Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 16  Next >

2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread

Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 1:36 PM

2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


ESPN reporting USC hires Sarkesian away from Washington, Sark tells NBC Sports he hasn't even interviewed.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 1:38 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Wow, there would be some Vandy and Boise State fans breathing their first sigh's of relief if so.
-------------------------------------------------------
Colts and Boilermakers fan to the core
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/2/2013 1:38 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



EastLansingAdam wrote: ESPN reporting USC hires Sarkesian away from Washington, Sark tells NBC Sports he hasn't even interviewed.

I wonder if he will underperform as much in LA as he has in Seattle.
U-Rah-Rah   Wis-Con-Sin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/2/2013 1:39 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



jhetfield99 wrote: Wow, there would be some Vandy and Boise State fans breathing their first sigh's of relief if so.

Petersen took himself out of the running earlier today.
U-Rah-Rah   Wis-Con-Sin
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 1:46 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Middlin coach. Should have just hired Orgeron.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/2/2013 3:07 PM

just read..... 


Sarkisian accepted USC job according to a CBS sports
2011 Resident Genius
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

Last edited 12/2/2013 3:08 PM by MrNubbz

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 3:55 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



bamabuckeye144 wrote: Middlin coach. Should have just hired Orgeron.
Bingo.  From what I gather, Orgeron is content being the DC for the Trojans, but I suspect that after having his first real taste of success as an HC, he might throw his name in the hat for a head coaching gig either this offseason or the next.  He probably won't get a big-time job right away, but I could see him having at least moderate success at a New Mexico State or a Southern Miss.
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -- Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 3:59 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



847badgerfan wrote:
jhetfield99 wrote: Wow, there would be some Vandy and Boise State fans breathing their first sigh's of relief if so.

Petersen took himself out of the running earlier today.

Or USC picked Sark over Petersen and he withdrew to save face. We'll probably never know, but the timing is too much of a coincidence to me.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 4:10 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 




---------------------------------------------
--- fezzador wrote:


bamabuckeye144 wrote: Middlin coach. Should have just hired Orgeron.
Bingo.  From what I gather, Orgeron is content being the DC for the Trojans, but I suspect that after having his first real taste of success as an HC, he might throw his name in the hat for a head coaching gig either this offseason or the next.  He probably won't get a big-time job right away, but I could see him having at least moderate success at a New Mexico State or a Southern Miss.

---------------------------------------------

Disagree. His strongest attribute is recruiting. He can do that at a USC, not so much at a mid-major. He's like a Mike Locksley to me, better recruiter/motivator than coach/program builder. The only way he wins as a coach is if he gets the job at a program he can recruit to, which almost happened here. At a mid-major he'd come off more P.J. Fleck/Tim Brewster than Pete Carroll.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 4:12 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


I would have went with Del Rio. USC and Miami seem to prosper most when they are seen as direct conduits to the NFL and I think Del Rio would have been great at selling his NFL connections to recruits. Maybe they thought he would bounce back to the League after a little college success.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 4:15 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



EastLansingAdam wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- fezzador wrote:


bamabuckeye144 wrote: Middlin coach. Should have just hired Orgeron.
Bingo.  From what I gather, Orgeron is content being the DC for the Trojans, but I suspect that after having his first real taste of success as an HC, he might throw his name in the hat for a head coaching gig either this offseason or the next.  He probably won't get a big-time job right away, but I could see him having at least moderate success at a New Mexico State or a Southern Miss.

---------------------------------------------

Disagree. His strongest attribute is recruiting. He can do that at a USC, not so much at a mid-major. He's like a Mike Locksley to me, better recruiter/motivator than coach/program builder. The only way he wins as a coach is if he gets the job at a program he can recruit to, which almost happened here. At a mid-major he'd come off more P.J. Fleck/Tim Brewster than Pete Carroll.
Not that there's an immediate opening, but I can actually see him having some success at Southern Mississippi.  It's close to his old stomping grounds, there is talent to be had in the area, and he doesn't have the same pressure as if he were coaching at an SEC school.  All he would need to do is assemble a staff that knows their X's and O's, and he can make USM respectable again.
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -- Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 4:21 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Aaaaand, Orgeron is done at USC.  Can't say I blame him.
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -- Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 5:09 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Local news in NC reporting mutual interest between Wake Forest and Pat Narduzzi. Man, that's not an easy first head coaching gig.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 5:21 PM

RE: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


If the Sark to USC news is true then as an ASU fan I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Yeah, Sark is definitely an upgrade over Kiffin but he sure as heck ain't no Pete Carroll either.

Your sports team will soon suffer swift defeat
That theory’s back by empirical evidence
We’re gonna grind up your guys into burger meat
Again, of course, we’re speaking in the figurative sense
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/2/2013 6:58 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Grobe was getting jobbed down there after what he did. He took a laughingstock program and took them to the BCS. I hope he lands somewhere where he is more appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
--- EastLansingAdam wrote:

Local news in NC reporting mutual interest between Wake Forest and Pat Narduzzi. Man, that's not an easy first head coaching gig.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 7:08 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



mjb34500 wrote: Grobe was getting jobbed down there after what he did. He took a laughingstock program and took them to the BCS. I hope he lands somewhere where he is more appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
--- EastLansingAdam wrote:

Local news in NC reporting mutual interest between Wake Forest and Pat Narduzzi. Man, that's not an easy first head coaching gig.

---------------------------------------------

Kind if interested to see what Grobe does.  He's never really had an opportunity with a decent program.
"Honesty? Treat women with respect? NO!!! DRUGS! STEALING! WEAPONS!"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/2/2013 10:51 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



fezzador wrote:
bamabuckeye144 wrote: Middlin coach. Should have just hired Orgeron.
Bingo.  From what I gather, Orgeron is content being the DC for the Trojans, but I suspect that after having his first real taste of success as an HC, he might throw his name in the hat for a head coaching gig either this offseason or the next.  He probably won't get a big-time job right away, but I could see him having at least moderate success at a New Mexico State or a Southern Miss.
Why not Illinois?  I think Orgeron has much more upside than Tim Beckman, who did a terrible job after a pretty decent start IMO.

“There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

- Woody Hayes

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2013 12:44 AM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



BuckeyeAvenger wrote:
fezzador wrote:
bamabuckeye144 wrote: Middlin coach. Should have just hired Orgeron.
Bingo.  From what I gather, Orgeron is content being the DC for the Trojans, but I suspect that after having his first real taste of success as an HC, he might throw his name in the hat for a head coaching gig either this offseason or the next.  He probably won't get a big-time job right away, but I could see him having at least moderate success at a New Mexico State or a Southern Miss.
Why not Illinois?  I think Orgeron has much more upside than Tim Beckman, who did a terrible job after a pretty decent start IMO.
Thomas already made a statement saying Beckman will be back next year.


Reply | Quote
  • ncbuck71
  • All-Conference
  • 1004 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2013 8:00 AM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



MaximumSam wrote:
mjb34500 wrote: Grobe was getting jobbed down there after what he did. He took a laughingstock program and took them to the BCS. I hope he lands somewhere where he is more appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
--- EastLansingAdam wrote:

Local news in NC reporting mutual interest between Wake Forest and Pat Narduzzi. Man, that's not an easy first head coaching gig.

---------------------------------------------

Kind if interested to see what Grobe does.  He's never really had an opportunity with a decent program.
Grobe is 61 years old, so if he does go elsewhere I wonder if he will follow in the footsteps of Frank Solich and find a mid-major program looking for some stability and possible success without any pressure.

Given the state of the ACC, I think Wake Forest would be a good HC gig for someone looking to cut their teeth.  A good recruiter can pull kids there.  NC will always be a basketball state, so the pressure won't be huge, but the reward would definitely be recognized.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2013 8:23 AM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



mjb34500 wrote: Grobe was getting jobbed down there after what he did. He took a laughingstock program and took them to the BCS. I hope he lands somewhere where he is more appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
--- EastLansingAdam wrote:

Local news in NC reporting mutual interest between Wake Forest and Pat Narduzzi. Man, that's not an easy first head coaching gig.

---------------------------------------------

Agreed.  He won an ACC title.  Other than Florida State and Virginia Tech, Clemson and Wake are the only schools to have an ACC title since expansion.  UNC, GT, Virginia, Maryland, Miami?  Nope.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2013 8:58 AM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 




---------------------------------------------
--- 847badgerfan wrote:


EastLansingAdam wrote: ESPN reporting USC hires Sarkesian away from Washington, Sark tells NBC Sports he hasn't even interviewed.

I wonder if he will underperform as much in LA as he has in Seattle.

---------------------------------------------

He took over a train wreck of a program and had them respectable in a short time. I like the hire.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2013 9:03 AM

RE: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


The Sarkisian hire doesn't exactly strike me as a "home run" hire. More like a stand up double. It seems like USC is grasping at straws here.

"Hey, are there any moderately successful guys out there coaching who were here when Pete Carroll was? Sarkisian? OK let's hire him. "
 photo Latimer_zps63b80ed9.png
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2013 9:14 AM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



fezzador wrote: Aaaaand, Orgeron is done at USC.  Can't say I blame him.
I feel bad for Orgeron. I personally like that he's done because I really like him and I couldn't stomach rooting for USC. I hope he lands somewhere and has great success because he seems like such a good dude.
Harbaugh or Bust
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2013 9:19 AM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



MaximumSam wrote:
mjb34500 wrote: Grobe was getting jobbed down there after what he did. He took a laughingstock program and took them to the BCS. I hope he lands somewhere where he is more appreciated.

---------------------------------------------
--- EastLansingAdam wrote:

Local news in NC reporting mutual interest between Wake Forest and Pat Narduzzi. Man, that's not an easy first head coaching gig.

---------------------------------------------

Kind if interested to see what Grobe does.  He's never really had an opportunity with a decent program.
His was a hot name 2 years ago for PSU.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2013 10:02 AM

RE: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 




---------------------------------------------
--- LetsGoPeay wrote:

The Sarkisian hire doesn't exactly strike me as a "home run" hire. More like a stand up double. It seems like USC is grasping at straws here.

"Hey, are there any moderately successful guys out there coaching who were here when Pete Carroll was? Sarkisian? OK let's hire him. "

---------------------------------------------

I agree that Sarkisian won't get the attention other names might have. But he was an asst there 7 years. Knows the culture, knows the area, knows the HS coaches, knows the conference. I really do think people are forgetting how bad Washington was when he took over. They were 0-12 the year before and 12-47 the previous 5 years before he got there. They were horrible. I know his W-L there wasn't eye popping but that was a hell of a reclamation project.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/3/2013 10:04 AM

RE: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



Kris60 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- LetsGoPeay wrote:

The Sarkisian hire doesn't exactly strike me as a "home run" hire. More like a stand up double. It seems like USC is grasping at straws here.

"Hey, are there any moderately successful guys out there coaching who were here when Pete Carroll was? Sarkisian? OK let's hire him. "

---------------------------------------------

I agree that Sarkisian won't get the attention other names might have. But he was an asst there 7 years. Knows the culture, knows the area, knows the HS coaches, knows the conference. I really do think people are forgetting how bad Washington was when he took over. They were 0-12 the year before and 12-47 the previous 5 years before he got there. They were horrible. I know his W-L there wasn't eye popping but that was a hell of a reclamation project.
How did things get so bad at UW?  Was it all Willingham or were they screwed from a facilities standpoint?
-------------------------------------------------------
Colts and Boilermakers fan to the core
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2013 1:09 PM

RE: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 



SunDevilFroggy wrote: If the Sark to USC news is true then as an ASU fan I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Yeah, Sark is definitely an upgrade over Kiffin but he sure as heck ain't no Pete Carroll either.
yeah.. Sark is like Kiffin 2.0  but a nicer guy.
USC cant seem to put the pete carroll era behind them.. their fans arent too happy as most were expecting a 'home-run" hire..
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/3/2013 1:50 PM

RE: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 




---------------------------------------------
--- calibuckeyefan wrote:


SunDevilFroggy wrote: If the Sark to USC news is true then as an ASU fan I will breathe a huge sigh of relief. Yeah, Sark is definitely an upgrade over Kiffin but he sure as heck ain't no Pete Carroll either.
yeah.. Sark is like Kiffin 2.0  but a nicer guy.
USC cant seem to put the pete carroll era behind them.. their fans arent too happy as most were expecting a 'home-run" hire..

---------------------------------------------

Yeah, but I don't remember anyone calling Carroll a home run hire when he went to USC either. He was a .500 NFL coach who was coming off getting fired by the Patriots. He hadn't been on a college sideline in 20 years. I don't get the comparisons to Kiffen, either.

Sark may fall on his face at SC but from what I know of his background there and what he did at UW I think it's a solid hire. Kinda surprised to see so many on here who think Haden whiffed on this.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/4/2013 3:15 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Very sad to see Vanderlinden leave Penn State. I understand BO'B bringing in his own person initially (although I didn't like Roof and was happy to see him go), but Vanderlinden or LJ Sr. should have gotten the DC job last year. No word yet on whether Vanderlinden left on his own or was pushed out. Rumors are a mixture of both.

For those who don't know, Vanderlinden was Penn State's LB coach from 2001-2013.  He was also one of Penn State's best recruiters. He has additional B1G ties to Northwestern, where he was DC from 1992-1996, and incoming member Maryland, where he didn't have great results on the field as a head coach, but laid the foundation Friedgen's success there in the early '00s.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/4/2013 3:20 PM

Re: 2014 Coaching changes/rumors thread 


Yeah, I saw this. For anyone in the Big Ten who needs a sound defensive mind and great recruiter, here's your guy.

I'm looking at you, Northwestern. Get rid of Hank and get this guy.
U-Rah-Rah   Wis-Con-Sin
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 16  Next >