Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke

Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:16 PM

The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:27 PM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


But but some posters will lead you to believe that the "NHL" has the worst commissioner, no way good ole Rodg is terrible....
Posted Image
"Its like...Someone Created him on Madden."
~Jacoby on Joe~
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:27 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


I just don't understand what he was supposed to do. eek1
"You can't hurt this, I'm a machine - jerk!" Ray Lewis

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 10:32 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


He's supposed to hit low.  So he can be hurdled.

Seriously, it's criminal.  He got robbed of $55K.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/27/2012 10:59 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



Goodell cares nothing about the players. He is legislating the league out of existence. In 10-15 years ratings will be in the tank. This guy is all about keeping money in owners pockets. He cares nothing about the players. All this knee jerk crap is a reaction to the concussion law suits. If they really cared about the players equipment would improve. Thursdays would be done away with. Also there would be zero talk about extending the season.

This clown is the worst commissioner in the history of the league.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 11:34 PM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


It's absurd. As was the league trying to fine him for the hit on Deion Branch, where Branch lowers into Reed at the last second... 100% unavoidable. It's clear the league is determined to make an example out of Reed, and since their attempt a few weeks ago failed, they hit him with another.

Joeshmoe, you took the words right out of my mouth. Goodell and his reactionary rule changes (attempts to shield the league from litigation,) are ruining the game. The fans need to let the league know what we think like we did with the Refs debacle. Blow 'em up on Twitter, let the media hear it too. He's got to go!
 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 12:30 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


For all this talk about "Protect the Shield", grow the league's popularity, expand the enthusiasm across American boarders and oversees, keep the NFL in the positive light to which it's ascended above all other American sports:  I am increasingly unable to recognize this sport for which I have had a life-long love affair. 

It feels like once a week now, something happens on the field where you're just scratching your head and wondering 'what the hell?'.  (and I can't even blame Cam) That hit by Reed last week has been legal and applauded since the beginning of the game, not that they were passing back then.  HE WAS FINED FOR DOING HIS *(%&$# JOB!!!!

I'm bitter, man...the league has slowly succumb to not only potential litigation but also the Madden/Fantasy generation crowd whose horniness for stats were well recognized by Der Fuhrer and he's manipulated the rules to satisfy.  Moreover on stats and scoring, I can see why Adolf Goodell facilitated scoring for the lay-fans, as a business move, but I do not however see why going overboard by bastardizing the game into something which life-long fans are finding increasingly difficult to recognize, but is in his opinion something good for the game.

I officially and indefinitely boycott Heinz products as they sponsor evil.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 12:39 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


I hope Ed pays the fine in pennys

PROUD PSL OWNER SECTION 111.
YOUR LOCAL EMBROIDERY COMPANY.
 VOTED BY THE RAVENS FRONT OFFICE A TOP 10 FAN 2005

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 12:54 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



braven98 wrote: I hope Ed pays the fine in pennys
I hope he appeals again, wins again and pays Goodell one big F-U.
 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 6:50 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Yes, this league really cares about the health of it's players.  

Using Replacement Refs!

Then even afterwards, using part time senior-aged refs, average age 58, when the players are averaging 27 years old that they are trying to police.

Thursday Night Football Games

Possible move to 18 Game Schedules

46 Active for Game Day, s/b 53

No Thigh Pads, Knee Pads Hip Pads, etc...

Hell four years ago MNF most popular pre-game segment was You got 'Jacked Up'!

Last edited 12/28/2012 6:54 AM by 21XXXV

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:07 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



21XXXV wrote: Yes, this league really cares about the health of it's players.  

Using Replacement Refs!

Then even afterwards, using part time senior-aged refs, average age 58, when the players are averaging 27 years old that they are trying to police.

Thursday Night Football Games

Possible move to 18 Game Schedules

46 Active for Game Day, s/b 53

No Thigh Pads, Knee Pads Hip Pads, etc...

Hell four years ago MNF most popular pre-game segment was You got 'Jacked Up'!
Now it'll be called "You got love tapped!!"
Posted Image
"Its like...Someone Created him on Madden."
~Jacoby on Joe~
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:23 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


I'm not a Goodell fan by any stretch, but I'd rather him than Bettman (incompetent) or Stern (shady).
 photo test_zpsf14d538c.png
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:25 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



21XXXV wrote: Yes, this league really cares about the health of it's players.  

Using Replacement Refs!

Then even afterwards, using part time senior-aged refs, average age 58, when the players are averaging 27 years old that they are trying to police.

Thursday Night Football Games

Possible move to 18 Game Schedules

46 Active for Game Day, s/b 53

No Thigh Pads, Knee Pads Hip Pads, etc...

Hell four years ago MNF most popular pre-game segment was You got 'Jacked Up'!

The thigh/knee/hip/etc. pads will be a requirement starting next year.

The game day roster is pretty fair.  You get a total of 53 players (salary cap/parity can be a good thing, if it isn't overly legislated), only 46 (used to be 45 + emergency QB, but that rule changed a few years ago) suit up on game day.  That gives enough flexibility to let injured guys rest.

Thursday Night football has to go.

18 games should never have been discussed.

This talk of expanding the playoffs needs to stop dead in its tracks.  The NFL and MLB are about the only playoff formats left that make any sense.  When MLB expanded its playoff field, they did it by 2 teams, and made those games single elimination.  It was basically a way to get one more team slightly more excited at the end of the season.  Hey, it worked out really well for the O's this year!  But, being in that game puts you in a poor position for the ALDS/NLDS because you've already played one more game than your opponent.  The NBA seems to let everyone in.  NHL is a joke in and of itself.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:05 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


It's funny, people keep complaining about Goodell, but yet the league continues to get more and more popular. There once was a time that the NFL was an afterthought in American sports, but now it towers over all of the other leagues.  You should hear how people complain how obsessed the national sports media is about the NFL when they come from non-NFL towns.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:10 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


I don't know what he was supposed to do.  I think it looked worse than it was because the WR's head definitely bucked forward on impact.  But it clearly wasn't a head shot and it didn't seem he was defenseless.  Anyway...

The thing I wonder about with all of these new interpretations of rules and new rules themselves is how some of the HOF guys feel about how the game has changed.  How many catches of Jerry Rice would have been ruled incomplete, how many penalties would Ronnie Lott have had instead of successfully defended passes; how many first downs were averted before roughing the passer and knee hits became prevalent...  You could insert any HOR'er into those scenarios.

When I think of just the nearly 40 years I've been watching NFL football, there are a ton of what we call, "historic" plays that would have been on the scrap heap in today's league.  Personally, I think it's sad.  I hate seeing guys injured, but what the NFL--- not sure if it's just Godell, is doing is attempting to make rules to diminish liability.  That is such a mistake in every way.  In doing so, you almost "admit" to lawyers a degree of culpability in any injury that occurs.  To me, injured players are always going to seek remedy from the NFL regardless of how the rules are changed or interpreted.  So they are never going to get away from litigation or limiting rewards by saying, "Hey, we've tried to make it safer..."

The scary thing for players like Ed, who have been fined repeatedly or even suspended, is how long before an attorney gets a hold of an injured player and encourages him to pursue remedy from the individual player?  The NFL would look at that as a victory, because they'd be off the hook.

Does anyone know if the players have to sign waivers or something of the like to play?  Or if they have to carry insurance on themselves and in case they injure another player?  Like a homeowners policy or something?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:30 AM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


in the future, the nfl will become like the wwf, everything will be fixed and injuries will only occur by accident
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:38 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



drjohnnyfeva wrote: I don't know what he was supposed to do.  I think it looked worse than it was because the WR's head definitely bucked forward on impact.  But it clearly wasn't a head shot and it didn't seem he was defenseless.  Anyway...

The thing I wonder about with all of these new interpretations of rules and new rules themselves is how some of the HOF guys feel about how the game has changed.  How many catches of Jerry Rice would have been ruled incomplete, how many penalties would Ronnie Lott have had instead of successfully defended passes; how many first downs were averted before roughing the passer and knee hits became prevalent...  You could insert any HOR'er into those scenarios.

When I think of just the nearly 40 years I've been watching NFL football, there are a ton of what we call, "historic" plays that would have been on the scrap heap in today's league.  Personally, I think it's sad.  I hate seeing guys injured, but what the NFL--- not sure if it's just Godell, is doing is attempting to make rules to diminish liability.  That is such a mistake in every way.  In doing so, you almost "admit" to lawyers a degree of culpability in any injury that occurs.  To me, injured players are always going to seek remedy from the NFL regardless of how the rules are changed or interpreted.  So they are never going to get away from litigation or limiting rewards by saying, "Hey, we've tried to make it safer..."

The scary thing for players like Ed, who have been fined repeatedly or even suspended, is how long before an attorney gets a hold of an injured player and encourages him to pursue remedy from the individual player?  The NFL would look at that as a victory, because they'd be off the hook.

Does anyone know if the players have to sign waivers or something of the like to play?  Or if they have to carry insurance on themselves and in case they injure another player?  Like a homeowners policy or something?
I would assume there is language in the contract that they won't sue players for their actions on the field.  Think about it - half of what you see on the field would be assault if it weren't on a football field.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 3:51 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


I have seen several players such as Ryan Clark with Kevlar in their helmets to protect concussions. Why don't all players have that if it works?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 3:58 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


The league probably gets more kickbacks from Riddell and other long standing vendors... It's all about the money with these selfish bastards
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 5:23 PM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



TonyZXT wrote:  Goodell and his reactionary rule changes (attempts to shield the league from litigation,) are ruining the game.
The fine recommendations come from a panel of ex-players and coaches who review all the games and decide what hits, flagged or not,  qualify for a fine...

You guys did know that, right?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/28/2012 7:03 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Funny I started a thread about a month ago covering the same topic. I mentioned that I had been a Baltimore football fan since the late 50's. A number of folks on this site said that I was basically and old fart who should be ignored. Well wake up everybody. It's already a brave new NFL world. The formally bulletproof NFL has really shot itself in the foot this year. Integrity hah.

Scab refs, constant tinkering with the rules, not just between seasons but  even during the season. Welcome to the Arena Football League. Vegas did more to set league policy this year than anyone else!

As I said before maybe the Ravens will get to play on Thanksgiving followed up by a trip to London for a home game the next week. Easily done with an 18 game schedule especially when you don't have to worry about all those extra messy kickoffs. Star driven, record breaking all day every day.

As fans we need to take it back.  flushedflushedflushed
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 7:40 PM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Maniac-

Don't be freaking naive!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 8:29 AM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



21XXXV wrote: Maniac-

Don't be freaking naive!
just the facts man............

http://communityvoices.sites.p...nfl-fine-system
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 9:03 AM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Those sounds coming from your roof the other night, they were Reindeer Hooves...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 9:04 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



canuck2002 wrote: Funny I started a thread about a month ago covering the same topic. I mentioned that I had been a Baltimore football fan since the late 50's. A number of folks on this site said that I was basically and old fart who should be ignored. Well wake up everybody. It's already a brave new NFL world. The formally bulletproof NFL has really shot itself in the foot this year. Integrity hah.

Scab refs, constant tinkering with the rules, not just between seasons but  even during the season. Welcome to the Arena Football League. Vegas did more to set league policy this year than anyone else!

As I said before maybe the Ravens will get to play on Thanksgiving followed up by a trip to London for a home game the next week. Easily done with an 18 game schedule especially when you don't have to worry about all those extra messy kickoffs. Star driven, record breaking all day every day.

As fans we need to take it back.  flushedflushedflushed

If you want to "take back" the league in which you're simply the consumer, then you need to go after Goodell's bosses. The owners. He works for them.
They want Thursday night football that NOBODY likes, they want to expand overseas where nobody wants to go. They want their mulit million dollar investments in players protected from needless injury caused by jerks only interested in having a you tube sensation.
 
  Go yell at Jerry Jones Pat Bowlen and the midget down I-95 who are trying to squeeze every last dime out of your pocket and who orchestrated the players lock out and the officals lock out.

What you have to understand is the NFL is a corperation that has many layers.  Goodell is not  a one man band in NY. He sits a top the ogranization appointed to that post by the board of directors, the owners, to serve at their pleasure.  A rule change as well as just about anything else has to go through a process before it gets to the Commisoners desk for final approval..

He just doesn't sit there and one day decides he wants to stop helmet to helmet hits on the QB and writes a memo over coffe and it's done.  It has to filter its way through the system..  That system includes the owners, the coaches, the players union, the various internal reveiw boards..

 Fans have the right to be upset. I don't like all the changes,  but the game does evolve over the years. It's inevitable. Players want to have long careers to make lots of money. Owners want to protect that investment.
You can still have those big hits, we still see them today even with the rule changes. But safety should be a priority, and they're starting with concussions.
  We as fans should be somewhat happy that the NFL is making moves to protect players from stupid hits that could end their careers, and have a decent quality of life afterwards.

Thats why I don't like Thursday night football. I don't want an 18 game season, and I don't want expansion overseas.   But I do want to see my teams players have long productive careers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/29/2012 10:10 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



ravmaniac wrote:

Thats why I don't like Thursday night football. I don't want an 18 game season, and I don't want expansion overseas.   But I do want to see my teams players have long productive careers.
I like Thursday night football except when the Ravens play host, particularly late season night home games.  Otherwise, TNF provides a fifth game to watch every week

I would like to see the 18 game, or at least 17 game, schedule adjustment.  In particular, elimination of one home exhibition game foisted upon us at full price. 

Overseas expansion?  Meh.  I hate long flights, but would probably follow the Ravens to an overseas location.  Or particularly to Toronto, which is a 2013 possibility.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 10:24 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



MistaT wrote:
ravmaniac wrote:

Thats why I don't like Thursday night football. I don't want an 18 game season, and I don't want expansion overseas.   But I do want to see my teams players have long productive careers.
I like Thursday night football except when the Ravens play host, particularly late season night home games.  Otherwise, TNF provides a fifth game to watch every week

I would like to see the 18 game, or at least 17 game, schedule adjustment.  In particular, elimination of one home exhibition game foisted upon us at full price. 

Overseas expansion?  Meh.  I hate long flights, but would probably follow the Ravens to an overseas location.  Or particularly to Toronto, which is a 2013 possibility.
Players and coaches HATE Thursday night football. No reason to have themother than more money in the owners pockets. Thats the reason they moved the draft to Thursday night, which flat out sucks.  

The preseason games are very important evaluation tools for the coaches, and they will tell you that. I go to all of them to watch the young player fight for jobs. Tell those kids looking for a roster spot those last games are meaningless..

  The previous European league flopped. A team over there will have draw like that of the Jags..  Stupid to put an NFL team in the heart of the SEC and it will be stupid to put one where Soccer rules the roost...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/29/2012 1:28 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



ravmaniac wrote:  The preseason games are very important evaluation tools for the coaches, and they will tell you that. I go to all of them to watch the young player fight for jobs. Tell those kids looking for a roster spot those last games are meaningless..

Coaches also complained when the preseason was reduced from 6 to 4 games.  And the same old tired arguments were bandied about.  Funny how many fans and sportwriters now proclaim that the quality of play is better than ever; reduction of the preseason did not bring about doom and gloom. If/when preseason games are reduced to two, coaches will adjust.


ravmaniac wrote: Players and coaches HATE Thursday night football. No reason to have themother than more money in the owners pockets. 


I could care less what the players and coaches like.  They are the well compensated employees.  We (the fans) are the consumers who make their well compensated jobs possible by attending games, buying NFL-logo products, and watching TNF on TV.  As long as TNF gets good ratings, it will be profitable.  I'm all for it, except for late season home TNF games.

"Lining the owners pockets"?  The owners plow bilions into the product, and are entitled to get an ROI.  It's called "capitalism".  Economics 101.



ravmaniac wrote:

  The previous European league flopped. A team over there will have draw like that of the Jags..  Stupid to put an NFL team in the heart of the SEC and it will be stupid to put one where Soccer rules the roost...
Regular season NFL games at London, Toronto, and Mexico City generally sell out.  NFL Europa was a very minor league.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/29/2012 1:48 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



theravenkidd wrote:
21XXXV wrote: Yes, this league really cares about the health of it's players.  

Using Replacement Refs!

Then even afterwards, using part time senior-aged refs, average age 58, when the players are averaging 27 years old that they are trying to police.

Thursday Night Football Games

Possible move to 18 Game Schedules

46 Active for Game Day, s/b 53

No Thigh Pads, Knee Pads Hip Pads, etc...

Hell four years ago MNF most popular pre-game segment was You got 'Jacked Up'!
Now it'll be called "You got love tapped!!"
Actually, I think that is fantastic idea.

For about two weeks before the return of the regular officials, the ticker on ESPN News reported supposedly blown calls. Some of the calls didn't affect the outcome of the game. Nonetheless, a decision was made at ESPN to report on these calls, to make and keep the matter within our consciousnesses.

ESPN decided to pick a side in the NFL/Officials Controversy -- I'd like to see them do the same thing with these Defenseless Receiver/Roughing the Passer penalties.

"You got love tapped!" would be a great weekly feature.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/29/2012 1:50 PM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Great post Canuck.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 2:04 PM

RE: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


The only night games I like are preseason. Love 1 PM 4 is ok. While I like to watch TNF, I hate going-- Im not convinced that's why we had so many injuries--4 games in 18 days .

"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in.You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch!'If you go in any other way you're gonna lose.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 10:01 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


I almost completely forgot Thursday football this year and it screwed up my Fantasy Football something fierce.  By the time I get my kids to bed it's 8:30 and beyond time to edit starters.  It was almost a guarantee that I had a player on my bench that I would have had in the lineup.  I hate Thursday night games.

I wish they would do Saturday night games all year.  Screw college football.  They can flex their games in the same way the NFL does or do a College Friday Night Lights game.  Even if the NFL did a Friday Night game, that would be better than Thursday.  That's a quick turnaround for big games.  And one could argue that the teams that don't have a Thursday Night game might have a bit of an advantage over the ones that do in the long run.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 10:47 PM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



MistaT wrote:
Coaches also complained when the preseason was reduced from 6 to 4 games.  And the same old tired arguments were bandied about.  Funny how many fans and sportwriters now proclaim that the quality of play is better than ever; reduction of the preseason did not bring about doom and gloom. If/when preseason games are reduced to two, coaches will adjust.

The Players Union shot down the idea of an 18 game season with 2 preseason games.




 
I could care less what the players and coaches like.  They are the well compensated employees.  We (the fans) are the consumers who make their well compensated jobs possible by attending games, buying NFL-logo products, and watching TNF on TV.  As long as TNF gets good ratings, it will be profitable.  I'm all for it, except for late season home TNF games.

"Lining the owners pockets"?  The owners plow bilions into the product, and are entitled to get an ROI.  It's called "capitalism".  Economics 101.

Well hell lets play every night and forget about Sunday afternoons.   Yeah you don't care because you're not the one getting th ecrap hit ou tof you on sunday an dthen doing it again on Thursday. The players need time to reat and heal up a bit..



Regular season NFL games at London, Toronto, and Mexico City generally sell out.  NFL Europa was a very minor league. 1 infrequent game. Lets see how the do 10 weeks a year.   Do you really feel that an NFL game in Mexico city is even safe to play these days?  Games in London do not sell out. Wembly Stadium holds 90,000 to 105,000. The NFL has been drawing 84,000. 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/30/2012 7:38 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 


Based on last years NFL PA agreement, I would say the Players Union is far from a union. The 18 game season is coming, it's just comi8ng with a few stipulations, believe it.

Expanded Rosters
Uniform or more Bye weeks.
Less Preseaon Games
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/30/2012 8:53 AM

Re: The NFL under Roger Goodell is a Joke 



21XXXV wrote: Based on last years NFL PA agreement, I would say the Players Union is far from a union. The 18 game season is coming, it's just comi8ng with a few stipulations, believe it.

Expanded Rosters
Uniform or more Bye weeks.
Less Preseaon Games
you don't need to expand the rosters. Just eliminate the 43 man game day rule that goes back to ancient history of the NFL..

No to 18 games....
Reply | Quote