Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Ravens sign Will Hill

Posted: 7/25/2014 10:56 AM

Ravens sign Will Hill 


Former Giants Safety. Guy is suspended for first 6 games of season but can practice and play in preseason. Wonder if he is just a camp body or if Ozzie will stash him away for 6 weeks
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 11:25 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


Why would we bring on a guy that can't produce for us in the first couple of months?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



loanraven wrote: Former Giants Safety. Guy is suspended for first 6 games of season but can practice and play in preseason. Wonder if he is just a camp body or if Ozzie will stash him away for 6 weeks

Will Hill has been in the league for a while and has pro ability and some versatility. I cannot recall but it is possible that he has ties to Spags or someone on our coaching staff. If nothing else he can be a utility player. Not high on this guy AT ALL, but it doesn't hurt to have a vet to replace the injured Ross in our overall secondary list of players (although Hill doesn't play corner really).

Again, this quik of a move speaks I believe to what the coaches see in our young and undrafted d-backs. Hill may not eventually make the team but he will set a barometer for what the level of DB-play needs to be in order to be here or contribute.

Hill being suspended for a portion of the season actually makes this camp an audition for him as well as a barometer for the others as I spoke of. If others are good enough to beat out Hill, then Hill is expendable. If Hill is strong enough to play or beat out our youngsters, then our youngsters have to get better in that time period where Hill isn't available.

However it goes there will be some game experience all thru this secondary this camp, and we'll see how it meshes in the coming wks.

C DiP
Poundin' da rock & Punishin' D wins games, period!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 11:38 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


let`s hope this signing (a safety and not a corner)is in no way a red flag regarding the ravens`  early opinion of Terence brooks` chances of playing a significant role this year.... .
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 12:26 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


should fit well in the Ravens  locker room.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 1:58 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


it is odd timing but I guess they figure F- it, we're going to get lit up in the media anyway, might as well grab the talent.
...stay classy 'skins fans
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:13 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



DiscoJamal wrote: it is odd timing but I guess they figure F- it, we're going to get lit up in the media anyway, might as well grab the talent.
Yup, load up on talent and take all the bad PR now. As long as there are no other arrests or issues, the media will tap out on the "Ravens nightmare offseason" by week 4 of the season...especially if they are winning.
Reply | Quote
  • Mohara
  • Raven Veteran
  • 4385 posts this site

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:21 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 






I look at the transgressions of our players and only one stands out as a black eye on the team.

Ray Rice decking his fiancee.

What a disgrace.

Taliferro-young drunk stupid.  I can see that happening to me or one of my friends on spring break when we were young.
Smith-helping a girl that was getting sick and annoyed with cops.  I don't see this as that bad.
Thompson-pot and it was thrown out.

Reid screwed up too.  His is the second worst.  Getting into a fight at a strip club though.  I don't think that is that bad though.  

Except for Rice, nothing here rises to anywhere near the level of that Steeler that led police on a drunken chase and was crashing his car.  None of the other stuff here is that bad.

It's being blow up because it's 5 and what, 1/3 of all offseason arrests of players.

Last edited 7/25/2014 2:36 PM by wayupnorth

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:46 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



stephenjames1979 wrote: Why would we bring on a guy that can't produce for us in the first couple of months?
For a veteran camp body, even if he has to serve game suspensions he can participate in training camp, and pre-season.

 Don't argue with an idiot;  people watching may not be able to tell the difference. 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 3:07 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


fill a spot that Ross had before the Achilles
Reply | Quote
  • uriah86
  • Raven Starter
  • 843 posts this site

Posted: 7/25/2014 4:52 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



stephenjames1979 wrote: Why would we bring on a guy that can't produce for us in the first couple of months?
Expect a mysterious injury to a DB week 7.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/25/2014 5:25 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



uriah86 wrote:
stephenjames1979 wrote: Why would we bring on a guy that can't produce for us in the first couple of months?
Expect a mysterious injury to a DB week 7.

An experienced vet can help this team. Even if he cannot play until late-Oct or whatever the point is that having folks who can perform on the field helps your team.

I've spoken about this in other threads or other topics but when you look at a roster area you're only as good as the lowest player that is reasonably asked to play. Friends, if you have to play AQ Shipley or Jah Reid at OG because someone goes down to injury then you aren't well-stocked at that position. If an overmatched 'butt-on-the-turf' Terrence Cody has to play sizable snaps on your D-line then you need to improve or address that area as soon as you can...

in getting back to the topic, perhaps the team is just trying to make sure that someone else can be a viable professional at safety during the mid-season and beyond. They know or feel strongly that Elam can play at an acceptable level, but the other spot and our depth is still in flux. This acquisition is building in a 'bottom-up' fashion, and its a vet-minimum deal with no bonus money. There's no real risk here.

Not a big move by any stretch UNLESS the current in-house guys at safety are sub-par. I gotta believe that atleast one of the guys not named Matt Elam has enough game to be pegged as a starter come early-Sept.

We'll see how it goes.

C DiP
Poundin' da rock & Punishin' D wins games, period!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 7:24 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



jascfo wrote: should fit well in the Ravens  locker room.
and then well cut him so he can travel to pisspuke and teach car jack faking 101
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2014 7:29 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



CDiPiranha wrote:
u
We'll see how it goes.

C DiP
Completely mystified signing this guy.

An Urban Meyer trained idiot who still  doesn't get it..
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/26/2014 5:03 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


This guy doesn't 't seem to be able to stay out of trouble. He might get into more difficulties while he is serving his suspension. However talented he may be, he won't do the Ravens much good if he can't get on the field.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/26/2014 7:21 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 


I don't expect him to make the final 53, just a camp body.

 Don't argue with an idiot;  people watching may not be able to tell the difference. 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/27/2014 4:55 PM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



wayupnorth wrote: I don't expect him to make the final 53, just a camp body.

Oh, as a player he is DEFINITELY gonna make this 53-man roster. The question is if the team desires to keep him around (to serve out his suspension as a Raven) or are they just using him this summer as a true gauge to see if the other safeties are up to snuff. This isn't bringing in an over-the-hill 'Visante Shiancoe' here -- this guy is truly NFL-caliber.

Again, I'm not a fan of this guy in the slightest, so we'll have to see how it goes in the weeks ahead. If he can keep clean and not be a disturbance, then having another quality player on your roster or in your cupboard isn't a bad thing....

of course this is a big "IF", so stay tuned.

C DiP
Poundin' da rock & Punishin' D wins games, period!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 7:17 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



CDiPiranha wrote:
wayupnorth wrote: I don't expect him to make the final 53, just a camp body.

Oh, as a player he is DEFINITELY gonna make this 53-man roster. The question is if the team desires to keep him around (to serve out his suspension as a Raven) or are they just using him this summer as a true gauge to see if the other safeties are up to snuff. This isn't bringing in an over-the-hill 'Visante Shiancoe' here -- this guy is truly NFL-caliber.

Again, I'm not a fan of this guy in the slightest, so we'll have to see how it goes in the weeks ahead. If he can keep clean and not be a disturbance, then having another quality player on your roster or in your cupboard isn't a bad thing....

of course this is a big "IF", so stay tuned.

C DiP
Hearing that Chykie Brown is getting destroyed in camp is very disturbing.  They've been moving Jeromy Miles to play some corner. 
Not sure how Hill fit's into that plan, but why sign a guy you won't have for 6 weeks?

Dumb
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/28/2014 10:56 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



ravmaniac wrote:
CDiPiranha wrote:
wayupnorth wrote: I don't expect him to make the final 53, just a camp body.

Oh, as a player he is DEFINITELY gonna make this 53-man roster. The question is if the team desires to keep him around (to serve out his suspension as a Raven) or are they just using him this summer as a true gauge to see if the other safeties are up to snuff. This isn't bringing in an over-the-hill 'Visante Shiancoe' here -- this guy is truly NFL-caliber.

Again, I'm not a fan of this guy in the slightest, so we'll have to see how it goes in the weeks ahead. If he can keep clean and not be a disturbance, then having another quality player on your roster or in your cupboard isn't a bad thing....

of course this is a big "IF", so stay tuned.

C DiP
Hearing that Chykie Brown is getting destroyed in camp is very disturbing.  They've been moving Jeromy Miles to play some corner. 
Not sure how Hill fit's into that plan, but why sign a guy you won't have for 6 weeks?

Dumb

Rav, the season isn't six wks long. If a guy gets injured or breaks a hand/wrist or suffers a high-ankle sprain and his diagnosis is he'll be down for six wks we don't just IR the guy -- especially if we feel he can be of help once he returns. A prime example is how we treated Pitta last yr. He only played a handful of gms, yet we 'kept the light on' for him. I'm not saying that Hill is equally as important to us as Pitta is or was, I'm just saying that a guy being out for 6 wks or so isn't the entire season.

Again, Hill is an NFL-caliber safety. For a team that right now is attempting to sort out things in its secondary, having capable talent in the cupboard is a priority. None of us know how this is gonna eventually turn out but its always better to have talent and then have to select from a stocked cupboard then to have to play 'the best you have' even though who you selected is not up-to-snuff (as Jah Reid, Gino Gradkowski & AQ Shipley showed us last yr along the O-line).

We'll see my friend.

C DiP
Poundin' da rock & Punishin' D wins games, period!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/28/2014 11:11 AM

Re: Ravens sign Will Hill 



ravmaniac wrote:
CDiPiranha wrote:
wayupnorth wrote: I don't expect him to make the final 53, just a camp body.

Oh, as a player he is DEFINITELY gonna make this 53-man roster. The question is if the team desires to keep him around (to serve out his suspension as a Raven) or are they just using him this summer as a true gauge to see if the other safeties are up to snuff. This isn't bringing in an over-the-hill 'Visante Shiancoe' here -- this guy is truly NFL-caliber.

Again, I'm not a fan of this guy in the slightest, so we'll have to see how it goes in the weeks ahead. If he can keep clean and not be a disturbance, then having another quality player on your roster or in your cupboard isn't a bad thing....

of course this is a big "IF", so stay tuned.

C DiP
Hearing that Chykie Brown is getting destroyed in camp is very disturbing.  They've been moving Jeromy Miles to play some corner. 
Not sure how Hill fit's into that plan, but why sign a guy you won't have for 6 weeks?

Dumb
Chykie has great physical tools, but the brainwaves don't transfer to muscle memory. The inability to track the ball when in the air, rather than the player has been his weakness since day one. It still is, I don't think Spag's will be patient with him.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >