permanent assistant. Speraw saw a need for a change, had an opening on staff, and made the hire on a one-year basis.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/06/2012 9:40 AM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 



AndersonMBA2007 wrote:
FiredUppp wrote:
Will Speraw take the trainer with him too?  If you were at the Galen Center and saw how hot the UCI trainer was you would know what I mean. wink


This one?
That's her.  You're good AndersonMBA.  What this head shot doesn't show is she's tall and has the body of a model.  Which isn't surprising because as a trainer she keeps herself in great shape.

Big props to Speraw who can win a national title while having the hottest looking staff.  After UCI won the MPSF tournament I saw a few of the braver players immediately give the hot trainer a big bear hug.  Just one of the perks to winning I guess.

Last edited 06/06/2012 9:43 AM by FiredUppp

Reply | Quote

Posted: 06/06/2012 12:46 PM

Re: Is he bringing Andrea Becker with him? 



and1handles wrote: It was a one-year hire at UCI. She was never intended to be a full-time, permanent assistant. Speraw saw a need for a change, had an opening on staff, and made the hire on a one-year basis.

At the time of her hire, there was speculation that he hired her because he knew it would be his last year at UCI.  He didn't want to pull in a coach who would have to give up a job elsewhere to become his assistant, only to out of work a year later.  He knew that Becker could take a year off at Fullerton, and still go back.

Will be interesting to see if he tries to bring her to Westwood.  UCLA's Baseball team has a Team Psychologist that they got from Fullerton.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >