Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma

Avatar

Posted: 7/2/2014 7:51 AM

19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma 


19 Days to Camp: Alex Smith

Nick Athan
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher

When the Kansas City Chiefs acquired Quarterback Alex Smith in March of 2013, they did so knowing it wouldn’t cost too much in draft compensation or salary over the next two years. But in stabilizing the one position that’s been out of control for more than a decade on this team, they have a bigger issue at hand in deciding to offer him a long term contract or let him walk after the season.

Last edited 7/2/2014 7:52 AM by ChiefsInsider

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 10:25 AM

Re: 19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma 


I agree with most of the article Nick. The one part I disagree with is that he will probably be more active in Free Agency with a rising cap. I honestly don't think he will. I think what we saw the first year will never happen again. I think what we saw this year will be par for the course with Dorsey. Very little to no activity. If you look at the Packers, they like to build through the draft and don't visit Free Agency much. That appears to be how Dorsey wants to run things as well imo.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 7:57 PM

Re: 19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma 



KCChiefsfan75 wrote: I agree with most of the article Nick. The one part I disagree with is that he will probably be more active in Free Agency with a rising cap. I honestly don't think he will. I think what we saw the first year will never happen again. I think what we saw this year will be par for the course with Dorsey. Very little to no activity. If you look at the Packers, they like to build through the draft and don't visit Free Agency much. That appears to be how Dorsey wants to run things as well imo.

I think it might be a little too early to say that we know Dorsey's MO.  The two years have been so different, it could indicate a lot of things.  Personally, I think/hope it means he is always thinking about both the short- and long-term plan.  In year 1, he signed FA to make us competitive immediately.  In year 2, we had cap issues and FA he felt we could afford to lose, so he let them go with an eye toward getting compensatory picks.  I hope he evaluates each year on its own merits as opposed to being too entrenched in a plan.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 8:21 PM

Re: 19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma 



Adamixoye wrote:
KCChiefsfan75 wrote: I agree with most of the article Nick. The one part I disagree with is that he will probably be more active in Free Agency with a rising cap. I honestly don't think he will. I think what we saw the first year will never happen again. I think what we saw this year will be par for the course with Dorsey. Very little to no activity. If you look at the Packers, they like to build through the draft and don't visit Free Agency much. That appears to be how Dorsey wants to run things as well imo.

I think it might be a little too early to say that we know Dorsey's MO.  The two years have been so different, it could indicate a lot of things.  Personally, I think/hope it means he is always thinking about both the short- and long-term plan.  In year 1, he signed FA to make us competitive immediately.  In year 2, we had cap issues and FA he felt we could afford to lose, so he let them go with an eye toward getting compensatory picks.  I hope he evaluates each year on its own merits as opposed to being too entrenched in a plan.
I think the first year was more of an aberration and only happened because he needed to churn the roster to make it competitive and get rid of the dead weight and players who wouldn't fit us schematically. The reason I am comfortable in saying that will probably be Dorsey's MO is because you usually tend to do things in a very similar manner to the people who mentored you. Thompson mentored Dorsey. Now that isn't a guarantee that he will do things exactly like Thompson but I think he will have some similar tendencies. I believe he absolutely believes in building through the draft and he himself has stated this as well. That said, IF there is indeed a quality Free Agent to be had at a place of need on our team, I do not think Dorsey will ignore that. At the very least he will look into it and find out the details. I think he will always be open to any type of acquisition that will improve this team and will turn over every stone. I just feel like his dips will be minimal into Free Agency especially as we gain more and more depth and get more and more of our drafts into place.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 8:45 PM

Re: 19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma 


But there's plenty of examples of guys who did things rather differently than who they were mentored by. Both Pioli and Dimitroff didn't exactly replicate the Patriot Way. They took different things from it, but added ideas of their own (for better or worse).

I have no doubt that Dorsey values the draft, so I'm sort of splitting hairs when I'm trying to draw this distinction. But I don't think we can automatically assume that we're going to be seeing an exact replica of the Packers model, or that that even means a heavy emphasis on the draft while rarely dipping our toes into FA. Year 1 may have been an aberration, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it again from time to time as the situation dictates.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/5/2014 9:59 PM

Re: 19 Days to Camp: The Alex Smith Dilemma 





---------------------------------------------
--- KCChiefsfan75 wrote:


Adamixoye wrote:
KCChiefsfan75 wrote: I agree with most of the article Nick. The one part I disagree with is that he will probably be more active in Free Agency with a rising cap. I honestly don't think he will. I think what we saw the first year will never happen again. I think what we saw this year will be par for the course with Dorsey. Very little to no activity. If you look at the Packers, they like to build through the draft and don't visit Free Agency much. That appears to be how Dorsey wants to run things as well imo.

I think it might be a little too early to say that we know Dorsey's MO.  The two years have been so different, it could indicate a lot of things.  Personally, I think/hope it means he is always thinking about both the short- and long-term plan.  In year 1, he signed FA to make us competitive immediately.  In year 2, we had cap issues and FA he felt we could afford to lose, so he let them go with an eye toward getting compensatory picks.  I hope he evaluates each year on its own merits as opposed to being too entrenched in a plan.
I think the first year was more of an aberration and only happened because he needed to churn the roster to make it competitive and get rid of the dead weight and players who wouldn't fit us schematically. The reason I am comfortable in saying that will probably be Dorsey's MO is because you usually tend to do things in a very similar manner to the people who mentored you. Thompson mentored Dorsey. Now that isn't a guarantee that he will do things exactly like Thompson but I think he will have some similar tendencies. I believe he absolutely believes in building through the draft and he himself has stated this as well. That said, IF there is indeed a quality Free Agent to be had at a place of need on our team, I do not think Dorsey will ignore that. At the very least he will look into it and find out the details. I think he will always be open to any type of acquisition that will improve this team and will turn over every stone. I just feel like his dips will be minimal into Free Agency especially as we gain more and more depth and get more and more of our drafts into place.

-------------------- -------------------------
Pioli nor dimitroff did things like belichek. This idea that Dorsey will follow in ted Thompson's strategy of building a franchise...well I'm not buying it. Dorsey is his own man with his own plans not to mention Dorsey was hand picked by Reid. I don't care what they say in public there's no doubt in my mind that Reid has significant influence.
Reply | Quote