Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

What will it take for Garrett to keep his job?

Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 1:42 AM

What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


Playoffs or bust?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 3:13 AM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


I would think the better question would be, "What will it take to convince the Jones' to get rid of Garret?".
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 6:45 AM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


i am no garrett fan, thats oretty much common knowledge but whilst jj is in charge of picking olayers for this D, its pointless in making a change.
this DL may very well be worse than last years, in fact it maybbe the least talented ever assembled in this league
Reply | Quote
  • lau4sta
  • Cowboys Water Boy
  • 52 posts this site

Posted: 8/24/2014 7:17 AM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


I'm sad to say it but this version of the Dallas Cowboys is just another "Dead to the neck up" team making the same mistakes and playing the exact same we've seen for the last 4 years.   RHG is just a "Dead Coach Walking" at this point but Jerry will wait to clean house at the end of another miserable season.

So sad...!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 8:43 AM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 



UnionJack8 wrote: i am no garrett fan, thats oretty much common knowledge but whilst jj is in charge of picking olayers for this D, its pointless in making a change.
this DL may very well be worse than last years, in fact it maybbe the least talented ever assembled in this league
             Here's a better question.........if you were building a team, how many of our DLmen would you draft as starter? Just to think, these are guys we're relying on to stop the run AND pressure opposing QBs.

Hell, even Jerry admitted, for us to have a chance, the offense is going to have score a lot of points. In other words, he have ZERO confidence his own team's ability to stop anyone.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 10:51 AM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


And throw in the entire Defensive staff.  A big part of coaching is helping evaluate players and develop players, sad to say we're just not seeing positive results with Marinelli, don't see any promising talent that he's developed or brought in, we still can't stop the run, maybe you make a case for Selvie.

Since switching from the 3-4 and bringing in Marinelli & Kiffen we've seen the play of Carter & Mo get worse, we still haven't solved the age long problem at Safety, Bruce Carter has gotten worse and our D-line is a mess. We can't seem to find any run stuffers or pass rushers and we constantly have injured players.

It didn't take Parcell's 2 years to switch to a 3-4 and be competitive enough for this team to make the playoffs, in short we are lost with Red, the switch to the 4-3 was a disaster and Jerry...well...I see a 5-11 coming directly at this team and we're back to the Campo days.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 11:02 AM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


if melton/spencer  can prove their health thats it.
Too much sh*t being thrown at the wall hoping it'll stick
Hawkeye760 wrote:
UnionJack8 wrote: i am no garrett fan, thats oretty much common knowledge but whilst jj is in charge of picking olayers for this D, its pointless in making a change.
this DL may very well be worse than last years, in fact it maybbe the least talented ever assembled in this league
             Here's a better question.........if you were building a team, how many of our DLmen would you draft as starter? Just to think, these are guys we're relying on to stop the run AND pressure opposing QBs.

Hell, even Jerry admitted, for us to have a chance, the offense is going to have score a lot of points. In other words, he have ZERO confidence his own team's ability to stop anyone.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 12:14 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 



UnionJack8 wrote: if melton/spencer  can prove their health thats it.
Too much sh*t being thrown at the wall hoping it'll stick
Hawkeye760 wrote:
UnionJack8 wrote: i am no garrett fan, thats oretty much common knowledge but whilst jj is in charge of picking olayers for this D, its pointless in making a change.
this DL may very well be worse than last years, in fact it maybbe the least talented ever assembled in this league
             Here's a better question.........if you were building a team, how many of our DLmen would you draft as starter? Just to think, these are guys we're relying on to stop the run AND pressure opposing QBs.

Hell, even Jerry admitted, for us to have a chance, the offense is going to have score a lot of points. In other words, he have ZERO confidence his own team's ability to stop anyone.
             Exactly........yet these are guys that will be going against all pro linemen week after week.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 5:52 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


I think Garrett is safe playoffs or not.  Jones can just say they have a plan to get back and he's part of that plan.  If they get to the playoffs, so much the better, but not essential to his survival.  Think about it from the other side out.  If Garrett was fired there would be pressure to get an established coach and those tend to demand more control than Jones would feel comfortable giving up.  I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett got an extension this year win or lose.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 5:55 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 



Texas56 wrote: I think Garrett is safe playoffs or not.  Jones can just say they have a plan to get back and he's part of that plan.  If they get to the playoffs, so much the better, but not essential to his survival.  Think about it from the other side out.  If Garrett was fired there would be pressure to get an established coach and those tend to demand more control than Jones would feel comfortable giving up.  I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett got an extension this year win or lose.
Everyone that pays attention knows the deficiencies entering the season. It's no secret an isn't Garrett's fault.
 photo Picture1_zpsf47cd697.png
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 5:57 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


JG can go 0-16 and he would still be safe. Jerry is too emotionally vested in him.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 6:01 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


i don't think he's had a full deck of cards to play with his entire time here. this year as well, the defense is predicted to be at an all time worst level type of defense. lombardi couldn't even do much with the team we have this season.

i personally like garrett. he's a good leader and a good talent evaluator. what he lacks is game management skills but given the fact how green he was when hired and how he has progressed over time, i think even that part is coming together for him. its just that he never had a complete team that you could say was built to contend in the past 2-3 years.

it would be tough to let him go, but if that decision is made, i would understand.

still think that his best chance to succeed would come at his 2nd job because by the time the cowboys get their defense back to par, romo would be too old and not as effective.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 6:03 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 



THElk8701 wrote: JG can go 0-16 and he would still be safe. Jerry is too emotionally vested in him.
Has nothing to do with that. there are things we don;;t see. Jerry knows what it takes to coach in this league and sees Garrett everyday. 

There isn't a single coach that could have done much better given the hand dealt over the past couple seasons.
 photo Picture1_zpsf47cd697.png
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 6:30 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


Based on the fact that he still has a job I would say a pulse?
Reply | Quote
  • ranch10
  • #1 Cowboys Fan
  • 4151 posts this site

Posted: 8/24/2014 7:03 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


Perform a coaching miracle on defense? Jerry can let him go and still say that he never had to fire him. In some odd sense, he can call that a personal victory and have his new head coach.
Still a Cowboys fan despite Jerry Jones and the longest Super Bowl drought in franchise history 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 7:07 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


Just out of curiosity, who dealt the hand Garrett has played with?
5CountEm5 wrote:
THElk8701 wrote: JG can go 0-16 and he would still be safe. Jerry is too emotionally vested in him.
Has nothing to do with that. there are things we don;;t see. Jerry knows what it takes to coach in this league and sees Garrett everyday. 

There isn't a single coach that could have done much better given the hand dealt over the past couple seasons.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/24/2014 7:09 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


I'll go at this question from another angle.  Coaches, successful ones at least, tend to establish an identity for the teams they coach which carries over no matter where they go.  So, finish the sentence. 

"A Jason Garrett team is....."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 8:04 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


He, Jerry and the scouting dept and entire front office. Oh and bad luck on the injury front for the most part.
Texas56 wrote: Just out of curiosity, who dealt the hand Garrett has played with?
5CountEm5 wrote:
THElk8701 wrote: JG can go 0-16 and he would still be safe. Jerry is too emotionally vested in him.
Has nothing to do with that. there are things we don;;t see. Jerry knows what it takes to coach in this league and sees Garrett everyday. 

There isn't a single coach that could have done much better given the hand dealt over the past couple seasons.
 photo Picture1_zpsf47cd697.png
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 8:41 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


Q: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job?

A: Jerry continues breathing.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/24/2014 9:53 PM

Re: What will it take for Garrett to keep his job? 


Working for Jerry,  I say Garrett pretty much safe......
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >