Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall

Posted: 7/2/2014 10:39 PM

question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


Take the time to give me the great points on our lovely state.



i'll be moving to Arkansas in the fall. My family is originally from Fayetteville we moved to Memphis then near Clemson where i've been on my own since '04..... I have of course been to Arkansas many times but of course not every inch in this state and also some places outside of my family hometown i'm not that familiar enough......


Does anyone know where a great place to live if you like the outdoors (lakes, walking, views,etc) what are your personal opinions?

- DO YOU THINK HOT SPRINGS is the best place in Arkansas? so many tell me it's one of the best places in the USA and it's a summertime dream. Reminds me of the great movie with John Candy and Dan Akroyd '' the great outdoors''.... i've been there and my family has apparently decided to buy a cottage home on a lake.

- What other towns for regular life would you recommend me to visit to see if I would like?

- And on game days what would you recommend a must restaurant. For example BBQ. in Clemson we have a place outside of town that is popular Dabo Swinney goes there every week and a family tradition after games of his. I want to find a great restaurant to hang my hat for Arkansas games or even during the week.


Thanks everryone
Reply | Quote
  • Porkdiet
  • Broyles/Matthews
  • 6889 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 6:46 AM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


If you've lived in Memphis, you'll think Arkansas is Heaven.  Congratulations!  NWA is a great area, but of course, being from the LR area, I recommend Conway, Cabot, Maumelle...

Since LR is losing the big SEC games, you might want to think about NWA.  That's if you love Razorback football.

Well, it is hot in here Ricky.

Last edited 7/3/2014 6:55 AM by Porkdiet

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 7:40 AM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


The answer depends on your taste. If you like natural  beauty then just about anywhere in the state will be to your liking. The southeast triangle offers delta landscape while the northwest triangle is forested mountainous.

Throw a dart at an image of the state and I think you will be pleased to settle there. 

One eatery found in Little Rock not mentioned often is Frankies cafeteria. I haven't been there in years but the food was/is excellent. 

Last edited 7/3/2014 7:42 AM by Hogredblood

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 10:32 AM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


One of the great traditions in Fayetteville is The Catfish Hole.  They make the world's best hush puppies.  They also have fantastic steaks (although few know that, because the normal order is catfish.)

My Daddy used to say that the only problem with The Catfish Hole is that they don't sell beer.

The Catfish Hole is one place where recruits are taken on their official visits.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 10:46 AM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


My preference, if you like the outdoors, would be the Hot Springs area. McClards BBQ is the equal to most BBQ places and draws customers from all around the area. Hot Springs is nice almost year round and close enough to Little Rock for additional shopping and entertainment options. NWA is where I call home and its a great place to live as you know but getting kind of crowded for my taste. On a totally unrelated note, I have some lake property for sale on Lake Hamilton. 4+ acres with 200 feet of lake frontage. Just about anywhere in Arkansas is an upgrade IMHO.





Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position, but certainty is an absurd one. Voltaire
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 11:17 AM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 



TigerBBQ wrote: Take the time to give me the great points on our lovely state.



i'll be moving to Arkansas in the fall. My family is originally from Fayetteville we moved to Memphis then near Clemson where i've been on my own since '04..... I have of course been to Arkansas many times but of course not every inch in this state and also some places outside of my family hometown i'm not that familiar enough......


Does anyone know where a great place to live if you like the outdoors (lakes, walking, views,etc) what are your personal opinions?

- DO YOU THINK HOT SPRINGS is the best place in Arkansas? so many tell me it's one of the best places in the USA and it's a summertime dream. Reminds me of the great movie with John Candy and Dan Akroyd '' the great outdoors''.... i've been there and my family has apparently decided to buy a cottage home on a lake.

- What other towns for regular life would you recommend me to visit to see if I would like?

- And on game days what would you recommend a must restaurant. For example BBQ. in Clemson we have a place outside of town that is popular Dabo Swinney goes there every week and a family tradition after games of his. I want to find a great restaurant to hang my hat for Arkansas games or even during the week.


Thanks everryone
I`m from Conway, and while I do love central AR, if you want to be a little more "centered" to outdoor activities, like hiking, clear lakes, etc. and still have access to modern restaurants, shopping, etc. Hot Springs would be killer. Also consider somewhere in the Fayetteville, and surrounding area. Hwy 7 is glorious between HS and all the way north. Restaurants wont be a problem once you settle in. I bet you will find many good ones.
Stay at least one night in the lodge at Mount Magazine a.s.a.p.  do it when it`s super hot outside, and you will be amazed by the lower humidity and being able to keep your doors open at night without the bugs bothering you.
Check out Mount Nebo
Explore the "cossatot" river cossatot stands for skull crusher by the way. class 4 rapids.
Blanchard Springs Caverns is a MUST DO!
Float the Buffalo river
Float the Big Piney
Float the Spring River
Camp at Gunner pool and dare yourself to wade in the crystal clear spring water so cold it`ll make your unit disappear
Many, many, caves and waterfalls in NW Arkansas, some rarely seen and/or disturbed.
Lake Ouachita outside Hot Springs is one of the cleanest lakes in the nation, many don't know about it, and just settle for Lake Hamilton. Ouachita has hundreds of islands to explore, and it is a scuba divers paradise, it also has fresh water jellyfish and sponges because of how clean it is.

Unfortunately I reside just outside Memphis. We absolutely hate it here, but our jobs have us locked in. I am very envious of you. Have a blast in one of the hidden gems of this country.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 3:44 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


I love NWA! But Petit Jean and Mt Nebo in central Arkansas keeping making a trip down 40.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 4:11 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


Need more info.  Are you married?  Any kids? Age?  Small town vs large town?

I live in Mountain Home in NC Arkansas.  If I had to move away from here, yet stay in Arkansas, I would go to NWA area.  MH is a small town (12,000 ish) surrounded by lakes and rivers, good schools, and known as a retirement community.  Big Creek Golf and Country Club ranks as one of the top semi-private golf courses in Arkansas, consistently.  

Razorback Stadium-  2 hour drive
Little Rock               -  3 hours
St. Louis                     4 hours
Kansas City                6 hours
Dallas                         6.5 hours
Memphis                    3.5
"Luck is preparation meeting opportunity"  Vince Lombardi

Keep a light on some patrols are still out!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 4:20 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 





---------------------------------------------
--- worldseriesofPorker wrote:

Need more info.  Are you married?  Any kids? Age?  Small town vs large town?

I live in Mountain Home in NC Arkansas.  If I had to move away from here, yet stay in Arkansas, I would go to NWA area.  MH is a small town (12,000 ish) surrounded by lakes and rivers, good schools, and known as a retirement community.  Big Creek Golf and Country Club ranks as one of the top semi-private golf courses in Arkansas, consistently.  

Razorback Stadium-  2 hour drive
Little Rock               -  3 hours
St. Louis                     4 hours
Kansas City                6 hours
Dallas                         6.5 hours
Memphis                    3.5

---------------------------------------------

But more importantly;

Trout fishing 30 min
Small mouth fishing 35 min
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 4:30 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


I can have a line in the White in about 15 minutes.biggrin   Before my kids came along, I would leave from work on Friday, pick up a sandwich for later, and fish until midnight-1:00 a.m.  Those were the good ol' days, when it didn't hurt just trying to get out of bed.frown
"Luck is preparation meeting opportunity"  Vince Lombardi

Keep a light on some patrols are still out!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 5:18 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


Conway is pretty hard to beat, imho.  It is not too big and not too small. it is right at the Ozark foothills, 30 minutes from Little Rock (15 if I am driving), a little over 2 hours from Fayettenam and Mempiss.  Good eat with Mike's Place, Marketplace, Pasta Grill, Toadsuck Bucks, and all of the national chains. Three colleges in town makes for some nice scenery as well...
Keep a light on some patrols are still out! - RIP over50hog
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 5:35 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 


Is the catfish place still across from Ward's? That used to be a very good fish house. Changed names a few years ago, I think, but was good.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 9:34 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 



HawgnDos wrote: Conway is pretty hard to beat, imho.  It is not too big and not too small. it is right at the Ozark foothills, 30 minutes from Little Rock (15 if I am driving), a little over 2 hours from Fayettenam and Mempiss.  Good eat with Mike's Place, Marketplace, Pasta Grill, Toadsuck Bucks, and all of the national chains. Three colleges in town makes for some nice scenery as well...
I like the way you think! I love Conway, of course I`m biased since I grew up there. I would love to live in the Village at Hendrix. Everything you could possibly need is close by. Football Saturdays in Conway are tremendous with UCA and now Hendrix fielding a team. We will DEFINITELY retire there, but still a few years away unfortunately.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 9:36 PM

Re: question for Ark residents --- moving to Arky in fall 



bobrog4 wrote: Is the catfish place still across from Ward's? That used to be a very good fish house. Changed names a few years ago, I think, but was good.
Yes, still there a little bit down the road "The catfish house". The owner is a friend of mine. His first name is Donald, if you go and see a big guy walking around greeting folks, that`s him. His nickname is "Tank"
Reply | Quote