Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Blake Barnett

Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 8:26 PM

Blake Barnett 


Apparently visited Oregon this weekend. Experts on the other site seem to think he will end up at Oregon.
 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 8:30 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


I saw the same thing. He wouldn't be visiting if he was 100% committed. Hopefully he was honest with the staff. It's still early enough to rerecruit the young man.


Proudly Repping the 213 Pound Bosco Missile - #22 Elijah Shumate

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/3/2014 8:33 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


The staff knew he was going.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 8:34 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Rather have it happen now then 2 weeks before NSD
 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 9:06 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Deuces.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 10:09 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Can't blame him for visiting.  ND knew about the visit.  No need to be concerned.  If he doesn't show up for Irish Invasion on the 20th, then there might be something to this.  I'm fully confident that he'll realize that Oregon doesn't hold a candle when it comes to the total package that ND delivers.  Flashy uniforms and a fast offense works for some kids, but the smart ones choose a place they can set themselves up for life success if football doesn't work out.
<<<<<<<<<<<----------->>>>>>>>>>>>
Dan "Don't Call Me Michael J." Fox
6'3", 240 lbs, GS ILB
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 10:36 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Very bad news. OUs depth chart is parting like the Red Sea after this year. ND has a loaded depth chart. It's possible Blake wouldn't play until his redshirt junior year.

Never underestimate the draw of playing time.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 10:39 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


According to Irish Illustrated he's still coming to the invasion camp. We've got a chance to resolidify him.
threehitter wrote: Can't blame him for visiting.  ND knew about the visit.  No need to be concerned.  If he doesn't show up for Irish Invasion on the 20th, then there might be something to this.  I'm fully confident that he'll realize that Oregon doesn't hold a candle when it comes to the total package that ND delivers.  Flashy uniforms and a fast offense works for some kids, but the smart ones choose a place they can set themselves up for life success if football doesn't work out.


Greg "Bullet-Train" Bryant
B*tch he'll run right through you!

Last edited 6/3/2014 10:40 PM by GoldRushND

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 12:04 AM

I would think Irish Invasion is the key 


...if he shows up, it's still a battle. If he doesn't, he's gone.

Hopefully ND can hold this one, because Kelly was all over Barnett well before the kid really blew up during the camp circuit. It certainly doesn't look good right now, though. The vast majority of the time, if they visit they're gone.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 9:23 AM

Re: Blake Barnett 


I totally understand why he is hesitating... but man... he's going to be a nice player.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 10:17 AM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Oregon will be parting like the Red Sea soon.

that program is no longer "cool"  esp when the NCAA listens to Saban and stops teams from running plays every 3.75 seconds.

Kids with NFL dreams should never go play QB at Oregon.  There's a stereotype with that position from that school.  and you will get no practice at reading defense coverages or checking down. 

I repeat "no reason to go to Oregon unless you know you dont want to play in the NFL as a QB"



dosch44 wrote: Very bad news. OUs depth chart is parting like the Red Sea after this year. ND has a loaded depth chart. It's possible Blake wouldn't play until his redshirt junior year.

Never underestimate the draw of playing time.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 11:33 AM

Re: Blake Barnett 


You do realize Oregon's QB would have been the 1st QB taken in this years NFL draft?


---------------------------------------------
--- remmuh80 wrote:

Oregon will be parting like the Red Sea soon.

that program is no longer "cool"  esp when the NCAA listens to Saban and stops teams from running plays every 3.75 seconds.

Kids with NFL dreams should never go play QB at Oregon.  There's a stereotype with that position from that school.  and you will get no practice at reading defense coverages or checking down. 

I repeat "no reason to go to Oregon unless you know you dont want to play in the NFL as a QB"



dosch44 wrote: Very bad news. OUs depth chart is parting like the Red Sea after this year. ND has a loaded depth chart. It's possible Blake wouldn't play until his redshirt junior year.

Never underestimate the draw of playing time.


---------------------------------------------
 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 11:41 AM

^ this ...I agree with Dosch 


It's hard the fault the kid for taking a good, hard look at Oregon.  They can offer him playing time, an electric offensive system, and a bunch of facilities that are unbelievable.  I hope he stays Irish in the end, but like I said...usually when they visit, they're gone.  He'll likely end up a 5-star prospect, too.  The kid's been ripping up the camp circuit.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 1:38 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Granted, fretting won't help any, but there's no real to assume he'll end up at ND.

threehitter wrote: No need to be concerned.


  

Junior DE Shilique Calhoun &
Sophomore OLB James Onwualu

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 3:02 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


I agree.  I believe Oregon is going to begin a long, gradual glide into mediocrity again. 

I think their ceiling has been reached, their defense is suspect, and teams know how to beat them. 

I don't blame Barnett for doing his homework, he absolutely should take visits and make sure he picked the right school.  I think he'll stick with ND, but if he doesn't, oh well.  Malike Zaire loooogout!


remmuh80 wrote: Oregon will be parting like the Red Sea soon.

that program is no longer "cool"  esp when the NCAA listens to Saban and stops teams from running plays every 3.75 seconds.

Kids with NFL dreams should never go play QB at Oregon.  There's a stereotype with that position from that school.  and you will get no practice at reading defense coverages or checking down. 

I repeat "no reason to go to Oregon unless you know you dont want to play in the NFL as a QB"



dosch44 wrote: Very bad news. OUs depth chart is parting like the Red Sea after this year. ND has a loaded depth chart. It's possible Blake wouldn't play until his redshirt junior year.

Never underestimate the draw of playing time.



PROUDLY REPPING
#8 Malik Zaire
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 3:18 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


Over the last four seasons, Oregon has ranked 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 16th in defensive efficiency.  ND has ranked 27th, 18th, 16th, and 30th.

Oregon's worst season (2013) was equivalent to Te'o & friends in 2012.

KBags wrote:  their defense is suspect


  

Junior DE Shilique Calhoun &
Sophomore OLB James Onwualu

Last edited 6/4/2014 3:29 PM by lumbergh

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 4:09 PM

lumbergh ...Oregon's defense 


I think their defensive rankings need to be looked at in context.  Oregon's offense has them ahead by wide margins in just about every game they play. 

Most of their opponents wind up running their normal offense for only a few series before they're behind by so much that they have to abandon the gameplan (usually a run-centered gameplan that's designed to keep Oregon's offense off the field) and try to score in bunches.  That allows Oregon's defense to pin their ears back and go to town.  I'm not entirely dismissing their defensive rankings, I'm just saying that I don't believe...especially in their case...that you can look at those numbers in a vacuum.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 4:21 PM

Re: lumbergh ...Oregon's defense 


Well, the rankings I cited do exclude "garbage time."

At any rate, there are no stats corrected for pace and quality of opposition which say Oregon has been anything other than outstanding at defense.  It's just baseless to say their defense has been suspect.

TechDomer wrote: I think their defensive rankings need to be looked at in context.  Oregon's offense has them ahead by wide margins in just about every game they play. 

Most of their opponents wind up running their normal offense for only a few series before they're behind by so much that they have to abandon the gameplan (usually a run-centered gameplan that's designed to keep Oregon's offense off the field) and try to score in bunches.  That allows Oregon's defense to pin their ears back and go to town.  I'm not entirely dismissing their defensive rankings, I'm just saying that I don't believe...especially in their case...that you can look at those numbers in a vacuum.


  

Junior DE Shilique Calhoun &
Sophomore OLB James Onwualu

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/4/2014 4:22 PM

Re: lumbergh ...Oregon's defense 


I don' think anyone is looking at them in a vacuum, Tech. For instance, Oregon's defense may end up pinning their ears back and play aggressively due to that lead, but they also have the chance to wear down which leads to giving up long drives and points because their offensive TOP is low.

Oregon averaged 25:33 in TOP last year. The efficiency rankings that Lumbergh posted actually take Oregon's defense out of a vacuum and take lots of factors into account.

So really, if their offense wasn't so fast and efficient, their defensive numbers could be even better.

Teams may abandon their slow down gameplan pretty quickly, but they still possess the ball, on average, 34:26 per game. That's a lot of time for that defense to be on the field.

For comparison's sake, in ND's best year for defensive efficiency, the defense was only on the field for 28:15 per game.

Basically, Oregon has a much better defense than box scores suggest and that's partly what the defensive efficiency rankings are pointing out.

Last edited 6/4/2014 4:23 PM by amruther24

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/4/2014 4:28 PM

Re: Blake Barnett 


I think there is a great blueprint out there on how to beat Oregon. It will be interesting how their offense evolves to address the rather simple ways their up tempo offense is somewhat neutralized.

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >