Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

2014 Gator Bowl

Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 8:06 PM

2014 Gator Bowl 


Bulldogs and Cornhuskers in the Gator Bowl Jan. 2014
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 8:19 PM

Re: 2014 Gator Bowl 


Why would they want a rematch from last year? Seems odd to me.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 10:08 PM

Re: 2014 Gator Bowl (Sucks) nm. 


NT
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 10:18 PM

because the AD, Greg McGarity, accepts mediocrity 


it sure as hell didn't stop John Swofford of the ACC for using his politics to get Duke into the Chik Fil A bowl.  Our guy just sits back and allows us to get run over.  Leadership starts at the top and trickles down.  I love the Dawgs, but they will never get anywhere with the guys we have in place right now.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 11:46 PM

Re: because the AD, Greg McGarity, accepts mediocrity 


U don't understand your post. What does Duke have to do with a Gator Bowl rematch?

Whatever suits you, tickles me plum to death!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 12:15 AM

Re: because the AD, Greg McGarity, accepts mediocrity 


Mark Richt will coach two more years, and then sail off into the sunset.  In all probability, his legacy has already been cemented, and it is not likely that we'll see another championship under his watch.  With FSU and Auburn on the rise, UGA's recruiting success will suffer... 


Thirteen years at the helm and other coaches coming into the league are winning, and playing for, national championships.  Meanwhile, we have a statue standing on our sidelines.

Maybe Nebraska wins the bowl game and this bunch of clowns that we have for coaches gets run out of town.  In spite of all of the injuries that were being used as an excuse for losing games, there's still no way that we should have lost to Vanderbilt under those circumstances.  Special teams gave them 14 points.  You would expect somebody that makes $3,000,000 a year to at least put special teams on the field that are well coached...  There's just no excuse for not doing so...  You get a pass on the injuries, but not on the special team screwups.

WilcoxCountyPatriot wrote: it sure as hell didn't stop John Swofford of the ACC for using his politics to get Duke into the Chik Fil A bowl.  Our guy just sits back and allows us to get run over.  Leadership starts at the top and trickles down.  I love the Dawgs, but they will never get anywhere with the guys we have in place right now.

Last edited 12/9/2013 2:30 PM by hillbilly123

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 1:05 AM

They needed to... 


find somebody who Jawja could beat!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 1:48 AM

meaning the rematch with Nebraska is unacceptable 


The ACC commish pushed the CFA bowl into accepting Duke over Miami.  At the same time, when McGarrity could have done the same for Georgia, he gets a call from the SEC office telling him its Gator Bowl or nothing and he bends over and says ok.  \

He is as much of a leader as I am an astronaut.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 2:56 AM

Re: 2014 Gator Bowl 


A lot of strange off the wall posts in this thread. First of all, I'm not sure what more McGarity could of done. With an 8-4 record the Gator Bowl was pretty much a lock. The Capital One, Cotton, and Outback usually take the teams that either finished 2nd in their division or lost the SEC championship game, or the best of the rest the BCS didn't take. Missouri, South Carolina, and LSU all had better records than UGA putting them, justifiably, in the bowls they are in. I could see where you could make the argument of UGA over LSU because of the head to head victory, but LSU had the better record and their fans travel very well. The Gator and Chick Fil A Bowls come next.

Now, I think what most people are upset with is the matchup UGA has in the Gator Bowl in a team they just faced in the bowl game last year. Michigan was projected to go there and a lot of people were looking forward to that because Michigan is a big name program who UGA never plays. The Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl screwed that up by having the pick of a Big Ten team before the Gator Bowl. Minnesota could've gone to the Gator Bowl over Nebraska but they were afraid of Gopher fans not traveling well. Because when it all comes down to it, bowl games are about making money. If UGA had been picked for the Chick Fil A Bowl their opponent would've been Duke. I don't think many fans would be looking forward to that matchup either.

So everyone back off the ledge a little bit. Most UGA fans knew coming into this year, we were going to have an inexperienced defense and would have to outscore everyone. That plan was working ok until the offense lost all of it's top playmakers. Call it excuse making all you want, but when your top receiver is out from the get go, 3 other top receivers miss significant time, 2 of the top SEC running backs miss significant time, then to top it all off, your record breaking 4 year starting QB goes out, you're not going to be able to go 12-0 or 11-1. Even with all of the injuries UGA was 3 plays from going 11-1. So yes lets fire all the coaches and turn into Florida or Tennessee. They would love to be able to complain about ONLY making the Gator Bowl after an injury riddled year.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 6:57 AM

Re: meaning the rematch with Nebraska is unacceptable 



WilcoxCountyPatriot wrote: The ACC commish pushed the CFA bowl into accepting Duke over Miami.  At the same time, when McGarrity could have done the same for Georgia, he gets a call from the SEC office telling him its Gator Bowl or nothing and he bends over and says ok.  \

He is as much of a leader as I am an astronaut.
Thanks for that explanation. It's my understanding that the PEACH BOWL (I'll never call it anything else) doesn't want Ga. in the game. They want another team with traveling fans that will pump more money into the local economy. They don't want people to just come into town for the game. Swoffard needs the team in his conference that finished best other than the champion, to get the best bowl possible. The SEC didn't need that help.

Whatever suits you, tickles me plum to death!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 7:13 AM

completely understand from an economic standpoint 


and it's really not about the Chik Fil A Bowl at all.  The ACC commissioner saw a chance to lobby for a team to make their bowl.   It is my understanding from a few sources in Athens that McGarrity lobbied to be let out of that bowl because the Gator was going to select Michigan.  Of course, Michigan got selected right before Nebraska, and here we are in a rematch with the Huskers.  I hate playing a team two years in a row in a bowl game.  Nobody wants to spend money to go to Jacksonville to see the same show as last year.  All McGarrity had to do was put up a little argument and stand up for the University and the team.  He did no such thing, and bowed to pressure.  Same reason UGA is in the shape they are in for the last few years...no accountability and no leadership.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 8:59 AM

Re: meaning the rematch with Nebraska is unacceptable 


WilcoxCountyPatriot:

What position do you hold in the Athletic Department in Athens that gets you access to sit in on the Athletic Directors phone calls?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 9:10 AM

Re: 2014 Gator Bowl 


Georgia fans should be happy to be in a bowl. The dawgs aint that good. Like a fellow poster said they were 3 plays away from being special. Then yall could bitch about the bowl yall got. Instead be happy with the success yall have had and be thankful for a good coach. Yall should be happy and feel fortunate to be playing a team like Nebraska the Huskers are one of the top programs in the history of college football.  I understand that Michigan is also and yall played the Huskers last year and all that, and by the way it was a heck of a good game that yall could have lost (but didnt).
So stop all the bitching and enjoy the game it should be a good one again.

GO HUSKERS
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 11:53 AM

Re: 2014 Gator Bowl 



You make some good points, generally speaking. Of course the injuries on the offensive side of the equation made a big difference. We all know that... But, the youth and inexperience argument on the defensive side is full of holes. One might surmise, as to why we were in that situation to begin with... If you dig deeper, you will find that it is due to ineffective roster management over the last several years. Whose fault is that... It has come back to bite us in the ass.

Some point to the 2012 SECC Game and being only 5 yards away from winning the SEC and playing for a NC. They will, also, point to the tipped-ball and the lucky break that Auburn got in that game. If you're resting on those laurels, then I've got news for ya'... Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

When's the last time that we played in a BCS Bowl Game... When is the last time we have won an SECC... When is the last time that we have played for, or won a NC...  There's always some lame excuse being made...  The Dawgnation is growing very weary of the waiting until next year mantra.

Malzahn at Auburn is playing for a NC in his first year as the head coach.  Chizik won one there with Scam Newton.  Meyer won 2, as the head coach at Florida.  And, was in position to play for another one this year.  Miles at LSU has won one and played for another one.  Saban at Alabama has won too many to keep track of...  I think it's 3, while being at Bama.  And, one at LSU.  Heck, Fisher could very well win one at FSU in his 4th year as the head honcho of that program.  It's just time for some new energy in Athens and a coach that has got a pulse.

The guy knocking down $3,000,000, annually in his 13th year ought to be let go on the performance, or lack thereof, of special teams alone. That's straight up, inexcusable. And, don't even mention game management skills. That's a long discussion for another time.   Until then, SPIKE THE FRICKIN' BALL, and run two more plays.  We always seem to find a way to screw it up.
---------------------------------------------
--- catmajor wrote:

A lot of strange off the wall posts in this thread. First of all, I'm not sure what more McGarity could of done. With an 8-4 record the Gator Bowl was pretty much a lock. The Capital One, Cotton, and Outback usually take the teams that either finished 2nd in their division or lost the SEC championship game, or the best of the rest the BCS didn't take. Missouri, South Carolina, and LSU all had better records than UGA putting them, justifiably, in the bowls they are in. I could see where you could make the argument of UGA over LSU because of the head to head victory, but LSU had the better record and their fans travel very well. The Gator and Chick Fil A Bowls come next.

Now, I think what most people are upset with is the matchup UGA has in the Gator Bowl in a team they just faced in the bowl game last year. Michigan was projected to go there and a lot of people were looking forward to that because Michigan is a big name program who UGA never plays. The Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl screwed that up by having the pick of a Big Ten team before the Gator Bowl. Minnesota could've gone to the Gator Bowl over Nebraska but they were afraid of Gopher fans not traveling well. Because when it all comes down to it, bowl games are about making money. If UGA had been picked for the Chick Fil A Bowl their opponent would've been Duke. I don't think many fans would be looking forward to that matchup either.

So everyone back off the ledge a little bit. Most UGA fans knew coming into this year, we were going to have an inexperienced defense and would have to outscore everyone. That plan was working ok until the offense lost all of it's top playmakers. Call it excuse making all you want, but when your top receiver is out from the get go, 3 other top receivers miss significant time, 2 of the top SEC running backs miss significant time, then to top it all off, your record breaking 4 year starting QB goes out, you're not going to be able to go 12-0 or 11-1. Even with all of the injuries UGA was 3 plays from going 11-1. So yes lets fire all the coaches and turn into Florida or Tennessee. They would love to be able to complain about ONLY making the Gator Bowl after an injury riddled year.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 12/9/2013 2:50 PM by hillbilly123

Reply | Quote