Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

The best recruting class we've ever had?

Posted: 6/19/2014 12:21 PM

The best recruting class we've ever had? 


I posted this as a reply, but wanted to start a thread on it so everyone would see.

All of the recruiting rankings are based upon a total point system.  They are not average stars.  We are ranked 21 on 24/7, but only have 9 commits.  If it went on average star ranking of each school's commits we would be ranked 9th overall.  We're 15 on Scout in total rankings, but would be 8th in average stars.  Likewise 18th on Rivals, but 11th in average stars.

The highest class we've EVER had was an 18th ranked class on Scout using a total point system after signing day.  I'd say recruiting is looking good.  In fact, THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE TO DATE.

This class could be the best class we've ever had.
Throwback uniforms-make it happen, Long!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/19/2014 3:50 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


Petrino's first class and the Class Matt Jones came in were very good classes three years later. Lots of good classes before the internet!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 7:17 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 



rzrbk32 wrote: Petrino's first class and the Class Matt Jones came in were very good classes three years later. Lots of good classes before the internet!

 
The 2008 class that turned out to be productive consisted of a number of highly rated in state players who were already committed to Arkansas.  Petrino can take credit for Tyler Wilson and Joe Adams, but it is actually sort of depressing to scroll through the roster of Petrino recruits since that time and see so many major recruits that did not pan out, or worse yet, whose names you won't even recognize.

In 2010, 2011, and 2012, Arkansas recruited approximately 10 four star or better players.  I think Brey Cook and Johnathan Williams are about all that's left to speak of.  At least half never played a down at the U of A.

Bielema's 2013 class produced as many players rated in the Top 10 nationally at their position (3) as Petrino recruited the entire time he was at Arkansas.  Petrino's three top players included Darius Winston, Joe Adams, and Brey Cook, all instate players. Two of Bielema's highly rated 2013 players were from Florida: Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland.  Hunter Henry was the third.

We have 4 four star or better freshman players showing up for the upcoming campaign. The only one from Arkansas is Bijhon. The other three include two offensive lineman and a cornerback.

I predict that the trend of seeking out top players nationally will continue, and the success of that effort will make more of our quality in-state players realize that Arkansas provides an excellent opportunity.

I also think the elite talent will be more evenly distributed by position.

Finally, for all the players who are academically eligible to begin with, I don't think we will have nearly as many whose names we won't recognize by the time that 2015 class shows up on campus.

Our coaches are highly experienced, highly trained, and highly paid professionals, and it is just a matter off time before the product on the field reflects positive results on a far more consistent basis than any we have enjoyed in a very long time.
This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”  - Charles Dickens

Last edited 6/19/2014 7:18 PM by NostraHOGus

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 7:57 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


Nostra that was a long (what else is new) and well written (again, what else is new) informative post. Bama, LSU, Florida, UGA, aTm and Auburn are all out recruiting us. Is CBB better than the coaches of these teams? He had better be or were in trouble.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Albert Einstein

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 8:34 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 



HogLaw91 wrote: Nostra that was a long (what else is new) and well written (again, what else is new) informative post. Bama, LSU, Florida, UGA, aTm and Auburn are all out recruiting us. Is CBB better than the coaches of these teams? He had better be or were in trouble.
There is a line spoken by the Samuel Jackson character in the movie, "The Sunset Limited," that comes to mind. Meant as sort of a corollary to the Biblical principle that the rain falls on the crops of both the just and the unjust, he said "that the sun don't shine on the same dog's a-- every day."

We are fooling ourselves if we think we will ever out recruit all of our conference opponents, when it is feasible to have a Top Ten recruiting class nationally, yet remain in fourth place in our own conference division.

The key is to make sure that we acquire quality players consistently, and develop them into a competitive team that can take advantage when the sun stops shining on LSU and Alabama.  And trust me, it will eventually stop shining.

A good coach and an intelligently designed and financially supported athletic development program should be able to compete on a consistent basis if the coaching staff can regularly recruit Top 25 classes. Talent definitely matters, and winners usually have a lot of it, but a lot of 2 star guys make it to the Super Bowl, and a lot of Top 10 recruits have had losing seasons at the University of Texas.
This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”  - Charles Dickens
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 2:18 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


CBB is doing great so far on paper.  We'll see if he does as well as Petrino on the field.  This team is currently a long way from 21-5 and a BCS win.
Keep a light on some patrols are still out!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 3:23 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


Petrino didn't win a BCS, he won the Cotton Bowl, that many "experts" thought should have been a BCS. He lost the Sugar vs tOSU.

You're right however, a long way from 21-5

---------------------------------------------
--- armyrazorbacker wrote:

CBB is doing great so far on paper.  We'll see if he does as well as Petrino on the field.  This team is currently a long way from 21-5 and a BCS win.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 6/20/2014 3:24 AM by bakedog19741

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 8:02 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


We were a long way from 21-5 the day after the Kansas State game.  I still haven't figured out why, but apparently none of us nor most of the national media seemed to pay a moment's attention to the players we lost after that game. Combined with the group that left the previous year, we lost nearly a dozen players, most of whom were Arkansas natives, who would go on to sign NFL contracts.

John L. was probably responsible for at least a couple of the 4-8 team's losses, but it would have taken all Petrino's efforts to squeeze eight wins out of that team, particularly after Wilson got his eggs scrambled.

I'd still bet money Petrino would have fallen back on Mitchell to bail us out of the LMU game and salvage a winning season, but then what?  I don't think we will ever really know what the future held for Petrino here at Arkansas.  The circumstances of his short time here were too fact specific to predict ongoing success at a high level, particularly since he was facing the challenge of an unknown cast of new characters.

I do recall that army was one of the most bitterly disappointed about the interim situation, so I must give him credit on that score.  On paper, John L. looked OK, until somebody stuck a match to the paper.

I didn't know army as well then, and I think I just lumped him in with all the other complainers.  To my credit, I didn't know at the time that he held sufficient rank to head up a whole department of complainers. I mean, we've all heard of "angels unawares" but I have a theory that when one attains a certain rank, he should be required to notify the average folks who are most likely to embarrass themselves. cool

armyrazorbacker wrote: CBB is doing great so far on paper.  We'll see if he does as well as Petrino on the field.  This team is currently a long way from 21-5 and a BCS win.
This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”  - Charles Dickens
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 10:38 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


We would be 9th on 247, and still 7th in the SEC, with Georgia and Miss St right behind. I've done total rankings and listed them on here before. We literally could finish with our best recruiting class ever (points wise) and not our highest ranking (18th), plus we would still be 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting rankings. We can not win this way. To use CBB's system we have to have consistent Top 5 classes. It won't happen here. We need (as much as I can't stand him) a Gus type coach. In order to even out the playing field like Petrino. The fast paced gimmick style offense will help, more than trying to out Alabama everyone including Bama.


---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

I posted this as a reply, but wanted to start a thread on it so everyone would see.

All of the recruiting rankings are based upon a total point system.  They are not average stars.  We are ranked 21 on 24/7, but only have 9 commits.  If it went on average star ranking of each school's commits we would be ranked 9th overall.  We're 15 on Scout in total rankings, but would be 8th in average stars.  Likewise 18th on Rivals, but 11th in average stars.

The highest class we've EVER had was an 18th ranked class on Scout using a total point system after signing day.  I'd say recruiting is looking good.  In fact, THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE TO DATE.

This class could be the best class we've ever had.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 10:54 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


bake, we're not on the same page.  If end up ranked in the top 10 in points... (which is what I was predicting) then we would end up better than a top 18 class.

Let me say this, I hate the recruiting stars.  The stars are only consistently on point if a kid is from California, Texas or Florida.  History has shown that.  I wrote an article covering top 25 classes and stars over a 10 year period.  Kids from small town Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Mississippi and even Georgia get overlooked all the time.  Can you imagine Korliss Marshall's ranking if he was from Dallas?  It would have been high 4* for sure.  I was just throwing this saying that this staff is doing the best recruiting we've seen since the 1970's. 

We "need" Gus and gimmicky offenses?  No we don't.  I'm not saying CBB is the end all be all, but he has proven that his system works.  And I get sick and tired of people saying if you run a pro style run offense then you are "trying to out Alabama Alabama".  That's so dumb.  Petrino never beat Alabama, bake.  The last coach we've had that beat Alabama was HDN who ran a... drum roll please... pro style run offense.


bakedog19741 wrote: We would be 9th on 247, and still 7th in the SEC, with Georgia and Miss St right behind. I've done total rankings and listed them on here before. We literally could finish with our best recruiting class ever (points wise) and not our highest ranking (18th), plus we would still be 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting rankings. We can not win this way. To use CBB's system we have to have consistent Top 5 classes. It won't happen here. We need (as much as I can't stand him) a Gus type coach. In order to even out the playing field like Petrino. The fast paced gimmick style offense will help, more than trying to out Alabama everyone including Bama.


---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

I posted this as a reply, but wanted to start a thread on it so everyone would see.

All of the recruiting rankings are based upon a total point system.  They are not average stars.  We are ranked 21 on 24/7, but only have 9 commits.  If it went on average star ranking of each school's commits we would be ranked 9th overall.  We're 15 on Scout in total rankings, but would be 8th in average stars.  Likewise 18th on Rivals, but 11th in average stars.

The highest class we've EVER had was an 18th ranked class on Scout using a total point system after signing day.  I'd say recruiting is looking good.  In fact, THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE TO DATE.

This class could be the best class we've ever had.

---------------------------------------------
Throwback uniforms-make it happen, Long!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 11:06 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


HDN beat Bama without them being the current juggernaut. He had issues with LSU when Saban was there. CBB can not win using his style. The conference has changed. Nutt (and I like him more than CBB or Petrino) would not have won 6 games in a season since 09. Petrino with the same class JLS had would have won 8, CBB wouldn't have won 3. Why do you think Gus played for a NC? Why do you think aTm and AUB gave Bama fits (even OU). The gimmick offense. Look over the last 5 years at the teams that didn't use a gimmick offense and ran the (drumroll please) pro-style offense and tell me how they fared against Bama.

I'm on the same page, you are overhyping our incoming class and not realizing that everyone else is recruiting better and has a better HC. That's an issue. I got exactly what you were saying and I've even said it before, this literally could be our best recruiting class ever and still be at the bottom of the SEC. CBB's style Won't win here.

---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

bake, we're not on the same page.  If end up ranked in the top 10 in points... (which is what I was predicting) then we would end up better than a top 18 class.

Let me say this, I hate the recruiting stars.  The stars are only consistently on point if a kid is from California, Texas or Florida.  History has shown that.  I wrote an article covering top 25 classes and stars over a 10 year period.  Kids from small town Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Mississippi and even Georgia get overlooked all the time.  Can you imagine Korliss Marshall's ranking if he was from Dallas?  It would have been high 4* for sure.  I was just throwing this saying that this staff is doing the best recruiting we've seen since the 1970's. 

We "need" Gus and gimmicky offenses?  No we don't.  I'm not saying CBB is the end all be all, but he has proven that his system works.  And I get sick and tired of people saying if you run a pro style run offense then you are "trying to out Alabama Alabama".  That's so dumb.  Petrino never beat Alabama, bake.  The last coach we've had that beat Alabama was HDN who ran a... drum roll please... pro style run offense.


bakedog19741 wrote: We would be 9th on 247, and still 7th in the SEC, with Georgia and Miss St right behind. I've done total rankings and listed them on here before. We literally could finish with our best recruiting class ever (points wise) and not our highest ranking (18th), plus we would still be 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting rankings. We can not win this way. To use CBB's system we have to have consistent Top 5 classes. It won't happen here. We need (as much as I can't stand him) a Gus type coach. In order to even out the playing field like Petrino. The fast paced gimmick style offense will help, more than trying to out Alabama everyone including Bama.


---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

I posted this as a reply, but wanted to start a thread on it so everyone would see.

All of the recruiting rankings are based upon a total point system.  They are not average stars.  We are ranked 21 on 24/7, but only have 9 commits.  If it went on average star ranking of each school's commits we would be ranked 9th overall.  We're 15 on Scout in total rankings, but would be 8th in average stars.  Likewise 18th on Rivals, but 11th in average stars.

The highest class we've EVER had was an 18th ranked class on Scout using a total point system after signing day.  I'd say recruiting is looking good.  In fact, THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE TO DATE.

This class could be the best class we've ever had.

---------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 11:23 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that no one really knows how the 2012 season and beyond would have gone with Petrino. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on what he accomplished. You have to look at a guy like Tyler Wilson and how he has performed since Petrino got canned. It seems that Petrino had some effect on Tyler's performance. So I don't think you can say that his results would have been similar because he's proven how he can develop players.

It's completely unfair to judge the talent that Petrino recruited under John L's direction. That's like judging Mario Andretti as a driver after his housekeeper filled in for him during a race.

It's also unfair to judge the talent he recruited playing for CBB because he runs a completely different system. That was apparent when Petrino was playing with Nutt's players. It's just not a good measure.
Keep a light on some patrols are still out!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 1:47 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


And don't forget Garrick McGee.  He left right before the wheels came off....literally. eek I sort of get the suspicion that Paul is not the offensive mind that his brother is.

On that ESPN special, McGee seemed to spend a lot of time with Wilson.

I think Wilson was injured seriously in the LMU game.  There was talk of brain bleeds and such.

I agree that neither Bielema or Petrino should be saddled with the events of the lost year.  But Bielema was the parent who returned home from vacation to find that the kids he left in charge had some sort of party while he was gone. You could tell that much from the damage that was caused, but I don't think the guests had a good time.

I think Bobby Petrino can call plays in a pass heavy offense as well as anybody in the world, assuming that he has a quarterback that can see the field and understands progressions and receivers who run correct routes. I do not think he will reach his peak, however, until he hires a strong defensive coordinator who can match wills with him regarding overall strategy and distribution of talent. We had our worst trouble when the secondary of the opposing team had speed and judgment that equaled that of our receivers and lineman that made our QB wish he hadn't gotten out of bed.

armyrazorbacker wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that no one really knows how the 2012 season and beyond would have gone with Petrino. But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on what he accomplished. You have to look at a guy like Tyler Wilson and how he has performed since Petrino got canned. It seems that Petrino had some effect on Tyler's performance. So I don't think you can say that his results would have been similar because he's proven how he can develop players.

It's completely unfair to judge the talent that Petrino recruited under John L's direction. That's like judging Mario Andretti as a driver after his housekeeper filled in for him during a race.

It's also unfair to judge the talent he recruited playing for CBB because he runs a completely different system. That was apparent when Petrino was playing with Nutt's players. It's just not a good measure.


This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”  - Charles Dickens
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 2:00 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


I don't think a "gimmick offense" is necessary to compete with Auburn, Alabama, and LSU.

Part of our problem since the Cotton Bowl has been that our defense has ranged from not very good to atrocious.  The only requirement for an offense is that it be able to maintain or dictate the pace if the defense succumbs to a scoring onslaught.

The number one requirement is effectuating an overall strategy that takes into account the limitations and strengths of the opponent versus your own.

Also, we shall see how well A&M does without Manziel.

Auburn has some of the best running backs  in the country implementing Gus's offense, along with some of the best recruits at most every other position.  We just need to catch up a little before we try to pass.

Our offense would be ready to go right now if we had a good decision maker at QB, and if two receivers would emerge as credible targets.   We need one that can stretch the field, and we need a possession guy.   We have all the tight ends we need, and I am hopeful there are enough pieces to shuffle in the line that we can compensate for the loss of Swanson.


I have no idea what the defense will look like, but I am glad we have a new coordinator and a great deal of coaching experience on that side of the ball.



bakedog19741 wrote: HDN beat Bama without them being the current juggernaut. He had issues with LSU when Saban was there. CBB can not win using his style. The conference has changed. Nutt (and I like him more than CBB or Petrino) would not have won 6 games in a season since 09. Petrino with the same class JLS had would have won 8, CBB wouldn't have won 3. Why do you think Gus played for a NC? Why do you think aTm and AUB gave Bama fits (even OU). The gimmick offense. Look over the last 5 years at the teams that didn't use a gimmick offense and ran the (drumroll please) pro-style offense and tell me how they fared against Bama.

I'm on the same page, you are overhyping our incoming class and not realizing that everyone else is recruiting better and has a better HC. That's an issue. I got exactly what you were saying and I've even said it before, this literally could be our best recruiting class ever and still be at the bottom of the SEC. CBB's style Won't win here.

---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

bake, we're not on the same page.  If end up ranked in the top 10 in points... (which is what I was predicting) then we would end up better than a top 18 class.

Let me say this, I hate the recruiting stars.  The stars are only consistently on point if a kid is from California, Texas or Florida.  History has shown that.  I wrote an article covering top 25 classes and stars over a 10 year period.  Kids from small town Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Mississippi and even Georgia get overlooked all the time.  Can you imagine Korliss Marshall's ranking if he was from Dallas?  It would have been high 4* for sure.  I was just throwing this saying that this staff is doing the best recruiting we've seen since the 1970's. 

We "need" Gus and gimmicky offenses?  No we don't.  I'm not saying CBB is the end all be all, but he has proven that his system works.  And I get sick and tired of people saying if you run a pro style run offense then you are "trying to out Alabama Alabama".  That's so dumb.  Petrino never beat Alabama, bake.  The last coach we've had that beat Alabama was HDN who ran a... drum roll please... pro style run offense.


bakedog19741 wrote: We would be 9th on 247, and still 7th in the SEC, with Georgia and Miss St right behind. I've done total rankings and listed them on here before. We literally could finish with our best recruiting class ever (points wise) and not our highest ranking (18th), plus we would still be 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting rankings. We can not win this way. To use CBB's system we have to have consistent Top 5 classes. It won't happen here. We need (as much as I can't stand him) a Gus type coach. In order to even out the playing field like Petrino. The fast paced gimmick style offense will help, more than trying to out Alabama everyone including Bama.


---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

I posted this as a reply, but wanted to start a thread on it so everyone would see.

All of the recruiting rankings are based upon a total point system.  They are not average stars.  We are ranked 21 on 24/7, but only have 9 commits.  If it went on average star ranking of each school's commits we would be ranked 9th overall.  We're 15 on Scout in total rankings, but would be 8th in average stars.  Likewise 18th on Rivals, but 11th in average stars.

The highest class we've EVER had was an 18th ranked class on Scout using a total point system after signing day.  I'd say recruiting is looking good.  In fact, THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE TO DATE.

This class could be the best class we've ever had.

---------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------
This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”  - Charles Dickens
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 4:37 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


I really don't think you will ever be able to demonstrate that this is our best class ever. Ever is a long time and you would be hard pressed to find rankings that even remotely resemble the current system more than 15 years ago. How long have we been playing football? No matter what, for the most part you will be comparing apples to grapefruits. Whose to say classes from the past would not have been ranked higher. I'd even venture that the class that eventually won the NC would be our best ever.
Keep a light on some patrols are still out!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 5:50 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 



I'll say it again, we don't have the coach. As for what you're saying, we have to make up for the talent level. The gimmick will work. I think the team will be improved, aTm, I've said before they'll be worse and not near where everyone thinks they will be. I think AUB has a drop off as well. The issue is QB.

QB will be an issue in two years, here is why (reason I say we have the wrong coach). CBB thinks BA is our QB because he has experience and that's the most important. So in two years, we will have a fantastic line, a WR (Robinson) that is quick and can get seperation, a WR (Jones) who is fast and create down the field seperation, two super backs (Collins, Marshall), and two possession guys (Henry, O'Grady). Yet the most important piece in our offense (QB) will be either AA, Peavey, Storey, or Ford (if the last two do come) with NO EXPERIENCE. That's why I'm on the get rid of BA so much. That year could be something special, but CBB wants his QB to have experience, not get it. I don't know how good AA is but if it's him he should get a lot of snaps the next two years. That's not what CBB wants to do however. With no experience, the other teams will stack the box and dare them to pass. Inexperience will kill us that year. If he gets Peavey or AA several games of experience, he could prove me wrong and win, but he just doesn't seem to get it.

As for defense I think this year will be much improved, but we will see.

---------------------------------------------
--- NostraHOGus wrote:

I don't think a "gimmick offense" is necessary to compete with Auburn, Alabama, and LSU.

Part of our problem since the Cotton Bowl has been that our defense has ranged from not very good to atrocious.  The only requirement for an offense is that it be able to maintain or dictate the pace if the defense succumbs to a scoring onslaught.

The number one requirement is effectuating an overall strategy that takes into account the limitations and strengths of the opponent versus your own.

Also, we shall see how well A&M does without Manziel.

Auburn has some of the best running backs  in the country implementing Gus's offense, along with some of the best recruits at most every other position.  We just need to catch up a little before we try to pass.

Our offense would be ready to go right now if we had a good decision maker at QB, and if two receivers would emerge as credible targets.   We need one that can stretch the field, and we need a possession guy.   We have all the tight ends we need, and I am hopeful there are enough pieces to shuffle in the line that we can compensate for the loss of Swanson.


I have no idea what the defense will look like, but I am glad we have a new coordinator and a great deal of coaching experience on that side of the ball.



bakedog19741 wrote: HDN beat Bama without them being the current juggernaut. He had issues with LSU when Saban was there. CBB can not win using his style. The conference has changed. Nutt (and I like him more than CBB or Petrino) would not have won 6 games in a season since 09. Petrino with the same class JLS had would have won 8, CBB wouldn't have won 3. Why do you think Gus played for a NC? Why do you think aTm and AUB gave Bama fits (even OU). The gimmick offense. Look over the last 5 years at the teams that didn't use a gimmick offense and ran the (drumroll please) pro-style offense and tell me how they fared against Bama.

I'm on the same page, you are overhyping our incoming class and not realizing that everyone else is recruiting better and has a better HC. That's an issue. I got exactly what you were saying and I've even said it before, this literally could be our best recruiting class ever and still be at the bottom of the SEC. CBB's style Won't win here.

---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

bake, we're not on the same page.  If end up ranked in the top 10 in points... (which is what I was predicting) then we would end up better than a top 18 class.

Let me say this, I hate the recruiting stars.  The stars are only consistently on point if a kid is from California, Texas or Florida.  History has shown that.  I wrote an article covering top 25 classes and stars over a 10 year period.  Kids from small town Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Mississippi and even Georgia get overlooked all the time.  Can you imagine Korliss Marshall's ranking if he was from Dallas?  It would have been high 4* for sure.  I was just throwing this saying that this staff is doing the best recruiting we've seen since the 1970's. 

We "need" Gus and gimmicky offenses?  No we don't.  I'm not saying CBB is the end all be all, but he has proven that his system works.  And I get sick and tired of people saying if you run a pro style run offense then you are "trying to out Alabama Alabama".  That's so dumb.  Petrino never beat Alabama, bake.  The last coach we've had that beat Alabama was HDN who ran a... drum roll please... pro style run offense.


bakedog19741 wrote: We would be 9th on 247, and still 7th in the SEC, with Georgia and Miss St right behind. I've done total rankings and listed them on here before. We literally could finish with our best recruiting class ever (points wise) and not our highest ranking (18th), plus we would still be 9th or 10th in SEC recruiting rankings. We can not win this way. To use CBB's system we have to have consistent Top 5 classes. It won't happen here. We need (as much as I can't stand him) a Gus type coach. In order to even out the playing field like Petrino. The fast paced gimmick style offense will help, more than trying to out Alabama everyone including Bama.


---------------------------------------------
--- OKCHawg wrote:

I posted this as a reply, but wanted to start a thread on it so everyone would see.

All of the recruiting rankings are based upon a total point system.  They are not average stars.  We are ranked 21 on 24/7, but only have 9 commits.  If it went on average star ranking of each school's commits we would be ranked 9th overall.  We're 15 on Scout in total rankings, but would be 8th in average stars.  Likewise 18th on Rivals, but 11th in average stars.

The highest class we've EVER had was an 18th ranked class on Scout using a total point system after signing day.  I'd say recruiting is looking good.  In fact, THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE TO DATE.

This class could be the best class we've ever had.

---------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------

Last edited 6/20/2014 5:52 PM by bakedog19741

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 3:01 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


Mr McGee lost a lot of my respect when he quit on his team at UAB. That just doesn't go over well in my view. While Petrino did have difficulties on D, I bet that all of the folks on this board would take his results right now if they could.

What I find interesting is that Petrino is quick to be blamed for the talent on the roster now, yet some of the same folks want to revise history and not give him credit for the talent that won so many games. If that surge was in fact due to an abnormally high number of instate studs had nothing to do with him, how can a lack of instate studs be his fault? You can't have it both ways. You can't heap blame and at the same time refuse to give credit.
Keep a light on some patrols are still out!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 7:58 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


While we seem to be in the mood for mentioning offensive coordinators, what about our current one?  I thought that he has the ability to recognize if he has any QB's with really good passing capabilities/talent.  If we are recruiting any or have recruited any that do then do you expect that the OC will not lobby for a more wide open offense that should also open things up for the running game as well?  If his mind set is not the same as Coach B's, I expect him to lobby for and have a say as to what kind of an offense we run because it optimizes the use of our athlete's skills.  If we do not use our athletes and get the most we can out of them we will soon see that we will not be able to recruit some of the more highly skilled athletes anymore.  Why?  Because we are not using the skills and talents of what we already have and no athlete worth his salt will want to come here and be under utilized.

So, why do we have to stay with a run at all cost offense if we have the talent to do more and be successful at it?  If BA is still the QB in the second half or especially the 4th quarter in any game we have a chance and are winning nicely this year, I am going to be very disappointed.  If they want to redshirt any existing QB's I think they need to be making some decisions early on.  Get the active QB's some playing time and develop skills even if it turns out to be evasion techniques.  Those wind up being useful from time to time.  These athletes should be choosing to be Hogs because they want to play against the best.  Holding them back from that does not do much for growth and development.  Coach P won initially using what he had to work with.  He taught receivers how to get open, mostly on short routes and in his words "fed the studs" being it running or passing.  Whoever stepped up got rewarded by seeing the ball more.  He gave athletes the opportunity to step up and showcase their cause.  Not all his early wins were run away scoring events, but we won more than we lost and built teams on the ability to perform.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2014 7:54 AM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


There were a whole lot more variables involved than just Petrino leaving.  So, you can saw Petrino affected TW's performance, but it is simply an opinion.  So, you can say his results would have been similar.  Because, that opinion is just as valid as your assertion.  My opinion is that we would have been better than John L, but would not have matched the previous year's success.  We definitely agree on your last 2 points though.  John L was a joke and players in a mismatched system are going to be ineffective.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/26/2014 2:55 PM

Re: The best recruting class we've ever had? 


The Best recruiting class we ever had was in 1961...14 members of that class started for the 1964 national champions, augmented by the 1962 class of 7 and the 1963 class which supplied 9 players for that '64 team, which eventually won 22 straight games. None of them were rated anywhere except by the coaching staff.rolleyes
___________________
Been there, done that.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >