Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Williamson on Allen

Avatar

Posted: 04/08/2014 8:35 AM

Williamson on Allen 


Good morning. In this ESPN Insider piece , ESPN NFL Insider Matt Williamson ranked his No. 1 pass catchers in the league, and San Diego’s Keenan Allen fell short of making the list.
espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers

Williamson’s list of 14 players includes two tight ends -- New England’s Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham of the New Orleans Saints. He states that just because a player is the No. 1 target on a team doesn’t necessarily make him a No. 1 receiver.

Players such as Detroit’s Calvin Johnson, Cincinnati’s A.J. Green and Atlanta’s Julio Jones are obvious choices.

I believe Allen showed he can be a No. 1 in receiver in the NFL during his impressive rookie season. But in order to be placed on a list with perennial Pro Bowlers such as Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson, Allen has to put up those same numbers for more than one season.

Here’s how Williamson defined his criteria for a No. 1 pass receiver:
They need to have the ability to separate from man coverage, understand how to find the soft spots in zones and have very strong athletic traits.
They need to be strong, fast and play big, which often -- but not always -- can eliminate shorter wide receivers from this equation.
They must be productive, even when opposing defenses are scheming to take them out of the equation; No. 1 receivers can be uncoverable and never come off the field.
They must display the above traits with consistency.

Hey Matt he was Rookie for Crissake, I mainly post this guys stuff to show what a clown he is and I hope the Chargers Never hire him again!


To be a Contender, the Luxury of carrying Dead Weight is not an Option
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/08/2014 10:00 AM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Matt Williamson is a hack....okay I've said it but geez dudes haven't you had enough of this know nothing guy?  This is the same guy who says:

Matt Williamson
If Te’o has a long, successful career, it will be because of his ability in coverage. He is a smart player who reads the game well and plays with discipline.

Obviously he never watched his poor gap discipline.  Also this dumb hack didn't know that Teo came off the field on passing downs and was only a 2 down player.  eek1

So do you honestly take anything he says about Allen seriously?  Oh no lets ignore that Allen was only a legitimate OROY candidate.  Geeez this guy is amazing.

What he fails to comprehend is that in some schemes, particularly in a West Coast variant like the Chargers play there is often no #1 WR.  It's all a matter of seeing what the defense gives you and taking it.  It's all a matter of the WRs and the QB reading defenses and understanding their route options. As teams go to a spread West Coast style the classic #1WR isn't relevant nor is one necessary.

I guess Williamson has forgotten offenses that had WR's like the 3 Amigos.  I guess they had 3 #1 WRs.  disbelief
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/08/2014 11:27 AM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


I'm going to read between the lines here (not that I read Williamson's without salt).

I believe Allen showed he can( I think he means IS) be a No. 1 in receiver in the NFL during his impressive rookie season. But in order to be placed on a list with perennial Pro Bowlers such as Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson, Allen has to put up those same numbers for more than one season.

My interpretation is that Williamson believes Allen is already a #1 receiver, based on one year, but like all skeptics, has to prove his worth year after year to have a place on Willy's list.  At some point, he will have cough up that fur ball he accumulates by cleaning (licking) up the errors in his thinking.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/08/2014 1:36 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Beach, it was Te'o's first season and he was playing on a broken foot. And what Williamson says about Te'o seems spot on for his career...if he's going to have one. Te'o can still learn and improve certain elements of his game, don't you agree? Especially with two healthy feet?

You can keep hating. That's okay, too.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/08/2014 6:36 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Wow it took all of 1 post for beach to derail this thread with Te'o again.  Passing over that horse sh*t conversation......



The only thing Allen has to do to improve from last season is to simply be featured more than he was. It took until about week 5 for him to become a factor, and then the final 4 games of the season his targets were literally cut in half (he still scored 5TDs in that time frame) as we began to lean HEAVILY on Ryan Mathews.....too much so as it turned out, as I predicted when we lost him and Whizendunce was too stupid to alter the game plan until it was too late.

He'll start week 1 as the #1 passing option this year, probably iron out some of those rookie mistakes from last season, and continue to run circles around some of the best CBs in the league. And it would help if the Chargers could get something out of the other WR position to limit the double teams Allen gets.

Last edited 04/08/2014 6:37 PM by syxwunine

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/08/2014 6:48 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Not bad for a kid who blew up his knee, that's why it's worth it to take a flyer IMO on these'RED SHIRT' players,
Especially if we get them in later rounds and at cheaper than normal prices



---------------------------------------------
--- syxwunine wrote:

Wow it took all of 1 post for beach to derail this thread with Te'o again.  Passing over that horse sh*t conversation......



The only thing Allen has to do to improve from last season is to simply be featured more than he was. It took until about week 5 for him to become a factor, and then the final 4 games of the season his targets were literally cut in half (he still scored 5TDs in that time frame) as we began to lean HEAVILY on Ryan Mathews.....too much so as it turned out, as I predicted when we lost him and Whizendunce was too stupid to alter the game plan until it was too late.

He'll start week 1 as the #1 passing option this year, probably iron out some of those rookie mistakes from last season, and continue to run circles around some of the best CBs in the league. And it would help if the Chargers could get something out of the other WR position to limit the double teams Allen gets.

---------------------------------------------


To be a Contender, the Luxury of carrying Dead Weight is not an Option
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/09/2014 9:15 AM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


You know Syx you need to come off your insane need to constantly troll and insult me in your posts.  Frankly I'm getting tired of it.  I've tried to ignore you but it's becoming tiresome.

What I was pointing out with the Teo reference was something Williamson also printed which really shows what a hack he has become.  He simply doesn't do his research so why do people give him the time of day, much less any kind of consideration in what he says. 

Had you bothered to put it into context like everyone else maybe you too would have understood.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/09/2014 3:57 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


The problem with these so called, ahem, "experts" thinking Allen is going to get doubled all the time is that they are ignoring another player.

His quarterback, Philip Rivers.

Once again, the idiocy of "analysis in a vacuum" rears its ridiculous head, ha ha.  Honestly, unless teams rush only 4 or fewer guys every time, meaning they never blitz, they're going to be able to double just one receiver each play.  Even rushing just 4 guys makes it very difficult to effectively double 2 receivers.  Very difficult.  It's just formations, and simple numbers, folks.  So how does this come back to Allen's quarterback?  Here's how.

Unless Rivers can't beat single coverage most of the time, doubling the same guy every play becomes the simplest of reads for the quarterback.  Unfortunately for these, ahem, "expert" analysts, Rivers beats single coverage with his eyes closed while sitting on the crapper.  So even if Allen gets no targets all game, Rivers passes the Bolts up and down the field every single possession, putting up as many points as the Bolts desire by the amount of clock they choose to use in so doing.

And teams aren't going to be that stupid as to give most quarterbacks in this league the same reads every play.  They certainly aren't going to do that against Rivers.  Just no way.

So Allen will get plenty of single coverage attempts.  Plenty.  Can he beat them?  A stupid question, if you ask me, but I'll answer, anyway.  He was already the primary target on many (most) plays for at least the second half of last season, and he beat those coverages then.  Why would he not be even better in his 2nd season, well over a full year removed this time from major knee surgery?

Now, all that said, I agree with the one comment that he needs to show sustained big production for several years to be considered on the same level as the top receivers in this game.  That goes for everybody.  But the rest of the doubts?  Come on.

Apparently Allen is going to play this season with me throwing it to him, and syx, kiwi, Honk, slammer and yantha blocking for me eek1.

---
"I've never been around a 24-year-old 12-year vet."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 4:16 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


88 I'd block for you bro! But you might want Clary over me...which doesn't say much! eek

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 4:18 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


88, your post is the exact reason (Beach) why I post these type of articles. One to prove
this guy did probably 15 minutes of homework on our entire team for a week's worth of articles,and is gives Great fodder to talk about and I WILL keep posting if you all keep responding! 229031_jammin.gif
88Unbeatable82 wrote: The problem with these so called, ahem, "experts" thinking Allen is going to get doubled all the time is that they are ignoring another player.

His quarterback, Philip Rivers.

Once again, the idiocy of "analysis in a vacuum" rears its ridiculous head, ha ha.  Honestly, unless teams rush only 4 or fewer guys every time, meaning they never blitz, they're going to be able to double just one receiver each play.  Even rushing just 4 guys makes it very difficult to effectively double 2 receivers.  Very difficult.  It's just formations, and simple numbers, folks.  So how does this come back to Allen's quarterback?  Here's how.

Unless Rivers can't beat single coverage most of the time, doubling the same guy every play becomes the simplest of reads for the quarterback.  Unfortunately for these, ahem, "expert" analysts, Rivers beats single coverage with his eyes closed while sitting on the crapper.  So even if Allen gets no targets all game, Rivers passes the Bolts up and down the field every single possession, putting up as many points as the Bolts desire by the amount of clock they choose to use in so doing.

And teams aren't going to be that stupid as to give most quarterbacks in this league the same reads every play.  They certainly aren't going to do that against Rivers.  Just no way.

So Allen will get plenty of single coverage attempts.  Plenty.  Can he beat them?  A stupid question, if you ask me, but I'll answer, anyway.  He was already the primary target on many (most) plays for at least the second half of last season, and he beat those coverages then.  Why would he not be even better in his 2nd season, well over a full year removed this time from major knee surgery?

Now, all that said, I agree with the one comment that he needs to show sustained big production for several years to be considered on the same level as the top receivers in this game.  That goes for everybody.  But the rest of the doubts?  Come on.

Apparently Allen is going to play this season with me throwing it to him, and syx, kiwi, Honk, slammer and yantha blocking for me eek1.


To be a Contender, the Luxury of carrying Dead Weight is not an Option

Last edited 04/09/2014 4:20 PM by viseman61

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/09/2014 4:46 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


It always cracks me up when these so called experts give an analysis on a team and you can tell they have very little knowledge of that team or are biased in some way.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 5:03 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


---------------------------------------------
--- Chargerhonk wrote:

88 I'd block for you bro! But you might want Clary over me...which doesn't say much! eek

---------------------------------------------

Dude you guys gotta do it. You know how much salary cap space we could free up?
It's not about how many times you get knocked down.  It's whether or not you are willing to get back up. 

Last edited 04/09/2014 5:04 PM by Thisfrickinguy

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 6:34 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Awesome idea guys,let me know how that works out with Patrick WilliseekeekeekeekeekLOL
Thisfrickinguy wrote: ---------------------------------------------
--- Chargerhonk wrote:

88 I'd block for you bro! But you might want Clary over me...which doesn't say much! eek

---------------------------------------------

Dude you guys gotta do it. You know how much salary cap space we could free up?


To be a Contender, the Luxury of carrying Dead Weight is not an Option
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:05 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


I'll definitely miss 88, but we'll have Sorn's who Beach says will be a good QB. So we'll be fine. Right Beach?....Beach?
It's not about how many times you get knocked down.  It's whether or not you are willing to get back up. 

Last edited 04/09/2014 7:06 PM by Thisfrickinguy

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:17 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Ok guys, lets leave Beach alone...His posts are all pretty well thought out, and while I dont typically agree with some of them, and despite the endless fight to stay awake during some of them, he has/brings a lot of good information to this forum. I for, one, am glad he is a poster and member....

you guys want proof? watch this:

Teo is the greatest LB pick of the past 3 NFL drafts.

Incoming!

Lol...but seriously, Beach, keep preaching bro....
"Strap on the Bolo Tie and then let the ball fly!"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:19 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Don't tell me what to do. Piss away
GoBolts17 wrote: Ok guys, lets leave Beach alone...His posts are all pretty well thought out, and while I dont typically agree with some of them, and despite the endless fight to stay awake during some of them, he has/brings a lot of good information to this forum. I for, one, am glad he is a poster and member....

you guys want proof? watch this:

Teo is the greatest LB pick of the past 3 NFL drafts.

Incoming!

Lol...but seriously, Beach, keep preaching bro....


To be a Contender, the Luxury of carrying Dead Weight is not an Option

Last edited 04/09/2014 7:24 PM by viseman61

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:22 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


squirrel.gif
viseman61 wrote: Don't tell me what to do. Piss away
GoBolts17 wrote: Ok guys, lets leave Beach alone...His posts are all pretty well thought out, and while I dont typically agree with some of them, and despite the endless fight to stay awake during some of them, he has/brings a lot of good information to this forum. I for, one, am glad he is a poster and member....

you guys want proof? watch this:

Teo is the greatest LB pick of the past 3 NFL drafts.

Incoming!

Lol...but seriously, Beach, keep preaching bro....
"Strap on the Bolo Tie and then let the ball fly!"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:26 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


MS on speed dial?
GoBolts17 wrote: squirrel.gif
viseman61 wrote: Don't tell me what to do. Piss away
GoBolts17 wrote: Ok guys, lets leave Beach alone...His posts are all pretty well thought out, and while I dont typically agree with some of them, and despite the endless fight to stay awake during some of them, he has/brings a lot of good information to this forum. I for, one, am glad he is a poster and member....

you guys want proof? watch this:

Teo is the greatest LB pick of the past 3 NFL drafts.

Incoming!

Lol...but seriously, Beach, keep preaching bro....


To be a Contender, the Luxury of carrying Dead Weight is not an Option
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:30 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


Was that the first official strike given out by the monkey as the new mod? Lol
It's not about how many times you get knocked down.  It's whether or not you are willing to get back up. 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/09/2014 7:30 PM

Re: Williamson on Allen 


noidea      squirrel.gif
viseman61 wrote: MS on speed dial?
GoBolts17 wrote: squirrel.gif
viseman61 wrote: Don't tell me what to do. Piss away
GoBolts17 wrote: Ok guys, lets leave Beach alone...His posts are all pretty well thought out, and while I dont typically agree with some of them, and despite the endless fight to stay awake during some of them, he has/brings a lot of good information to this forum. I for, one, am glad he is a poster and member....

you guys want proof? watch this:

Teo is the greatest LB pick of the past 3 NFL drafts.

Incoming!

Lol...but seriously, Beach, keep preaching bro....
"Strap on the Bolo Tie and then let the ball fly!"
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >