Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Jumbotron

Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 7:21 PM

Jumbotron 


I was sick that I couldn't attend my 50th Reunion this past weekend, but the treatments I'm undergoing prevented that. However.... My son, "LoyalIrish," Class of 1989, attended his 25th, and in one of the breakout sessions, he confronted the speaker, who is a prime mover of the various expansion projects. I think his name was Douglas Marsh.

He was asked point blank if we are going to get a Jumbotron. The answer was something like, "It will happen, but the technology is rapidly changing, and we are going to get the RIGHT "message board." He spoke in terms of a three to five year time frame. If it does happen, it will likely be in the South end zone.

For what it's worth....
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote
  • rbiddie
  • Biotch Slapper
  • 3387 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 7:56 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


BK was asked about it, his "statement" was, ND will get a new message board(s) not sure if it means video or what exactly.

I am of the belief that as much as BK panders the fans to make noise, a video board playing highlights, replays, big hits, great offensive plays would be the ideal way to pump enthusiasm through the crowds.

Honestly, ND stadium should be one of the loudest stadiums in college football, visiting teams should be afraid.


Hell, I get pumped watching those pump up videos on youttube. Play a bunch of those before the game, between quarters and after the band at halftime.

Just my thoughts.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 8:54 PM

Re: Jumbotron 



rbiddie wrote: BK was asked about it, his "statement" was, ND will get a new message board(s) not sure if it means video or what exactly.

I am of the belief that as much as BK panders the fans to make noise, a video board playing highlights, replays, big hits, great offensive plays would be the ideal way to pump enthusiasm through the crowds.

Honestly, ND stadium should be one of the loudest stadiums in college football, visiting teams should be afraid.


Hell, I get pumped watching those pump up videos on youttube. Play a bunch of those before the game, between quarters and after the band at halftime.

Just my thoughts.
I just hope we get a state of the art Jumbotron before I die......and I get older every day.
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 8:54 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


Down in front!!! I don't want any of you assholes blocking my view.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 9:20 PM

Re: Jumbotron 



dosch44 wrote: Down in front!!! I don't want any of you assholes blocking my view.
We won't block your view, gramps, you can see every play on our new Jumbotron.....every play that was conducted on our new artificial turf field.

By the way, my son told me that the field has completely been stripped of grass, and they went down about 12 inches....
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote
  • rbiddie
  • Biotch Slapper
  • 3387 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 9:30 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


I know und.com posted a video of some of the sod being removed, do not remember the name of it but it had like Part 1, I figured there would be more but have not seen any more of them, I guess Part 2 might be the installation timeline video.

lmao, As soon as I posted this, I go to und.com and part 2 is up on the sod removal
ndalum64 wrote:
dosch44 wrote: Down in front!!! I don't want any of you assholes blocking my view.
We won't block your view, gramps, you can see every play on our new Jumbotron.....every play that was conducted on our new artificial turf field.

By the way, my son told me that the field has completely been stripped of grass, and they went down about 12 inches....

Last edited 6/2/2014 9:31 PM by rbiddie

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 9:37 PM

Re: Jumbotron 



rbiddie wrote: I know und.com posted a video of some of the sod being removed, do not remember the name of it but it had like Part 1, I figured there would be more but have not seen any more of them, I guess Part 2 might be the installation timeline video.

lmao, As soon as I posted this, I go to und.com and part 2 is up on the sod removal
ndalum64 wrote:
dosch44 wrote: Down in front!!! I don't want any of you assholes blocking my view.
We won't block your view, gramps, you can see every play on our new Jumbotron.....every play that was conducted on our new artificial turf field.

By the way, my son told me that the field has completely been stripped of grass, and they went down about 12 inches....
Cool. Just looked at it.
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/2/2014 9:48 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


Dirt fields, leather helmets, and plywood signs for LIFE!

I also think the team should eschew the forward pass AND go back to 11 man football.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/2/2014 10:16 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


Earth to BK. You want crowd noise? Crowd noise is directly proportional to the product on the field. For everyone complaining about the lack of noise at the stadium, Bama could win in our stadium. Bama could win playing in a morgue. Same goes for FSU and Auburn. Fourth and nine vs USC was as loud as I have ever heard the stadium and we still failed to make the play and we still lost. I doubt that the crowd noise is overwhelming when Bama plays NW Eastern Georgia A&M State Polytech School For The Tall. If some fans want so desperately to be entertained by a Jumbo, that tells me the product on the field is lacking in some way. I'm sure Rockne would want a Jumbo and if that would put an end to the always witty grandpa jokes, then I am for it also. With TR gone and turf on the way, all we need is a Jumbo and there shouldn't be anymore complaining about anything. It's a win, win.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/2/2014 10:33 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


Notre Dame never plays FCS opponents, so by your measure the crowd should always be loud. They aren't, but those who advocate for a jumbotron are rarely concerned about crowd noise. It's about player and fan experience.

It's not as if ND stadium is some classic place like Wrigley or Fenway. In other words, it's not special architecturally or at least it's not anymore if it ever was.

It's special because of the play on the field and the way it's positioned on campus. Nobody wants to tear it down, just improve it.

Modern football requires modern amenities and Notre Dame can make that work while retaining an old school, traditional stadium atmosphere.

Last edited 6/2/2014 10:36 PM by amruther24

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 10:45 PM

Re: Jumbotron 



amruther24 wrote: Notre Dame never plays FCS opponents, so by your measure the crowd should always be loud. They aren't, but those who advocate for a jumbotron are rarely concerned about crowd noise. It's about player and fan experience.

It's not as if ND stadium is some classic place like Wrigley or Fenway. In other words, it's not special architecturally or at least it's not anymore if it ever was.

It's special because of the play on the field and the way it's positioned on campus. Nobody wants to tear it down, just improve it.

Modern football requires modern amenities and Notre Dame can make that work while retaining an old school, traditional stadium atmosphere.
Wrigley and Fenway are just plain DUMPS. They are outmoded, inefficient, and should be demolished. Now, ND Stadium is getting closer to a 21st Century edifice. We got the turf, now let's add the crowning touch....Jumbotron. It's a pretty impressive place for a school with 8,500 undergraduates and a $9 billion endowment.
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/2/2014 11:04 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


Sure '64, but they also have a very unique style and charm that has very little to do with on-field success. ND Stadium does not and that's my point.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/2/2014 11:17 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


Can't wait to watch a game in your suite, '64. Crates of Moose Drool are on me.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/2/2014 11:47 PM

Re: Jumbotron 


I'm all for a modest, state of the art screen that doesn't blast spam. we need to keep up with fan expectations and technology at some point. Waiting is fine, though. Do it right.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/2/2014 11:55 PM

Re: Jumbotron 



MightyIgor wrote: Earth to BK. You want crowd noise? Crowd noise is directly proportional to the product on the field. For everyone complaining about the lack of noise at the stadium, Bama could win in our stadium. Bama could win playing in a morgue. Same goes for FSU and Auburn. Fourth and nine vs USC was as loud as I have ever heard the stadium and we still failed to make the play and we still lost. I doubt that the crowd noise is overwhelming when Bama plays NW Eastern Georgia A&M State Polytech School For The Tall. If some fans want so desperately to be entertained by a Jumbo, that tells me the product on the field is lacking in some way. I'm sure Rockne would want a Jumbo and if that would put an end to the always witty grandpa jokes, then I am for it also. With TR gone and turf on the way, all we need is a Jumbo and there shouldn't be anymore complaining about anything. It's a win, win.
Yeah, BK! Stop SUCKING and maybe the crowd will cheer!!

In all seriousness, ND will never have the loudest crowds because we pander to rich, old alums. That's the way it is, and that's the way it's going to be. We can do nothing to change that, so we may as well move on. We're already sold out every game. We're on the right track just making the stadium a more pleasant place to be, making it appeal to young people as well.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/3/2014 8:51 AM

Re: Jumbotron 


I'm surprised they didn't offer to sell off pieces of the sod. I think I would have paid to have a little piece of that history planted in my yard. That was a rare miss by the ND fund raising crew.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 9:04 AM

Re: Jumbotron 



krizmanik wrote: I'm surprised they didn't offer to sell off pieces of the sod. I think I would have paid to have a little piece of that history planted in my yard. That was a rare miss by the ND fund raising crew.
They did sell pieces of sod. But from what I heard, the response was less than what they'd hoped for.
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 9:05 AM

Re: Jumbotron 


Can you believe Dosch passed 20,000 posts? I should live so long!
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/3/2014 10:07 AM

Re: Jumbotron 


Wait, are we even allowed to be pumped up as fans at ND Stadium? Every time I even stand up to cheer, some dude in a turtleneck starts b!tching!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/3/2014 10:16 AM

Re: Jumbotron 



irishgold07 wrote: Wait, are we even allowed to be pumped up as fans at ND Stadium? Every time I even stand up to cheer, some dude in a turtleneck starts b!tching!
That's what God gave you a middle finger for!
Proudly repping #5, Everett Golson. Let's get the season started

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >