Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Popularity outside Baltimore

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:39 AM

Popularity outside Baltimore 


We all know the Ravens don't have a huge national following like the Packers, Steelers and Cowboys(even though the Cowboys have become a joke, they still have a ton of fans outside North Texas). Some fans in places like St. Louis, Minnesota, Houston, etc. might respect the Ravens, but other than the West Wing (an LA based Ravens fan club), you never see any Ravens jerseys outside of Baltimore(unless they're worn by transplanted Baltimoreans).

To this day, I still see comments online from idiots calling Ray a murderer and Modell a scumbag(and they're not all people from Pittsburgh or Cleveland)

However I did come across this article before the 2013 SB citing 10 reasons to root for the Ravens over the 49ers, and it's from Toronto of all places. The article really gives props to the Ravens and the city of Baltimore. Does this mean I have to stop hating the Blue Jays?;

 http://www.torontosun.com/2013...r-on-the-ravens
If you see me wearing a turban and sandals that means the Steelers are playing Iraq

Last edited 7/6/2014 12:53 AM by Ravnfan4life

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 2:10 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


You have to remember the Ravens came about in 96. The ravens franchise is one of the newest in the league. The other teams you stated with big followings packers, stillers, and cowboys have been around for ages and they have been extremely successful during periods of time. Even the 49ers have won 5 super bowls. Considering how long the Ravens have been around, they have been really successful in building the foundation of what they want to establish. I would take the Ravens home field advantage over the three teams you stated easily. As far as the popularity outside of Baltimore, the Ravens play an ugly game offensively and that probably deters some people from liking the Ravens. If you notice that's why Tom Brady and the Patriots, Peyton Manning and whatever team he is on, and Drew Brees of the saints get a lot of attention and fan fare. Simply, they put up points and have pretty stats. Ultimately I believe there are a lot of young Ravens fan out there. After winning the Super Bowl and being consistent winner, you will see the effect in the near future.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 8:51 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



Ravnfan4life wrote: We all know the Ravens don't have a huge national following like the Packers, Steelers and Cowboys(even though the Cowboys have become a joke, they still have a ton of fans outside North Texas). Some fans in places like St. Louis, Minnesota, Houston, etc. might respect the Ravens, but other than the West Wing (an LA based Ravens fan club), you never see any Ravens jerseys outside of Baltimore(unless they're worn by transplanted Baltimoreans).

To this day, I still see comments online from idiots calling Ray a murderer and Modell a scumbag(and they're not all people from Pittsburgh or Cleveland)

However I did come across this article before the 2013 SB citing 10 reasons to root for the Ravens over the 49ers, and it's from Toronto of all places. The article really gives props to the Ravens and the city of Baltimore. Does this mean I have to stop hating the Blue Jays?;

 http://www.torontosun.com/2013...r-on-the-ravens

Never stop hating the blow jay's as a division rivals  and that POS Cito Gaston's low class snub during  the All Star game.


But that was a good article. Had all the right stuff. Baltimore Football, the O's and crab cakes as well as a history lesson.
Think of it Merica, if not for Baltimore, we might be yelling  God save the Queen at games and not
O

And for good measure, I don't care what people across the country think.    And that "national following" of stealer fans. They're are mostly transplant pisspukers looking for work, and bandwagoneers.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 9:10 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


Living in upstate NY, I can tell you that the Ravens fanbase is expanding, I just had a good discussion with a guy that came to the PT department I work in wearing a Ravens Superbowl T shirt, while I had my hospital ID hanging on a Ravens neck strap....Just on this site alone we have members all over the country, and even some international members. It takes many many years to build an expanded fanbase, as many times it even goes by generations , (I am an O's fan mostly due to my Mother's influence) The Ravens are not quite into their second generation of fans yet.

 Don't argue with an idiot;  people watching may not be able to tell the difference. 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 9:46 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 





---------------------------------------------
--- kassa09 wrote:

You have to remember the Ravens came about in 96. The ravens franchise is one of the newest in the league. The other teams you stated with big followings packers, stillers, and cowboys have been around for ages and they have been extremely successful during periods of time. Even the 49ers have won 5 super bowls. Considering how long the Ravens have been around, they have been really successful in building the foundation of what they want to establish. I would take the Ravens home field advantage over the three teams you stated easily. As far as the popularity outside of Baltimore, the Ravens play an ugly game offensively and that probably deters some people from liking the Ravens. If you notice that's why Tom Brady and the Patriots, Peyton Manning and whatever team he is on, and Drew Brees of the saints get a lot of attention and fan fare. Simply, they put up points and have pretty stats. Ultimately I believe there are a lot of young Ravens fan out there. After winning the Super Bowl and being consistent winner, you will see the effect in the near future.

---------------------------------------------

Oh I agree 100% about why the Ravens don't have more of a national following. I still get p***ed when I see comments about Ray or Art Modell from idiots who don't know what they're talking about.
But it was nice to get some love from up north.
If you see me wearing a turban and sandals that means the Steelers are playing Iraq
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 10:33 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



wayupnorth wrote: , (I am an O's fan mostly due to my Mother's influence) The Ravens are not quite into their second generation of fans yet.
We're not doing bad after 18 years. It's nice to see people jumping on the wagon, if they become long term fans and not short timers who flee at the first bit of a losing streak, like we see with our division rivals.

But still, I don't lose any sleep over the reach of  Raven nation outside the Baltimore region.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 3:16 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


1) How the move was announced (including our then governor's seeming gloating over it)
2) The controversy surrounding the move: whether it could have been avoided
3) Three years of poor on-field performance
4) The team's best player is accused of double murder
5) Brian Billick vs media-favored Jeff Fisher (The difference between the Titans and Ravens, mind you, is that the Titans know how to win with class)
6) Billick and Sharpe antagonize the non-football media when defending Lewis at the Superbowl
7) Although great defense makes you look intimidating, (The Ravens are the "Raiders of the East") poor offense makes you look inept.
8) The NFL realizes that their potential Golden Boy, Peyton Manning, might be more gilded than gold and so in 2004 begins the steady march to making stars out of Manning and other QBs (a position the Ravens could not find)
9) Three times -- 2001, 2008, and 2010 -- the Ravens were bounced from the playoffs by their division rival and team with a superior pedigree. Thus, the Ravens are second-best.
10) John Harbaugh's public persona is straight and somewhat cheesy, unlike Billick who offered more personality and thus the chance to love or hate him and by extension the Ravens


I find it interesting that during the Superbowl celebration Steve Bisciotti remarked something along the lines of "Baltimore, don't ever lose that chip on your shoulder." That, to me, is the anthem of the underdog or outsider. That's Clubber Lang. But that's not the attitude of someone who wants to build an empire or dynasty. I don't know if Alexander the Great did what he did because he just wanted to rub the other guy's nose in it. There's something to said for building greatness for the principle of greatness rather than the more mundane purpose of showing up the other guy. But...that's just my pscyho babble.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/7/2014 5:22 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



writeHH wrote: 1) How the move was announced (including our then governor's seeming gloating over it)
2) The controversy surrounding the move: whether it could have been avoided
3) Three years of poor on-field performance
4) The team's best player is accused of double murder
5) Brian Billick vs media-favored Jeff Fisher (The difference between the Titans and Ravens, mind you, is that the Titans know how to win with class)
6) Billick and Sharpe antagonize the non-football media when defending Lewis at the Superbowl
7) Although great defense makes you look intimidating, (The Ravens are the "Raiders of the East") poor offense makes you look inept.
8) The NFL realizes that their potential Golden Boy, Peyton Manning, might be more gilded than gold and so in 2004 begins the steady march to making stars out of Manning and other QBs (a position the Ravens could not find)
9) Three times -- 2001, 2008, and 2010 -- the Ravens were bounced from the playoffs by their division rival and team with a superior pedigree. Thus, the Ravens are second-best.
10) John Harbaugh's public persona is straight and somewhat cheesy, unlike Billick who offered more personality and thus the chance to love or hate him and by extension the Ravens


I find it interesting that during the Superbowl celebration Steve Bisciotti remarked something along the lines of "Baltimore, don't ever lose that chip on your shoulder."

That, to me, is the anthem of the underdog or outsider. That's Clubber Lang. But that's not the attitude of someone who wants to build an empire or dynasty. I don't know if Alexander the Great did what he did because he just wanted to rub the other guy's nose in it. There's something to said for building greatness for the principle of greatness rather than the more mundane purpose of showing up the other guy. But...that's just my pscyho babble.
The man knows his audience, he's just playing to the crowd..........
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/7/2014 8:21 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


I was in B.C. (Canada) two weeks ago and stumbled into a sports fan store. There were 7 or 8 teams represented by gear - the Ravens were one of them. That was pretty cool.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/7/2014 10:49 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


I've always thought that part of it had to do with the fact that we don't have a very large geographic region of dominance due to our neighbors.  Pretty much we have the Baltimore area, and most of the surrounding suburbs, but the Redskins, Eagles, and Steelers are pretty big roadblocks for going after massive pockets of fans in towns and smaller cities.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins have more Maryland fans than we do.  

Luckily, the NFL is built so that you make your money from the diehard local fans, not necessarily from the national following.  I say this because merchandise and TV money is evenly split, while the only real marginal revenue comes from in-game sales (even some of that is split). And with the salary cap and floor, money isn't really a huge part of putting together a team.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/7/2014 1:46 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



Trackmaster wrote: I've always thought that part of it had to do with the fact that we don't have a very large geographic region of dominance due to our neighbors.  Pretty much we have the Baltimore area, and most of the surrounding suburbs, but the Redskins, Eagles, and Steelers are pretty big roadblocks for going after massive pockets of fans in towns and smaller cities.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins have more Maryland fans than we do.  

Luckily, the NFL is built so that you make your money from the diehard local fans, not necessarily from the national following.  I say this because merchandise and TV money is evenly split, while the only real marginal revenue comes from in-game sales (even some of that is split). And with the salary cap and floor, money isn't really a huge part of putting together a team.
If I had to guess, the general breakdown of Maryland would be;

Far Western MD- stealers

Frederick Howard AA- mixed Ravens 4skins. 
Carroll- Ravens
PG  Mont and the southern western shore - 4skin
Baltimore and  east down  the Eastern shore- Ravens
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/7/2014 2:07 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



ravmaniac wrote:
Trackmaster wrote: I've always thought that part of it had to do with the fact that we don't have a very large geographic region of dominance due to our neighbors.  Pretty much we have the Baltimore area, and most of the surrounding suburbs, but the Redskins, Eagles, and Steelers are pretty big roadblocks for going after massive pockets of fans in towns and smaller cities.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins have more Maryland fans than we do.  

Luckily, the NFL is built so that you make your money from the diehard local fans, not necessarily from the national following.  I say this because merchandise and TV money is evenly split, while the only real marginal revenue comes from in-game sales (even some of that is split). And with the salary cap and floor, money isn't really a huge part of putting together a team.
If I had to guess, the general breakdown of Maryland would be;

Far Western MD- stealers

Frederick Howard AA- mixed Ravens 4skins. 
Carroll- Ravens
PG  Mont and the southern western shore - 4skin
Baltimore and  east down  the Eastern shore- Ravens
It's pretty mind boggling considering that Maryland isn't even that big of a state, nor is it very populous.  Considering that our territory is virtually non-existence out of state and that even saying that we split Maryland with the Redskins is generous, it's amazing how we're still considered a top 10 fanbase by some measures and polls, and a top half fanbase being very conservative. 

What are all of those other teams doing that have a state to themselve, have multiple states to themselves, and/or are in states with populations well over 10,000,000?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/7/2014 3:58 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



Trackmaster wrote:

What are all of those other teams doing that have a state to themselve, have multiple states to themselves, and/or are in states with populations well over 10,000,000?
People underestimate the Baltimore football fan base.   We're not big and flashy. We don't have to gop around flapping our yaps about having a so called  worldwide fan base,and yet can't fill a 68,000 seat stadium
( right pisspukewink)


 Baltimore is still home to 6 NFL titles.  We don't need to brag to make our point.  Baltimore is a football town.
Always has been always will be.  

Even in the dark days of the bourbon boob regime, Baltimore Loved the Colts. We just didn't want to put more money in that morons pocket as he decimated the team.

The NFL thought the fans here would adopt the 4skins iggles or stealers when they ignored the best expansion offer on the table and picked jacksonville over us.
 Well they were dead wrong.
And we proved it with our lil home fan base once more selling out NFL games since 1996. Good times and bad.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/7/2014 5:08 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



ravmaniac wrote: And we proved it with our lil home fan base once more selling out NFL games since 1996. Good times and bad.
And we didn't have to remove 14,000 seats to prevent blackouts, as our friends at Raljon have done!

svomit_100-119Tagiabue's "Sunbelt Strategy"

svomit_100-119Tags + his boyfriend, Jack Kent Crook
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 7:06 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


And in reality, I'd rather be a part of a small, but rabid, strong and loyal fanbase than a large one with fickle and generally disinterested bandwagon fans.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 9:33 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


The Eastern shore of Delaware crowd is full of Ravens fans. That said, people that live in large cities are mostly cheer for whoever is popular at the time.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/8/2014 10:53 AM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



Trackmaster wrote: And in reality, I'd rather be a part of a small, but rabid, strong and loyal fanbase than a large one with fickle and generally disinterested bandwagon fans.
In it's current state,

We have a small but strong fanbase that are a bunch of bandwagon fans.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 12:29 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 


I agree w/all the assessments on this thread, I was just wondering if the Ravens will ever be one of those teams w/a national fan base like Pittsburgh or Dallas. I guess over time, if they maintain their success, more and more people will start following them.
Not that it really matters, because the Ravens don't need national recognition.
It also seems like certain media personalities(like Costas, and Esiason) refuse to give the Ravens any respect, while gushing all over Bellicheck, and Brady, or Peyton Manning, no matter where he plays. I'll admit that's a little frustrating.
It's also cool that LA has a number of Ravens fans(check out the West Wing Ravens fanclub in SoCal). That club was started by a couple of transplanted Baltimoreans, but I can't believe all the West wing members are from Charm City.
If you see me wearing a turban and sandals that means the Steelers are playing Iraq
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/8/2014 3:51 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



MistaT wrote:
 
And we didn't have to remove 14,000 seats to prevent blackouts, as our friends at Raljon have done!

And let's face it, they could remove another 14,000 "J.K.C. seats" out of that s**thole and the seating would still suck!

Just a lousy place to watch a game unless you're in the VIP section, and even then it ain't so great.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/8/2014 4:04 PM

Re: Popularity outside Baltimore 



Ravnfan4life wrote: I agree w/all the assessments on this thread, I was just wondering if the Ravens will ever be one of those teams w/a national fan base like Pittsburgh or Dallas.
Will that help the Ravens win more games?

I really don't care if they have a national fan base.   That is not a determining factor in winning championships.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >