Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Hogs will beat Auburn.

Posted: 7/19/2014 10:01 AM

Hogs will beat Auburn. 


Coach B is doing the right things.  He is building a program from the ground up.  That means it improves week by week.  They will stun the football world by beating Auburn.

1st--We have the best running backs in the nation

2nd--BA is healthy and I still say he can flat out throw the ball. (last year he was hurt and lost confidence in himself, that has been restored)

3rd--Defense was improving last year, but the new coaches will make a hall mark difference...........much stronger on D

4th--We have some real receivers

5th--our players from last year will be much improved

6th--Some new guys are going to step in and step up

7th--Attitude over all on the team is going to better.  No more merry-go-round with coaches.  3 head coaches in 3 years is just not fair for the players...............no stability.  Coach B is all about stability.......it shows in all he does.

Hogs 24    Auburn  17
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't quit, don't quit, don't quit, if the STARS FALL FROM HEAVEN, DON'T QUIT"

 

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/19/2014 12:24 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


I agree with your points. I'm just not as confident that it will all work so well the first weekend of the season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/19/2014 12:58 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 



EuroHog wrote: I agree with your points. I'm just not as confident that it will all work so well the first weekend of the season.
We actually played our best game of the year in the opener last season.  The biggest challenge, though, is correcting all of our many shortcomings, and wrapping that into a winning attitude for an SEC road game.  Of course, how well Auburn plays is also an X factor.

I suspect the line will be at least 17 or more.  I'd like to see us make the bettors wrong.
"Someone once told me, 'Time is a flat circle.' Everything we've ever done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again."
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/19/2014 3:00 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


Auburn is one of the teams that worries me most because you need speedy and instinctive linebackers to play good D against Malzahn's offense. Often you're flatfooted until you know which RB has the ball so you need closing speed and sure tackling. 

That said, I won't give up on the season if we lose to Auburn because I think they are a tough matchup for us where we're at right now. However, it would not surprise me at all if we rush for 275, dominate the rock and TOP, and eek out a win simply by vastly reducing the number of plays in the game. 

Shoot, why not, Hawgs by 9
Photo
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/19/2014 3:48 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


All good points.  On College Football 1/2 hour program yesterday, one of the ESPN guys said something interesting when saying that he didn't think Alabama would win the SEC.  He said that if you have question marks at three positions, QB, O-Line, and/or CB, then your team is suspect about winning the conference.  I had not thought of it quite that way before.  While I would like to think that our players at those three positions will redeem themselves, right now, there are question marks at all three positions.  I think it will come down to intensity and four quarters of focus.  I like what I see from the Hogs.  I'll be at the Auburn game, wearing my red, calling the Hogs, and drinking the Kool-aid.  Hogs in a close one, but.......
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/19/2014 10:07 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


Can't argue with facts that support a proper conclusion and wouldn't if I could. 

If we develop some defensive depth LB/DB(fact #6) positions between now and then, maybe AUB 10 or less.

LanceA wrote: Coach B is doing the right things.  He is building a program from the ground up.  That means it improves week by week.  They will stun the football world by beating Auburn.

1st--We have the best running backs in the nation

2nd--BA is healthy and I still say he can flat out throw the ball. (last year he was hurt and lost confidence in himself, that has been restored)

3rd--Defense was improving last year, but the new coaches will make a hall mark difference...........much stronger on D

4th--We have some real receivers

5th--our players from last year will be much improved

6th--Some new guys are going to step in and step up

7th--Attitude over all on the team is going to better.  No more merry-go-round with coaches.  3 head coaches in 3 years is just not fair for the players...............no stability.  Coach B is all about stability.......it shows in all he does.

Hogs 24    Auburn  17
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 12:57 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


I sure hope that LanceA is correct!!!  I have worried about this one all year since learning it is the season opener.  If this team has anything in it like many of the Razorback teams of the past, with a little inspiration and lots of perspiration they will have that ability to rise up and play above themselves.  If they do that they can shock the Auburn team and their fans.  I really do not think anyone even closely expects the Hogs to come close to staying in the game.
 
If we plan it right and execute it right that extra juice that can come from just being a Razorback and believing in yourself will make all the difference in the world.  Shock 'em by pouncing upon them in the first half and then don't, I say don't let up in the second half.  Do these things and the game will be ours...

Go get 'em HOGS!!!!  biggrin

Last edited 7/20/2014 1:02 AM by hogred

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 2:02 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 



I'll play...

---------------------------------------------
--- LanceA wrote:

Coach B is doing the right things.  He is building a program from the ground up.  That means it improves week by week.  They will stun the football world by beating Auburn.

It would be stunning. I think AU would win no more than 6 games if it doesn't beat the Hogs.

1st--We have the best running backs in the nation

I hate to say this, but I think bama does. The Hogs do have two good backs, but I'm wasn't overly impressed with the OL last year. AU's DL will be ten deep again, and it returns a very good veteran who missed all of last year. Losing Lawson will hurt, so we need a youngin to step it up at end. Look of AU to play close to 300 lbs at the ends because the Hogs are so run heavy.

2nd--BA is healthy and I still say he can flat out throw the ball. (last year he was hurt and lost confidence in himself, that has been restored)

Don't know much about him, but barring preseason injury, Marshall will carve up the Hog's defense. He was injured in last year's game and the playbook was very simple. AU actually ran a wrap around draw from the Hog's 8 yrd line on 3rd down that scored. This year there will be much more to contend with what was already a very potent offense.

3rd--Defense was improving last year, but the new coaches will make a hall mark difference...........much stronger on D

It will need to be, as AU offense will be much more potent. It will be a pick your poison as a defense. Roll down a safety to stop the run, which everyone did last year, and AU still lead the nation in rushing. Last year AU had no real consistent pass threat. This year, it will have one of the best WR tandoms in the nation with Williams and Coates. If Marshal completes 65% of his passes, the offense will be next to impossible to stop. It appears he can do it. He hit 59% last year, and led the nation in qbr the last 8 games of the season, while only having fall camp to learn the offense. So leaving the safety back will have to done as well. It's a catch 22 against AU this year.

4th--We have some real receivers

AU can roll 8 receivers in the rotation. All are over 6 feet tall and fast. Coates is 'freak' category. That being said I hope AU secondly does improve. With Hosley being healthy and Moncrief taking over the boundary safety, AU will have more talent in the defensive back field than last year. I hope with another year in the system, this translates into a solid unit.

5th--our players from last year will be much improved

Same here. All SEC programs have very good off season conditioning programs.

6th--Some new guys are going to step in and step up

We have a lot of young talent from our top 5 class that can step up.

7th--Attitude over all on the team is going to better.  No more merry-go-round with coaches.  3 head coaches in 3 years is just not fair for the players...............no stability.  Coach B is all about stability.......it shows in all he does.

13 seconds from a national title will make the AU Tigers very hungry. The Hogs will be the first step in what AU sees as a season of unfinished business.

Hogs 24 - I hate to admit it, but until I see the improvement from the AU D that I think it will have, the Hogs could hang 24.

Auburn  17- no way. AU scores in the high 40's low 50's. If the Hogs hold AU to 17 and can remain injury free , you will be in for a very special season.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 7/20/2014 2:10 AM by wdeagle

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 7:36 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


I haven't bet on a ball game in six years, but this one is begging. Right now the line is -22, and I believe we can run on their D taking too much time off the clock.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 9:00 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


You guys are obviously perched in a good position and are looking for a great year. I do think the bookies may have the spread a little large, but the Tigers should be very good this year. 
I personally just want us to play well and hope for the bounces to come our way.

As an aside, did all the trees die, or were some of them saved?  I have not seen much on them for a while. I hope some were saved or new ones can replace them.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 9:55 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn 





---------------------------------------------
--- bobrog4 wrote:

You guys are obviously perched in a good position and are looking for a great year. I do think the bookies may have the spread a little large, but the Tigers should be very good this year. 
I personally just want us to play well and hope for the bounces to come our way.

As an aside, did all the trees die, or were some of them saved?  I have not seen much on them for a while. I hope some were saved or new ones can replace them.

---------------------------------------------

All the trees died. Right now the rolling takes place over hung wires. The plan is to plant new trees, but the soils needs to be completely evacuated first and new soil put in. I am not sure of the time table.

I am not trying to come across as a jerk, but will the Hogs have more speed on defense this year? I know CBB has said the D has been simplified to create a more reactionary style of play. I think last year the worst defense AU played was aTm. The slowest was UT. It appeared to me that AU ran a lot of counter plays against Arkansas to get the RB's one-on-one with a LB. It seemed the LB's were a little slow. If there is an upgrade in speed, how mush of that will be new talent and how much of that is the simplified scheme?

On a side note, I believe a simplified D is the best way to counter act the HUNH. The HUNH on works on a simple and small playbook with options on just about every play. I believe the defense taking the same philosophy will be the way the HUNH is counter acted. Eventually defense will catch up, it always does.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 7:02 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn 


Robb Smith is as much a mystery to Hog fans as he is to the rest of the SEC.  Exactly how he'll call the defense isn't clear.  Right now most of us think he'll bring heavy pressure and force the issue.  Lots of stunts and blitzes.  It could cause some problems for Auburn, it may disrupt their reads, especially if Smith guesses right.  But it will also require sure tackling and solid play from the secondary, or the big play will kill them.

The D-line looks solid.  Depth at DT is a question, but the DE's have a chance to be exceptional.  The LB's are more experienced, but I agree, they seem to be a step slow.  Against AU, Arkansas has to crowd the box and force Gus to throw it.  Whether they can cover AU's receivers is a legitimate question, but if they let AU run it like they did a year ago they have no chance.

As others have said, Arkansas' best chance is to shorten the game.  Control the ball, play mistake free, and hope AU helps them out with some miscues of their own.  The defending SEC champs, on the road.  I think Arkansas can surprise some teams this year, I'm not convinced AU is one of them.  Arkansas will play well, but they're probably still outmanned for this one.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/20/2014 7:04 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn 


I believe you're right on the key to stopping the HUNH, the problem right now is you get guys who want to make sacks. Keeping the LOS and having LB's stay in gaps is going to cause it issues. We are still a work in progress, but I do believe we've improved. To answer your question yes we have speed and size at LB, something that we've been lacking in. Now as for winning, the three positions mentioned at first are the keys. I believe we've improved in two of the areas. In the third, well I'd like whatever Lance is smoking, shooting up, or snorting of he believes honestly that position has improved.

AUB 31-AR 27 much closer than anyone expects. I believe we've improved more than we lost, however I believe Aubbie and aTm lost more than they've improved. aTm last in the west.


---------------------------------------------
--- wdeagle wrote:




---------------------------------------------
--- bobrog4 wrote:

You guys are obviously perched in a good position and are looking for a great year. I do think the bookies may have the spread a little large, but the Tigers should be very good this year. 
I personally just want us to play well and hope for the bounces to come our way.

As an aside, did all the trees die, or were some of them saved?  I have not seen much on them for a while. I hope some were saved or new ones can replace them.

---------------------------------------------

All the trees died. Right now the rolling takes place over hung wires. The plan is to plant new trees, but the soils needs to be completely evacuated first and new soil put in. I am not sure of the time table.

I am not trying to come across as a jerk, but will the Hogs have more speed on defense this year? I know CBB has said the D has been simplified to create a more reactionary style of play. I think last year the worst defense AU played was aTm. The slowest was UT. It appeared to me that AU ran a lot of counter plays against Arkansas to get the RB's one-on-one with a LB. It seemed the LB's were a little slow. If there is an upgrade in speed, how mush of that will be new talent and how much of that is the simplified scheme?

On a side note, I believe a simplified D is the best way to counter act the HUNH. The HUNH on works on a simple and small playbook with options on just about every play. I believe the defense taking the same philosophy will be the way the HUNH is counter acted. Eventually defense will catch up, it always does.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 4:37 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn 



hawg66 wrote: Robb Smith is as much a mystery to Hog fans as he is to the rest of the SEC.  Exactly how he'll call the defense isn't clear.  Right now most of us think he'll bring heavy pressure and force the issue.  Lots of stunts and blitzes.
At the media days, CBB said that he doesn't expect a lot of blitzing from his defense.  That could be a form of deception.  I think they might have certain situations where Hogs will bring a LB or safety off the edge, but until we see it, I don't expect a lot of blitzing.  CBB has preached gap defense & sound tackling from day one and hasn't shown that he likes a lot of blitzing.  I think they had some mental breakdowns on the gap part last year, but it was the poor tackling that stood out as needing the most improvement.  I'm expecting to see hard pressure at the line against the wide receivers with heavy pressure on the QB from the DEs.  DTs and LBs are going to have to play run first against Auburn.  I hope they have their gaps down and they make sure tackles.  Also, Auburn has two great wide receivers now.  Coates is back and they picked up the #1 JC WR.  And, Gus has always used his backs and TEs well in the passing game.  Going to be interesting.  

On offense, I'm in the boat of having hope as my strategy, much as others.  When I look at the personnel, I see talent.  When I look at the returning starters, while I see talent, I also see past errors.   I want to see that talent translate to first downs and scores.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:04 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


Last year we won TOP by about 36 to 24 minutes. One of the big differences was turnovers, two fumbles lost and one interception. Auburn had none. Draw your own conclusions.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:22 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn 


Tevin Mitchel posted a twitter comment, that he can't believe how fast he is this year, he also commented all the DB's are over 200lbs this year. That could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

With him saying his speed and size increased, and everyone else's size I'm really hoping they all got speed increases too. May very well be leaning toward this is a good thing.


---------------------------------------------
--- bikehog23 wrote:


hawg66 wrote: Robb Smith is as much a mystery to Hog fans as he is to the rest of the SEC.  Exactly how he'll call the defense isn't clear.  Right now most of us think he'll bring heavy pressure and force the issue.  Lots of stunts and blitzes.
At the media days, CBB said that he doesn't expect a lot of blitzing from his defense.  That could be a form of deception.  I think they might have certain situations where Hogs will bring a LB or safety off the edge, but until we see it, I don't expect a lot of blitzing.  CBB has preached gap defense & sound tackling from day one and hasn't shown that he likes a lot of blitzing.  I think they had some mental breakdowns on the gap part last year, but it was the poor tackling that stood out as needing the most improvement.  I'm expecting to see hard pressure at the line against the wide receivers with heavy pressure on the QB from the DEs.  DTs and LBs are going to have to play run first against Auburn.  I hope they have their gaps down and they make sure tackles.  Also, Auburn has two great wide receivers now.  Coates is back and they picked up the #1 JC WR.  And, Gus has always used his backs and TEs well in the passing game.  Going to be interesting.  

On offense, I'm in the boat of having hope as my strategy, much as others.  When I look at the personnel, I see talent.  When I look at the returning starters, while I see talent, I also see past errors.   I want to see that talent translate to first downs and scores.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:23 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


Once again, turnovers didn't matter in the AUB game last year, the four dropped TD's did. The turnovers resulted in zero points.


---------------------------------------------
--- EuroHog wrote:

Last year we won TOP by about 36 to 24 minutes. One of the big differences was turnovers, two fumbles lost and one interception. Auburn had none. Draw your own conclusions.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:44 AM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 



LanceA wrote: Coach B is doing the right things.  He is building a program from the ground up.  That means it improves week by week.  They will stun the football world by beating Auburn.

1st--We have the best running backs in the nation

2nd--BA is healthy and I still say he can flat out throw the ball. (last year he was hurt and lost confidence in himself, that has been restored)

3rd--Defense was improving last year, but the new coaches will make a hall mark difference...........much stronger on D

4th--We have some real receivers

5th--our players from last year will be much improved

6th--Some new guys are going to step in and step up

7th--Attitude over all on the team is going to better.  No more merry-go-round with coaches.  3 head coaches in 3 years is just not fair for the players...............no stability.  Coach B is all about stability.......it shows in all he does.

Hogs 24    Auburn  17
good points all, I'm sure the Hawgs will be a better team this year, really can't disagree but with one thing, really don't see anybody holding Gus down to 17 points
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 2:31 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 


Anyone else care to debate "Turnovers Don't Matter"? Whether or not Auburn scored off the turnover does not matter. A possible scoring drive died. Valuable time of possession was wasted. The defense was forced to go back out again to face the onslaught of the the dreaded HUNHs. That matters. Three TOs to none matters, my friend. It might not have made the difference between winning and losing, but imagine if we had one TD more and they had one less, a possibility with even TOs.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/21/2014 3:07 PM

Re: Hogs will beat Auburn. 



Once again moot point my friend. The first two turnovers were after dropped TD's. AUB didn't get a first down on any of the subsequent drives. The last turnover was at the end of the game and they ran the clock out, so the turnovers DIDN'T MATTER. They had no bearing on the outcome of the game. However the 4 dropped TD's did. If we converted the first two we wouldn't have had the first two turnovers. The last one we probably would have been practicing hanging on to the ball better because we would have been running out the clock. Make any excuse you want about last years game, but truth is that was the only game I thought BA played well enough to win, and his receivers let him down. Now for all those on here hoping and wanting, three games we should have won last year:AUB (BA deserved to win, our WR's not turnovers killed us), aTm (couldn't stop Evans and we still had several chance to take the lead and BA choked), and LSU (team played great until a mental lapse by a freshmen, the team deserved that win). So I feel really good about winning at least one of those games this year. If we don't, it won't be because they outplayed us, it'll be because we made a mistake.

---------------------------------------------
--- EuroHog wrote:

Anyone else care to debate "Turnovers Don't Matter"? Whether or not Auburn scored off the turnover does not matter. A possible scoring drive died. Valuable time of possession was wasted. The defense was forced to go back out again to face the onslaught of the the dreaded HUNHs. That matters. Three TOs to none matters, my friend. It might not have made the difference between winning and losing, but imagine if we had one TD more and they had one less, a possibility with even TOs.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 7/21/2014 3:08 PM by bakedog19741

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >