Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Zaire the lefty

Posted: 7/5/2014 3:01 PM

Zaire the lefty 


Does Zaire being a left handed QB scare any of you or do you think its a non issue?  

Will ND's Tackles be able to adapt if Golson goes down. 

Or is this just a bunch of BS?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 5:03 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


Non-issue

BK has stated before that he doesnt recruit linemen for a specific position/side.

Between Elmer, Stanley, McGlinchey and Lombard....I think ND is sitting pretty comfortable at the OT position.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 6:01 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


The one thing I could see being somewhat of an issue is the difference in rotation of the ball when thrown by a lefty as opposed to a righty. If Zaire comes in mid-game there will be an adjustment for the receivers. I'm not going to sit here and say it's a game changer and it's destined to cost us games, but it is definitely something to consider and watch.
Reply | Quote
  • rbiddie
  • Biotch Slapper
  • 3200 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 6:31 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


From what I have read, If guys get time to practice with both it should be minimal, Most WR say the biggest difference is seeing the release of the ball and having less time to track as opposed to a righty but as far as "spin" goes, It just feels different due to how the hands feel with the ball drilling into them.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/5/2014 7:10 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


I don't think Kelly would recruit someone who wouldn't fit the team. NONissue


---------------------------------------------
--- SubFANtheTroll wrote:

Does Zaire being a left handed QB scare any of you or do you think its a non issue?  

Will ND's Tackles be able to adapt if Golson goes down. 

Or is this just a bunch of BS?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 9:23 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


Please never put 'Zaire' and any form of the word 'left' in a post title
 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 9:39 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


I'll raise you one and say that if Zaire goes into a game for any reason this season, he will be absolutely electric. Take that to the bank.



PROUDLY REPPING
#8 Malik Zaire
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/5/2014 11:03 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


+1


---------------------------------------------
--- IrishfromA2 wrote:

Please never put 'Zaire' and any form of the word 'left' in a post title

---------------------------------------------

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:20 AM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


I could see a few packages for Zaire. Maybe to keep the 'D' honest.
I think we will see both against Rice. 
KBags wrote: I'll raise you one and say that if Zaire goes into a game for any reason this season, he will be absolutely electric. Take that to the bank.
"There are no shortcuts in life only those we imagine." Frank Leahy GO IRISH !!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:48 AM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


You say this based on the historical lack of transfers and players urged out, right?




---------------------------------------------
--- remmuh80 wrote:

I don't think Kelly would recruit someone who wouldn't fit the team. NONissue


---------------------------------------------
--- SubFANtheTroll wrote:

Does Zaire being a left handed QB scare any of you or do you think its a non issue?  

Will ND's Tackles be able to adapt if Golson goes down. 

Or is this just a bunch of BS?

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:49 AM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


The greatest receiver in the history of football says otherwise.


---------------------------------------------
--- rbiddie wrote:

From what I have read, If guys get time to practice with both it should be minimal, Most WR say the biggest difference is seeing the release of the ball and having less time to track as opposed to a righty but as far as "spin" goes, It just feels different due to how the hands feel with the ball drilling into them.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 10:24 AM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


no difference.
REPRESENTING: #74 OL - CHRISTIAN LOMBARD
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 10:33 AM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


Name one QB Kelly has ever recruited who didn't have the tools to run the offense?




---------------------------------------------
--- GaviND wrote:

You say this based on the historical lack of transfers and players urged out, right?




---------------------------------------------
--- remmuh80 wrote:

I don't think Kelly would recruit someone who wouldn't fit the team. NONissue


---------------------------------------------
--- SubFANtheTroll wrote:

Does Zaire being a left handed QB scare any of you or do you think its a non issue?  

Will ND's Tackles be able to adapt if Golson goes down. 

Or is this just a bunch of BS?

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 7/6/2014 10:35 AM by remmuh80

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 10:36 AM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


This is a non-issue
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:39 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


Luke Massa and Andrew Hendrix....

Before you say Hendrix was a Weis recruit Kelly recruited him at Cincy and when Hendrix flirted with Florida Kelly still went after him.
remmuh80 wrote: Name one QB Kelly has ever recruited who didn't have the tools to run the offense?




---------------------------------------------
--- GaviND wrote:

You say this based on the historical lack of transfers and players urged out, right?




---------------------------------------------
--- remmuh80 wrote:

I don't think Kelly would recruit someone who wouldn't fit the team. NONissue


---------------------------------------------
--- SubFANtheTroll wrote:

Does Zaire being a left handed QB scare any of you or do you think its a non issue?  

Will ND's Tackles be able to adapt if Golson goes down. 

Or is this just a bunch of BS?

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 7/6/2014 12:43 PM by SubFANtheTroll

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:00 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


And how long did it  take Jerry Rice to change from Montana to Young?
GaviND wrote: The greatest receiver in the history of football says otherwise.


---------------------------------------------
--- rbiddie wrote:

From what I have read, If guys get time to practice with both it should be minimal, Most WR say the biggest difference is seeing the release of the ball and having less time to track as opposed to a righty but as far as "spin" goes, It just feels different due to how the hands feel with the ball drilling into them.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:01 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


Massa?

Hendrix?


---------------------------------------------
--- remmuh80 wrote:

Name one QB Kelly has ever recruited who didn't have the tools to run the offense?




---------------------------------------------
--- GaviND wrote:

You say this based on the historical lack of transfers and players urged out, right?




---------------------------------------------
--- remmuh80 wrote:

I don't think Kelly would recruit someone who wouldn't fit the team. NONissue


---------------------------------------------
--- SubFANtheTroll wrote:

Does Zaire being a left handed QB scare any of you or do you think its a non issue?  

Will ND's Tackles be able to adapt if Golson goes down. 

Or is this just a bunch of BS?

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:03 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


What makes anyone think that MZ won't be the starter come Rice? He probably won't and if BK is going to play these silly rabbit games like he does with his QBs, MZ just may not stick around. BK better develop a couple of QBs into world class college QBs and that means having MZ and EG actually have a non pre-determined audition for the top spot. The spring game meant very little. MZ looked good first half. EG not so much. Neither looked good in the 2nd half. Instead of BK worrying so much about calling plays and installing gimmicky tricks like holding up pictures of Alex Flanagan on the sideline, he needs to actually develop these kids to be game changing commanders who understand the technical part of playing the position. Sometimes that dude worries me with the way he handles the QBs and the offense. I truly believe that our TEs and Manti developed in spite of BK and all their success  was achieved thru  their individual immense raw talent.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:18 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


It's actually interesting to look back at Rice's career stats. It was a continued progression with Montana and then, in 1991 and 1992, there was a fairly significant drop in his production (in the prime of his career, mind you) before he finally picked things back up for another three or four more years and was unquestionably great.

Here's an excerpt from an article I had read a while back:

Until 1991, however, Young was a novice at running the offense, and his hard passes had that awkward, left-handed spin. Rice, who kept seeing Montana cooped up in the trainer's room, finally concluded last season that he had better accommodate himself to Young or else. From then on, every day during practice, he asked Ted Walsh, a left-handed assistant equipment manager, to hurl passes at him.

"I try to throw hard like Steve does," Walsh said. "Lefties are different. It's not so much the spin, but the angle. The point of the ball comes in different."

Even with the ritual with Walsh, Rice dropped nine passes early this season, two of which became interceptions. His difficulties reached a crescendo in Dallas, when Young seemed to be wearing earplugs whenever Rice told him he was open. Irvin had 12 catches for 168 yards and 1 touchdown; Rice had only 2 receptions until the final five minutes, and he implied it was Young's fault.
At last year's Pro Bowl, Irvin had pranced along the sideline in front of Rice and said, "Give me the ball, I'm the man," and now the Dallas game served as an exclamation point after that remark. Moreover, Rice, who at the time of the Cowboys game had only three touchdowns all season, was being dethroned by the Bay Area news media. No Longer the Darling

"It was so weird," Rice said. "They had started to count me out, man. I got really frustrated behind that. I was like, you know, I've been around so long, I don't think my production had dropped or anything. But they started saying other guys were better than me, and that really surprised me. It really did."

---------------------------------------------
--- C5hydro wrote:

And how long did it  take Jerry Rice to change from Montana to Young?
GaviND wrote: The greatest receiver in the history of football says otherwise.


---------------------------------------------
--- rbiddie wrote:

From what I have read, If guys get time to practice with both it should be minimal, Most WR say the biggest difference is seeing the release of the ball and having less time to track as opposed to a righty but as far as "spin" goes, It just feels different due to how the hands feel with the ball drilling into them.

---------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:22 PM

Re: Zaire the lefty 


You answered your own question in your second sentence: he probably won't be.

I wouldn't say that Kelly is playing rabbit games. I believe it is an open competition. I also believe that Golson is better or, at the very least, deserves the first shot.

Further, by leaving things an open competition he is going to get the most out of both players. Which is a good thing -- would you want either of them disinterested or unengaged at practice?

Zaire will play plenty this year.




---------------------------------------------
--- MightyIgor wrote:

What makes anyone think that MZ won't be the starter come Rice? He probably won't and if BK is going to play these silly rabbit games like he does with his QBs, MZ just may not stick around. BK better develop a couple of QBs into world class college QBs and that means having MZ and EG actually have a non pre-determined audition for the top spot. The spring game meant very little. MZ looked good first half. EG not so much. Neither looked good in the 2nd half. Instead of BK worrying so much about calling plays and installing gimmicky tricks like holding up pictures of Alex Flanagan on the sideline, he needs to actually develop these kids to be game changing commanders who understand the technical part of playing the position. Sometimes that dude worries me with the way he handles the QBs and the offense. I truly believe that our TEs and Manti developed in spite of BK and all their success  was achieved thru  their individual immense raw talent.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >