Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Jahleel Addae Take

Posted: 04/04/2014 10:53 AM

Jahleel Addae Take 


By Eric D. Williams | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND1TWEET1COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
In this series we take a look at 12 players for the San Diego Chargers who are 25 or younger and who could be considered foundational or impact players.
espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers

Addae
Player: S Jahleel Addae
Age: 24
'Wild Thing' c/y, BB

The skinny: An undrafted rookie free agent out of Central Michigan in 2013, Addae worked his way up the depth chart, becoming a regular contributor on defense by the end of his rookie season. Addae started two regular-season games and one playoff contest. Used mostly in passing situations as a deep safety, Addae finished the regular season with 38 tackles, a sack and three pass breakups.

Reason for optimism: Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano loves Addae because of his physical style of play. Addae also is an instinctive player who has a nose for the football. And that playmaking ability will only improve with more reps on the field alongside a veteran like Eric Weddle. In his last game of the year, Addae finished with eight combined tackles and a forced fumble in San Diego’s AFC divisional playoff loss at Denver. In his last five games, including the postseason, Addae played an average of 51 snaps a contest – so he’s essentially a starter heading into the 2014 campaign.

Reason for concern: Durability. At 5-foot-10 and 195 pounds, Addae has a smaller frame for the hard-hitting type of style in which he plays. So using preventive measures to take care of his body in the offseason and throughout the year will be important for Addae to consistently play at a high level. Addae appears to have the diligence and the motivation required to make that work.




Hey Guys, play the first half like its the second half!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 12:21 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


I think Addae brings presence, attitude and energy to the defensive backfield.. Has easily exceeded expectations as an undrafted rookie FA and has earned the right to start 2014 at the top of the depth chart. He is not without his faults, but he is ascending and I'm interested to see what his ceiling looks like.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 12:23 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Gilchrist will return to his starting position as safety with Weddle.  Addae will return to being the dime DB.

Williams will become the slot CB or nickel DB.

disbelief  All these analysis by guys that don't do the most basic research like looking at the roster. He obviously doesn't know this team.

Williamson talked about how the Chargers don't play man coverage. eek1

Maybe they didn't play man coverage the way Williamson envisions it because the secondary was all makeshift.  Cox the starting CB was benched and the backup was starting.  The projected slot CB was injured.  His replacement was injured.  They moved one of their starting safeties to slot CB and started an undersized rookie backup safety as his replacement. The safety drafted for that position is either injured or so far behind in development, even when healthy he can't get on the field.  And people wondered why the secondary was a mess?

Addae played well, but his lack of size and his limited range really showed last season.  He also doesn't play man coverage well (at least he didn't last year) so it limits what Pagano can do.  It forced them to play Weddle closer to the LOS more often than they normally do simply because they couldn't rotate Addae there if they needed man coverage of a RB or TE.

Addae has his limits and it's why he probably will never be more than a dime DB in this scheme.  It's the same limits they had with Taylor only Addae understands how to read plays and Taylor struggles at it. 

It's clear the author really doesn't know the team and doesn't understand what he's seeing on the field.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 12:36 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


I enjoy watching Addae. He was one of my choices in last years thread about which FA may make the team. I just wish he could stop hurting our own guys. Very aggressive, just a little color blind wink

Looking forward to see his growth from last season to this season. He could be a stud
 
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 12:45 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


We were so much more successful last year with Addae at SS and Gilchrist in the slot, I'd be dumb to mess with that dynamic unless Addae goes down. Even then Gilchrist was soooo poor at S I wouldn't be surprised to see Stuckey get the nod.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 12:47 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Hopefully Maui, last year was the getting to know ya phase, he should be locked in now!LOL

---------------------------------------------
--- mauibolt wrote:

I enjoy watching Addae. He was one of my choices in last years thread about which FA may make the team. I just wish he could stop hurting our own guys. Very aggressive, just a little color blind wink

Looking forward to see his growth from last season to this season. He could be a stud

---------------------------------------------




Hey Guys, play the first half like its the second half!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 1:14 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Syx Gilchrist didn't play as badly at safety as you say.  He barely got into the flow of the position before he was moved again.  Marcus hasn't played safety since he left college.  Obviously he needs s bit of time to learn to play it at this level as well. Part of one season is hardly enough to pass judgement.

Addae had his issues as well.  Doesn't cover well and limited range.  Unless he can improve his coverage skills dramatically this year he won't be starting and it would be foolish to do so.  He was actually part of the problem last year because he limited what Pagano could do with him.

Within his performance envelop Addae is a solid player.  The problem is that envelope is somewhat restrictive.  Brown is on his way out because he lacked the versatility to play in the new offense.  Addae must improve his range by being more decisive and quicker in his reads since there isn't much they can do about his foot speed (4.6).  That lack of long speed is part of his lack of range and part of the reason he struggles in coverage.  That is why he's a backup in this scheme IMO and to be a starter he needs to play in a cover 2 or some other zone defensive scheme.  As a dime DB coming in on 3rd and longs where they play a lot of zone he would be just fine.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 1:27 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Beach, the only thing you don't like about Addae is his height/weight. He's not enough of a sexy player on paper for you.

Take a glance at Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders, Ed Reed, Eric Weddle, TJ Ward, Earl Thomas, even Ty Mathieu as examples of what INSTINCT counts for in the NFL. All are within an inch and a few pounds of Addae, who will probably put on weight this offseason.

I agree his size gives him certain limits, but Gilchrist isn't 1/4 as good of a tackler or in coverage as Addae is regardless of size advantage, and that was proven the last 5 games of the year (including playoffs).

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 1:40 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 



beachbolt wrote: Syx Gilchrist didn't play as badly at safety as you say.  He barely got into the flow of the position before he was moved again.  Marcus hasn't played safety since he left college.  Obviously he needs s bit of time to learn to play it at this level as well. Part of one season is hardly enough to pass judgement.

Addae had his issues as well.  Doesn't cover well and limited range.  Unless he can improve his coverage skills dramatically this year he won't be starting and it would be foolish to do so.  He was actually part of the problem last year because he limited what Pagano could do with him.

Within his performance envelop Addae is a solid player.  The problem is that envelope is somewhat restrictive.  Brown is on his way out because he lacked the versatility to play in the new offense.  Addae must improve his range by being more decisive and quicker in his reads since there isn't much they can do about his foot speed (4.6).  That lack of long speed is part of his lack of range and part of the reason he struggles in coverage.  That is why he's a backup in this scheme IMO and to be a starter he needs to play in a cover 2 or some other zone defensive scheme.  As a dime DB coming in on 3rd and longs where they play a lot of zone he would be just fine.
I like the comment that you made that I put in bold above. Beach, your contradicting yourself brotha. If you say we shouldn't judge Gilchrist off part of one season, then why are you judging Addae on part of one season, and better yet Taylor. You sound bias. I really think Addae made the bigger impact at Safety than Gilchrist, he is more instinctive, reacts to the ball quicker, and lays the wood harder than Gilchrist.

Practice what you preach my man, don't be a hypocrite for the benefit of trying to prove your point. I still got love for you though brotha
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 1:43 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Isn't Gilly a converted CB, let them hash it out in TC.




Hey Guys, play the first half like its the second half!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 4:06 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Right. These battles will be fought and won in camp. But its true. The overall defense improved last year when Addae started at S and Gilly played nickle. Ive seen several quotes from Weddle on how high he is on Jah, so my money is on him being the starter come September. So my predection is this, CB#1 Wright  CB#2 Rookie  Nickle Gilly  Dime Williams
                                                  CB#3 Marshall CB#4 Ghee SS Addae FS Weddle

Cant stand the Donkeys

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 5:04 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


If he is known for having a positive locker room presence, Asante Samuel if the the price is right? There probably is a
reason besides age why he is still unsigned?




Hey Guys, play the first half like its the second half!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 5:07 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Again, I dont understand the hypocrisy here.....Gilchrist is betetr, and will be the starter, because of Addae's physical limitations/size?

 

Gilchrist: 5'10 198

 

Addae:5/10 195

 

Um....what limitations? eek1

"Strap on the Bolo Tie and then let the ball fly!"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 5:15 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Oh I get it, those three pounds that Addae gives up to Gilchrist, are what the coaches look for in game film, and training camp battles...Addae makes tackles and breaks up passes, but Gilcrist misses some, but because hes got three pounds on Addae, hes the starter...

 

Games are won and lost on paper, where the real football is played....Maybe Bob

Sanders never got that memo....Hell, Addae should just not even continue playing, those three pounds are his downfall already, hes got no shot...

 

Troy is an inch taller...So is Weddle.... Hes taller than Mathieu, Berry, Flowers, and on and on....Size and i nch or five pounds doesn not equate to success as much as you say it does.....

 

Lets just tell Barry sanders he shouldnt have played..... Gale Sayers......Walter Payton was Addaes size, and played a much more demanding position physically....I just dont get why your so hung up on size......

 

 

"Strap on the Bolo Tie and then let the ball fly!"

Last edited 04/04/2014 5:15 PM by GoBolts17

Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 5:24 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Except for Weddle, nobody Should be locked in, so let the games begin in TC!




Hey Guys, play the first half like its the second half!

Last edited 04/04/2014 5:38 PM by viseman61

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 5:28 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 



GoBolts17 wrote:

Oh I get it, those three pounds that Addae gives up to Gilchrist, are what the coaches look for in game film, and training camp battles...Addae makes tackles and breaks up passes, but Gilcrist misses some, but because hes got three pounds on Addae, hes the starter...

 

Games are won and lost on paper, where the real football is played....Maybe Bob

Sanders never got that memo....Hell, Addae should just not even continue playing, those three pounds are his downfall already, hes got no shot...

 

Troy is an inch taller...So is Weddle.... Hes taller than Mathieu, Berry, Flowers, and on and on....Size and i nch or five pounds doesn not equate to success as much as you say it does.....

 

Lets just tell Barry sanders he shouldnt have played..... Gale Sayers......Walter Payton was Addaes size, and played a much more demanding position physically....I just dont get why your so hung up on size......

 

 

It doesn't end with Addae, it's literally every player he talks about has to be a certain size/weight for a position, it's boarding on obsession.  disbelief

I mentioned the possibility of Hageman adding weight and playing NT today (a guy who will probably add 10 pounds minimum anyway)...and he basically rolled his eyes at the notion of a player gaining weight to play a certain roll.    He did the same thing when talking about Dion Jordan and Jason Verrett.  Nope every player fits neatly in a little box when it comes to beach, which explains why he's the only one who hates Melvin Ingram.rolleyes

Make sure nobody tells him Dwight Freeney is BARELY 6'1eek, dude has no chance to be successful in this league.

Last edited 04/04/2014 5:31 PM by syxwunine

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 8:02 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Size matters? Woe, are we talking about football? Lol
It's not about how many times you get knocked down.  It's whether or not you are willing to get back up. 
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 8:09 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


Crazy_349.gif
Thisfrickinguy wrote: Size matters? Woe, are we talking about football? Lol
"Strap on the Bolo Tie and then let the ball fly!"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 04/04/2014 8:16 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 


I think Addae is the LaDarius Green of our defense.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 04/04/2014 8:19 PM

Re: Jahleel Addae Take 



5,4,3,2,1.....
Awesome analogy
---------------------------------------------
--- yantha wrote:

I think Addae is the LaDarius Green of our defense.

---------------------------------------------




Hey Guys, play the first half like its the second half!
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >