Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Interesting news developing

Avatar

Posted: 6/25/2014 9:49 PM

Interesting news developing 


over the last few days.  It was announced a couple of days ago that USC would begin offering only 4 year athletic scholarships.  Then today the Big 10 announced an endorsement based on that. This bears watching and could be huge, very huge, as an ex-GF used to say.
As the rules stand now each team is only permitted to sign 25 players in FB per recruiting class.  So, in four recruiting classes when a freshman class is now a senior class there would be 100 recruits brought in and signed by the school.  But wait!  NCAA rules also limit not only the 25 per recruiting class but 85 overall!  So, somewhere in that four years 15 players or almost four per season will have to leave early.  The problem as I see it is those four will have to be good enough to leave early by going pro.  That may be easy enough for a USC or bama, etc., but it doesn't happen that often for us.  HDN was the king of taking on projects.  Sometimes one would pan out.  We will not have that luxury anymore if that gets endorsed here.  Recruiting will become even more critical than ever.  Watch this thing develop...
Keep a light on some patrols are still out! - RIP over50hog

Last edited 6/25/2014 9:49 PM by HawgnDos

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 1:52 AM

Re: Interesting news developing 


That is without redshirting anyone.
HawgnDos wrote: over the last few days.  It was announced a couple of days ago that USC would begin offering only 4 year athletic scholarships.  Then today the Big 10 announced an endorsement based on that. This bears watching and could be huge, very huge, as an ex-GF used to say.
As the rules stand now each team is only permitted to sign 25 players in FB per recruiting class.  So, in four recruiting classes when a freshman class is now a senior class there would be 100 recruits brought in and signed by the school.  But wait!  NCAA rules also limit not only the 25 per recruiting class but 85 overall!  So, somewhere in that four years 15 players or almost four per season will have to leave early.  The problem as I see it is those four will have to be good enough to leave early by going pro.  That may be easy enough for a USC or bama, etc., but it doesn't happen that often for us.  HDN was the king of taking on projects.  Sometimes one would pan out.  We will not have that luxury anymore if that gets endorsed here.  Recruiting will become even more critical than ever.  Watch this thing develop...



Arkansan by The Grace of God, a Maverick by choice.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/26/2014 6:36 AM

Re: Interesting news developing 


Yes. RS will almost become a thing of the past.  How will a school be able to RS anyone with so few actual available spots?  A coach cannot "miss" on a player.  What am I missing here?

BigJohnHog wrote: That is without redshirting anyone.
HawgnDos wrote: over the last few days.  It was announced a couple of days ago that USC would begin offering only 4 year athletic scholarships.  Then today the Big 10 announced an endorsement based on that. This bears watching and could be huge, very huge, as an ex-GF used to say.
As the rules stand now each team is only permitted to sign 25 players in FB per recruiting class.  So, in four recruiting classes when a freshman class is now a senior class there would be 100 recruits brought in and signed by the school.  But wait!  NCAA rules also limit not only the 25 per recruiting class but 85 overall!  So, somewhere in that four years 15 players or almost four per season will have to leave early.  The problem as I see it is those four will have to be good enough to leave early by going pro.  That may be easy enough for a USC or bama, etc., but it doesn't happen that often for us.  HDN was the king of taking on projects.  Sometimes one would pan out.  We will not have that luxury anymore if that gets endorsed here.  Recruiting will become even more critical than ever.  Watch this thing develop...
Keep a light on some patrols are still out! - RIP over50hog
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 8:24 AM

Re: Interesting news developing 


When CBB has establish his program with several good recruiting classes in a row, I expect a recruiting class to average from 17 to 20 recruits a year.

When a school is signing 25 recruits a year, you aren't recruiting very well, because you aren't  retaining and developing you players. It is common knowledge that a player is stronger at 21 or 22 years of age than a player who is only 17 or 18 years of age.

If you are signing 25 recruits a year and redshirting several of them a year, you have roughly 25% of your recruits leaving without graduating or turning professional and your APR will always be borderline.

I expect Arkansas to start giving some four year scholarships, if they aren't already.



Arkansan by The Grace of God, a Maverick by choice.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/26/2014 1:21 PM

add in..... 


injuries and the depth that will be needed to play possibly 14+ games and suddenly you have.....the nfl.
left to his own devices man would eventually render himself extinct
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/26/2014 4:46 PM

Re: Interesting news developing 


Redshirting isn't what it used to be anyway. Many of these highly rated players are expected to compete and produce right away.

This will completely transform the current system. I just wonder if this is somehow greasing the skids to paying players. Or if it is a last ditch effort to avoid it. Definitely no 25 player classes any longer.
Keep a light on some patrols are still out!

Last edited 6/26/2014 4:49 PM by armyrazorbacker

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/26/2014 8:35 PM

Re: Interesting news developing 


A very interesting possibilty. I hadn't considered that view point. Things are changing a lot recently, I hope the NCAA can keep up.

armyrazorbacker wrote: Redshirting isn't what it used to be anyway. Many of these highly rated players are expected to compete and produce right away.

This will completely transform the current system. I just wonder if this is somehow greasing the skids to paying players. Or if it is a last ditch effort to avoid it. Definitely no 25 player classes any longer.
Keep a light on some patrols are still out! - RIP over50hog
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/26/2014 10:07 PM

Re: Interesting news developing 


Actually, the article linked does NOT say USC will offer 4 year athletic scholarships, it says USC will offer 4 year scholarships.

I would not be surprised if this means that USC will move an injured or flopping player to an alternative scholarship if they are in good academic standing, that would not count toward 85.
  • Go hang a salami. I'm a lasagna hog.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 11:14 PM

Re: Interesting news developing 


The NCAA made the change to give an option on length of scholarship two or three years ago.



Arkansan by The Grace of God, a Maverick by choice.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2014 2:11 PM

Re: Interesting news developing 



HawgnDos wrote: over the last few days.  It was announced a couple of days ago that USC would begin offering only 4 year athletic scholarships.  Then today the Big 10 announced an endorsement based on that. This bears watching and could be huge, very huge, as an ex-GF used to say.
As the rules stand now each team is only permitted to sign 25 players in FB per recruiting class.  So, in four recruiting classes when a freshman class is now a senior class there would be 100 recruits brought in and signed by the school.  But wait!  NCAA rules also limit not only the 25 per recruiting class but 85 overall!  So, somewhere in that four years 15 players or almost four per season will have to leave early.  The problem as I see it is those four will have to be good enough to leave early by going pro.  That may be easy enough for a USC or bama, etc., but it doesn't happen that often for us.  HDN was the king of taking on projects.  Sometimes one would pan out.  We will not have that luxury anymore if that gets endorsed here.  Recruiting will become even more critical than ever.  Watch this thing develop...

Auburn has been doing this since 2012
Reply | Quote